As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• MagthidonMagthidon Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Sorry, I should update that section. it's not a paper ticket with a barcode anymore! That's definitely outdated.

You would bring a printout of your confirmation email to Will Call, or your confirmation email on a mobile device so you can show it to the will call staff if necessary. You will also still need a photo ID that matches the name that purchased the passes.

I am trying to find out the cutoff date now.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I know I ordered my tickets on December 11th. I think last year it was December 1st?

• nbs2nbs2 Registered User regular
    Anybody know when the 2016 guidebook should drop? When I called about the CC policy (the prop ban extends to licensed carrying as well), they it it is released two to three weeks before PAX. Didn't see it this morning.

• 52max52max Registered User regular
    nbs2 wrote: »
    Anybody know when the 2016 guidebook should drop? When I called about the CC policy (the prop ban extends to licensed carrying as well), they it it is released two to three weeks before PAX. Didn't see it this morning.

There is a separate app for PAX South. I downloaded it the other day and it is updated.
    https://guidebook.com/app/PAXSouth/

• nbs2nbs2 Registered User regular
    Excellent. Now to calendar my plans for the weekend!

• ChromeDemonxXxChromeDemonxXx Registered User new member
    So, I'm going up to PAX early Friday morning, instead of Thursday like most people, due to money problems and such. I have my hotel booked from the 29th to the 31st, but the only thing I'm concerned with is the check in. Do most hotels allow early check in? Because I don't want to have to leave pax around 3 just to go check in.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    You can call them and ask if they can do early check in the day before or that morning. If not, though, almost all hotels will hold your bags for you if you are checking in later that day.

• ButterfiendButterfiend Registered User new member
    How does entering the tournaments at PAX south work? Do you just show up or is there a sign up process?

edited January 2016
    Tournaments (top)

When do I sign up for tournaments?
    Tournament registration is either Friday or Day of the tourney. Look out for each departments Tournament thread for specific information when it gets close to PAX. If there's no thread for the tournament type you are interested in, head to that department asap when you get to pax to get the information! Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.
    Hint! Follow http://twitter.com/PAX_tourney for more tournament information!

Will x tournament or event be happening at PAX?
    Possibly, announcements will be made about 3-4 weeks prior to PAX. Keep an eye on the forums for details! each department that does tournaments will usually make its own post about said tournaments and their rules.

zerzhul on
  • ZakkyZakky Registered User regular
    I haven't seen any information about Magic the Gathering for PAX South. Last year Wizards had a presence and the Ugin pin was available. Is anyone going to be running magic tournaments and if so, can you point me to the schedule?

Thanks!

There's nothing on the official Wizards of the Coast MtG calendar, and I have heard nothing about it. To get a final answer on it, you'd have to ask Wizards.

• ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    Zakky wrote: »
    I haven't seen any information about Magic the Gathering for PAX South. Last year Wizards had a presence and the Ugin pin was available. Is anyone going to be running magic tournaments and if so, can you point me to the schedule?

Thanks!

No Wizards of the Coast this year (disappointing) and Cascade Games will be running the Magic tournament at South. You can find their post about it here: http://blog.cascadegames.com/pax-south-2016/

B2YfFSb.png
  • volta1revolta1re Registered User new member
    ahstoddard wrote: »
    Zakky wrote: »

Thanks!

No Wizards of the Coast this year (disappointing) and Cascade Games will be running the Magic tournament at South. You can find their post about it here: http://blog.cascadegames.com/pax-south-2016/

We can still bring our decks into the tabletop area and play casual right?

of course!

• SchmoeSchmoe CanadaRegistered User regular
    Is there not a Guidebook thing for PAX South? I got the app mentioned above on my tablet and it's great but I'd like it for my BlackBerry as well since its battery lasts longer than 5 minutes (stupid tablet *grr grr huff puff*). I have Guidebook but can't for the life of me find a PAX South listing for 2016 (just 2015).

