As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k - Such is the Emperor's will.

RalakanRalakan Registered User regular
edited March 2007 in Critical Failures
What is Warhammer 40,000?

Warhammer 40k is a futuristic tabletop strategy game created by GamesWorkshop, it pits several races and factions against each other for control of the galaxy. The wiki article can be found here.
wikipedia wrote:
Setting
The Warhammer 40,000 game world is most readily characterized as a gothic science-fantasy setting. The central and most popular elements of the Warhammer 40,000 universe are the Space Marines, anachronistic combinations of sci-fi super-soldiers and fantasy knights and the finest warriors of the Imperium of Mankind, a dystopian and degenerate galaxy-spanning empire.

The physical setting of this story is the Materium, with all action here in the Milky Way Galaxy. Much of this is controlled by The Imperium of Man, though it is not the only galactic power. Other races include the Orks, a greenskinned trollike race, and the Eldar, the former rulers of a great empire. A dynamic, galaxy-spanning story line is possible because of a separate plane of existence, the Immaterium or "Warp." The Warp is described as a realm of thought, where desires and emotions can take physical form, and with currents and eddies that make traveling vast interstellar distances difficult, yet possible. As this is a realm of thought, a coalescence yields an often sinister warp entity. The strongest of these entities are the Chaos Gods, Khorne (a god of rage, bloodshed, and war), Nurgle (a god of despair, decay and pestilitic disease), Tzeentch (a god of change, deception, scheming, Sorcery, and, oddly enough, hope) and Slaanesh (a god of pleasure, pain, depravity, pride and decadence).

The Gods of Chaos are the result of the strongest impulses in the living souls of the universe's inhabitants. Their cults have a dynamic and antagonistic relationship. Khorne opposes Slaanesh, while Nurgle opposes Tzeentch. Nurgle is the personification of powerlessness, Tzeentch personifies power, Khorne personifies duty and rage, and Slaanesh personifies the epicurean or the sensual. These four powers are not the only entities in the Warp, but they are the greatest and most powerful. It is said, in the background to Warhammer 40,000, that the nature of the Warp is beyond human comprehension and is truly unknowable.
The aim of every person who plays Warhammer 40,000 is to pit their force of miniatures against other players across war-torn futuristic battlefields. Win or lose, all battles are entertaining challenges in which you try to out-think and out-play your opponent, taking advantage of what good luck comes your way, but ultimately relying upon sound tactics to win the day.

To start down the road of enjoying this exciting game and hobby, you'll need a few things! First, and most importantly, you'll need an army. Next, you'll need to find an opponent – either a friend that lives right down the street or someone you've bumped into once or twice at your local Hobby Center. However, before any of this can take place, you'll need to get your hands on the rules.

If you are just starting out with Warhammer 40,000, the best place to learn the rules is with The Battle for Macragge Boxed Set. It contains all of the basic rules you need to get started playing Warhammer 40,000 and several beginner scenarios pitting the mighty Space Marines against the vicious Tyranid horde. You will also get Space Marine and Tyranid models to use in the scenarios, as well as terrain, dice, and templates.

Once you're familiar with how Warhammer 40,000 works, you'll want to get your hands on the rulebook. It contains the complete rules for the game, including the basic mechanics included in the Battle for Macragge, as well as advanced rules and missions not included in the boxed set.

The rulebook is also full of flavorful background material that gives you the history and other information about the grim universe of the 41st millennium. Lastly, the rulebook contains a hobby and gaming guide that shows you how to paint and play with your miniatures as you delve into your new hobby.

