As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Antonio Restaurant/Dining Suggestions 2016

kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in PAX South
Let's get this thread started. I'm sure all of us have good suggestions

Summary of the first post from the thread last year (Thanks PurpleSky)

Whataburger: Open 24 Hours. Late night(after 11)/breakfast? Get the Honeybutter Chicken Biscuit.
- River Center Food Court: Your typical mall food court. On the Riverwalk, great for people watching and listening to Pan Pipes.
- Alamo Street Eat Bar: Food Truck park, good beer selection, 10 minute walk from the convention center
- Tre Trattoria: Some of the best Italian/Pasta in the city.
- The Monterrey: American Gastropub in Southtown, great outdoor seating area.
- Fritte: Belgian Food, also in Southtown.
- Hot Joy: Hipster Asian Fusion. Really, really good.
- The Beethoven: A side of San Antonio most people never see, or even think about. Old school German beer garden in Southtown.

Further afield:
- The Pearl Brewery: Walk up the riverwalk towards the Museum Reach. Big new complex that has a number of restaurants: La Glora (Mexican Streetfood), The Granary (Micro-brewery and modern BBQ), Green (Vegetarian, closed Saturdays) and more places I haven't had a chance to try. Also has a Farmers Market on Saturdays if you're into that.
- Taco Taco Cafe: Local institution on Hildebrand. Parking is a bit of a pain, but they've got my favorite breakfast tacos in the city (I'm a Trinity kid, so sue me.)
- Central Market: Upscale Grocery store with great prepared foods. Prices for normal grocery stuff also fairly reasonable.

Anyone want to start a Google Doc with suggestions on places?
Here's a link to the old one from last year. Its still a great resource with distance from the Convention Center
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8J2zaWDtgGpZTlnWVd4VUozTzQ/edit?usp=sharing

A link to the previous thread from last year
https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/191202/san-antonio-restaurant-dining-suggestions-2015/p1

A Google Map with mapped out places (Thanks VintageUtti)
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=zGEWTyllhmHI.kt8xxeqFofak

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
kube00 on

• Options
    edited October 2015
    I liked Schilo's last year. Nice German Deli with good beer. I made it to the Friendly Spot last year as well. Their beer selection was monstrous.

I also ate at Mi Tierra and it was good and reminded me of what I eat in Washington State. I think I ate at the Country Line too? It was good although most of my friends from Texas said there were better places it was convenient.

This year I am on the hunt for breweries within walking distance and possibly a place that has good puffy tacos that people kept talking about last year

kube00 on
    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

• Options
    giantrygiantry Registered User regular
  • Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    The Granary's good, although it follows in the current BBQ philosophy of "when we're out of that delicious item that you really wanted, we're out for the day." So if there's something you see on the menu that you really really want, get there early.

With regard to @kube00 , Blue Star Brewery is fairly close (it is within walking distance from Beethoven Maennerchor). Freetail also has their downtown operation now, but you'll need to keep track of that location's hours because last I knew it was not open every day.

PS - As a fellow Trinity kid, there's nothing wrong with stating fact: Taco Taco Cafe is the best.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    fynixfynix Registered User regular
    We grubhub'd burgers from Candy's Old Fashioned Burgers and they were amazing. From the reviews it looks like it may be hit or miss, but we're definitely going to be eating there at least one day come PAX.

• Options
    xaldin87xaldin87 Gaymer SaTxRegistered User regular
    Cured brunch on Saturday, Boiler House brunch on Sunday. Both are in the pearl.

Mad Hatters and Feast are pretty close and have great food all day but Feast as a killer Sunday brunch menu. BYO Mimosas FTW!!!

The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.

• Options
    gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    The Monterey is closing next week :(

I'd like to add The Friendly Spot (if its not too cold). Just a nice place to chill with some friends and some beer.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The SE++ crowd ate at Schilo's Delicatessen last year. It's within walking distance of the convention center, they have great food (authentic German cuisine), and it wasn't too pricey (~$8/plate, and they have daily specials). Plus, beer!

