As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Bloodborne] "Behold! A Paleblood sky!"

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Re: shadows of Yharnam
    I always just keep the pillar between me and one or two of them while taking on the most aggressive one. I agree with other posters: melee, then melee/caster, then caster. Kill them each one at a time.

The snakes will come out, but just unlock and dodge as best you can. If the mage is the last one alive, he sucks up close. If you can stun lock him, you'll never see a snake.

He only summoned one snake the first time I fought them, and that snake was far away for some reason. I was confused because I'd never seen it in the fight.

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Honestly, people would bitch a lot less in the souls games if adding a stat gave you a single point of life just like def.
    Too many people just don't get it.

It's an rpg.

No, its not 100% skill. You can make the game brutally, unrealistically hard by not levelling vit at all. If you don't like that level your goddam vit. It's your "game balance o meter".

Shit, even devil may cry and bayonetta let you increase your health bar.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    It's just something you have to do and not doing it negates your right to complain about one shots.

I went back and revisited my first character (only got her through Gascoigne) and was trying to remember how to Kirkhammer. During that process, she felt so incredibly frail compared to my whip character. Like, sliver of health after taking a single hit from one of the reapers on the path up to the Cathedral cemetery gate. Turns out, my stats were all sorts of borked (like, 16 vit, 10 stam, 20 str)...I might have to delete and remake her because she just can't take a hit and doesn't have the stamina to dodge and attack.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Uh, most of the guns have perfectly good Bloodtinge scaling

Evelyn is S, yes, but the Pistol, Blunderbuss, and Piercing Rifle all have A, and Repeating Pistol has B

Furthermore, Evelyn's low base damage means that it frequently only has a small damage advantage over any of the guns I listed, even at 50 Bloodtinge, and Repeating Pistol has higher damage albeit at the cost of bullet efficiency

Where Evelyn actually shines is that the damage falloff is almost nonexistent

I'm not sure how you can say the pistol's scaling is relevant when evelyn is flat out better for bloodtinge characters while simultaneously claiming evelyn's base damage is low enough the scaling isn't *that* big a deal while still mentioning the blunderbuss's scaling as being relevant.

There's a reason nearly every bloodtinge character will have evelyn equipped on one of their offhand slots - its simply the most efficient gun damage available for them that doubles as your basic, unaltered parry mechanism. Repeating Pistol is a fine weapon too really, it just gets little love because effectively halving your bullet reserves kinda sucks for the small gains you get out of it.

And the Piercing Rifle? Its...just kind of a mystery in general. I don't think I've ever even heard of anyone using it for any real purpose, nevermind seen one.

Piercing Rifle has like... 5 less damage than Evelyn at 50 Bloodtinge

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    It's just something you have to do and not doing it negates your right to complain about one shots.

BOOOOO

Psn:wazukki
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    wazilla wrote: »

BOOOOO

NEGATES

*points upstairs*

Go to your room and don't come down until you have some vit!

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Yes, but Piercing Rifle also has different startup and recover vs things like the regular pistol and evelyn. Like in the case of the blunderbuss, you change those things for the worse for a wider spread that can stun some enemies if you screwed up your parry timing. But in the case of the rifle, you make them worse so you can...hit multiple enemies if they were in a straight line. Its just not something that is ever really relevant in Bloodborne.

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Or you get up right in somethings face and shoot a +10 Blunderbuss for like a thousand damage per blast without bone ash

Like, I'm not saying it's the best strategy or one that I would recommend, but saying that Evelyn is the only gun with good Bloodtinge scaling is factually incorrect

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I don't even think his one shot attacks are unfair or anything, I was just not dodging them after the first fight for some reason.

So, back to the vit mines.

