As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[sysadmin] I don't even work at your job and I'm already sick of your job.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Fhy Ngt

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Maybe you shouldn't have bought a network card made in R'lyeh?

Edit: That is not dead which can eternal transmit, And with strange aeons even packets may die

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    edit: not chat

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Aioua wrote: »
    vW7z3ef.jpg
    It's interesting that you can sort of tell what is happening if you look at the binary for the ASCII. The fifth bit is stuck as a 0, but only every other letter, I think? Probably not Ngrmad, in any case.

• IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    More in the Ubiquiti saga:

For those of you who saw their tiny shelf mounted firewall and thought "ummmm", they just released a rack mounted version. https://www.ubnt.com/unifi-switching-routing/unifi-security-gateway-pro-4/

It is pretty, I want it.
    usg-pro4-hero-desktop-02.jpg

usg-pro4-hero-desktop-03.jpg

Sorry for the wide images, I am feeling too lazy to re-crop.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    I was king of surprised that we didn't go with Unifi/Ubiquiti stuff with our recent wireless bid.

Apparently they don't scale to our usage levels well, which is a shame. I mean.. yeah, anyone's gonna have trouble covering dorms or the quad when everyone could potentially have 4-5 devices connected to the wireless at once, and a student population of 20k. But I'd think they would have solutions for that.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    no dual power supply = no go.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • IcyLiquidIcyLiquid Two Steaks Montreal, QuebecAdministrator, Vanilla Staff vanilla
    Their enterprise stuff probably not, but I think they have some really stellar carrier grade wifi stuff?

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    Their enterprise stuff probably not, but I think they have some really stellar carrier grade wifi stuff?

They do, at least when I looked a few years ago. Or, at least, they looked pretty. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    You guys have dual power supplies on your routers/switches? Is that a thing?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote: »

I once brought down a pair of very important racks because I bumped a power strip wrong and the fibre channel switch that connected the SAN to the VMs was on it, with no redundancy.

The fact that the power supply was built in and non-redundant always bugged me for such an expensive piece of IBM equipment. I guess in retrospect we could've used a Y-splitter or something (if it was supported), but.. ugh.

Wouldn't go without. Our core router currently only has a single power supply, and that's the only thing we have now that doesn't. When we had to change out UPS's in prep for a building move, we could have done it with zero downtime at all if it wasn't for that core router. We've also had a power supply go on a switch that would have taken about 45 people down had we not had redundancy. Or that one time we talk about less where someone accidentally bumped a power cable on a device and no one noticed for like 3 weeks since redundancy.

Dual power supplies on everything is too nice to give up, and should be a requirement on anything that has a required uptime.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
    I don't think I've ever been in a position where I couldn't go "yeah you will lose internet for 30 minutes".

I don't think I'd want to be in a position where I couldn't say that either.

I don't think I've ever been in a position where I couldn't go "yeah you will lose internet for 30 minutes".

While not perfect, making your power supply as redundant as possible is one of the cheapest ways to shoot towards 99% uptime. If your server supports two power supplies, plug them into different UPS's (ideally on different circuits, but that gets more expensive). Then link both PSUs together so the system knows both are there and can help report on issues.

Athenor wrote: »

While not perfect, making your power supply as redundant as possible is one of the cheapest ways to shoot towards 99% uptime. If your server supports two power supplies, plug them into different UPS's (ideally on different circuits, but that gets more expensive). Then link both PSUs together so the system knows both are there and can help report on issues.

well yeah, servers

not a router or switch, fuck that noise, I ain't no datacenter

well yeah, servers

not a router or switch, fuck that noise, I ain't no datacenter

Here's what I told my uncle when he was asking me for recommendations and I said "UPS".

What good is it if your server stays up but your workstations go down?

Now what good is it if your server stays up and your workstations stay up, but your switches and router go down? Especially if you are a "cloud" based company?

Even a $35 APC UPS goes a long way. Get your entire pipeline on a battery and you'll save your butt from losing data or having hardware die prematurely.

When you have racks on racks on racks having everything redundant is nice.

Or even if you have overly complex user structures.

Sure if all you need to do is send out an email to the 20 people in the office that network will be down for 30 mins after hours no problem.

When it's like, ok I need to replace the power pole on this rack... There are 20 machines and three of them are vm hosts with another 20 vms each. Let's dig through and find the machine owners... Well half of them have old DLs listed as contact... And this one vm host in a legacy pos we inherited and nobody will admit to using the vms but every time one goes down something breaks and we're get yelled at...

You end up spending half a day crafting an outage notice and then someone complains and pushes it up the chain and the vp of dicksucking makes you push it back to the general maintainence window in two months that you know is gonna get postponed, yet again...

That's when you wish you had redundant power supplies.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    Take it off anyways.

Easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Take it off anyways.

I cannot express how much I hate this term. It's why my IT shop is currently hated by most of the university.. and it should not be used as protection for being sloppy or, worse yet, costing money or time.

Take it off anyways.

We do when we can. Ninja decommed so many machines.

But there are plenty of cases where that'd get you shitcanned.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to be part of a business where "hey your internet might be down for 30 minutes" means people lose their fucking minds.

Like I said, I wouldn't want to be part of a business where "hey your internet might be down for 30 minutes" means people lose their fucking minds.

Welcome to any company larger than like, 50 people.

