As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where are the Big Guys?

2»

• Options
    pragmanicpragmanic Registered User regular
    Farside87 wrote: »

Where do you go to sell them? Is there supposed to be specific tab to sell them? I would like to try to sell them and my room that are already paid for so if there is a tab I am looking for it!

Craigslist? eBay? You probably want to just cancel your room reservation for a refund.

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    I've been to all the PAXen except Australia, some from early on, so I was only mildly surprised at how tiny South was last year. Even a PAX has to grow. And while I don't think you can say "there should be X number of 'big' companies", I do think it's fair to expect more investment from said companies as the event proves itself. Last year seemed to go well, so I was hoping for more goodness this year. But we do seem to have less (or roughly the same). And if the ticket pool was increased significantly, there will need to be more programming and activities to keep those people occupied. For me, I was shocked by Gearbox's absence. They are a Texas company, and they moved their big annual community event to South last year, which was great. The fact that they seem completely off the schedule this year doesn't inspire confidence. (At least we have Firaxis back again, whom I consider "big".)

However, it is way, WAY too soon to declare South in trouble. It's a PAX, after all. And PAX is a juggernaut. Most likely we will see a shakeout as it finds its identity. I'm fine with it being predominantly indie and board game focused, but I also want the big names to see it as a viable venue for their own wares.

• Options
    StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    While I wouldn't call them a huge company i would suggest giving grey box a look dreadnought was a blast to try last year.

• Options
    DolarrahDolarrah New JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I just got a message from Mark at BioWare and they will not be having any panels or significant presence this year, though they are still debating if they are sending "a small presence" or not, but he expects a couple will come from the Austin offices either as a group or independently. GreyBox has not publically confirmed anything other then a booth, but I happen to know a few people and there is "something in the works" that is not being publicized that will probably be the "BIG GUY" highlight of PAX South. That having been said, I was drawn to Pax East in 2011 because of the Small Companies to see games I can't see on the internet and might not normally be on my radar. I was corrupted and pulled to the Dark Side by EA's Knights of the Old Republic a year later where I became a Swag Whore for 2012 and 2013. In 2014 I went to east and brought my wife, and it was possibly the worst PAX ever, every booth seemed to be a "BIG GUN" and every attendee seemed hell bent on getting swag to post on E-Bay. There were some awesome parties, but the rude give me more attendees were just awful. I swore I would never go back to east again since it had become little more then big companies peddling crap that I already knew more about then they were showing at East months before I received my tickets. I went to South last year and expected East 2014 and was with mixed feelings surprised that it was not anything like east. Though I was still corrupted and wanted "Big Names", there were few and this lent to a lot of attendees walking around saying how much it sucked. The negative vibe was overwhelming at times, but once I got past that, I found the diamond in the rough that is what really made PAX great in the first place. Small companies who were truly interested in promoting the game, not multi million dollar sales. Yes they wanted to sell the game not by throwing a ton of swag at you, but by releasing a QUALITY GAME that would be enjoyable to play. To me this is what PAX is about, friends, new experiences and stuff that has more money spent on development then marketing. Will I miss the friends I have made at Microsoft, BioWare, EA, WB/Turbine? I will, but now that I know they won't be there I can focus again on why I went to my first PAX years ago, to enjoy the community and learn about new things.

Look for me in the Indies and table top areas once more. And to steal the East slogan that no longer applies to east....

WELCOME HOME

Dolarrah on
  • Options
    Just pointing out that there is more to "big names" that faceless corporations shoving the latest AAA title down our collective throats on the expo floor. Personally, I have close to zero interest in playing the newest big game demo that will be widely available online weeks later. But you can't deny that booths for the latest COD or what have you are insanely popular. For me, I like "big names" for the panels. Indies are great. Small titles are great. But I also love hearing about ongoing design decisions or post-mortems on popular AAA titles like Skyrim or BioShock. And it's fun when companies like Gearbox use an event like PAX to simply thank their fan base with a big party atmosphere.

