As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX South 2016 Cosplays/Costumes

2»

• Options
    cnsgn2oblvncnsgn2oblvn Registered User new member
    I'll be Lara Croft and bf will be Nathan Drake. We also may be doing Diablo III Wizard and Crusader....We'll see how much time and $$ I have :)

• Options
    Rotzi131Rotzi131 Photographer Louisville Registered User new member
    edited December 2015
    HI guys! I'm a cosplay photographer heading to Pax this year! Good luck with all your builds! (mod edit: removed promotional link)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    podunk the mightypodunk the mighty Game Designer TexasRegistered User regular
    I'll be going in my John Marston costume from PAX Prime on at least one of the days. Wearing it throughout Prime was a bit much though so it probably won't be the whole weekend. CYyZgdN.jpg

On Their Merry Way Is On Kickstarter Today!
    I design games under the name New Experience Workshop.
    Website. Facebook. Twitter.
  • Options
    village alchemistvillage alchemist Library Lurker Collegetown, TXRegistered User regular
    i'll be wearing punk sailor jupiter, most likely on friday, and then an original costume on saturday of a victorian widow in half mourning. sunday is all about the kigurumi.

• Options
    palppalp Registered User regular
    My wife is putting together a Tank Girl costume, and we're wondering if having a shirt saying "Fuck This Shit" would be kosher, or if we should consider a softer message. Thanks!

• Options
    elizaseaelizasea Registered User new member
    I'm working on Rose Quartz from Steven Universe and my bff is going as punk Sailor Jupiter.

• Options
    DevierueDevierue Registered User regular
    palp wrote: »
    we're wondering if having a shirt saying "Fuck This Shit" would be kosher, or if we should consider a softer message. Thanks!

I don't think that most people would be bothered (I'm not an authority on propriety, though), but if you're worried about it just alter the vowels.

Off-the-top-of-my-head example:Turn the 'u' into a bomb and the 'i' into a skull. Or other symbols. Asterisks are cool in their own right, but why not get creative?

• Options
    village alchemistvillage alchemist Library Lurker Collegetown, TXRegistered User regular
    i have a patch on punk jupiter that says 'fuck beauty standards' and just to be careful when i sewed it onto my vest i embroidered an X over the U in 'fuck'. plus it looks cool. ;)

• Options
    palppalp Registered User regular
    Thanks! I think we'll be leaning toward keeping it a little family friendly, just in case... and Punk Sailor Jupiter sounds rad.

• Options
    animefreak34animefreak34 Registered User new member
    I'll probably go as a steampunk assassin. My friend wants to go as a vault wanderer and borrow my pipboy. What a weird combo we'll be, haha!

• Options
    CupcakesFTWCupcakesFTW TexasRegistered User new member
    Ok so, another question on what's acceptable or not: is there a rule against too much booty in your cosplay? I have a Raven cosplay underway as an option, but the leotard doesn't cover much in the booty region. What's the general opinion on ample booty?

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2016
    Generally the policy for attendees has been as long as one's bits are covered, it's ok. However, I do remember a Zangief cosplayer one PAX whose man thong was deemed not covering enough.

I would say prevailing wisdom is that in general cosplayers that are not exhibitors at the show are not scrutinized much for outfits, but it can happen. I believe the Zangief had another pair of shorts that covered up a little more, and switched into those (although I may be remembering this wrong). I have also seen some pretty accurate Cammy cosplays though that haven't been issues.

I'm certainly no authority on the policy, but I would say go for whatever you want to try as long as it meets the minimum covering-bits-ness, and plan a potential option if asked to cover more.

The official wording of the policy is as follows:
    Cosplaying attendees may be asked to alter or modify their costume if it is considered overtly sexual.
    from http://south.paxsite.com/safety-and-security

zerzhul on
  • Options
    palp wrote: »
    Thanks! I think we'll be leaning toward keeping it a little family friendly, just in case... and Punk Sailor Jupiter sounds rad.

thanks! :D and good luck with yours! i'm sure it'll be awesome. i honestly didn't see much in the way of people getting in trouble for cosplay last year, so you should be safe.

• Options
    AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Ok so, another question on what's acceptable or not: is there a rule against too much booty in your cosplay? I have a Raven cosplay underway as an option, but the leotard doesn't cover much in the booty region. What's the general opinion on ample booty?

Without seeing your costume in advance I can't give you a ruling. In general the rules for attendees are not strict as for paid models. I can't remember a Cammy being asked to change. In fact I can't remember any other attendee other than the Zangief being asked to change. You're probably going to be fine, but posting a picture would help me advice you.

AaronC on
  • Options
    DarkNutKDDarkNutKD Registered User regular
    I'll be going as Crono from Chrono Trigger myself. First time with this costume, and had to make a few small budget cuts with it, but hopefully it will still look good for PAX.