I'm also wondering about the 13+ I see listed for some panels. Is that a guideline for parents or is anyone under 13 banned from attending those panels? I have a 6 year old who I obviously can't leave alone and who would probably enjoy a couple she couldn't attend. I don't care about swearing or video game violence. She's fine with that stuff.

Thanks!

They released it as a separate app that is just a skinned guidebook

https://guidebook.com/app/PAXSouth/

• JH64JH64 Registered User new member
    I looked at the exhibitor list, and it's virtually nothing like East or Prime. Are badge refunds an option?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Quoth the registration page:
    NO exchanges or refunds.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    An update for those who are wondering about the badge mailing cutoff. The cutoff date was January 8th. If you purchased (like on or) after this date, you will need to pick up your badges at PAX using the photo ID of the person who purchased the badges, and your confirmation.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Schmoe wrote: »
    I'm also wondering about the 13+ I see listed for some panels. Is that a guideline for parents or is anyone under 13 banned from attending those panels? I have a 6 year old who I obviously can't leave alone and who would probably enjoy a couple she couldn't attend. I don't care about swearing or video game violence. She's fine with that stuff.
    In general we do not check ID's for panels. These are guidelines for parents\guardians.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • MidanMidan Registered User regular
    Will there be a coat and bag check in this year? I know there was one last year but I do not see one on the map this year. But honestly I don't know if it was on the map last year or not.

I don't remember it being on the map last year, but I could be wrong.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    It was not. Guidebook didn't have any maps of level 0 because we weren't officially there. I only learned of it mid-day Friday.

• avawhat231avawhat231 Registered User new member
    How fo I sign up for the PC Tournaments on Saturday (If you have to)? And for the rocket league is there like a team member minimum or what?

avawhat231 wrote: »
    How fo I sign up for the PC Tournaments on Saturday (If you have to)? And for the rocket league is there like a team member minimum or what?

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/33342685/#Comment_33342685

There should be a Looking for Team pool for those who are by themselves.

• MagthidonMagthidon Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    An update for those who are wondering about the badge mailing cutoff. The cutoff date was January 8th. If you purchased (like on or) after this date, you will need to pick up your badges at PAX using the photo ID of the person who purchased the badges, and your confirmation.

Mine arrived in the mail! I am ready!

Magthidon on
  • japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Midan wrote: »
    Will there be a coat and bag check in this year?

Just a reminder for our frozen travelers, make sure to check the weather forecast before you go. The weather here does change dramatically, but right now we are expecting mid-80's temps during South with a very light chance of rain. A "cold" day for us this time of year is around 60 degrees. LOL. So a windbreaker is all you'll need during the day, if that. Maybe one extra layer in the evenings, as temps can drop to the 40's if you are out past midnight. Save your suitcase space and leave the bulky jackets at home.

Ironically, the convention center is probably the coldest space you'll encounter. At other events, they've kept the facility positively frigid. I have had to loan scarves and such to guests who packed for the outdoor weather and were stuck greeting fans in chilly indoor conditions. Want to be fondly remembered by someone who's work you enjoy? Loan them a comfy scarf when they are shivering!

• shimwoodshimwood Registered User regular
    japester wrote: »
    Midan wrote: »
    Will there be a coat and bag check in this year?

Just a reminder for our frozen travelers, make sure to check the weather forecast before you go. The weather here does change dramatically, but right now we are expecting mid-80's temps during South with a very light chance of rain. A "cold" day for us this time of year is around 60 degrees. LOL. So a windbreaker is all you'll need during the day, if that. Maybe one extra layer in the evenings, as temps can drop to the 40's if you are out past midnight. Save your suitcase space and leave the bulky jackets at home.

Ironically, the convention center is probably the coldest space you'll encounter. At other events, they've kept the facility positively frigid. I have had to loan scarves and such to guests who packed for the outdoor weather and were stuck greeting fans in chilly indoor conditions. Want to be fondly remembered by someone who's work you enjoy? Loan them a comfy scarf when they are shivering!

