As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Format was is Over!? $100 HD-DVD player from Toshiba and HD-DVD's for 15 bucks.

13»

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    khain wrote: »
    Yes, but its going to be absurdly expensive in comparison.

Indeed. Walmart wants 40 dollars. Radioshack wants up to 160. For a cable.

Magus` on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Isn't Bluray currently outselling HDDVD a jillion to one?

A deal is not a deal if the format dies.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    I GOT ONE! And yes, no one fucking knew about this. My wife showed up at Walmart at 7:50 and after wandering around the deserted store for 5 mins she was directed to the line in front of the layaway department, of the 25 people in line already 16 of them were there for the laptop. Man I was thinking I would hold off and get the HDDVD add-on for the 360, but how the hell can you argue with $98? (note my HDTV is 720p 1080I so this is perfect for me) I can't wait till I get off work today.

ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Snowcone wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    I have a DVI input and a DVI cable and no HDMI input. WHAT DO I NEED TO REMEDY THIS?!

HDMI to DVI adapter:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

Also, are you sure this is the RIGHT one? As in, all this male to female shit is confusing me.

Magus` on
  • Options
    ElderCatElderCat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    ElderCat on
    IWBRLjC.png
  • Options
    khainkhain Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Snowcone wrote: »
    I have a DVI input and a DVI cable and no HDMI input. WHAT DO I NEED TO REMEDY THIS?!

HDMI to DVI adapter:
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10419&cs_id=1041902&p_id=2029&seq=1&format=2

Also, are you sure this is the RIGHT one? As in, all this male to female shit is confusing me.

Your using the HDMI out of the HD-DVD player, a DVI Cable and a DVI Input to your TV? If so you need the opposite of the one linked, as in DVI Female to HDMI Male.

khain on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes. It'd be HD-DVD Player <HDMI <---> DVI> TV

Magus` on
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, here's my fun story from the $98 HD-DVD purchase. At walmart, in one of those *'d states. Display says $185 so I'm a little disappointed so just buy one (was going to get 2 for xmas gifts). Well, it rings up as $98.xx anyway so I ask for two. Well this dipshit employee starts going on about how it's illegal to sell it that way and ends up getting the lady to void my transaction even with other people in my line saying things like, and I quote, "so go somewhere else jackass."

So what do I do? What any good customer does, wait until another customer has him tied up with questions, grab two boxes and wander up front to check out properly by someone that doesn't fucking care what I'm buying.

Edit: to clarify, said employee wasn't complaining about me buying 2, just the price I was paying. For the below comment.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It was limited to one per customer. You broke store policy. Bravo

Magus` on
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So I got this. I got there at 805 this morning and there were already 50+ ppl in line. I was worried they were gonna sell out before I got mine but apparently most ppl wanted the TV or the laptop.

Problem is I didn't really like the selection of $15 HD-DVDs. Plus I never really buy DVDs. I rent cos I'm a cheapass. (I still might return this, since I dunno if its worth $100 for such a limited selection of movies). So I wanna know what is the best HD-DVD out. What is the showcase title in picture quality and awesome next-gen features? Right now the top of my queue has Babel, 12 Monkeys, Aeon Flux, Assault on Precinct 13, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blazing Saddles, Transformers, and A Clockwork Orange (in that order). Any suggestions?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited November 2007
    "The Hulk" is visually breathtaking, though many folks hate the film in general.

King Kong looks pretty great.

Hot Fuzz was an aural masterpiece in HD.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »
    So I got this. I got there at 805 this morning and there were already 50+ ppl in line. I was worried they were gonna sell out before I got mine but apparently most ppl wanted the TV or the laptop.

Problem is I didn't really like the selection of $15 HD-DVDs. Plus I never really buy DVDs. I rent cos I'm a cheapass. (I still might return this, since I dunno if its worth $100 for such a limited selection of movies). So I wanna know what is the best HD-DVD out. What is the showcase title in picture quality and awesome next-gen features? Right now the top of my queue has Babel, 12 Monkeys, Aeon Flux, Assault on Precinct 13, 2001: A Space Odyssey, Blazing Saddles, Transformers, and A Clockwork Orange (in that order). Any suggestions?

