As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Massive Chalice] Double Fine Productions' version of fantasy XCOM

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I started a new playthrough and it's gone pretty well. Year 150 and my regents are all level 5-7 now, with Mostly decent traits. And four relics! (including the Backer, which is an alchemist relic this playthrough). Still no Caberjack relics though. Got a lot of the weapon research done.

However, 150 is the point where advanced Cadence start showing up and triple attacks become a thing, so I'm sure I've got some beatdowns coming.

One of my random houses is named 'Beer'. Their motto? "Yes, like the drink." Their battle cry is "I go down smooth".

They are remarkably good archers

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    My last game I had three caberjack relics and nothing else until year 270 or so, when I picked up an alchemist relic. I had been holding off on cadence weapon tech, because I know they don't become relics, but near the end of the game I got one or those bulwark crossbows for the final mission, and damn, my hunter cleaned house with that thing.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    My last game I had three caberjack relics and nothing else until year 270 or so, when I picked up an alchemist relic. I had been holding off on cadence weapon tech, because I know they don't become relics, but near the end of the game I got one or those bulwark crossbows for the final mission, and damn, my hunter cleaned house with that thing.

I tried the Bulkwark crossbow once and then never again. The piercing effect is nice, but the damage loss was so significant that I couldn't justify it. Maybe its changed since then.

I may go ahead and research the ramcap caber if I don't get a caberjack relic soon, just so I have something powerful for the late game.

MuddBudd on
  • Options
    MuddBudd wrote: »

I tried the Bulkwark crossbow once and then never again. The piercing effect is nice, but the damage loss was so significant that I couldn't justify it. Maybe its changed since then.

I was doing comparable damage to my normal crossbows... the normal crossbow has a damage range of 3-6 and the bulwark bow is 2-6, but it can hit multiple targets.

• Options

I was doing comparable damage to my normal crossbows... the normal crossbow has a damage range of 3-6 and the bulwark bow is 2-6, but it can hit multiple targets.

IIRC (this was during the beta last year), that difference gets more pronounced as you get higher level heroes. At level 6-7 my archers are doing upwards of 17 dmg a hit with their relics. I've seen up to 40 dmg on things with less than half health. (triggers a damage bonus for my hunters). I remember the Bone Barb dropping damage by double digits when I tried it.

I may have to experiment with it again at some point.

• Options

IIRC (this was during the beta last year), that difference gets more pronounced as you get higher level heroes. At level 6-7 my archers are doing upwards of 17 dmg a hit with their relics. I've seen up to 40 dmg on things with less than half health. (triggers a damage bonus for my hunters). I remember the Bone Barb dropping damage by double digits when I tried it.

I may have to experiment with it again at some point.

I had such trouble keeping Hunters alive in my last game; turned out that the Cradle shotgun crossbow is not a good way to keep your ranged squishies out of danger. So I don't have a great point of reference there.

I can say that I desperately love Brewtalists. Those guys can dish it out. My main Alchemist strategy was putting them in Unstable Armor and giving them Sponge Stones. One Alchemist can face-tank basically any number of Seeds with this strategy, and a Brewtalist can actually kill bigger stuff without using flasks.

• Options
    Also remember, brewtalist knockback flask is great. If you can knock a Cadence into a wall they take extra damage AND are stunned.

• Options
    Also remember, brewtalist knockback flask is great. If you can knock a Cadence into a wall they take extra damage AND are stunned.

Although nothing beats Caberjack pool. Nothing like stunning 3-4 Cadence with one charge.

• Options
    This reminds me, I really haven't played with many of the held items. I should experiment more.

• Options
    My usual takedown strategy is try to murder the ranged enemies and wrinklers with my hunters, use my caberjacks to smack down any biggies left standing, and the alchemists sweep up the groups of smaller things.

This Sponge Stone idea is intriguing.

• Options
    My usual takedown strategy is try to murder the ranged enemies and wrinklers with my hunters, use my caberjacks to smack down any biggies left standing, and the alchemists sweep up the groups of smaller things.

I try to get two item slots on my Alchemists, because nothing beats having a Health Vial or Ultralixer in addition to the Sponge Stone. The damage done by Unstable Armor counts towards Sponge Stone regeneration, so Seeds and Advanced Seeds simply can't do enough damage to overcome the healing, and the more Seeds are on you, the more damage the entire crowd takes. The only problem arises when Cradles decide to bomb you instead of crapping out mooks.

Of course, you gotta be very careful not to position your Unstable Armor-clad Alchemists next to your teammates. I've had plenty of embarrassments when I had two alchemists standing next to each other and toast one another with their armor when one gets hit by a Lapse. Or then there's the one where the Alchemist runs into a Rupture pool to Health Vial an injured Hunter, only to kill her because he took damage from the pool and his armor exploded her face.