Psn:wazukki
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Uh, most of the guns have perfectly good Bloodtinge scaling

Evelyn is S, yes, but the Pistol, Blunderbuss, and Piercing Rifle all have A, and Repeating Pistol has B

Furthermore, Evelyn's low base damage means that it frequently only has a small damage advantage over any of the guns I listed, even at 50 Bloodtinge, and Repeating Pistol has higher damage albeit at the cost of bullet efficiency

Where Evelyn actually shines is that the damage falloff is almost nonexistent

I'm not sure how you can say the pistol's scaling is relevant when evelyn is flat out better for bloodtinge characters while simultaneously claiming evelyn's base damage is low enough the scaling isn't *that* big a deal while still mentioning the blunderbuss's scaling as being relevant.

There's a reason nearly every bloodtinge character will have evelyn equipped on one of their offhand slots - its simply the most efficient gun damage available for them that doubles as your basic, unaltered parry mechanism. Repeating Pistol is a fine weapon too really, it just gets little love because effectively halving your bullet reserves kinda sucks for the small gains you get out of it.

And the Piercing Rifle? Its...just kind of a mystery in general. I don't think I've ever even heard of anyone using it for any real purpose, nevermind seen one.

Piercing Rifle has like... 5 less damage than Evelyn at 50 Bloodtinge
    yeah but

it's not good for parries and the benefit is i guess piercing shots and longer range? do you ever need either of those things?

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    Close to wrapping up my first ever run through this game! I still have a good bit of the DLC to do, the final main story segment, and maybe half the core chalice dungeon content.

Running with a pure Skill build, and I've just been rocking this same ol' +9 Threaded Cane all game (well... obviously it wasn't +9 initially, but yeah). Never used any other primary weapon. I can't even see any options! There's like two other Skill weapons I've seen so far (more in the DLC ahead I'm sure), but they both require other stats I haven't bothered touching (no points in my milquetoast's Bloodtinge or Arcane). I'm even still using the starting pistol.

Just feels really odd coming from Souls where I'd usually have five or six viable weapons at any point. I'd have tons of choices if I went Strength instead. I'm honestly still not even sure what the point of Skill is; it's just Strength with vastly fewer weapon choices.

Then again, one of those weapon choices is the Threaded Cane, and that makes Skill clearly the superior stat. (I love this thing so much)

Also is it just me or does this game have more bullshit in its bosses than Souls tended toward? A good number of them are plenty easy to read, but a few have such short tells on their attacks that you're hit before you can fire your gun or dodge out of the way (due to animation delay, not twitch failure -- even observed this a few times when random panic-dodging led to me starting the avoidance or firing the gun even before I could see the boss starting to attack, and they'd still land the hit). Ironically it seems to make this game much more of an RPG than Souls. I ran through DS2 with almost no VIT, but my level 100 Hunter is already rocking 30 points of it. And I'd have more if the gains didn't suddenly drop off so badly.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
    I mean, if I'm running 50 Bloodtinge, I'm often not really worried about parrying so much as just dropping a couple bullets into something and making it dead before it's even close enough to be a threat. I'm not running Bloodtinge to add a couple hundred more damage on top of like 1000 damage viscerals, I'm doing it to make bullets fuck things up.

Or if we really want to get down to it this is a totally meaningless argument because now it's just all about shooting arrows at things, but still.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    After Paarl, I stopped using summons when playing by myself.

I just feel guilty.

Gotta give them a chance yknow.

It's just mean.

Still used them if I found them when my girlfriend was watching tho cos she's all aboard the mean train. Toot toot pile on! Honor is for losers! :^:

I'm bad at video games, so I'm generally ok with it!

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    The Sauce wrote: »
    Close to wrapping up my first ever run through this game! I still have a good bit of the DLC to do, the final main story segment, and maybe half the core chalice dungeon content.

Running with a pure Skill build, and I've just been rocking this same ol' +9 Threaded Cane all game (well... obviously it wasn't +9 initially, but yeah). Never used any other primary weapon. I can't even see any options! There's like two other Skill weapons I've seen so far (more in the DLC ahead I'm sure), but they both require other stats I haven't bothered touching (no points in my milquetoast's Bloodtinge or Arcane). I'm even still using the starting pistol.

