As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shellback's Sketchbook

ShellbackShellback Registered User regular
Original title, no? Anyway, long time lurker and so on. This is my little spot on the PA forum where I will post random illustrations. Some that are just practice/for fun, some that are for ongoing projects. I am entirely open to constructive criticism. There's always something new to lean. Here we go!

The Hulk - A for-fun/practice image. Tried some different coloring ideas in this one.
vilamlbcbjzg.jpg

This was a quick portrait for my most recent D&D characters. He was a humanoid triceratops pirate. He didn't even survive the first adventure. Oh, well.
x6bh4gwdtk40.jpg

This was for Illustration Friday. It was a quick turnaround as I'm trying to increase my speed (I am a sloooowww illustrator. Ugh.)
4sco5mly7r1q.png

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    These look cool, but they are a bit hard to critique. The hulk one reads more like a crop than a complete composition, since it's so tight in and the hand is getting cut off at the nail. Is it a comic panel? Or is it supposed to stand alone?

What are your goals? Who are your influences? Is there anything you know you want to work on, skill wise?

• ShellbackShellback Registered User regular
    Iruka: The Hulk pic is kind of a stand alone comic panel. It was just a sketch I did that I ended up coloring for practice. As far as goals go, I'm looking to get into children's book illustration. I'm starting a portfolio build for that kind of work so I plan to get that posted up as I go. I'm also working on an illustrated book of endangered/extinct animals.

My influences are a lot of comic artists (Kirby, Toth, Carl Barks, Don Rosa) and other cartoonists like Maurice Sendak and Edward Gorey. I've been trying to expand my art studies though.

As far as things I want to work on: I hate the way my coloring looks. I don't know what it is that I don't like but it just bugs me. I also need to work on getting things to be less stagnant. I want to increase the dynamics and excitement, y'know?

I haven't had much time to do "for fun" art lately due to projects I'm not allowed to show yet but I did get started on Inktober 2015!

American Werewolf in London - This is the first thing I've inked by hand in probably a decade. I'm using Inktober to improve my speed so I'm only giving myself an hour to do these.
    0tjipmtks1sa.jpg

This is a small piece of a bigger picture. I'll post the rest as I go. Dungeon scene with a kid hero fighting this beholder.
    ywutiv4gtzkg.jpg

• ooohraaooohraa Registered User regular
    Wow, looks like the Hulk is very different! Never seen it like that, keep at it :)

• ooohraaooohraa Registered User regular
    Any other superhero art?

• SleeperHoldSleeperHold Registered User regular
    Love your interpretation of Hulk!

edited December 2015
    Thanks guys! I haven't had much time to draw lately but here's something for the release of Episode VII!

qrzun9s46hzr.jpg

Shellback on
    Here are some rough sketches of things.

After a Kirby corner on an old X-Men Comic
    1icis0ba2dpz.jpg

Quick post-it sketches of two guys I saw at the bar on Thanksgiving. Yes, I carry post-its with me. Yes, I spent Thanksgiving at the bar.
    p7c3nw7b2yp9.jpg

This is a D&D guy from probably 5 years ago. Still looks kinda cool, to me anyway.
    gq908j0tmmgj.jpg

edited January 2016
    Something I'm working on that I haven't quite sorted out yet. I'm not sure why but something isn't clicking.
    1140jrtenf6s.jpg

No, seriously, I need it! It's a major award.
    3orx4tti5rn9.jpg

Shellback on
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    I love the linework on that raccoon.

A quick sketch for a lousy day.

ja3sltz9m8ai.jpg

I got the dragon stone pic worked out. I'm pretty pleased with it but I'm open to any constructive feedback.

po04ow8k6cxc.jpg

I feel like the shadows on the rock are weird, since nothing else has cast shadows. I wonder how it would look without them?

Yeah, I was afraid the shadow wouldn't work. I just liked the idea and hoped it would. Without the shadow it looks like this, which I think is better:

8inhlwnyvm30.jpg

Since I'm going to be hanging out here I thought I should design a proper avatar image. I did a quick design of a shell-based Megaman boss portrait.