And even though it's within walking distance, it wasn't too crowded when we went during the lunch rush because it is a short hike away (a little over half a mile).

• Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    It was a bit of a longer walk from the convention centre, but a group of PAXers and I hit up the Southtown location of Rosario's. Place was huge, and packed. Food was wonderful.

camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    Im curious about the Granary tooo look
    fynix wrote: »
    We grubhub'd burgers from Candy's Old Fashioned Burgers and they were amazing. From the reviews it looks like it may be hit or miss, but we're definitely going to be eating there at least one day come PAX.

Added Candy's to my list for places to eat...

• Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    Texas de Brazil, on Houston St, is super good if you like meat and want to eat a lot of it. 40$ all you can eat.

Iron Cactus Mexican Grill & Margarita Bar, on the Riverwalk, was pretty enjoyable.

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
    Texas de Brazil and Fogo de Chao are both Brazilian steakhouses that offer somewhat pricey but all you can eat food, including a "salad area" that has more than just meat (for those interested in side items.) Fogo de Chao is in the Rivercenter Mall across the street from the convention center, so is a little closer; Texas de Brazil is a couple of blocks away, but totally walkable. I have only ever been to Texas de Brazil, but from what I've heard from people who have been to both, Texas de Brazil is better.

I haven't been to Mad Hatter (heard it's good) but across the street from it is a Mexican place called Tito's that we really like. They're about a mile away from the convention center.

Of course, there's also the Tower of the Americas. We've only been there twice for food, and it's been years. We went once for lunch and once for dinner. The lunch was better, both as far as quality and price goes, but dinner was spectacular because you can see the city lit up beneath you while you eat. The tower does a full rotation once an hour, and seeing all the lights of the city once it gets dark out is pretty cool. You could also go just for drinks; I understand they have a happy hour from 4-7pm, and usually there's a cover charge just to get into the tower, but if you tell them you're there for happy hour, they may wave the cover charge. I haven't ever gone there myself to try that. But we were just downtown with some friends from out of town, and heard that from somebody else.

• Options
    ScaryGaryScaryGary Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    For Those looking for Pretty good Vegan Food That tastes like Real food, Senor Veggie is about 5-10 min walk away and is pretty good even if your not vegan (Like myself)

ScaryGary on
    First Pax: Pax South 2015!!!
    Second Pax: PAX PRIME 2015!!
    Third Pax: PAX SOUTH 2016 GET HYPE!!!!
    Proud Alaskan!
  • Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Decius wrote: »
    It was a bit of a longer walk from the convention centre, but a group of PAXers and I hit up the Southtown location of Rosario's. Place was huge, and packed. Food was wonderful.

Came here to specifically mention Rosario's. I'm local, but I don't go downtown all that much. It's a bit of a walk, but I led a group of senior citizens from the convention center to Rosario's because they heard it was good. And it was fantastic. It's now one of my favorite Mexican restaurants.

• Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    The Station Cafe/Filling Station
    http://thestationsa.com/
    They're only open Monday-Friday. I recommend the pulled pork or habanero turkey. If you're a fan of the Honey Hole in Seattle, you should enjoy this sandwich shop.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    AggressAggress Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    On the river-walk is also County-Line BBQ, which as a Houstonian I still find it pretty damn good. Is it the absolute best, no, but it is good and convenient. I will also +1 Texas De Brasil and Tre Trattoria.

• Options
    BadCrumpanyBadCrumpany Registered User regular
    Since pretty much everyone that is going is a gamer, I just wanted to stick this in the thread. Dave & Busters is opening in Rivercenter mall in January 2016 so that could be something fun to do (Games and Food) that is next to convention. It wasn't there last year so just posting in case anyone is interested. Pretty fun place. Food isn't all that special, mainly things like sliders, burgers, etc but has pasta and steaks. Not the place I would choose for a steak though when there are so many great steakhouses right next to it.

http://www.daveandbusters.com/san-antonio/rivercenter

• Options
    AerikanAerikan Game Design Manager Wellington NZRegistered User regular
    I'm a local foodie and happy to help here. I'll see if I can get permission to post some Eat and Drink guides here. But in the meantime here is some info:

Not a ton in walking distance. The Riverwalk is mostly chains, though Esquire is legit, best place on the Riverwalk for food and cocktails, actually local.