Honestly, if you want breathtaking picture? Planet Earth, the british version. Hands down better than any hollywood movie period.

I think Transformers looks great as well, don't have any older movie transfers yet.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

Pretty much, yeah. This sale right here is Toshiba being desperate.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A point I was trying to make in a different thread about this in the real G&T forum is that it does not matter in the slightest what the the price of the HD media players is, when the price of the televisions themselves are still completely out of the range of normal people's budgets. Nobody is going to spend at least$500 on a TV when that figure represents a sizable fraction of their yearly disposable income. $5000 or $50, it doesn't matter what the price of the player is, we're still talking about an incredibly niche market.

Interesting info I have found about this:

Only 7% of households that make less than $50,000 a year have an HDTV (personally I consider anyone making $50k a year filthy rich)
    The mean income of HDTV owners is 42% above average

nielsen-hdtv-us-household-estimates-november-2007.jpg

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    DesertBoxDesertBox Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/blu-ray-outsell.html

Way to fanboy it up. 2 != a jillion. But yea, Blu-ray is winning. Not that I care since each seems to have the same number of movies I'm interested in. Also, each is selling ~0 compared to DVD. A 2 to 1 advantage in a miniscule market isn't that big a deal, imo. This format war seems like its going to last a while and $100 is the most I am willing to pay for a piece of hardware that might become obsolete. However, I'm craving more HD movie goodness than what broadcast TV is currently offering.
    A point I was trying to make in a different thread about this in the real G&T forum is that it does not matter in the slightest what the the price of the HD media players is, when the price of the televisions themselves are still completely out of the range of normal people's budgets. Nobody is going to spend at least$500 on a TV when that figure represents a sizable fraction of their yearly disposable income. $5000 or $50, it doesn't matter what the price of the player is, we're still talking about an incredibly niche market.

Is this a fact you can back up with actual figures or is it just your own personal opinion/observation? cos when I walk into any store and see that every single tv over 27" is an HDTV, it gives me the opinion that they're pretty popular, unless the hot new business strategy is to fill up shelf space with things that don't sell.

EDIT: Looking at your chart I don't see how you can call 14 - 20% a niche market?

DesertBox on
  • Options
    Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DesertBox wrote: »

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/10/blu-ray-outsell.html

Way to fanboy it up. 2 != a jillion. But yea, Blu-ray is winning. Not that I care since each seems to have the same number of movies I'm interested in. Also, each is selling ~0 compared to DVD. A 2 to 1 advantage in a miniscule market isn't that big a deal, imo. This format war seems like its going to last a while and $100 is the most I am willing to pay for a piece of hardware that might become obsolete. However, I'm craving more HD movie goodness than what broadcast TV is currently offering.

Is this a fact you can back up with actual figures or is it just your own personal opinion/observation? cos when I walk into any store and see that every single tv over 27" is an HDTV, it gives me the opinion that they're pretty popular, unless the hot new business strategy is to fill up shelf space with things that don't sell.

EDIT: Looking at your chart I don't see how you can call 14 - 20% a niche market?

It is. First of all that's 15% of the people who own TVs at all. And secondly 15% is pretty tiny. The PS3 has a bigger market share than that. I think the 7% of people who make <$50k/y exemplifies the point I was really trying to make. The average income is something like $30k/y. I make $16k/y. You see where I'm going with this?

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

unfortunately, it's not that cut and dry :(

http://www.tech.co.uk/home-entertainment/video/dvd-hdd-players-and-receivers/blu-ray-and-hd-dvd/news/hd-dvd-movies-outsell-blu-ray-by-7-to-1?articleid=880721756

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It wasn't limited to one person at the Wal-Mart I went to. I saw a few people leaving with two or three and I was tempted to buy another one for a friend.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited November 2007
    Trying to reduce clutter here.
    This thread is all about the Format War
    and this one is all about Black Friday and other tech-related deals.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

This discussion has been closed.