Internet is down the company's down.

edited January 2016
    Those racks I brought down and that SAN/VM environment.. it was for a regional clinic. 13 shops used a server/client (terminal) setup to remote into those VMs. Luckily, LUCKILY, the outage happened at the very end of the day because I wasn't about to touch that environment during normal working hours. But I still caused end of day processing to be delayed quite significantly.

Another job, I was called on-site at 4 AM to help with a downed server. We managed to get it up by 7:30 AM. After the fact, the manager of the place told us that they could have lost out on tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars an hour due to not being able to interact with the stock market.

Then there's the time I worked from 6PM till 8:30 AM to recover the networking/internet of a firewall gone haywire after a full normal day at work.

I always tell my customers, there are 3 vital things that MUST remain functional at all costs: Email, printing, payroll. I'd throw internet in there as well, but the previous 3 pretty much require the internet to be up, so... Those are the lifeblood of the modern office, and my job as an admin is to make sure they are available. Sadly, the people in charge of the purse don't always agree with me, but they aren't held responsible either.

Athenor on

Not really. You could take a hospital's internet down without it affecting like... anything.

I think we are grossly overstating how 'important' a business' internet is to functionality.

LAN? Sure.

Internet? Lol.

Not really. You could take a hospital's internet down without it affecting like... anything.

Every doctor is on your ass because they're waiting for faxes.

(The faxes come through one of those fax over IP solutions because you're not gonna stop support an analog fax like fuck that shit)

Every doctor is on your ass because they're waiting for faxes.

(The faxes come through one of those fax over IP solutions because you're not gonna stop support an analog fax like fuck that shit)

"It'll be down for 30 minutes."

I guess I've got brass balls.

Eh. to each their own. LAN is still the core switch. theoretically your router& modem solution should be nearby, or in a properly racked demarcation point. Again.. not hard to throw a battery on that. And if you are going to go that far, shop around and find equipment that can do redundant power supplies... mostly focusing on the core switch again. :)

I kinda miss playing with that Layer 3 10Gbps switch at the old job... :(

edited January 2016
    I'm not even contesting being on a battery power supply, just never seen any with dual. They must be huge.

bowen on
    First hit is 1U. Doesn't look too bad, but it does look like it is designed for modular, rack-based switches.

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/modules-accessories/rps5412.aspx

I've rebooted a server in the middle of the day during a 'lunch' period because I didn't want to stay until 7 to do it. Whoops, looks like it rebooted itself. It was scheduled to do it during lunch but I was waiting until you were all out. It must've just done it anyways.

First hit is 1U. Doesn't look too bad, but it does look like it is designed for modular, rack-based switches.

http://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/modules-accessories/rps5412.aspx

Ah so this is a specially designed piece of equipment. These switches and firewalls don't actually come with two PSUs inside them.

edited January 2016
    Like I said, first hit. :) But yeah. I've seen that kind of thing before, where you can daisy chain equipment together.

Oh man would 'oops' not fly in my shop. :( Not with how much change and release management is going on. No one trusts us.

Edit: Heh. The amazon page for that RPS calls it a laptop accessory - charger & adapter. That, right there, is overkill.

Athenor on
    Like I said, first hit. :) But yeah. I've seen that kind of thing before, where you can daisy chain equipment together.

Oh man would 'oops' not fly in my shop. :( Not with how much change and release management is going on. No one trusts us.

Yeah I give no fucks, they don't know how it works so I can abuse it like that.

Not like they can stop it once it happens. Then I say "I will research why it happened" and then they forget in a few hours because life is too short to be mad about shit like that.

Not like they can stop it once it happens. Then I say "I will research why it happened" and then they forget in a few hours because life is too short to be mad about shit like that.

And attitudes like this, ladies and gentlemen, is why everyone in the world hates their IT department.

edited January 2016
    wunderbar wrote: »

And attitudes like this, ladies and gentlemen, is why everyone in the world hates their IT department.

Trust me when I say they'll hate you for literally any reason.

Oh you rebooted it at 7:00 pm during a scheduled outage? But I had a fucking important thing I needed to do!
    Oh you came in at 2:00 am? I'm out of the country, I'm bored!

People hate you because your department is a void that sucks up budgets, and because a lot of people are condescending in general.

You're positing they hate IT because, while being 100% nice, they know subtly that I am a dick and am rebooting it on purpose?

Please. People are fucking morons.

bowen on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    With cloud based apps becoming commonplace, not having internet is getting critical.
    The calculation is this:
    How many people are on your network?
    What's the average pay/hour (feel free to totally SWAG this one)?
    How long will it be down?
    So - 20 employees making an average of 40 bucks an hour with a 1 hour outage (because it never comes up like it's supposed to) is 20x40x1 = $800
    50 employees?
    50x40x1 = $2000

Lost productivity adds up quick. Especially when how you get to justify equipment or redundancy is "last year we lost x to downtime, this year we'll lose near 0 if we do this"

edited January 2016
    Yeah but rebooting a server wouldn't affect that.

Rebooting the router/switches maybe takes 5 minutes.

Even if it takes 15 minutes, go take a break.

Like I said, I think we are grossly exaggerating just how bad that is, even in a large company.

bowen on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    Yeah but rebooting a server wouldn't affect that.

Rebooting the router/switches maybe takes 5 minutes.

Even if it takes 15 minutes, go take a break.

Like I said, I think we are grossly exaggerating just how bad that is, even in a large company.

Eh, we've had major network switches die on us and it impacts a lot, as systems within a large company typically talk to each other on a continuing basis and any disruption causes a whole pile of issues and rework.

That's some shitty failover between applications and systems then I guess.

This discussion has been closed.