If you can get out to the Pearl (formerly brewery now amazing culinary complex) EVERYTHING there is good. It's a beautiful area to hang out, too.

1919, Beethoven's, and othe rplaces in the Blue Star Complex are great. Stella for beer and pizza, Halcyon for coffee. Get down to Blue Star!

Also hit me up at our booth for Heroes Must Die and I will give you personalized recommendations because I love to eat and drink.

• Options
    AshTRAshTR Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    japester wrote: »
    Came here to specifically mention Rosario's.
    Haha, same here. It was the best Mexican food I've ever had! I think I almost loved coming to PAX South last year more for Rosario's than for PAX South itself! IT'S SO GOOD!
    Dave & Busters is opening in Rivercenter mall in January 2016
    Sweet, they have some pretty good combos with the play cards.

AshTR on
    zEjfyle.png
  • Options
    Aerikan wrote: »
    I'm a local foodie and happy to help here. I'll see if I can get permission to post some Eat and Drink guides here. But in the meantime here is some info:

Not a ton in walking distance. The Riverwalk is mostly chains, though Esquire is legit, best place on the Riverwalk for food and cocktails, actually local.

If you can get out to the Pearl (formerly brewery now amazing culinary complex) EVERYTHING there is good. It's a beautiful area to hang out, too.

1919, Beethoven's, and othe rplaces in the Blue Star Complex are great. Stella for beer and pizza, Halcyon for coffee. Get down to Blue Star!

Also hit me up at our booth for Heroes Must Die and I will give you personalized recommendations because I love to eat and drink.

I would love to see some guides for lunch and dinner!

• Options
    If you guys are getting up to Rosario's (which is very good) get over a little farther to Friendly Spot and see a good San Antonio-style ice house with lots of local beer selections. Then across the street to Hot Joy for maybe the tastiest food in town. Get the twice-fried chicken wings.

• Options
    chellerschellers New HampshireRegistered User regular
    Walking distance:
    -Schilos - german deliciousness, get the root beer
    -Whataburger - 24hrs
    -Belgian Sweets - not just chocolate/candies, has waffles, sandwiches, and quiche, too
    -County Line BBQ - brisket tacos!!!! (but only at lunch time)

Driving
    -Ray's Drive Inn - PUFFY TACOS (fair warning, my boyfriend won't go here because "it's too sketchy." I, however, cannot wait to go back)
    -Pasha Mediterranean Grill - yummy w/open kitchen and amazing customer service (my bf took one bite and didn't like it, so they didn't charge him - bf's fault, not theirs)

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    There should almost be a flag to denote whether we are talking about convenient (nearby and cheap, which the vast majority of attendees will prefer) and "far, but worth it if you really want to do it up right!" Heh, heh.

I don't make a lot of major food recommendations (I'm not picky), but if you aren't from a region that has good BBQ and want something authentic, friendly, and a bit farther out, I can easily recommend Rudy's Country Store & Bar-B-Q. The bad news is they are all located outside of town, so a good 30 minute drive from the convention center at least. I met a lot of people from overseas last year, and this is the kind of place I would recommend to them if they wanted a great sample of southern cooking and had access to a car. It's also great for large groups that don't mind sharing as all food is ordered by weight ("half pound of pork ribs, quarter pound moist brisket, etc"), carved right in front of you, and thrown on wax paper (along with a loaf of white bread). Perfect for sampling a variety of stuff out of a communal pile of deliciousness. :D

• Options
    VintageUttiVintageUtti Registered User new member
    I made a Google Map last year for fellow Enforcers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zGEWTyllhmHI.kt8xxeqFofak&usp=sharing

It's a comprehensive list of everything (good and bad) within walking distance but I'd like to at least mark the places that are recommended as "favorites" to help narrow down the choices. I'll go through this thread to and make updates to my map based on your recommendations. Also if there are any new places added since then let me know. (Just found out HEB opened downtown so yay!)

