As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] Woeful sanity, have audience with cosmos

• Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    If you have good ranged damage aim for the face. Hit the face with like 1000 damage on NG+ and you get a free visceral attack. Otherwise you just have to get good at dodging during his three-claw-swipe attack.

In phase two you can circle around his "crawl viciously at you with dual claws" move. He cannot rotate as fast as you can circle around him. This takes good positioning but will help trivialize the phase. He leaves himself open with his large, sweeping strike for seconds. Use this time to attack him. The safest location is at his sides, be cautious about being in front or behind him.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Houn wrote: »
    Ok, started a new character, going to focus on strength weapons. Axe is incredible. Cleric Beast dead (second attempt), Gascoigne dead (first attempt).

Though honestly, the most satisfying kill was this one:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gq3ozXS_npo

Yeah, I took the wolf out on my second character, then backstabbed the dude near the ladder up to the first lamp outside the clinic, then walked into the hunters dream on my own volition.

Felt pretty good!

"I have arrived."

re laurence, I do not think that the holy blade is very good against laurence, at least not with only 30 30 like i have. Even with a +10 and halfway decent gems, he hits too fast and the blade is too slow in both forms. You just don't have the time to lay in any decent damage to him.
    I killed him with it, but I felt like I was fighting uphill in waist deep snow the whole time.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Alright, got the claw. Now I just have to finish two more chalice dungeons for the last trophy before NG+. Not sure if I'm ready, maybe I should grind more souls...this boss in the other Depth 4 dungeon could kill me pretty easily.

uyvfOQy.png
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Which boss and which dungeon.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I can make a new thread. I wrote a noob's spoiler guide in December.

Well it crashed when I wrote it so nevermind. Just throw this in.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJxi_w6jwRg

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Which boss and which dungeon.

I'm clearing out the Ailing Loran dungeon now. Went in for he Beast Claw, might as well try to finish it up.
    The first one was a new werewolf/beast boss. It could kill me in two hits, pretty rough. Second was just BSB again, so one-shotted that again.

These red spiders are getting insane. I've heard they get even worse, so I'm not sure I can even finish a Depth 5 dungeon. Sheesh.

uyvfOQy.png
  • EtiowsaEtiowsa Registered User regular
    Fuckin spiders. Spiders aren't supposed to actually be dangerous! They are a blatant violation of video game custom!

• BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    There's two rooms in the chalices that are just pure evil.
    One of them is a Loran room with two spider summoning bell maidens and two werewolves and some corpses ready to surprise you too.

The other is the Isz room with more squid faces than I care to remember, some casters spamming spells at you and, again, a werewolf.

They suck.

Billiardball on
    Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • Corp.ShephardCorp.Shephard Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    One of them is a Loran room with two spider summoning bell maidens and two werewolves and some corpses ready to surprise you too.

The other is the Isz room with more squid faces than I care to remember, some casters spamming spells at you and, again, a werewolf.

They suck.

Heh, you're forgetting another evil part
    In Lower Loran there's a part where nine red spiders will attack you through a gauntlet. You have to push through and kill two bell maidens while werewolves and fire-weapon enchanted pthumeru slaves patrol the room.

The evil thing is that bell ringing women summon 3 spiders each. Three of the other spiders are "mortal" but are red anyways. Just to fuck with you. Just to make you think there's a third woman keeping them immortal. When I encountered this my general plan was "run by and snipe the woman". So I killed two bellringers and still saw spiders coming and I was like "oh fuck, gotta find the third one". But there is no third one. I think inevitably I had to kill them to make breathing room and realized they weren't coming back.

It's a pretty big dick move.
    ... or maybe that's the same part? Loran pulls that shit all the time...

Corp.Shephard on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    One of the things that always bugs me about these games is missing a quest.
    I understand that you can meet up with Eileen the Crow outside Cathedral Ward, but only before you defeat Vicar Amelia.

Well, I never saw her outside the Cathedral and went ahead and killed Amelia. So now I understand I'm locked out of some weapons and armor as well?

Kind of annoying.

edit: well nevermind, I guess the wiki was wrong. Just went and did the thing it said I couldn't do.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • BilliardballBilliardball Registered User regular

They suck.

In Lower Loran there's a part where nine red spiders will attack you through a gauntlet. You have to push through and kill two bell maidens while werewolves and fire-weapon enchanted pthumeru slaves patrol the room.

The evil thing is that bell ringing women summon 3 spiders each. Three of the other spiders are "mortal" but are red anyways. Just to fuck with you. Just to make you think there's a third woman keeping them immortal. When I encountered this my general plan was "run by and snipe the woman". So I killed two bellringers and still saw spiders coming and I was like "oh fuck, gotta find the third one". But there is no third one. I think inevitably I had to kill them to make breathing room and realized they weren't coming back.

I think that's the same one and I just forgot about the fire enchanted guys.