• Options
    DeviousAmbitionDeviousAmbition TexasRegistered User new member
    I'll be doing a few cosplays this year myself. Friday Kirito from Sword Art Online with my friend who will be Agil from the same. Saturday I will be coming as Sans from Undertale, really excited to do this one since its a new build I am doing from scratch. Sunday, I am not really sure just yet it might be my fun day of something off the wall.

Looking forward to seeing all the other cosplays this year, it was great last year!

• Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    I finished my two Pokemon cosplays, but now I am getting a little bit down on myself. I know my costumes while being good won't be as eye popping as some of the other ideas I have seen on here. But at the same time I am super proud of the fact that I sewed two garments for the first time ever! Even if they are a bit simpler then I had intended. ( My ideas and reality had a few run ins while I made my stuff lol) Any experienced cosplayers out there have any tips on how to make that little self doubting voice in your head any smaller?

• Options
    DoctorbatmanDoctorbatman Registered User regular
    Dropped the ball on getting a vault suit hoodie so I'm gonna go the subtle joke route and put a "blue screen of death" print out in my pip-boy. Also, I found glowsticks that fit perfectly into the little cradle so at the concerts, I'm gonna have glowsticks in it! Hoping it'll look cool. It's not much, but I wanted to do SOMETHING.

• Options
    SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    edit: nevermind. Don't drink and post, kids.

Swae on
  • Options
    xxpeaceyxxxxpeaceyxx Registered User new member
    I was thinking of going as Conan from Case Closed/Detective Conan, though I don't know if anime cosplay would be considered bad for a gaming convention.

• Options
    DeviousAmbitionDeviousAmbition TexasRegistered User new member
    edited January 2016
    xxpeaceyxx wrote: »
    I was thinking of going as Conan from Case Closed/Detective Conan, though I don't know if anime cosplay would be considered bad for a gaming convention.

Don't be afraid of that it's not exclusive to games, you know there will be a lot of people into anime there as well. I did a Colossal Titan last year, it was great but people still liked it.
    Swae wrote: »
    I'm actually really nervous about potentially doing a cosplay at PAX. I will probably have a Game of Thrones costume ready, but how do you ladies deal with requests for photos all day?

I'm not a lady but I find the picture taking part of the fun. It's funny how a layer of cloth will get people to approach you that never would have before just to connect, share a good smile, and get a picture. You can always decline of course too. Just have fun with it!
    Midan wrote: »
    I finished my two Pokemon cosplays, but now I am getting a little bit down on myself. I know my costumes while being good won't be as eye popping as some of the other ideas I have seen on here. But at the same time I am super proud of the fact that I sewed two garments for the first time ever! Even if they are a bit simpler then I had intended. ( My ideas and reality had a few run ins while I made my stuff lol) Any experienced cosplayers out there have any tips on how to make that little self doubting voice in your head any smaller?

You don't need to worry about the quality, people will still get in and enjoy it if they recognize you. Everyone has to start somewhere and it's not like you're expected to bring top of the line production. Enjoy what you made, after you get a few people who approach and want a picture with you it's all smooth sailing from there!

DeviousAmbition on
  • Options
    KayleighmaticKayleighmatic Registered User regular
    elizasea wrote: »
    I'm working on Rose Quartz from Steven Universe and my bff is going as punk Sailor Jupiter.

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Amethyst costume. It would be awesome to get a pic with another gem!

• Options
    Midan wrote: »

i'm not terribly experienced with cosplay specifically, but the key with costuming i've found is to be proud of your work. you've accomplished something! that's amazing! so what if you're not yaya han or one of the other pro cosplayers? everyone starts somewhere. in fact, a lot of the big name cosplayers will periodically post throwbacks to their early work. honestly, the nagging voice never truly goes away. just walk with your head high and know that someone will appreciate your costume. last year i only had about 3 people recognize who i was but i had a blast!

• Options
    Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    I'm actually debating going as Sterling Archer. Or should I say Randy?

• Options
    electricstormelectricstorm Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    Not sure if I will cosplay this year. If I do, I will be going either as Lucina from Fire Emblem Awakening/Smash, Reese from Animal Crossing: New Leaf, or some variant of Miku Hatsune.

• Options
    LucentRaennaLucentRaenna Wichita Falls, TXRegistered User new member
    I was wondering if there was a group of people cosplaying for The Last of Us at PAX!

• Options
    KayleighmaticKayleighmatic Registered User regular
    elizasea wrote: »

I'm just putting the finishing touches on my Amethyst costume. It would be awesome to get a pic with another gem!

And, I just found out that a friend of mine is coming and her kid is dressing up as Stephen!

• Options
    pkFirepkFire Memphis, TNRegistered User regular
    I'll be going as Ness :D I'm bringing my yoyo collection and will be doing tricks.
    It's my first PAX and I look forward to seeing you guys.

<---