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I made a Google Map last year for fellow Enforcers: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zGEWTyllhmHI.kt8xxeqFofak&usp=sharing

It's a comprehensive list of everything (good and bad) within walking distance but I'd like to at least mark the places that are recommended as "favorites" to help narrow down the choices. I'll go through this thread to and make updates to my map based on your recommendations. Also if there are any new places added since then let me know. (Just found out HEB opened downtown so yay!)

Thanks! added this to the OP

kube00 on

• Options
    I'll try to get copies of the food and beverage guide to hand out at Game Night as well.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    My list just keeps growing

kube00 on

• Options
    Anyone have anymore suggestions?

• Options
    DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    so a thing I like to do when I travel to a new city is check out at least one place featured on the show Man vs. Food. What would you locals recommend most out of the three?

Big Lou's Pizza
    Lulu's Bakery and Cafe
    Chunky's Burgers

Just from watching the show (and because it is the closest to PAX), I'm inclined to go to Lulu's but I dunno if people might suggest otherwise. Or if anybody wants to join and dine together and split one of them 3 pound cinnamon rolls, or 42 inch pizzas, that might be fun as well.

• Options
    StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Mmmmmmmm 3 pound cinammon roll

• Options
    DanQ wrote: »
    so a thing I like to do when I travel to a new city is check out at least one place featured on the show Man vs. Food. What would you locals recommend most out of the three?

Big Lou's Pizza
    Lulu's Bakery and Cafe
    Chunky's Burgers

Just from watching the show (and because it is the closest to PAX), I'm inclined to go to Lulu's but I dunno if people might suggest otherwise. Or if anybody wants to join and dine together and split one of them 3 pound cinnamon rolls, or 42 inch pizzas, that might be fun as well.

How close is LuLus?

• Options
    shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »

Big Lou's Pizza
    Lulu's Bakery and Cafe
    Chunky's Burgers

How close is LuLus?

It's NorthEast of the Riverwalk on the other side of I-35 so you'd probably need a car or take public transit to get there (unless you don't mind a 30-45 minute walk each way).

khd33hubozxv.png
  • Options
    whookid36whookid36 Registered User regular
    What is the best BBQ place to eat at?

• Options
    OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    whookid36 wrote: »
    What is the best BBQ place to eat at?

Your guide to all things Texas BBQ
    http://www.tmbbq.com/
    If you happen to be driving, I would recommend a detour through Lockhart.

• Options
    MidanMidan Registered User regular
    Me and my husband are getting in at about 11p.m. on Thursday, will there be anywhere to eat that late? In our home town everything closes at 8 so I really don't know how real city restaurants work. lol

• Options
    shimwood wrote: »
    kube00 wrote: »

Big Lou's Pizza
    Lulu's Bakery and Cafe
    Chunky's Burgers

How close is LuLus?

It's NorthEast of the Riverwalk on the other side of I-35 so you'd probably need a car or take public transit to get there (unless you don't mind a 30-45 minute walk each way).

Uber here I come!

• Options
    tbrooks1986tbrooks1986 Registered User regular
    Midan wrote: »
    Me and my husband are getting in at about 11p.m. on Thursday, will there be anywhere to eat that late? In our home town everything closes at 8 so I really don't know how real city restaurants work. lol

Mi Tierra Cafe is sort of a landmark here in town and is open 24 hours a day.

218 Produce Row, San Antonio, TX 78207

• Options
    DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Whattaburger is also open 24/7 no?

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Whattaburger is also open 24/7 no?

It is

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    I will have a small stack of eating and drinking guides produced by Geekdom if people come to game night. We'll also bring some to the booth. I'm always happy to give recs and promote the scene here. Come by the Heroic Games booth and ask.

• Options
    Kerbob97Kerbob97 Registered User regular
    I'd recommend Little Rhein Steak House for a $$$ nice meal.
    Durty Nelly's under the Hilton Palacio Del Rio is a fun Irish pub
    Howl at the Moon is a fun place to hang out, and you can usually swing a free cover using one of the local travel guides.