As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC won't "turn over" frequently (case lights up, but doesn't begin boot)

SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today!Registered User regular
In PA tradition, I can pretty accurately describe my problem in car metaphors: I have a one-year-old system with a ASUS Z97-A motherboard and an EVGA Supernova 750 62 80 Plus Gold PSU, inside a Fractal Design R4 case, with a GTX 970 running Windows 8.1. And it runs very, very well (BSOD are extremely infrequent), with one exception: it seems like more and more often, when I start it up in the morning before leaving for work to check my mail, etc., the PC "doesn't turn over complete."

In other words, I can hear the machine beginning to boot up, but it sounds like while power briefly flowed to the motherboard, the PSU fans (one of the loudest parts of an otherwise pretty quiet machine) don't kick in fully. The case's power light comes on, but...nothing. My USB devices (just a typical HOTAS) don't boot up.

And nothing happens until. I can hit the restart button, or the power button, and invariably everything turns on just fine, normal boot, with no error messages or any indication that anything went wrong.

I was content to ignore this as a fluke, but I feel like it's happening more and more. I tried plugging in the PC directly into the wall rather than through an old APC unit--no change.

It seems fairly clear to me that, despite getting a pretty good power supply (at least by reputation, as far as I knew), I may have had a factory dud that needs to be replaced (thankfully it's fully modular--if that's the case, in theory I could just swap it out). But before I jump to that conclusion, I'd appreciate any second opinions.

The fact that I can sort of hear the PSU fan failing to kick seems to support that theory--it just doesn't quite "turn over", and in effect only the case turns on. Otherwise, I think I'd get some sort of error notice for a power-caused crash on boot up. I've never had any other sort of power-related issues either, and I don't do any sort of overclocking (except for the basic CPU autoclock setting courtesy of my motherboard).

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    weird problems like that are almost always PSU. The only other thing I would maybe try is to try it with just one stick of ram, then the other stick, to see if maybe bad ram is causing it not to boot. I've seen that before, but much better chance it is the PSU.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    wunderbar wrote: »
    weird problems like that are almost always PSU. The only other thing I would maybe try is to try it with just one stick of ram, then the other stick, to see if maybe bad ram is causing it not to boot. I've seen that before, but much better chance it is the PSU.

I can give it a try, but the problem is that it's very difficult to replicate (it's the worst sort of randomness--repeated randomness). When I come back from work and turn on my PC, it doesn't seem to occur.

I agree about RAM (I've had my share of bad RAM sticks in the past, that and slow USB devices would cause problems in boot up, but that doesn't seem to be the issue here).

• Options
    well if it isn't at every boot, than I'd definitely give a new PSU a try. Worst case you can return the PSU.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    wunderbar wrote: »
    well if it isn't at every boot, than I'd definitely give a new PSU a try. Worst case you can return the PSU.

Yeah, I was not-stupid-enough to actually register the PSU as soon as my order came in from NCIX with EVGA, so I have everything I need for it to be covered by whatever warranty they offer. And it's fully modular, which means I don't have to unplug all that shit to actually replace just the PSU, if that is, in fact, the issue.

I'd add fully modular PSUs rule! I feel about those the way other people feel about SSDs.

• Options
    Well, happened again this morning. I guess I can look towards this being a daily thing.

Going to try EVGA first--I have to imagine they'd replace it, this seems well in their area of responsibility--and then NCIX.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I'd add fully modular PSUs rule! I feel about those the way other people feel about SSDs.

I'd never want to have to use a non-modular PSU ever again.

• Options
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Synthesis wrote: »

I'd never want to have to use a non-modular PSU ever again.

Yeah, a few years back when I did my last build, people were still "Eeeeh, they're okayyy, but I don't see what the fuss is. Just tuck those mandatory unused cables in the back of your case or something! What's the big deal?"

• Options
    my current PSU is currently partly modular. My next one will be fully modular.

Unless the Canadian dollar keeps dropping like a stone, in which case my next PSU might end up having to be me riding a stationary bike to provide power to the computer.