As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Netflix, Hulu, ot Amazon Prime?

JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
I kinda wanna get a video streaming service. I'm more intrested in TV shows than movies, especially since I hear Netflix doesn't have the best movie selection (especially wrt new releases)

So I'm leaning Hulu, but I'm honestly open to any of them.

What do you think? Are they any pro and cons of any of the services?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    Ignore Prime, it has an awful UI and its selection isn't great.

Netflix probably has a better selection of previous seasons of currently running shows, as well as completed series. They also have a lot of Netflix original series that have gotten pretty good reviews. Hulu isn't too bad for TV shows either though, and has a better selection of recent movies.

Unless it's changed I believe both have 30 day trials, so why not sign up for both, and drop the one you like least?

• E.CoyoteE.Coyote Registered User regular
    I switch between them as I run out of content. Netflix has exclusive shows that are worth watching, but for regular shows it takes a while for them to get new seasons and is the cheaper option. Hulu has current shows, but costs more money for the no commercial plan.The free trial for hulu didn't include the no commercial option if I remember correctly.

Amazon has some hbo shows and a free trial for prime. Worth trying it out.

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    I have both netflix and hulu and I watch hulu WAY more.

Honestly, if my kids didn't watch cartoons on Netflix, I'd cancel it, I watch hulu that much more.

• noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I have all three, so here's my take on them:
    Hulu- Hulu is great if you want to watch modern tv shows and don't have a DVR. I tend not to watch television during the week, so the a lot of the times the wife and I will use Hulu a lot over the weekend to catch up the shows we watch. It's also recently acquired all of Happy Endings, so there's that.

Netflix- Can only speak about the U.S side, but it has a good mix of 'classic' tv shows and movies. Yeah, their selection constantly changes, but generally the tv section stays consistent.

Amazon- Amazon probably has the weakest tv selection, though they do have some of their own that are pretty good- Casual, Catastrophe,and Man in the High Castle. It also has a lot of older HBO content like The Wire, first season of Veep, Deadwood, etc.

If you could only get one, I'd probably go with Netflix, as you'll have plenty to watch.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Amazon's interface is cancer, but there is some decent content there. And really, Prime is great to have anyway, between the free shipping, discounts on new games, and free kindle books and videos.

Netflix has the best exclusives of the three, as well. It's really turning into another HBO.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    I've had all 3 at various points, so some thoughts:

Prime: I keep this around for the other perks. I think their selection is usually not as good as Netflix.
    Hulu: I've had this a couple times over the years. It certainly wins for current season TV content. However, I've always ended up cancelling it because of their annoying insistence on not letting me watch things through the non-computer apps. A bunch of their content is "for computer playback only" or something stupid like that, likely due to bad license agreements with the content providers. So you can't watch it on a TV through Xbox or other apps. I haven't checked in a year or two probably, so maybe this has changed.
    Netflix: Has the best range of content. A nice mix of relatively current TV and lots of older TV/movies. Plus they have a lot of excellent original programming.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    I have all three and I watch Hulu+ the most, probably 3 times more than Netfix, so much so that I upgrade to no commercials.

iTNdmYl.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    I loathe just about everything about Hulu.

I have Prime because I do a lot of shopping on Amazon but I almost never use Prime Video.

I mainly use Netflix. Tons of content.

I guess Hulu is OK if you want to watch some current shows that they actually broadcast. They didn't have anything I was interested in last time I signed up.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Oh and I also have HBO Now.

Honestly? HBO Now is my favorite service, possibly even over Netflix. TV-wise, you are limited to HBO productions, but there are tons of HBO series and they are top notch. Also has tons of movies, including newish ones. I'm a huge fan.

And Crunchyroll is pretty fucking awesome, but that's limited to Anime and I guess they added Manga or something now too.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    Daenris wrote: »
    I've had all 3 at various points, so some thoughts:

Prime: I keep this around for the other perks. I think their selection is usually not as good as Netflix.
    Hulu: I've had this a couple times over the years. It certainly wins for current season TV content. However, I've always ended up cancelling it because of their annoying insistence on not letting me watch things through the non-computer apps. A bunch of their content is "for computer playback only" or something stupid like that, likely due to bad license agreements with the content providers. So you can't watch it on a TV through Xbox or other apps. I haven't checked in a year or two probably, so maybe this has changed.
    Netflix: Has the best range of content. A nice mix of relatively current TV and lots of older TV/movies. Plus they have a lot of excellent original programming.

Ah, that bites as my main platform for viewing would be the PS4 in my bedroom and Hulu sounds like what I'm looking for (more current tv shows)

I have a dvr, but its shared between my father and I so space can become limited rather quickly.

• EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I've been off cable for a few years now, I use all three somewhat.