• Options

I try to get two item slots on my Alchemists, because nothing beats having a Health Vial or Ultralixer in addition to the Sponge Stone. The damage done by Unstable Armor counts towards Sponge Stone regeneration, so Seeds and Advanced Seeds simply can't do enough damage to overcome the healing, and the more Seeds are on you, the more damage the entire crowd takes. The only problem arises when Cradles decide to bomb you instead of crapping out mooks.

Of course, you gotta be very careful not to position your Unstable Armor-clad Alchemists next to your teammates. I've had plenty of embarrassments when I had two alchemists standing next to each other and toast one another with their armor when one gets hit by a Lapse. Or then there's the one where the Alchemist runs into a Rupture pool to Health Vial an injured Hunter, only to kill her because he took damage from the pool and his armor exploded her face.

I used to be all about the two items, although the bonus range/accuracy talent is extremely powerful and I have been playing with it lately.

If wrinklers are around, I have to have wunderpants, at least until my teams are strong enough to kill them before they can age someone.

I do try to keep one or two people with double items/elixirs, for emergency use.

• Options
    After 10 Cradle kills, you can unlock a nationwide fertility boost. This is new to me.

I like it.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    After 10 Cradle kills, you can unlock a nationwide fertility boost. This is new to me.

I like it.

I didn't even notice that until year 250 or so. At that point it was, of course, mostly too late.

EDIT: Although, for a good 100+ years I had Standards in my Crucible that granted the "Insatiable" trait, as well as breeding for "Bountiful," and I had a keep on the +Fertility land, so I was mostly doing okay on the boinking front...

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    There's a longevity boost too, and XP. I think they might be tied to killing the 'Advanced' versions of cadence.

I'll take what I can get. I'm at year 250 or so now and somehow low on female heroes, just barely squeaking by on at least one of my bloodlines. More fertility means more chances for successful pairings to get me to the final battle. A late game recruitment burst did get me a decent batch of lvl 8s to keep things going though. (super glad I invested in recruitment boost early, I had to use it a lot early game to get my keeps running)

I have been shoving experience scarves on my heroes whenever I can as well, they're a moderate boost. I am not sure I'll hit lvl 10 on them by the time 300 rolls around. Due to some weird timing most of the new folks are still starting at lvl 7-8.

Also, tried the sponge stone thing, works really well!
    EDIT: Although, for a good 100+ years I had Standards in my Crucible that granted the "Insatiable" trait, as well as breeding for "Bountiful," and I had a keep on the +Fertility land, so I was mostly doing okay on the boinking front...

I've gotten lucky and my last few Standards have passed along 'Pessimistic' (better accuracy than displayed) to a lot of folks.

• Options
    I'm not sure that pessimism actually gives you better accuracy... It reads like it only affects the HUD when targetting. Optimists & pessimists seem to have the same chance to hit.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    I love brewtalists. The hack and slash with a relic is doing a shit ton of damage

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm not sure that pessimism actually gives you better accuracy... It reads like it only affects the HUD when targetting. Optimists & pessimists seem to have the same chance to hit.

This is how it works, as far as I'm aware. Tranquil and Nervous are the traits that actually affect accuracy.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    PhaserlightPhaserlight Boca Raton, FLRegistered User regular
    Starting up another Hard Iron run...

Let's do this, people! Go forth and procreate; be fruitful and multiply!

Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online
  • Options

This is how it works, as far as I'm aware. Tranquil and Nervous are the traits that actually affect accuracy.

Well, then at least it's not passing along anything bad.

• Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    I love brewtalists. The hack and slash with a relic is doing a shit ton of damage

Probably my favorite single class. Ranged AOE CC with the knockback flasks, tons of damage with the hack'n'slash. Very strong, especially early.

• Options
    Bah, made it to the final battle and BOTH of my hunter relics were tied up. One in a particularly long lived regent, the other on a Standard who gotten lost when the Cadence subsumed the Crucible.

Dangit.

Oh well, everyone at the final battle is lvl 10 just in time.

• Options
    Beat the final battle. Haven't done that since before release so things were a bit different.

Started a new game in normal to work on some of the achievements... and one of my starting Vanguard, the one with the relic, is named Brad Muir.

Like, the lead game designer Brad Muir.

• Options
    Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I just started this game yesterday. I'm about 150 years in. I find that i really don't give much of a shit about any of my characters, since i only get them for a few missions tops. Other than that it's super good. Hunters might be a little OP, but in my game the Trickshot house is full of drunks so it balances out.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I find that I don't care about individual characters (excepting extreme circumstances), but I do care about houses and lines.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I care about relics. When a line dies out and there's nobody to give a relic to... THAT is a tragedy.

• Options
    I just started this game yesterday. I'm about 150 years in. I find that i really don't give much of a shit about any of my characters, since i only get them for a few missions tops. Other than that it's super good. Hunters might be a little OP, but in my game the Trickshot house is full of drunks so it balances out.

Get ready for a big difficulty step; you'll need every OP unit you can get. On my first play-through the first 150 years were relatively breezy, and then... wham! That's right about when the advanced cadence units begin showing up and they begin attacking three territories at a time, iirc. I barely made it to the end with some strong bloodlines, but I didn't understand the best strategy to pursue out of the gate during the final battle which resulted in a loss.