Main races:

csm_daemonprince.gif
Chaos Space Marines - At the very birth of the Imperium of Man, fully half of the Emperor's most trusted Space Marine Legions turned against him in a bitter civil war. Brother fought brother, and Mankind stood upon the very brink of extinction. Ten thousand years after their defeat, those same traitors still launch their Black Crusades out of the Eye of Terror, their black hearts intent upon nothing less than the utter destruction of the Imperium and the death of its weakling Emperor.

dh_greyknight.gif
Deamonhunters - The Imperium of Man is beset on all quarters by enemies bent on its destruction. Traitors, heretics, and aliens pound on the multi-layered defenses of Humanity. However, there are some threats that standard Imperial forces, including the mighty Space Marines, are incapable of facing. The Inquisition was created to face exactly these threats.

drke_lord.gif
Dark Eldar - The Dark Eldar inhabit a realm called Commorragh, a place as darkly twisted as its rulers, from which these pirates launch raids across the length and breadth of the galaxy. The purpose of these raids is not to conquer planets or protect territory but to cause mayhem, steal, pillage, and – most importantly of all – capture new victims to be taken back to Commorragh for endless torture.

promo_1.jpg
Eldar - The Eldar are an incredibly ancient race who once ruled a vast empire across the stars. Then came the hideous time of the Fall, when the Eldar were consumed by their own decadence to the brink of extinction. The few who survived were scattered across the stars. Though the Eldar are few in number, they continue to be one of the most technologically advanced races in the galaxy. This advantage is combined with the prescient abilities of their Farseers, who scry the future and guide their kin along the most favorable paths of fate.

ig_yarrick.gif
Imperial Guard - In the midst of genetically engineered super-beings, alien killing machines, warrior mystics, and technology that approaches sorcery in its sophistication, the Imperial Guard are mere soldiers. Clad in a flak jacket and carrying a lasgun, they have to contend with the most terrifying threats, relying on numbers, massed firepower and a bayonet with some guts behind it. As such it is easy to identify with these brave souls and to see in them the qualities of true heroes. Also: tanks tank lol

nec_wraith.gif
Necrons - The Necrons, an alien race ancient beyond imagining, are awakening from their 60-million-year dormancy to plague the living once more. Thousands of immortal, soulless warriors have risen from dusty stasis-tombs, their cold wills bent on harvesting the teeming species of the galaxy. Their miraculous technology was far in advance of any contemporary equivalent long before the Eldar, reckoned the oldest among races, had begun their existence.

ork_ghazghkul.gif
Orks - Orks are the most widespread and warlike race of aliens in the bloodstained galaxy of the 41st millennium. From the depths of the galactic core to the distant ghost-stars beyond the rim, burgeoning Ork empires rise and fall. In terms of sheer numbers and planets, Orks occupy more of the galaxy than any other single race, and if they ever unified, they would soon crush all opposition. However, the Orks' passion for violence is so unquenchable that they spend most of their time warring against themselves.

sm_tall_promo.gif
Space Marines - Space Marines are the most powerful and dreaded of all the human warriors in the galaxy. They are not human at all, but superhuman, having been made superior, in all respects, to a normal man by a harsh regime of genetic modification, psycho-conditioning and rigorous training. Being few in number compared to the uncounted billions of humanity, Space Marines are organized into small independent armies called Chapters. Their unswerving loyalty is to the Emperor of Mankind, their Chapter second, and no other.

default.jpg
Tau Empire - The Tau believe that now is their time. It is their race and their Empire that will bring unity to all. There is no foe their technology cannot overcome, no quandary their science cannot resolve. The very stars will be reforged in the name of the Greater Good.

tyranid_promo.jpg
Tyranids - The Tyranids are without doubt the most alien race encountered by Humanity. They have been likened to a galactic swarm of locusts, remorselessly hungry and too numerous to stop. Tyranids are a nomadic, space-dwelling race that has migrated from beyond our galaxy in search of new resources to consume. Under the direction of the Hive Mind, Tyranid Hive Fleets have bored into our space. These Fleets have discovered sustenance in abundance in the forms of the Imperium of Man and the other species of the Milky Way galaxy. Tyranids continue their endless advance, seeking planets to strip of bio-mass before moving on, leaving nothing but a ball of scoured rock in the wake of their titanic swarms. What's worse, no one seems able to halt, let alone reverse, the Tyranid tide.

wh_inquisitor.gif
Witchhunters - The darkness within the Imperium is a sinister and subtle threat. The heretic, mutant, and rogue psyker pose a great danger to Humanity and threaten it with an internal rot that can be far more damaging than alien invasion. Answering this threat is the Ordo Hereticus, the Order of the Inquisition devoted to hunting down and eliminating these particular threats. Known as the Witch Hunters, these Inquisitors command the might of the Imperium – especially the Adepta Sororitas – in their hunt for the witch, the mutant, the heretic, and the fallen cleric. No one is above the cleansing fire of the Witch Hunters.