Hulu has more tv shows.
    Netflix has better movies.
    Amazon generally doesn't have anything that you can't find elsewhere as part of subscription, but if you want to buy certain movies it can be alright.

Occassionally I will activate Crunchyroll for a specific show (i'm a sucker for Korean drama), though if you like Anime you can find palmost everything on Crunchyroll on Hulu these days.

Generally speaking I watch through a smart TV and through a Roku box, no real difficulties.

Enc on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    As above, amazon prime is mostly just a weird perk to their shopping service. It also comes with decent music streaming, though, which can be a pretty nice value depending on your needs.

What is this I don't even.
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    The one thing that always puts Hulu back on my shitlist is there apps are garbage. Yeah, Prime may be ugly, but it never crashes for me. Hulu does on pretty much every device: PS3, Roku, iPad.
    Netflix wins for easiest to use and best kid interface. May not matter to you.
    Hulu does have a great selection when the interface isn't boiling my blood. Also the commericals are annoying. Not necessarily because they exist, but because they will play the same commercial over and over and over and over and over.
    As mentioned by other Prime is good, but is mainly an addon to the other Prime perks. One other awesome thing now is Prime Family or whatever. You can share Prime with one other adult account inthe same address or something. Great for a 2 adult household.

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Having all 3 I can say I use Netflix the most. Not a huge movie fan myself though so adjust accordingly. The Netflix originals are just amazing and beat anything the other 2 even try to offer.

Amazon is kinda like Netflix lite. They have some exclusive cool stuff, but mostly it's unimpressive.

Hulu is mostly for current stuff and a bunch of weird anime my beloved spouse likes to watch but not as good for binging. The ads being the same damn ones so reptitively really does get old.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    This is actually a very relevant question: What country do you live in?

liEt3nH.png
    US of A

Also sounds like quite a lot of unexpected downsides (poor apps, content only on pc) to Hulu.

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    Hulu is shit. Really - there's no upside, and there won't be to any digital "upstart" that advertises. Se-so? fuck-you.
    Netflix is great for originals, terrible movies, terrible original movies, and movies you should have already seen.
    Amazon is great if you don't already have cable of any kind and want to pay for movies you can otherwise get on redbox (aces if you're a hermit).

All of these usually suck in comparison to just buying cable, but if you want to put on your pork pie hat and go for the whole I don't have a TV thing, I'd focus on Amazon in terms of economy (the shipping element far exceeds season 2 of Red Oaks, as much as I dug season 1).

• TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    So much of this depends on what you want to watch. If I could only have one, it would be Hulu+, since they have so many Criterion collection films, but that's just because of the sort of person I am. In general Netflix has a great spread, Amazon has some neat things you can't get anywhere else, and Hulu has ads.

• hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Hulu+ without ads is $12/month, as that's my current subscription. I believe that Hulu came out with their ad free upgrade (an extra $4/mo) about 6 months ago.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    For all the hate on Hulu, I use it quite regularly for a variety of shows and the App is no worse than Netflix on Roku or my SmartTV. In fact, in many ways it seems to crash less and is easier to search (so your mileage may vary here).

I couldn't do ~just~ Hulu or Netflix, because I would seriously have run out of content by now. Hulu has a lot of international content (especially UK shows) which I enjoy a good bit.

Calling any of them "shit" seems pretty clannish and short sighted to me. If you are cutting cable you will want to rotate between the two as seasons release new content you want. I keep both active because it is about $20 together for the plans we use and it gives my wife and I a variety of content we both enjoy to replace cable (which for a similar range of cntent was like 140 where we live).

I say go both, unless you are super strapped for cash. If so, then go monthly based on what you want to watch in the queue.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I do find Hulu+ to have more things that I watch regularly than netflix. I like netflix, but I wait for content to build up and then in the summer when tv shows are on hiatus I renew my script binge watch all the stuff from netflix and drop it by the end of summer.

I just have amazon prime, because for christmas it makes things so much easier. Next thing I need is amazon to sync up with my google calendar, and be like hey you forgot to get your mom a present for her birthday, maybe you should send her x, we will have it to her the day before if you order today.

I'm not straped for cash but I realise that I don't watch that much tv, so while one of these sounds fine 2 seems like overkill.

• MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Didn't Hulu get a lot of the newer movies Netflix had been getting?

I say try out their trials. Both are great in their own ways.

Amazon prime is just a bonus to the free shipping and to me is pretty unremarkable as a fill in for the other two (to be fair, prime does have seasons of some hbo shows, Justified and some newer movies that Netflix does not)

And also take a look at HboNow. A better set of very new movies and some good original series.