• Options
    Ah, I'm up to just over 200 years now.

The advanced cradles one shotting my caberjacks was a surprise. They got a huge upgrade over the basic cradle, that i just sort of took out at my leisure. Also, apparently my hunter regent died and it either didnt notify me or it cancelled out, but i went several years without making archer babies. Might be a problem now that the advanced exploder guys (ruptures?) are everywhere.

At least i've yet to lose an entire territory to the cadence.

Steam
  • Options
    anyone have good item recommendations? Right now i only run with health potions (the 25 hp ones) and experience scarves. It looks like there are a ton of options in the research list that might be fun to play with though, but man do health pots seems essential

Steam
  • Options
    anyone have good item recommendations? Right now i only run with health potions (the 25 hp ones) and experience scarves. It looks like there are a ton of options in the research list that might be fun to play with though, but man do health pots seems essential

I researched Sponge Stones early on in my first run, and they turned into an all but indispensable item for most of my heroes, especially when combined with things like Bulwark armor (sp?) or Unstable Carapace armor.

I was thinking of researching Experience Scarves early this time instead, for something different. The current build order I am considering is (bold indicates already completed): Keep > Keep > Crucible > Keep > Sagewright Guild > Experience Scarves

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Why put the crucible ahead of the sagewright guild, if you don't mind me asking? Mostly because i don't really understand how crucible works, I only use it to try to spread patriotism as much as I can.

Edit: I do like doing experience scarves early because i didn't really need the health pots for the first half of the game

Zombie Hero on
    Steam
  • Options
    Why put the crucible ahead of the sagewright guild, if you don't mind me asking? Mostly because i don't really understand how crucible works, I only use it to try to spread patriotism as much as I can.

Edit: I do like doing experience scarves early because i didn't really need the health pots for the first half of the game

So my heroes can continue leveling up even while they are not in battle.

Playing on hard (iron) mode, I realized how weak my lvl 1 and 2 heroes actually are; my first battle was a squad wipe versus seeds and lapses... the lapses would sometimes one-shot my poor newbs. After that, I seemed to hit my stride and have been playing far more conservatively: sending scouting parties ahead and luring seeds and ruptures back to my murder-death-kill ambush killzones or setting them up ahead of time for lapses.

I basically need higher level heroes, fast.

• Options
    Crucible is great, plus you can possibly pass on awesome traits to whole generations of heroes.

My preferred item (aside from potions), is the wunderpants. Especially when advanced cadence start getting involved. Not losing experience or age is huge. It also seems to reduce the melee damage from Wrinklers.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    The advanced cradles one shotting my caberjacks was a surprise.

Ah yes, that's what I learned to call Cradle 2: The Grave.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    Ah, I'm up to just over 200 years now.

The advanced cradles one shotting my caberjacks was a surprise. They got a huge upgrade over the basic cradle, that i just sort of took out at my leisure. Also, apparently my hunter regent died and it either didnt notify me or it cancelled out, but i went several years without making archer babies. Might be a problem now that the advanced exploder guys (ruptures?) are everywhere.

At least i've yet to lose an entire territory to the cadence.

advanced cradles? heh it's the advanced twitchers you have to worry about. I got chain stunned so many times by those assholes. And you can't stun them either...

• Options
    FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    I don't know if I'm just not grasping something key here, but there's just no winning for me later on in this game. I'm a pretty damn good TBS player (like one of two or three things I'm good at ;() and I just get fucked up every game. It's not even close. I just get obliterated.

Are you the magic man?
  • Options
    Frei wrote: »
    I don't know if I'm just not grasping something key here, but there's just no winning for me later on in this game. I'm a pretty damn good TBS player (like one of two or three things I'm good at ;() and I just get fucked up every game. It's not even close. I just get obliterated.

What, exactly, is killing you? What difficuly are you on? Are you making sure that the strategic layer is being handled, and you're not fielding teams of blind paraplegics?

• Options
    Well, I answered wrong on one of the random events and now all of my heroes have decreased fertility. Seems like a harsh penalty. Also, my hunter house stopped telling me when my regent died, so i have to pause the time every once in awhile to check to see if they are still breeding. I think it ruined my run because i dont have any archers and the final battle is about to approach.

Steam
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    I haven't managed to beat the game yet. But on this play-through I picked up the stealth suit for my hunters.

and wow. being able to move freely across the map is just the most exhilarating thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I haven't managed to beat the game yet. But on this play-through I picked up the stealth suit for my hunters.

and wow. being able to move freely across the map is just the most exhilarating thing.

YUP.

Stealth scouting the best route to encounters is critical for me. Once I get veil armor, it goes on all my hunters up until the final battle (stealth is kind of useless there).

Remember to equip it onto regents and standards and sagewrights too! Often when a place is invaded, Cadence will beeline right for the throne, having your regent be able to stealth means you can keep them safe until your heroes get to them.