As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dishwasher leaves white film on silver/glassware

pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
Hi all,

I recently purchased a new countertop dishwasher because I was getting really freaking tired of washing the dishes myself. Good news is that for the most part, it works great. However, I have hard water, and I'm getting significant white streaks on my silverware and glassware. Fortunately, rinsing those dishes in white vinegar removes the streaks instantaneously. Any ideas for what I can do moving forward to prevent these streaks from happening? I've read mixed reports on whether or not you can put vinegar directly into the rinse aid compartment. Some people swear by it, some people swear at it damaging their dishwasher (FWIW, the manual says to only use branded rinse aids). I purchased a branded rinse aid hoping it would help, no luck. Thoughts?

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I recently purchased a new countertop dishwasher because I was getting really freaking tired of washing the dishes myself. Good news is that for the most part, it works great. However, I have hard water, and I'm getting significant white streaks on my silverware and glassware. Fortunately, rinsing those dishes in white vinegar removes the streaks instantaneously. Any ideas for what I can do moving forward to prevent these streaks from happening? I've read mixed reports on whether or not you can put vinegar directly into the rinse aid compartment. Some people swear by it, some people swear at it damaging their dishwasher (FWIW, the manual says to only use branded rinse aids). I purchased a branded rinse aid hoping it would help, no luck. Thoughts?

hmm Rinse aid should of helped with that. Maybe try a different dishwasher soap, or one of the pods?

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    maybe you're putting a little too much salt in?

Are you in a very hard water area?

• Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    I have extremely hard water. We use Finish brand dishwasher tabs (these I think) and Jet Dry (which apparently makes a hard water specific version, though I haven't tried it). We haven't had any issues with glassware and silverware, so it seems to be working. Plastic stuff still accumulates film though.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    We had the same problem when we used milder detergent. We switched the cascade pods and that helped immenseley

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Your dishwasher's user guide should tell you pretty clearly what to do (e.g., if it's OK to put vinegar in directly). If you don't have it, you can likely just find it online and get an answer straight from the manufacturer.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    pslong9 wrote: »
    Hi all,

none of these things are foolproof and eventually the hard water will destroy your machine.

What you have is lime in the water, and the best solution (and the only one that works reliably for us) is this:
    http://lemishine.com/lemi-shine-detergent-booster/

It will solve your problems completely. We've tried different pods, liquid, powder, jet-dry and other rinse aids... LemiShine is the only thing that works 100% of the time. It'll even remove built-up film on dishes that previously were washed without it.

You toss the pod into the bottom of the dishwasher, put this stuff in the main cup where the dishwashing powder would go, and run the machine as normal.

• Options
    pslong9pslong9 Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the suggestions. I have seen that LemiShine recommended elsewhere, so I'll probably give that a shot next.

steam_sig.png

3DS FC: 0817-3759-2788