Where can I buy this stuff online?

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk - Consistent discounts, extra discounts on 5+ 'army bundles', free international shipping, great selection. Used as #1 seller by myself and several other users.

http://www.chaosorc.com - Good discounts (particularly on large items), cheap shipping. patchy selection but carries lots of older products and non-GW stuff. Some items aren't clearly labeled differently from older versions, but they're a good alternative on specific items.

http://thewarstore.com/ - Excellent selection, good discounts, good service. 20% off normal prices, 25% off orders of $400 (adjusted price) or more. $3.95 shipping flat rate (free on certain orders I believe.)

Ralakan on

• Options
    noobertnoobert Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    first

I'm after an army that is small and elite. Soemthing where converting and putting lots of effort into each model won't take forever.

I'm only really aware of chaos with the armies devoted to a god and 13th co.

Any others i'm missing?

noobert on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    noobert wrote:
    first

I'm after an army that is small and elite. Soemthing where converting and putting lots of effort into each model won't take forever.

Any others i'm missing?

Harlequins?

ben0207 on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You really don't need to convert Harlies at all. They already look pretty fantastic.
    However, if you're after a high point cost low model count army, go Necrons. Be warned, they are not easy to play at all, and tend to get fucked up in tournament play.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    noobert wrote:
    first

Any others i'm missing?

Grey knights

Ralakan on
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    greyknights are demon hunters

rucdoc on
    Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Sorry, I didn't see that they had been mentioned yet

Ralakan on
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, who here plays the only good 40k games, Necromunda and Gorkamorka?

Gorkamorka gets my vote for the greatest game GW has ever released. Shunned by "tournament" gamers for its focus on having fun, rather than winning, as well as making you play as orks, Gorkamorka is all about blasting your enemy with horribly ineffective guns, jumping off moving vehicles, failing, getting run over, then getting back up and trying again.

Also, orks.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I just want to get a first page post in :lol: Anyway I have more paint supplies now so I should be able to finish my Razorback and start on the dreadnought from the Megaforce.

After that it will be time to start on the tac squads. I'm still undecided on how I want them to be equipped. I'm actually thinking of just giving them all bolters and if I decide which special weapons I want I'll just buy another box of marines and make them the specials to distribute to the completed squads.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006

Gorkamorka gets my vote for the greatest game GW has ever released. Shunned by "tournament" gamers for its focus on having fun, rather than winning, as well as making you play as orks, Gorkamorka is all about blasting your enemy with horribly ineffective guns, jumping off moving vehicles, failing, getting run over, then getting back up and trying again.

Also, orks.

Oh god yes yes yes.

The combat system was kind of borked up, but holy shit it was such a fucking rad game.

I want a MMO third-person game where you get an orc that you can turn intoa Nob and get your own trukk and build a fort from scrap around Da Skidd and try to earn your ticket on Gorkamorka so fucking badly.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    We need Codex pictures for the OP. It makes it so much spiffier.

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drhazarddrhazard Registered User regular
    edited November 2006

Also, orks.
    I loved Gorkamorka. It feel into the same trap games always did around my house, though: not enough interest from other players. If I could find a dedicated group of six to do a campaign against, I think it would be the most fun I could have with little metal men, ever.

drhazard on
    SCB.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    drhazard wrote:

Also, orks.
    I loved Gorkamorka. It feel into the same trap games always did around my house, though: not enough interest from other players. If I could find a dedicated group of six to do a campaign against, I think it would be the most fun I could have with little metal men, ever.