This is one of the reasons I'm glad I'm driving down. I can just leave my coat in my car and grab it as needed. I'll probably bring my mc chris hoodie to the convention center for late night panels/events.

khd33hubozxv.png
  • kfitz7789kfitz7789 Registered User new member
    How early can you pick up your tickets from Will Call? And where will it be located?

edited January 2016
    Will Call should be open by late afternoon Thursday (~2-3).

edit: Just found out Registration has moved. It is now in the Gallery room of the Henry B, a bit further west than the location indicated on the above map, near the corner of Alamo and Market.

whypick1 on
  • DoctorbatmanDoctorbatman Registered User regular
    Any word on why Rooster Teeth's panel is on the website schedule and not the app schedule? I'd like to think it's an oversight, but Lazer Team IS opening that Wednesday so I wouldn't be surprised if they had to back out.

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Any word on why Rooster Teeth's panel is on the website schedule and not the app schedule? I'd like to think it's an oversight, but Lazer Team IS opening that Wednesday so I wouldn't be surprised if they had to back out.

Its happening, just has not propagated to the Guidebook yet. Should be there over the next few days.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    FYI - concerts were showing up on the artist page on the website, but not in the schedule or guidebook. It has been updated now.

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

They also mentioned on the Podcast they will be there, but none of the big names are going because of Lazer Team/RTX Aus.

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
  • TSoul19TSoul19 twitch.tv/soulygamingRegistered User regular
    Does anyone know what time they are going to open the door to the Convention Center to start letting people line up? Last year I showed up about 1.5 hours before the Floor open and there where a lot of people at the Merch Booth and in Line for the Floor! Anyone know?

TSoul19 wrote: »
    Does anyone know what time they are going to open the door to the Convention Center to start letting people line up? Last year I showed up about 1.5 hours before the Floor open and there where a lot of people at the Merch Booth and in Line for the Floor! Anyone know?
    8am is the usual time that the doors open for the convention center at a PAX

• jkray622jkray622 Registered User new member
    Where can we find a list of artists who are attending?

If you're looking for something like an Artists' Alley, PAX does not have one of those. The closest is Bandland, which is where the concert performers and a couple other groups (like LRR) hang out and sell their wares.

• talamandertalamander Registered User regular
    Tournaments (top)

When do I sign up for tournaments?
    Tournament registration is Friday or Day of. Look out for each departments Tournament thread for specific information when it gets close to PAX. If there's no thread for the tournament type you are interested in, head to that department asap when you get to pax to get the information! Get there early, most tournaments fill up within an hour or two of PAX opening.
    Hint! Follow http://twitter.com/PAX_tourney for more tournament information!

Will x tournament or event be happening at PAX?
    Possibly, announcements will be made about 3-4 weeks prior to PAX. Keep an eye on the forums for details! each department that does tournaments will usually make its own post about said tournaments and their rules.

What is the Omegathon?
    The Omegathon is a grueling test of "skill" in which 20 randomly selected pre-registered attendees will battle for an amazing prize, last year, this prize was a trip to a PAX of their choice. They mostly make them play crazy games like Mario Kart, Bananagrams, and Operation for their amusement. If you are not selected to be an Omeganaut, it's still a lot of fun watching and enjoying their torment!

How do I become an Omeganaut?
    As of the last couple paxes, those who are eligible to opt-in for the Omegathon get an email with opt-in instructions. Then you just have to hope you are one of the lucky people to get a call from Penny Arcade saying you are in. Please NOTE: if you do not get a phone call from a Penny Arcade employee asking you to be an Omeganaut, then you are not an Omeganaut. There are only 20 for PAX South!

So for the "Rocket League" PC Tournament? Where would I go?

PC area on Saturday.

• AngrypastaAngrypasta Registered User regular
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but what is the best/cheapest way to get from the San Antonio airport to the downtown area?

This discussion has been closed.