0krccsvhzxfd.jpg

This is the first painting I've done in about 15 years. I'm interested in hearing some constructive criticism. It's acrylic on a 5x5 canvas.

amnwr26caifi.jpg

rey.jpg 80.4K
    This is something I did for a kid's magazine.

ckzu7nnsnt6c.jpg

I've been messing with pixel animation a bit. It's nothing major, just a guy based on the Megaman run cycle. I've never done anything like this before so it was fun. I've linked it so as to not anger the image size gods.

https://media.giphy.com/media/3ornk0Bm65ZT4JjDLa/giphy.gif

A bit of advice;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KixNx5POpL0

I think that your stuff is a bit goopy in places, and would benefit from a little more balance between hard edges and the curves you like.

I see what you're saying. That's a good video. I used to have a really sharp, hard look to things and I guess I went too far in the other direction. Thanks for the help!

edited March 2016
    Something in progress. I tried taking Iruka's advice so hopefully it's more balanced than previous work.

v8smxpgv3fv8.gif

Shellback on
    edited August 2016

Shellback on
    Wow. I haven't posted anything new in forever. Let's fix that.

u4usv2aaqwnk.jpg

This was me goofing around during a bad case of artist's block.
    mgvy0wel4775.jpg

vb0dws5pr5wa.png

na6il1wq23jx.jpg

9o1eehfhv4op.jpg

rb8p3831tr8o.png

mtrdhq7z2fnd.jpg

This was a weird little "for fun" comic based on an event that happened to me at a bar. They're anthropomorphic because I felt like drawing animal guys. I still don't know why she tried to give me golfballs so forcefully.
    b7jlosya5hcx.jpg

Something new for today. One of Binwin's Minions. I had fun with this one and I think it shows. My stuff comes out super stiff if I think too much (i think so anyway.)ui1zivv6qa0r.jpg

• PeasPeas Registered User regular
    Thanks, Peas! That's something I've been working at.

Here's some new stuff. The dragon was a warm-up piece but I like 'im. The mascots were a piece a did for the Pittsburgh City Paper.

9qmzjc7g0vnd.jpg
    gta9oirzj7kl.jpg

Okay, what have we got going on today.

These were all warm up drawings. A couple are more "complete" than others. The dragon I might finish out to have printed on baby clothes. Babies need geek stuff too, right? I did a quick portrait of Marc Maron while listening to his podcast.

bz6pce16e518.jpg

et1lki6nb2f0.jpg

zcimcqvxq9zl.jpg

I went back and reworked this pic a bit. I hit a "finished not perfect" point with it. I like the lighting, anyway.

t2ari9ba49ek.jpg

• SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    lol, love that Marc Maron haha. Good stuff!

• ziddersroofurryziddersroofurry Registered User regular
    edited October 2016
    Shellback omg I love your art! Especially the Battle-Princess & Ghostbusters pieces.

ziddersroofurry on
    Thanks, guys! I'm glad you like it. Here's something new for the first day of Inktober. Morbius, the living vampire!

czstly1b2ofr.jpg

• LampLamp Registered User regular
    Enjoyed going through your sketches. Really love your expressive lines. Keep it up!

Thanks Lamp! Here's Inktober entry #2:
    ie5x2j46f6n7.jpg

Inktober Day #3 - Tried something new with inkwashing. It came out okay for my first try. The weird discolored spot it making me crazy but I'm just going to let it go.

bezher2uzkvv.jpg

gr2.jpg 32.5K
    Inktober #4: Duskull. This was going to be another inkwash but I accidentally dipped my brush into my coffee cup so I made it a coffee and ink wash.

dthn99zkck4o.jpg

Inktober: Day 5. This time the coffee/ink thing was on purpose this time. I like the way it looks. This is a little 4x4in. coffee/inkwash on bristol board. I've always loved drawing video game guys. Mario, Mega Man, the lot. I wish I had gone into game design back in the day. Video games combine all of my favorite things about art. Character design, story telling, animation, world design. Blargh. If only.

8ij8x6vm4gb8.jpg

edited October 2016
    Inktober took a hit because life is...as the French say...a jerk, but I did this today.

rmax8jk6mj1j.jpg

Shellback on
    I really like the coffee and ink doodles, the warmth is nice.

I like the last one too, though I'm having a little trouble interpreting if his eye is open or closed?

Hah! It took me a second to figure out what you were talking about with the eye but now I can't unsee it. It's supposed to be closed. Once I get it fully colored it should read better. I think I'm going to do more of the coffee and ink doodles. They're quick since they're only about 4x4in and they're fun to do. I missed drawing video game guys more than I realized. It's a branch of art I could really get in to.

Inktober got a little dark today. Coffee, ink and cardboard.

pncwubw5mzhl.gif

hst.gif 545.7K