Indeed. Not to mention the konverting. Painting an ork's face metallic because of his recent trip to the doc was amusing.

To fit orcs on vehicles while using 40k bases (I had long since lost/sent to the bitz box my original gorkamorka orks by the time I found people to play it with), we'd use holllowed out Chimeras and lego vehicles. Good times.
    The combat system was kind of borked up, but holy shit it was such a fucking rad game.

I want a MMO third-person game where you get an orc that you can turn intoa Nob and get your own trukk and build a fort from scrap around Da Skidd and try to earn your ticket on Gorkamorka so fucking badly.

I would so play Gorkamorka online. There was a Dreamcast game, apparantly, I don't know if it was even released, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    This page needs some online discount store links. Here's my favorite:

www.maelstromgames.co.uk
    - Consistent discounts, extra discounts on 5+ 'army bundles', free international shipping, great selection. Used as #1 seller by myself and several other users.

www.chaosorc.com
    - Good discounts (particularly on large items), cheap shipping. patchy selection but carries lots of older products and non-GW stuff. Some items aren't clearly labeled differently from older versions, but they're a good alternative on specific items.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    thorpe wrote:
    We need Codex pictures for the OP. It makes it so much spiffier.

the OP has grown in power

Ralakan on
  • Options
    HektorHektor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Good OP, and thanks btw. I like how homosexual to the extreme both the necron and space marine pictures are- it really tells the whole story up front.

maybe we should have a webpage where we can store the stock code for the OP so that it doesn't have to be redone every time?

that idea for a Gorkamorka MMO is very sweet sounding. i bet you could do a cool version of that as a UT mod or even a Source based one.

oh man...i'm getting a little aroused by the thought. :lol:

so, dig this dudes deathguard modeling, it also is slightly arousing. :arrow: http://bolterandchainsword.com/index.php?showtopic=98167&st=0&gopid=1128251&#entry1128251

Hektor on
    final.gifDG-1.png
    Morskittar wrote:
    With as much gusto and enthusiasm I can muster: fuck tourney-legal! Tournaments are for Magic players, furries, and child molesters.
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So I had a stroke of creativity. I ended up having three spare space marines once I counted out the legs, chests, and arms. (no idea how) Anyway, I decided to make a pure fluff color guard for the company banner I painted earlier, seen here.
    brsb1.jpg

Rules wise the color guards will be space marines with a pistol and ccw and will be attached to the command squad. I took the same helmet chest and shoulder pads as this dude who I mentioned earlier.
    CO.jpg
    He will become the command squad Sgt and for the sake of rules be equipped with one power fist and a bolt pistol in a holster.

I thought I'd make the guard fill up the "raven" part of Blood Ravens by giving them all beaky helmets. I'm thinking of painting their heads black with the various cloth pieces matching to continue the raven theme. If anyone wants to argue the reason behind the standard bearer not wearing the same type of armor I came up with a good fluff excuse.

Whenever the Standard Bearer of the Company Banner dies in battle, which ever marine retrieves the colors becomes the standard bearer until suck time as he is unable to protect it.

Basically whomever picks it up off the ground is it till he dies and repeat.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited November 2006
    I don't even play 40k anymore, but I'm bored, so what do you think of this list?

HQ

Chaos Lord - 76 points
    bolt pistol
    power weapon

Troops:

10 Chaos marines - 155 points
    Heavy Bolter
    meltagun

Heavy Bolter
    meltagun

Heavy Bolter
    meltagun

Heavy Bolter
    meltagun

10 Chaos Marines - 165 points
    Lascannon
    plasma gun

Lascannon
    plasma gun

Lascannon
    plasma gun

Lascannon
    plasma gun

10 Chaos Marines - 152 points
    flamer
    flamer

total: 1508 points

Whatcha think?