• Options
    Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    indie guys don't have anything to give a way much,,, skins, keys t shirts thats the swag that makes pax awesome

This comment makes me sad. I go to PAX to game, not to collect a bunch of swag. If swag is why you're going to PAX, I really think you're missing the point.

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2016
    I think everyone gets something different from PAX, but yeah t-shirts (and really swag in general) are not even on my list of reasons I would go. If anything I try to specifically not acquire free t-shirts.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    KcCrystalMGKcCrystalMG Registered User regular
    The main reason I'm going is to meet up with people I've met on Twitch over the years. Not worried about games, panels exctra. For me it's having fun, sharing a common bond and finally getting a change to hang out with my online family.

• Options
    Yup, everyone gets something different out of a big event like PAX. No need to look down our noses at anyone based on what they enjoy about it. :P

• Options
    Goddess of MadnessGoddess of Madness Registered User regular
    PAX is many things to many people, I just find it hard to believe taking out one positive thing out of so many makes it a bad PAX

• Options
    Bartoni33Bartoni33 Southern IllinoisRegistered User regular
    PAX is many things to many people, I just find it hard to believe taking out one positive thing out of so many makes it a bad PAX

Well speaking for myself I am not saying that South will be "bad" in any way. I am just disappointed that it is not more like the other ones. I am OK with South being the "indie one". I just think it should be advertised as such. Expectations and all. Maybe I am wrong on this? I just started paying attention to PAX around last year before South. All the news stories and talk surrounding East and Prime were all about the "big names" and the games they were displaying. Did I assume much? Yes I did. Nothing was pointing me in an opposite direction.

So no "big names" at South? Oh well I'm still going and will find fun where I can. Will I get tickets for next years South? Not until I see the full schedule before hand.

• Options
    ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    There are "big names" that I would have liked to see, but not one that I had as a requirement for attending.

I am a little saddened that Wizards of the Coast is not making a return. Since I'm heading out there by myself for this round, I was thinking I could take the time to do one of the Magic demos they were offering last year, since it has been so long since I have played. I doubt Cascade will have free decks and people to go over the game.
    Very minor, I already know I'll have fun outside of that.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    Bartoni33 wrote: »
    I am OK with South being the "indie one". I just think it should be advertised as such.

I doubt there is a specific intention to be strictly indie, especially when you consider the size of the venue (just look at the size of the space they'll be able to use in 2017 and on). Advertising it as such would seem peculiar.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    In my experience the presence of the big vendors is very often tied to release date. East a few years back was short on AAA's, but some publishers were there with the lesser franchises. The following year was announcement time for some big releases. We had a ton of fun 2 years back when East was overrun with indies and smaller releases. I'd much rather walk the indie megabooth and talk to devs and buy game codes on business cards than wait 2 hours to play a pre-alpha or watch a demo reel in a AAA booth.

You have to remember the huge booths are a big marketing expense for these companies and if they can't turn it into sales right away, it's hard to get someone to sign off on the expense. They're going to want the big hyped up booth within a month or two of launch, or maybe right after. For example since Battleborn's date has been pushed back, it makes way more sense to get it polished and then hype it at PAX East a month or so before release. so they can show a more polished version and do presales.

Anyway, really excited for South, hoping to get more tabletop demos and BYOC gaming done.

• Options
    dasr1985dasr1985 Registered User new member
    A few things to keep in mind when it comes to whether or not there are rooms for "Big Names" on the floor at Pax South is that there is currently limited floor space for the booths that have either been purchased for this year ahead of time in contract, or they aren't big enough to support the additional AAA game producers. IT could be a matter of domain also, with small companies like petroglyph that helped launch games like "Grey Goo" it was only slightly sensible that they got to take the forefront of Pax South last year on their launch date. That's not to say that there is some kind of honor system amongst big title game developers, after all money talks and if you're too dumb to speak the language you get left behind. I just think with a few decent developers and publishers being in Texas, they are probably trying to take Pax South as their headlining gig... can't say much for the lack of Gearbox this year though.. they def seem to be only semi involved compared to their huge presence last year. Just my .02 worth of thought.