Just feels really odd coming from Souls where I'd usually have five or six viable weapons at any point. I'd have tons of choices if I went Strength instead. I'm honestly still not even sure what the point of Skill is; it's just Strength with vastly fewer weapon choices.

Then again, one of those weapon choices is the Threaded Cane, and that makes Skill clearly the superior stat. (I love this thing so much)

Also is it just me or does this game have more bullshit in its bosses than Souls tended toward? A good number of them are plenty easy to read, but a few have such short tells on their attacks that you're hit before you can fire your gun or dodge out of the way (due to animation delay, not twitch failure -- even observed this a few times when random panic-dodging led to me starting the avoidance or firing the gun even before I could see the boss starting to attack, and they'd still land the hit). Ironically it seems to make this game much more of an RPG than Souls. I ran through DS2 with almost no VIT, but my level 100 Hunter is already rocking 30 points of it. And I'd have more if the gains didn't suddenly drop off so badly.

If one of those other weapons is Blade of Mercy, you shouldn't be dismissing it - the arcane damage/scaling is just nice gravy, it's 100% a skill weapon.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

Spoiler: You don't need to invest in Arcane or Bloodtinge to use either of the weapons you're thinking of, in fact you shouldn't invest in Arcane or Bloodtinge while using those weapons because it won't make fuck all difference

Basically you've got more options available than you think you do

• RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Or you get up right in somethings face and shoot a +10 Blunderbuss for like a thousand damage per blast without bone ash

Like, I'm not saying it's the best strategy or one that I would recommend, but saying that Evelyn is the only gun with good Bloodtinge scaling is factually incorrect

Well I mean, what I actually said was "the only gun that's worth noting for its scaling is Evelyn." And I'm not trying to be overly semantic but it isn't the same thing as "the only gun with high scaling is Evelyn." Other guns have reasonable looking scaling but don't get used on high bloodtinge characters for various reasons we've discussed. Though the biggest possible exception is definitely the Repeating Pistol, even though its scaling is only a B in the end and the reason its damage is high is because of the double bullet thing.

• Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Well, I'll need to put a few points into those stats just to equip the weapons. So far everything's gone into Vitality, Endurance, and Skill. I'm now getting diminished returns from Vitality and Skill, so maybe I can spare some points elsewhere for a bit to open up those choices. Though it seems awkward to do so now that I'm close to the end of the game (though perhaps that isn't fair as the chalice dungeons get ridiculously tough, at least in terms of regular NG play).

Fleur de Alys on
    Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • ShenShen Registered User regular

Reiterpallasch, Blade of Mercy and Burial Blade are your skill alternatives, with Saw Spear and Rifle Spear being decent stopgaps. There's a paucity of weapon choices in the main game; strength doesn't actually fair much better. The weapons (besides the saw spear/cleaver, which share the same untricked moveset) are very differentiated though.

It's certainly a much harder game to never die to any boss, but I don't think that makes it more of an RPG - Souls bosses are just really fucking slow, and having a shield trivialises some 80% or more of them.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
    edited January 2016
    After Paarl, I stopped using summons when playing by myself.

I just feel guilty.

Gotta give them a chance yknow.

It's just mean.

Still used them if I found them when my girlfriend was watching tho cos she's all aboard the mean train. Toot toot pile on! Honor is for losers! :^:

I'm bad at video games

so am i! my default everything in a novel game is the level of trash.

honestly i think its doing yourself a disservice to use one rather than trying to get better at using your hunters capabilities. this is one of those rare games where it initially seems like the enemy is just there to fuck with you, but in reality you are the one preying on them, and you are the one who can stomp their faces into the dirt while laughing with murderous glee.

it just takes a while to learn sometimes, but I think its really worth it to try.

i can totally understanding doing it in souls, cos souls IS basically about fucking with you.

this one isn't. this one the fucking with you is actually a knowing nod and a wink, saying "Look, I brought you some new toys! Don't be too mean to them."
    your characters potential is sooooo powerful, as a player you have so much room to grow and improve. it just seems a waste not to capitalise.