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    HektorHektor Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Tim, did i mention your painting skills "are teh leet"?

ninja reply to disruptor:

that's scary...i mean really scary. it's so counter-intuitive but yet i'd be terrified to face it.

the only problems that i can see, and they might not end up being problems is your men aren't fearless and your cc lord (who presumably would go with the flamer unit) really could be tooled up better for little points. give him either a kai gun or a darkblade or a dread axe, or something to give him a little more oomph in or going in to close combat. you'll have trouble with high toughness hq units or guys with those extra-gay things that reduce the strength of an attack.

otherwise you have 8 million wounds on the field and more than as many bolter shots. it always bugged me that no matter how pussy the attack is, a six still wounds and a 1 always means you're dead. this army maxes that fact and i applaud it.

beautiful.

Hektor on
    final.gifDG-1.png
    Morskittar wrote:
    With as much gusto and enthusiasm I can muster: fuck tourney-legal! Tournaments are for Magic players, furries, and child molesters.
  • Options
    AlphariusAlpharius Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    the only negative thing about that list is that it's pretty dull

Alpharius on
    Check out my 40k blog: WarHamSandwich
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    wrote:
    -[arlequin]the only negative thing about that list is that it's pretty dull

I don't play chaos but isn't that... 9 troop choices?

Ralakan on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Ralakan wrote:
    wrote:
    -[arlequin]the only negative thing about that list is that it's pretty dull

I don't play chaos but isn't that... 9 troop choices?

Oh snap, that it is. 3 of them would have to be devastators instead. I'm used to Warhammer, where you have unlimited core choices.

And thanks Hektor, its the type of army you'd field just once to completely shock your opponent. :lol:

It is rather dull, yes, I'd be more fun to give every squad a rhino, and rush objectives and such.

I might have to buy a box of chaos marines to paint up, though.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    So, painting my Guardians, which happen to be the first plastic models I've worked with. Put on a base coat of black with "fusion" spray paint with pieces still on the sprue. Do people recommend removing all pieces from the sprue before painting, or leaving them on so I can hold them easier?

RazzleDazz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    RazzleDazz wrote:
    So, painting my Guardians, which happen to be the first plastic models I've worked with. Put on a base coat of black with "fusion" spray paint with pieces still on the sprue. Do people recommend removing all pieces from the sprue before painting, or leaving them on so I can hold them easier?

It's one of those things where everyone does it thier own way. Personally, I'll take them off the sprues and sandpaper down all the flash, etc, before painting. You can get a nifty little stand with dual pincher arms to hold them while you paint them for about $10

Ralakan on
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    RazzleDazz wrote:

Fusion spray paint or Fusion spray primer? Primer will prep the surface for paint to adhere; Krylon Fusion paint bonds to the plastic and allows little else to stick to it.

I and most people always remove the parts for priming, otherwise you just end up with unprimed spots when you cut the parts off the sprue. Some people assemble their minis completely, while some people keep them all separate. I prefer to assemble everything but attaching the arms and backpack to the body, priming them separately if they'd otherwise block the spray primer from hitting the torso. It really depends on how much you want to rush or how easily you think you can paint the parts separately.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    SUPERSUGASUPERSUGA Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I would so play Gorkamorka online. There was a Dreamcast game, apparantly, I don't know if it was even released, though.

I went to a Games Day some years ago where they had a Gorkamorka game demo running on a few PCs. I gave it a try but I don't remember it being very good. I don't remember it being terrible either. You controlled a vehicle if I remember rightly and drove around shooting up stuff. Has been long canned though, I think.

SUPERSUGA on
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Well.

All my Tyranids are finnally assembled.