It's not a fun room.

Switch: SW-7948-4390-2014 / 3DS: 0688-5244-6057 / FF14: Salus Claro
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular

They suck.

I think that's the same one and I just forgot about the fire enchanted guys.

It's not a fun room.

Beast Roar pushes them away but not even that can save you from the Lower Loran version.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    One of the things that always bugs me about these games is missing a quest.
    I understand that you can meet up with Eileen the Crow outside Cathedral Ward, but only before you defeat Vicar Amelia.

Well, I never saw her outside the Cathedral and went ahead and killed Amelia. So now I understand I'm locked out of some weapons and armor as well?

Kind of annoying.

edit: well nevermind, I guess the wiki was wrong. Just went and did the thing it said I couldn't do.

Yeah, you missed a conversation (which I always miss) but it isn't required to advance the questline.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Hrm. So, I opened the lamp to Old Yharnam, but didn't want to piss off Djura this time around, so I bailed and tried heading toward the Vicar instead. But man, these things hit hard; I don't think I noticed last time because I'd already gone through BSB and all that, gaining several levels and weapon upgrades.

Also, why does the Hunter's Axe seem so much more effective than the Kirkhammer? It's got stagger, sure, but I'm wondering if all these enemies are resistant to blunt, because the damage output on the R1s is pretty poor.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Hrm. So, I opened the lamp to Old Yharnam, but didn't want to piss off Djura this time around, so I bailed and tried heading toward the Vicar instead. But man, these things hit hard; I don't think I noticed last time because I'd already gone through BSB and all that, gaining several levels and weapon upgrades.

Also, why does the Hunter's Axe seem so much more effective than the Kirkhammer? It's got stagger, sure, but I'm wondering if all these enemies are resistant to blunt, because the damage output on the R1s is pretty poor.

the axe is simply way too OP and anything other than another OP weapon seems crap by comparison

also the charge R2 is a gauranteed knockdown on a ton of enemies, and the axe has the highest rally except maybe some old hunter weapon I dont know about

Jasconius on
    edited January 2016
    its got a real bad one handed moveset
    its slow, it sucks against anything fast they get out of it really easily. rally is useless if enemies are hitting you hard enough and you are doing enough damage to them, you cant hit them enough times to recover the lost health.

it cannot stun the really big things as well as the kirkhammer when you DONT have time to charge that r2.

which can be quite a lot of the time

like most powerful weapons, its opness is overrated. its definitely op at the start of the game compared to saw and cane, less so as you continue. kirkhammer has benefits that beat it out by miles, such as, eg, fantastic stunlock that works on almost anything, and its twohanded r2 can face plant whatever the axe will knock down. i use the axe a lot less than my kirkhammer on the build that is trying to beeline for beast claws, which means tough enemies quick.

guess what.

it aint that crash hot against these tough enemies! kirkhammers better.

Morninglord on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    At max range you're also likely hitting with the hammer AOE rather than the actual hammer, which means you'll do far less damage

finally finished the game spoiler free and i paid for it by not realizing the NG+ trigger

there was shit left un-done

damn

edited January 2016
    At max range you're also likely hitting with the hammer AOE rather than the actual hammer, which means you'll do far less damage

At max range you only hit with one hit of the two handed axe R2, for ditto.

All weapons have range limitations. The hammer has a bonus aoe that hits beyond its max range. Its max range is the range at which the hammer hits normally.

Put another way, with a different weapon, you'd whiff for zero damage. None of your mental calculations for range in combat should be considering the aoe.

Morninglord on
    1. The AoE is actually turning out to be a disadvantage, because it almost always guarantees that they hit me before the next R1 can finish, meaning I have to dodge/strafe and "reset" the engagement.
    2. I was underestimating the longsword form of the Kirkhammer. Thing does work.
    3. I decided I don't care what Djura thinks. Those beasts attacked me first; I was just going for a pleasant evening stroll and they tried to kill me, so hell yeah I defended myself, and if some crazy dude with a minigun doesn't like me, whatever. I don't need his approval to feel good about myself.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    note that you can still be friends with djura later if you go through the gauntlet with him shooting at you

liEt3nH.png
    did they change gasgione in the last two patches... hes going into beast form at like 80% on me

note that you can still be friends with djura later if you go through the gauntlet with him shooting at you

On the other hand, I'll never be able to explore that area in peace unless he's dead.

Choices.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jasconius wrote: »
    did they change gasgione in the last two patches... hes going into beast form at like 80% on me

Are you using the music box? He beasts out automatically after you use the music box three times, IIRC

Maddoc wrote: »
    Jasconius wrote: »

Are you using the music box? He beasts out automatically after you use the music box three times, IIRC

ahh... yeah thatll do it

On the other hand, I'll never be able to explore that area in peace unless he's dead.