• Options
    Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    I have to admit, I am a bit concerned with the lack of "big names".
    Yes, I'd like to see some of them.

More importantly, it has a big impact on the viability of the show as a whole. I've attended 100's of tradeshows. E3, arcade industry, building products, architecture, etc.

If there aren't big anchors, it increases the cost of the booths for the smaller exhibitors, as well as the cost of the tickets for attendees. This means less exhibitors, which means less attendees. It's a balancing act to be sure, b/c if you get too big, you end up with SDCC issues, or even E3 at it's peak.

It's also nice for the smaller indies to know that the big guys are there, as a surprising number of deals get made at expo's too, or at least started.

I'm still excited, and look forward to attending.

• Options
    DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    Kerbob97 wrote: »
    I have to admit, I am a bit concerned with the lack of "big names".
    Yes, I'd like to see some of them.

More importantly, it has a big impact on the viability of the show as a whole. I've attended 100's of tradeshows. E3, arcade industry, building products, architecture, etc.

If there aren't big anchors, it increases the cost of the booths for the smaller exhibitors, as well as the cost of the tickets for attendees. This means less exhibitors, which means less attendees. It's a balancing act to be sure, b/c if you get too big, you end up with SDCC issues, or even E3 at it's peak.

It's also nice for the smaller indies to know that the big guys are there, as a surprising number of deals get made at expo's too, or at least started.

I'm still excited, and look forward to attending.

I'm not sure that it means higher ticket prices, I mean South is cheaper than the other PAXs. Increased consumer demand will drive up ticket prices and generally those big names will drive up consumer demand. And I would assume it would work the opposite way, when there is bigger demand for floor space (meaning the big companies) prices would go up.

• Options
    shepdshepd Registered User regular
    shimwood wrote: »
    For the record: I'm kinda a big guy and I'll be there :P

Well, to kill your joke, I'm saying the same thing. Mostly because I'm tired of booths that are nice enough to give out T-Shirts that would have fit me 25 years ago before I stopped growing taller (and then fatter).

Seriously, if you're going to give out t-shirts, consider going up to XXL or larger, and consider that there's more than one dude who's fat that likes your game. Don't just ask all your thin buddies who man the booth their sizes and buy based on that, because us fat guys typically avoid customer facing jobs, and that means your count is not representative of average.

Yeah, I could stand to lose weight. But it sure won't be because you gave me a t-shirt that won't fit, because if that was gonna work, those t-shirts have been in my closet for 20 years gathering dust and haven't worked as motivation. :P

Not that I'm unappreciative of the thought, of course I'm grateful for any knick-knack someone gifts me. But I'm REALLY impressed when they give me clothing that I can squeeze into.

/rant off

• Options
    electricstormelectricstorm Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Any updates on Bioware's presence?

• Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    electricstormelectricstorm Austin, TXRegistered User regular
  • Options
    shepd wrote: »
    Seriously, if you're going to give out t-shirts, consider going up to XXL or larger, and consider that there's more than one dude who's fat that likes your game. Don't just ask all your thin buddies who man the booth their sizes and buy based on that, because us fat guys typically avoid customer facing jobs, and that means your count is not representative of average.

Unless you are talking about some brand-new micro company, I can assure that all of the established game vendors are well aware of how heavy most of us are. I know it's frustrating not getting the size you need, but it's not from some monumental lack of awareness. As someone who has dealt with shirts for PAX, the more likely culprit is the most obvious one--all the big shirts were snapped up immediately. Or, if the supply has traveled to more than one big show, they were snapped up at another event entirely. (Just to give you the flip side--the complaint I heard 7-8 years ago was there weren't enough smalls and women's cuts to accommodate all the female fans who were now attending events and were sick of being offered men's shirts and in sizes way too big. Lots of complaints about having to wear our shirts to bed because they were too large for anything else!) :P