Morninglord on
    like, the last time i felt this powerful in a video game was assassin's creed brotherhood

but this one is so much more satisfying.

edited January 2016

Dodge happens when you release the button, not when you press it. Series wide convention. This game is a bit faster, so you are just coming to realise this now, whereas I found this out when I was doing my caestus runs in souls and would be like "I was dodging!"
    I wasn't actually dodging. I'd pressed the button, and I'd believed I'd seen my character move, but they hadn't moved, because I had to let the button go before they'd start moving which was subtly throwing off my timing. But since I thought dodge worked on button press and I knew I'd pressed that button, I would swear I'd seen my character moving.
    Turns out nah. When I found out dodge starts on letting go, I added that into my timing calculations, focus on letting go, and bam, no more problem.
    I have never seen my character start the dodge animation and get hit in the middle of the dodge. Only if I dodged way, way too early and got hit in the recovery. I actually doubt that you are seeing this so much I think you should record a video of it next time you see it so I can download it off youtube and run through it with a frame by frame program to figure out what's happening. Because in my experience this does happen in souls. It doesn't happen in this game.
    And yes, guns have delay on them. Your character raises the pistol to firing position before taking the shot, and the blunderbuss is slower at firing. The pistol is faster and can interrupt faster enemy attacks without trading. With the way the pistol works, there are attacks you aren't meant to be able to reaction fire parry even with the faster pistol and are supposed to dodge through into a combo instead. Or you can opportunistically plink at dangerous fast enemies since you've got a decent supply of bullets and it works at a decent range. Try to guess their attack. Backstep into parry can work really well against faster enemies since they usually try to combo you.

We have basically the opposite opinion on, I think, everything you just said, come to think of it. Bullshit bosses (I think they're all much fairer), no problems with dodging, I think the game is much less of an rpg than souls, although its still definitely an action rpg.

Morninglord on

Dodge happens when you release the button, not when you press it.
    I have never seen my character start a dodge and get hit in the middle of the dodge. Only if I dodged way, way too early and got hit in the recovery. I actually doubt that you are seeing this so much I think you should record a video of it next time you can see it so I can download it off youtube and run through it with a frame by frame program to figure out what's really happening.
    Because in my experience this does happen in souls. It doesn't happen in this game.

Yeah, I don't agree with your assessment of Bloodborne's bosses, Sauce - in general, because your character is so fast and aggressive and can heal very quickly, the bosses are very fast and aggressive to provide an equivalent challenge. I don't think there are any attacks that are faster than your gun or dodge unless you're just reacting too slowly.

The dodge has tons of invincible frames in its startup. It's far more likely for a Bloodborne PC to be hit at the end of a dodge; usually this is because you mistimed it and dodged too early, or you dodged the wrong direction and ended up at the end of their attack arc (this happens a lot with big bosses, enemies using long weapons to attack in a horizontal arc, etc.)

Also note that firing your gun will not always interrupt an attack animation. Smaller enemies might be staggered by any gunshot, but tougher or larger enemies will not flinch. Those enemies require that you shoot them during the startup of their attack animation as a parry (if they are parryable, and many are).

There are very few bosses that have anything I would call BS or unfair - by which I would say things that seem random, or are really hard to spot due to camera wonkiness, or things that are hard to react to or predict and are likely to kill you the first time you confront them
    Rom's magic attacks are definitely in BS territory, and some of the chalice bosses maybe--aside from that, I guess the snakes from the Shadows? Maybe the WN's clone? All the bosses in Bloodborne are pretty legit, actually.

Oh, I guess the witches can pop that crazy magic burst sometimes that does HUGE damage and seems to come out for no reason.

edited January 2016
    I shouldn't actually say it does happen in souls really, cos I don't think it does, it was just that back when I thought it did that was before I learnt that dodge happens on letting the button go.
    All those confused memories from before I realised that are still mixing me up.

Oh how I raged!