This is my final list as I can't make any changes, no budget left for purchases.
    1850 Pts - Tyranids Roster - Nids tournament

HQ: Hive Tyrant (3#, 279 Pts)
       1 Hive Tyrant @ 279 Pts
          Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Flesh Hooks; Toxic Miasma; Scything Talons (x1); Venom Cannon; Psychic Scream; Synapse Creature; The Horror
          2 Tyrant Guard @ [92] Pts
             Flesh Hooks; Rending Claws; Scything Talons

HQ: Broodlord (6#, 217 Pts)
       1 Broodlord @ 217 Pts
          Adrenal Glands +1 In; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Flesh Hooks; Toxin Sacs +1 St; Rending Claws; Scything Talons; Synapse Creature
          5 Genestealers @ [120] Pts
             Extended Carapace +1 Save; Flesh Hooks; Scuttlers; Rending Claws

Troops: Gaunt Brood (24#, 144 Pts)
       12 Gaunt Brood @ 72 Pts
          Fleshborer
       12 Gaunt Brood @ 72 Pts
          Fleshborer

Troops: Hormagaunts (24#, 264 Pts)
       12 Hormagaunts @ 132 Pts
          Flesh Hooks; Scything Talons
       12 Hormagaunts @ 132 Pts
          Flesh Hooks; Scything Talons

Troops: Genestealers (12#, 288 Pts)
       6 Genestealers @ 144 Pts
       6 Genestealers @ 144 Pts

Elite: Warriors (6#, 278 Pts)
       5 Warriors @ 278 Pts
          Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Flesh Hooks; Leaping; Scything Talons (x1); Deathspitter; Synapse Creature
          1 Warriors @ [48] Pts
             Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Flesh Hooks; Leaping; Scything Talons (x1); Barbed Strangler; Synapse Creature

Heavy Support: Carnifex (1#, 183 Pts)
       1 Carnifex @ 183 Pts
          Adrenal Glands +1 In; Adrenal Glands +1 WS; Bonded Exoskeleton; Enhanced Senses +1 BS; Extended Carapace +1 Save; Barbed Strangler; Twin-linked Deathspitter (x1)

Heavy Support: Zoanthrope (3#, 195 Pts)
       1 Zoanthrope @ 195 Pts
          Toxic Miasma; Synapse Creature; Warp Blast; Warp Field
          1 Zoanthrope @ [65] Pts
             Toxic Miasma; Psychic Scream; Warp Blast; Warp Field
          1 Zoanthrope @ [65] Pts
             Toxic Miasma; Psychic Scream; Warp Blast; Warp Field

Total Roster Cost: 1848

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Remove the WS and In from your Fex and Tyrant. You need to either make them shooty or not. Don't try and do both, or you'll wind up just wasting points on something that will die just as fast to heavy bolter fire.

Take some of the Genestealer and put them with the Broodlord. I can only assume you are using them for infiltration rapeage, the more wounds the more likely it is to make it into combat and rip something apart.

Remove the flesh hooks, toxic miasma, and scything talons from the tyrant, or remove the guns and the guard.

Why are you giving your warriors leaping, a gun, and BS?

Your big problem is your trying to make a generalist army with 'Nids, which does little more than wind up costing you points on things that die just as fast. You need to trim down the enhancements and buy some more gaunts. Lots more gaunts.

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    RazzleDazzRazzleDazz Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Utsanomiko wrote:

Fusion spray paint or Fusion spray primer? Primer will prep the surface for paint to adhere; Krylon Fusion paint bonds to the plastic and allows little else to stick to it.

Well ... maybe I should have researched this a little. We'll see how this works out.

RazzleDazz on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    RazzleDazz wrote:
    Utsanomiko wrote:

Well ... maybe I should have researched this a little. We'll see how this works out.

I got some straight Krylon white primer and it works great. Better than model spray infact. Only 3 bucks too.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    Ultra-Flat Black Krylon as primer. Worked AWESOME on my nids.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    PipTheFair wrote:
    Remove the WS and In from your Fex and Tyrant. You need to either make them shooty or not. Don't try and do both, or you'll wind up just wasting points on something that will die just as fast to heavy bolter fire.

Take some of the Genestealer and put them with the Broodlord. I can only assume you are using them for infiltration rapeage, the more wounds the more likely it is to make it into combat and rip something apart.

Remove the flesh hooks, toxic miasma, and scything talons from the tyrant, or remove the guns and the guard.

Why are you giving your warriors leaping, a gun, and BS?