Choices.

oh you totally can, just very very carefully

im playing boom hammer and cannon in NG+

let us cleanse these foul streets

edited January 2016
    1. The AoE is actually turning out to be a disadvantage, because it almost always guarantees that they hit me before the next R1 can finish, meaning I have to dodge/strafe and "reset" the engagement.
    2. I was underestimating the longsword form of the Kirkhammer. Thing does work.
    3. I decided I don't care what Djura thinks. Those beasts attacked me first; I was just going for a pleasant evening stroll and they tried to kill me, so hell yeah I defended myself, and if some crazy dude with a minigun doesn't like me, whatever. I don't need his approval to feel good about myself.

kirkhammer's two handed is not even remotely a spam weapon so I don't consider that a downside. trying to spam to beat incoming attacks aint happening with this weapon in two handed form. its quicksteb r1 is faster than the normal r1 so you are meant to dodge and start your stun chain from that.
    its good for multiple enemies cos itll interrupt incoming attacks that you'd otherwise get hit by

Morninglord on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Welp, found my wall. There's usually one of those in these games.
    Shadows of Yharnam. Barf. They keep finding ways to make the multi-boss fights worse in these games.

I can't even kill one before they all enter the second phase.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Welp, found my wall. There's usually one of those in these games.
    Shadows of Yharnam. Barf. They keep finding ways to make the multi-boss fights worse in these games.

I can't even kill one before they all enter the second phase.

Hmm. That was kind of rough my first time. The second time?
    I brought the summon. Ahahaha oh god its so much easier when 1/2 are constantly not attacking you. The extra health they gain isn't that significant in this fight either... I just completed murdered them.

As to the mechanics of the fight...
    The phases are triggered by their remaining health - from what I've read it's a matter of what the lowest health bar is at... which makes it kind of mean - you REALLY want one gone ASAP, but the longer you wait to bring one low the longer they're in phase 1.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Weirdly, that is one of the two boss fights that I've never died on (The other being the Witch)

Maddoc on
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    It's nowhere near as bad as O&S or Ruin Sentinels I think. This may in part be because
    They're plain regular enemies late in, and not major-threat ones like the sentinels, but just straight up grunts, and they die like grunts too - less than half a stamina bar.

Of course, they also don't have any of the rapid "hope you saw me preparing this" across-the-room stuff O&S and the sentinels have.

I do think three boss targets at once is pushing it in terms of what's fair though. There's a point where it becomes dodging forever waiting for them to line up so you can attack safely.

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Just summon. That's the closest boss to the Jolly Co-Op covenant, so there's always players around farming assists so they can rank up.

If you're intent on soloing it, I managed it by just playing circle games around the large obstruction just to your right as you enter the arena. Breaking LoS and getting them to chase you keeps it manageable.

Just summon. That's the closest boss to the Jolly Co-Op covenant, so there's always players around farming assists so they can rank up.

If you're intent on soloing it, I managed it by just playing circle games around the large obstruction just to your right as you enter the arena. Breaking LoS and getting them to chase you keeps it manageable.

For some reason it's not allowing me to summon in front of the boss room.

i got the shadows on my first attempt..

if i recall there's a large tomb in there, you just never stop circling that tomb

i think what I did is I would circle the tomb to get distance on the melee ones, and then I would cheapshot the caster while they were pathing... once you're down to two, it's manageable. and you can bolt paper charge R2 them as they follow you around the tomb

i mean... its a maximum cheese strat, but it works

my wall is, pathetically, gasgionne. i've probably died to him more than all other bosses in the entire game combined. i think its because I prefer the bigger slower weapons and it's just not a good matchup

The extra sad thing is that I have a Tonitrus +5 which absolutely wrecks them but I tend to lose track of one or two them or get stuck on a wall or something while dodging.

I'd always go for the caster first, but the melee guy with the katana is constantly in my face.

For some reason it's not allowing me to summon in front of the boss room.

Back up to the stairs, maybe a bit up them. I noticed the same, there seems to be a little no-summon-zone just before the boss door. Walk halfway up the flight, summon, and stay there: if you walk back down, it seems to cancel it.

The extra sad thing is that I have a Tonitrus +5 which absolutely wrecks them but I tend to lose track of one or two them or get stuck on a wall or something while dodging.

I'd always go for the caster first, but the melee guy with the katana is constantly in my face.

I go melee, melee/spell, and then the caster personally

edited January 2016
    Shadows
    I did not lock on until two were dead.
    I sprinted and jogged in circles, waited for stamina, and sprinted in a circle to flank the enemy furtherest from the rest, hit that enemy once with a running attack, and was off again.

It was basically yakety sax.

DOn't lock on, don't play their game. Play your game. Make them chase you uselessly.

It was super duper easy since your mobility without being locked on completely outclasses their ability to catch up.

Morninglord on
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    That sounds overcomplicated

*L2s*