Mulletude on
    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • ElbasunuElbasunu Registered User regular
    I use Netflix and Amazon prime, but that is primarily because I have a toddler and (before sesame street went to HBO) they were the best place for children's programming. Netflix and Amazon both have Thomas (but different selections), Netflix has Puffin Rock and Octonauts, Amazon has Tumble Leaf and some other shows.

g1xfUKU.png?10zfegkyoor3b.png
    Steam ID: Obos Vent: Obos
  • dresdenphiledresdenphile Watch out for snakes!Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I have all three, but Netflix and Hulu+ get the most use.
    • Netflix is for the kids and the original programming (Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, etc).
    • Hulu+ is for broadcast TV (because our reception is terrible and cuts out on most programs, even with an additional set of "bunny ears" plugged into it) and Comedy Central. The commercials are super annoying, because they pick like three and run them all on nearly every commercial break. I can't bring myself to pay the extra for ad-free, though.
    • Amazon Prime is a thing I have, because I like 2-day free shipping on stuff. My kids have used it a couple of times for Avatar and a couple of Nick shows.
    I'm not thrilled with any of the interfaces, to be honest. Netflix, for example, constantly moves the "My List" row, so it's often easier just to find the "Recently Watched" row.

This infographic shows you all the original programming on the Big 3.

dresdenphile on
    steam_sig.png
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote: »
    I use Netflix and Amazon prime, but that is primarily because I have a toddler and (before sesame street went to HBO) they were the best place for children's programming. Netflix and Amazon both have Thomas (but different selections), Netflix has Puffin Rock and Octonauts, Amazon has Tumble Leaf and some other shows.

Your toddler has pretty similar tastes to mine from the sounds of it. Try Eggsperts on Amazon if you haven't yet. That was a big hit when discovered recently. He also loved the pilot for Stinky and Dirty, but I don't think they've released any more episodes yet.

• King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    I have all three and Prime is utterly worthless IMO. I have it for free shipping and discounts. and music I guess . The free show selection is abysmal for my tastes and it's a slog to search through

I'd say Hulu and Netflix together have a very solid selection for adults and kids ( or nerdy guys ) though Hulu can be weird about what shows stay and which don't but it's not a huge deal.

Anything they don't have or will but not or like a year I buy ala carte on google play

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    prime has star trek

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    So does netflix I believe? I know I have seen Next Gen, DS0 and the animated one very recently. I would almost pay to see the weird ass deal that would have to be cut to have all those but not the original Star Trek.

• CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I have all three, and mostly use Amazon Prime. You can rent recent movies on it. It has most of the shows that Netflix does. Hulu is good for recent TV - I use it to watch the Daily Show and Agents of Shield and that sort of thing.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    i feel like i would use prime more if it was easier to browse. i find it too much of a pain to delineate between what is actually free and what is a rental

camo_sig.png
    mts wrote: »
    i feel like i would use prime more if it was easier to browse. i find it too much of a pain to delineate between what is actually free and what is a rental

New stuff and movies are rentals, as a rule. But it would be nice to be able to see it while browsing.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    That was one of my big annoyances with Prime, that 'free' and pay-for content were mixed in together. It's great during to explain to a child why she can't watch that episode of Peppa Pig, but this one is OK.

we've got Netflix and Hulu at the moment, not sure if we will continue. Want to check out SlingTV as I've heard good things.

Got an antenna from Amazon, just need to hook it up this weekend so we can get rid of cable.

edited January 2016
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    That was one of my big annoyances with Prime, that 'free' and pay-for content were mixed in together.

I'm pretty sure that's intentional. Seasons 1-3 of Dora the Explorer are free, the rest you have to buy. Fortunately my kid is too young to care that she's just watching the same ones over and over.

CelestialBadger on
  • lunchbox12682lunchbox12682 MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Prime has Justified and the Amazon originals. For the moment that makes the interface tolerable.

• BillyIdleBillyIdle What does "katana" mean? It means "Japanese sword."Registered User regular
    I kinda wanna get a video streaming service. I'm more intrested in TV shows than movies, especially since I hear Netflix doesn't have the best movie selection (especially wrt new releases)

So I'm leaning Hulu, but I'm honestly open to any of them.

What do you think? Are they any pro and cons of any of the services?

A big pro for Netflix is you can Netflix and chill! That's my two cents.

PSN: BillyIdle_
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    We have all 3 and probably watch Hulu and Netflix about the same, and Amazon Prime somewhat less so. If I'm browsing for something to watch, it's a toss up on if I choose Netflix or Hulu. For most stuff, though, we just use the search feature on our Roku and go with whatever comes up.

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Prime will soon have the new Clarkson-May-Hammond Not Top Gear show, so if Top Gear is a thing you like (and if you also like free shipping), Prime is worth.

I also have Netflix, but not Hulu, and I haven't had cable since 2007. I've never run out of TV to watch so far...

• ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    The thought of Top Gear shipping gives me goosebumps.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Thirith wrote: »
    The thought of Top Gear shipping gives me goosebumps.

The fastest delivery

in the world