Your big problem is your trying to make a generalist army with 'Nids, which does little more than wind up costing you points on things that die just as fast. You need to trim down the enhancements and buy some more gaunts. Lots more gaunts.
    Heh I wasn't tring for anything in particular, I was just trying too fill up my 1500 point army to 1850 so I can play it in a tournament.

So basically the idea was to throw in as many biomorphs as might be slightly useful.

Tallahasseeriel on
  • Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hello Guys, i recently bought myself a box of space marines and ordered a tech marine in a spate of nostalgic reminisence (dont think i can spell). Ive done this primarily for a creative outlet where by i mean painting.

There is 1 major drawback, i suck. Immensly

Any links to good beginners guides to painting and the techniques involved in highlighting would be much appreciated, my problem lies mainly in detail and i think putting too much paint on. I read something about not using paint straight out of the pot but am unsure how to approach watering down paint, or mixing paints.

Also for practice purposes is there an easy way to remove citadel paint from a model? rather than having to buy another set of marines i would ideally like to "start over" with the models i have.

Thanks

edit*

Also i played a Ratskin Gang in Necromunda, greatest game ever invented, go go Brakar

Afty on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Afty wrote:
    Hello Guys, i recently bought myself a box of space marines and ordered a tech marine in a spate of nostalgic reminisence (dont think i can spell). Ive done this primarily for a creative outlet where by i mean painting.

There is 1 major drawback, i suck. Immensly

Any links to good beginners guides to painting and the techniques involved in highlighting would be much appreciated, my problem lies mainly in detail and i think putting too much paint on. I read something about not using paint straight out of the pot but am unsure how to approach watering down paint, or mixing paints.

Also for practice purposes is there an easy way to remove citadel paint from a model? rather than having to buy another set of marines i would ideally like to "start over" with the models i have.

Thanks

edit*

Also i played a Ratskin Gang in Necromunda, greatest game ever invented, go go Brakar

To strip the models down safely grab some Simple Green cleaner and dunk them in it over night. In the morning take an old toothbrush and get scrubbing. You will shortly have a completely unpainted figure.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2006
    For Painting tips on a wide variety of topics:
    http://www.paintingclinic.com/MainClinic.dwt.htm

For stripping GW paint off of plastics:

Simple Green.

http://www.simplegreen.com/

You can find it in most cleaning aisles in supermarkets.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    Jolly-ollyJolly-olly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Where do these people live taht play necromunda and gorkamorka?

if theres on thing i don't llike about where i live, its the severe lack of people who play this game.

now, mind you, there are people around, but theyve been turned away by the severe lack of support for the game by the local games workshop store, and any other gaming store in the city that runs games.

That, or having to wade through the denziens that live in the basements of these game stores playing yu-gi-oh all day just to get to use a table.

Jolly-olly on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    I introduced my own friends to Gorkamorka and let them use some of my extra models, since I played space orks in 40k.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    Jolly-ollyJolly-olly Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    I introduced my own friends to Gorkamorka and let them use some of my extra models, since I played space orks in 40k.

i wish i had enough cool friends like you.

i wish i had friends...

Jolly-olly on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Man, this thread's OP kicks the living shit outta my old one, doesn't it?

Good work, that man.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited November 2006
    Does anyone have any idea where I can still get the squad box of Steel Legion guardsmen? I want to use them for my armored fist squad but I can't find them except in blisters.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited November 2006
    Does anyone have any idea where I can still get the squad box of Steel Legion guardsmen? I want to use them for my armored fist squad but I can't find them except in blisters.

They're another one of those metal minis that GW seems to be damnably phasing out. Like Stormtroopers and Adeptus Arbites (best I could find of the later on their site was Necromunda's Enforcers, and getting a Kill Team squad of 10 with shotguns would cost me about $65).

Froogle did bring up one online store that was selling SL squad boxes, though if you had asked me earlier I would have suggested sticking with 10 normal troops due to costs.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
This discussion has been closed.