Morninglord on
    Honestly, people would bitch a lot less in the souls games if adding a stat gave you a single point of life just like def.

i think this makes a lot of sense; I think it's more fun when your stat choices are more about what style of play you're aiming for, rather than being difficulty traps or necessary aspects of progression

• JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I've got 10,000 echoes and nothing to spend them on.

Since I just started, I think I have to die to the first boss right?

Maybe I buy all the Molotovs and try to cheese him.

if you can pick up a madman's knowledge, you can get an insight point and that'll open up the option of leveling. alternately, go in and try bold hunter's marking out

Elendil wrote: »

if you can pick up a madman's knowledge, you can get an insight point and that'll open up the option of leveling. alternately, go in and try bold hunter's marking out

What are these words and how do I get them?

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

What are these words and how do I get them?

I highly recommend the video in the beginning. I was writing the guide for the new thread until Chrome crashed, but everything you need is in that video.

To unlock leveleling your Insight must be higher than zero. The definition of Insight is deliberately vague. There are four ways to gain Insight.

1. See a boss (you don't have to kill it.)
    2. Kill a boss
    3. Use an item called Madman's Knowledge
    4. See anything significant or messed up. Usually its both.

You can spend Insight to activate multiplayer but you must never let your Insight reach zero or you lose the ability to level up.

Until you unlock leveling up, there are tons of items you can buy in The Hunter's Dream, such as Molotov Cocktails, a beginner's armor set, and additional Blood Vials. But the first armor you find is also one of the best armors in the game and its hidden in the sewers.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    you can still level up with zero insight.

• CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

How is that? I havent heard of this.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    Cantido wrote: »

How is that? I havent heard of this.
    as long as you've unlocked leveling to begin with, you always have the option. if you go back to the dream with no insight, the doll will be inanimate again, but you can still level. if you kill the doll, the next time you return to the dream she'll be alive and introduce herself again.

I think I should just start over and do a literal "run to the first boss" strat.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Pluto, find the sewers, then look for rats. There's a pack of them snacking on a corpse with a Madman's Knowledge. Consume, hit the dream, level. No need to start over.

edited January 2016

i think this makes a lot of sense; I think it's more fun when your stat choices are more about what style of play you're aiming for, rather than being difficulty traps or necessary aspects of progression

more fun sure, but some people like making things harder, which is why I don't honestly think it should be part of the stats system, because all you have to do is just stick a few points in and you keep all those people happy too, and making other people happy too is nice and not much effort. i just said that to make a point.

but yeah, sure, it'd be easier.

Morninglord on
    Houn wrote: »
    Pluto, find the sewers, then look for rats. There's a pack of them snacking on a corpse with a Madman's Knowledge. Consume, hit the dream, level. No need to start over.

But it also seems like I can open the building in the dream if I make it to the first lamp with out dying.

edited January 2016
    I don't know where you got that impression but it is not true. I did this. You still need to find the insight.

There's two of them. One in the sewers, one near a pack of crows.

Morninglord on
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So I knew something weird was going on when I encountered that one enemy in the Forbidden Woods.
    Weird little blue guys

Then I beat Rom.
    Uh, holy shit there is some Cthulu fucking nonsense in this game isn't there?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    So I knew something weird was going on when I encountered that one enemy in the Forbidden Woods.
    Weird little blue guys

Then I beat Rom.
    Uh, holy shit there is some Cthulu fucking nonsense in this game isn't there?

That second statement is more correct than you may realize.

I would suggest you re read all the item descriptions in your inventory.

Today I am sick from work with a terrible sore throat and half my head is on fire.

It's time to finish farming these bloods and beat the first boss of ailing loran for beast claws so I can go kill witch, ludwig and laurence for embrace rune.

This is gonna be pretty hilarious.

For like, the enemies.

"He keeps coming back."
    "I know, its weird. Normally they give up."
    "I think I've killed him at least fifty times. He doesn't really live any longer each time either. You'd think he'd learn."
    "Maybe he's on drugs?"
    "I think he's just an idiot"