As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What to mix with Rum?

DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
So I need some advise on what I should be mixing with some Rum.

I have a bottle of Myers Dark Rum, and I don't really know what to mix it with other than Coke. Idealy I would like to mix it with a hot beverage, as as it's starting to get cold at night up in New York and I am looking to have somthing to keep me warm.

I'm looking for a relatively simple drink (1 or 2 ingredients) to mix where Dark Rum is the Alcohol. Can somone help me out?

DharmaBum on

• 12gauge12gauge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    12gauge on
    davidoc0.jpg
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You can mix anything sweet with rum, since it's a semi-sweet alcohol. Fruit juice, hot chocolate, etc.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It is a bit of preperation, but you can make hot buttered rum to keep you warm and toasty.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    When you said hot beverage the first thing that came to mind was apple cider. However I have never tried it with rum and now I want to. If you do and it tastes any good, post back I'm curious.

RedDawn on
  • Uncle LongUncle Long Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've had it with cider and it is passably good. I like the dark rum better than the light, though.

Uncle Long on
  • mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There is a warm cider drink you can make with rum. Can't look it up rite now

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    RedDawn wrote: »
    When you said hot beverage the first thing that came to mind was apple cider. However I have never tried it with rum and now I want to. If you do and it tastes any good, post back I'm curious.

Hot apple cider and rum is amazing. It's OK cold, but tons better when it's heated up. Spiced rum like Captain Mo's goes best.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Root beer float.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Limp mooseLimp moose Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As was already stated Anything sweet goes well with rum. Most tropical drinks use rum because of this. You could take just about any mix of fruit juices / fruit punch add some rum and blamo you got a fruity alcoholic beverage.

As for hot beverages you are at a disadvantage because rum usually is not served warm. You might have to do some experimentation. Take something you normally drink warm and just add some rum. Apple cider is probably the best place to start as its already fruit juice so they will probably pair well. Hot tea is another because the rum will sweeten the tea and probably not overwhelm the flavor unless you add a ton. You could try it in coffee but I have never heard of Irish coffee made with anything but whiskey.

I would avoid hot chocolate, milk and rum doesn't sound very good.

You could also put it in a flask and drink it straight at say a football game or other outdoor event. I know in college a flask of booze over the course of a game would definitely warm me up. But I drink a lot and dont mind straight liquor. Some people don't enjoy the taste.

The internet agreed with me and recommends the following.

Perhaps the quintessential rum-based warm drink is Hot Buttered Rum. This drink's better recipes call for good quality dark rum from Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Barbados or Haiti. Two to three ounces of dark rum, such as Appleton or Bacardi Gold Reserve, get blended with brown sugar (or maple syrup for a tantalizing variation), a pat of butter, nutmeg, cloves, lemon peel, boiling water and a cinnamon stick.

Another dandy of a cold weather rum-based drink is the Hot Spiced Cider, comprised of apple cider, sugar, cloves, allspice berries, salt, and spiced rum, garnished with a cinnamon stick. A delicious variation, called Mulled Cider, introduces a twist of lemon and a dash of Angostura bitters. Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum is an inspired choice both for the Hot Spiced Cider and Mulled Cider.

Limp moose on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's not hot, but rum and ginger beer/ale make a fantastic combination.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    7-Up

Tastes like a cream soda.

LondonBridge on
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The easiest option might be Grog. Just some hot water, sugar and rum.

http://drinkoftheweek.com/archive/g/grog.htm

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
    edited November 2007
    I used to make rum milkshakes that were really good, but those are sorta the opposite of warm. Milk, icecream, and rum in a blender.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Gin, Rye Whiskey, Whiskey, Red Wine, Orange Juice, Lemon Juice, hm... I forget what else, but the end result is called Artillery Punch. (the drink of presidents).

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • CrimsonmonkeyCrimsonmonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's not hot, but it's good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuba_Libre

Crimsonmonkey on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Limp moose wrote: »
    I would avoid hot chocolate, milk and rum doesn't sound very good.

You'd think so, but I've had it and it's actually very good.

You may want to experiment with the proportions for personal taste though.

Nobody on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Egg Nog. It's finally in season again.

Also, fruit juices are nice. Pineapple is a good one for gold rum or spiced rum. Dark rum tends to go well with less sweet things.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've found that lemonade, or at least Crysatl Light lemonade, seems way sweeter than normal with spiced rum. It might just be me though.

Quid on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do not mix Dr Pepper with rum. It tastes like you're drinking molasses. Then you're stuck with a glass of rum (which is delicious) and Dr Pepper (also delicious) that tastes like molasses (not delicious), so you choke it down anyway not wanting to waste two delicious drinks that when combined are far less than the sum of their parts.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • jotatejotate Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Diet coke with lime is a pretty decent twist on the traditional rum+coke.

jotate on
  • SolventSolvent Econ-artist กรุงเทพมหานครRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Srsly, has no-one mentioned Bundy and Black?

Bundaberg is the dark rum of choice in Australia (for many), and you add this to black coffee. Easy. Very popular during the ANZAC day parades. Or so I'm told... I like it any time of year though :)

Solvent on
    I don't know where he got the scorpions, or how he got them into my mattress.

http://newnations.bandcamp.com
    edited November 2007
    That reminds me, vanilla coke is pretty good with rum.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    More rum.

ben0207 on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rum and ginger beer is indeed fantastic

nexuscrawler on
  • Apathetics AnonymousApathetics Anonymous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »
    More rum.

This.

Also another vote for ginger beer. Be warned though, it is very easy to drink.

Apathetics Anonymous on
  • ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    mojitos!

though you traditionally use white rum

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • Red LegRed Leg Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is a drink I used to make in college:

7Up + spiced rum + a pinch of (sugar added) Cherry Kool Aid. I know, it sounds pretty nasty. But it tastes awesome, like a cherry cream soda. Plus, the Kool Aid kinda foams up if you add it in last, which looks pretty neat.

I guess you could use grenadine, but I was in college and poor so...

Red Leg on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do not mix Dr Pepper with rum. It tastes like you're drinking molasses. Then you're stuck with a glass of rum (which is delicious) and Dr Pepper (also delicious) that tastes like molasses (not delicious), so you choke it down anyway not wanting to waste two delicious drinks that when combined are far less than the sum of their parts.

If by molasses, you mean delicious

SniperGuy on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i have a friend who loves captain morgan and coca-cola

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    i have a friend who loves captain morgan and coca-cola

A rum and coke is the least imaginative drink ever. It's a completely standard good mix.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH