As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pre-PAX Game night 2016 @ Geekdom (1/28/2016 @ 7PM)

• AerikanAerikan Game Design Manager Wellington NZRegistered User regular
    7pm official start at event center, 131 E soledad. We'll do our best to arrange space to accommodate. We can spill over into the back rooms as well as needed.

https://www.facebook.com/events/154111618279404/

• DrunkVikingDrunkViking Registered User regular
    I'm with Pendelhaven and we can gladly run some Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok and/or Gulveig, or just as gladly discover some other indie games. Let me know what works. I also pinged you on the FB page.

"Praise day at even, a wife when dead, a weapon when tried, a maid when married, ice when 'tis crossed, and ale when 'tis drunk." - Havamal
  • mgnademgnade DelawareRegistered User regular
    Hey, I've got my own game that just made it through Kickstarter as well. If we run into each other it'd be awesome to talk about Kickstartering and game production and all that good stuff, maybe even a game trade.
    - that would be awesome. I'm adding the event to my calendar and plan on being there so hopefully we run into one another.

We absolutely want as many local game shops and exhibitors to bring their games as possible. I'll also explicitly make time during the night for every company to announce themselves and give a quick pitch!

mgnade wrote: »
    Hey, I've got my own game that just made it through Kickstarter as well. If we run into each other it'd be awesome to talk about Kickstartering and game production and all that good stuff, maybe even a game trade.
    - that would be awesome. I'm adding the event to my calendar and plan on being there so hopefully we run into one another.

I'm down with talking shop as well. We have 9 Kickstarters under our belt for RPGs and card games... so I'll gladly answer any questions. We're also gearing up for our very first board game later this year, so we'll be eager to get any BG related printing tips.

"Praise day at even, a wife when dead, a weapon when tried, a maid when married, ice when 'tis crossed, and ale when 'tis drunk." - Havamal
  • mgnademgnade DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I got a lot of tips from some other tabletop Megaboothers so I would love to chat. I'll be coming straight from the airport with Brass Empire prototypes in hand.

mod edit: removed link

zerzhul on
  • s3prototypes3prototype Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Name of the post and the first post contains event info.

Anyone that is bringing their game to show case, send me a PM with info and I'll add it to the first post.

• StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So what I get from reading the first post is bring CaH and several 6packs is that correct :)

StinkyTurd on
  • Deaths CrowbarDeaths Crowbar That guy that does the Things "East Bound and Down" AKA TexarkanaRegistered User regular
    I plan on bringing some games to play CAH, Exploding Kittens, Munchkin, aboss Monster, and Dragonwood just do y'all know. You can never have too many copies of CAH at Pax

I'll be bringing Superfight (with expansions:anime, adult, nerd and walking dead packs), Red Flags (like superfight,but dating), Exploding Kittens (vanilla and NSFW deck), Bucket of Doom, and Cards Against Humanity Bigger Blacker Box.

Im bringing along my Vita and 3DS for anyone that wants to play too.

I'll bring several co-op games such as Shadows Over Camelot and The Captain is Dead, as well as Dominion.

Hopefully will know on beer soon as well.

We'll be featuring games made by exhibitors and locals, too. Not a marketing event but we want to make sure people see the hard working indies there.

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    I may be bringing the Kickstarter edition of Ghostbusters. As long as it fits comfortably in my suitcase.

I also haven't had a chance to play it yet so it would be cool to break it in at PAX.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Delacroix01Delacroix01 Registered User regular
    This may sound like a odd questions here.

Are newbies welcomed? I love table tops unfortunately I don't have many friends that play them, so I haven't experienced many. Would I still be able to come and perhaps join a game?

• Deaths CrowbarDeaths Crowbar That guy that does the Things "East Bound and Down" AKA TexarkanaRegistered User regular

Are newbies welcomed? I love table tops unfortunately I don't have many friends that play them, so I haven't experienced many. Would I still be able to come and perhaps join a game?

Dude anyone that wants to play is generally welcome

Of course you're welcome. Come find me and I'll break the ice and get you in a game. :)
    tweet me if you have twitter @s3prototype when you get there!)

I'm a major tabletop newbie but as I'll come bearing beer I suspect that was my be an issue :) plus I remember the tabletop people being SUPER friendly last year but this is pax pretty much everyone will be helpful or friendly on anything.

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    StinkyTurd wrote: »
    I'm a major tabletop newbie but as I'll come bearing beer I suspect that was my be an issue :) plus I remember the tabletop people being SUPER friendly last year but this is pax pretty much everyone will be helpful or friendly on anything.

I've been to PAX East 5 times, never to Prime, and this is my first PAX South (Thanks to my wife and @s3prototype). No matter what PAX you go to, it always feels like home.

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

Yah this is my second South and I have been to East and Prime once each. Prime honestly wasnt as crazy as people say. But when it comes to any game including Tabletop games we were all a newbie once and are still for many games.

There will be a number of locals at this (myself included) who can give lots of recommendations so feel free to ask us to help.

• japesterjapester Registered User regular

Let me add to the chorus: YES! LOL. Seriously, I played some games prior to last year, but I just sat at a table with four strangers and learned four new games as the night went on. At most, I think one person at the table (if that) had played each game at least once. Sometimes we were all reading the instructions as we went. It was a blast.

I ended up gaming with each of those people again on different days during PAX itself when we ran into each other at the after-hours game lending area. And more strangers would join us for each game, so I met lots of new people playing board games last year.

If I make it out to the pre-PAX event, I'll probably bring my most recent Kickstarter arrivals: Zombicide Black Plague, Blood Rage, and maybe Trickerion (I still need to learn the rules for that one).

• Delacroix01Delacroix01 Registered User regular
    japester wrote: »

Let me add to the chorus: YES! LOL. Seriously, I played some games prior to last year, but I just sat at a table with four strangers and learned four new games as the night went on. At most, I think one person at the table (if that) had played each game at least once. Sometimes we were all reading the instructions as we went. It was a blast.

I ended up gaming with each of those people again on different days during PAX itself when we ran into each other at the after-hours game lending area. And more strangers would join us for each game, so I met lots of new people playing board games last year.

If I make it out to the pre-PAX event, I'll probably bring my most recent Kickstarter arrivals: Zombicide Black Plague, Blood Rage, and maybe Trickerion (I still need to learn the rules for that one).

This sounds awesome! For sure something in totally down for!

• MartossMartoss Registered User regular
    I would love to help introduce some newbies to some awesome board games, but I'm only gonna be bringing one or two small games (thinking maybe Codenames and like, One Night Ultimate Werewolf). I know we're only starting like a couple hours later than last year but I feel like I'm gonna feel rushed all the same. But if I can get some plays of some more meaty games this night I'll be all for it!

edited January 2016
    Hey if any of the local (Texas-based) exhibitors want to message me I am writing an article for PAX South and want to feature local devs. Message me. And hey, look:

http://www.mysanantonio.com/entertainment/things-to-do/article/20-free-things-to-do-in-San-Antonio-this-January-6743333.php#photo-7436683

Aerikan on
    Beer achieved thanks to Alamo!
    http://alamobeer.com/

• sharpjmsharpjm Registered User new member
    Would Terra Mystica be an appropriate game to bring? I'd like to bring it, just not sure about mixing beer and strategy lol

sharpjm wrote: »
    Would Terra Mystica be an appropriate game to bring? I'd like to bring it, just not sure about mixing beer and strategy lol

Its up to you. If you feel people would play it then definitely. If you feel it may get too involved to keep people in one spot, then dont. Or you can just leave it in the car :)

Anyone bringing Fief? It's on the top of my "learn to-play list"

Couple updates:

We have tables for about 150 people. We can squeeze a few more in and probably fit up to 200, but a little crowded. 150 should be fairly comfortable with gaming room for all.

You can all use your PAX passes for a free day pass to Geekdom Thursday if anyone would like to check it out!

I'll have restaurant guides for the first 20 people. Sorry I couldn't grab more.

Free beer

In exchange for free beer, we'll need a few people to help us fold tables at the end. We have enough that it should be 5 min of work to fol them up and move them to the closet in the space.

Depending on when everything is over if probably be willing to fold some tables to help clean up.

If I stay long enough I likely will

Aerikan wrote: »
    Couple updates:

We have tables for about 150 people. We can squeeze a few more in and probably fit up to 200, but a little crowded. 150 should be fairly comfortable with gaming room for all.

You can all use your PAX passes for a free day pass to Geekdom Thursday if anyone would like to check it out!

I'll have restaurant guides for the first 20 people. Sorry I couldn't grab more.

Free beer

In exchange for free beer, we'll need a few people to help us fold tables at the end. We have enough that it should be 5 min of work to fol them up and move them to the closet in the space.

what time do you need people there to help?

Thanks for offers of help at end! Should be quick.

We'll do setup Wednesday so we'll be all ready Thursday, though I'll be there at 530 or. Event starts at 7.

Aerikan wrote: »

Not to be confused with the free, open-to-everyone game night we are talking about, being hosted at Geekdom. Just in case anyone isn't clear. I think Aerikan means Geekdom will open it's doors (it is a member-only facility) free that day if you show your PAX badge, so you can check out their facilities. (I've been upstairs, and it's pretty swank. Worth a look if you need a creative work space.)

As for helping clean up, there is a hard deadline of midnight, isn't there? So anyone wanting to help should plan on staying about that long, right? I think we got kicked out of the hotel last year a little after 2AM, so midnight shouldn't be difficult for folks. :P

Correct. Th event is free to all, open, no badges or anything required. But geekdom as a collaborative coworking space is opening its doors Thursday to PAX attendees. Thanks for clarification.

It's actually not a hard deadline. Essentially we can go til whenever as long as we lock up after. However, as I am exhibiting I need to be in early Friday, so I have to fly around midnightish. There is a good chance (in fact I am planing on it) that other cohost Geekdom members will be there to allow it to go til 1 or 2am or so.

• nbs2nbs2 Registered User regular
    Quick question about last year, knowing that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

How quickly did the space fill up?

We're heading out of Houston as soon as we are both home from work. At best, that means we won't roll in to SA until 7-ish. Toss in a quick In-N-Out stop and it could be 7:30-8 when we get there. I'd hate to arrive only to be capacitied out.

nbs2 wrote: »
    Quick question about last year, knowing that past performance is no guarantee of future results.

How quickly did the space fill up?

We're heading out of Houston as soon as we are both home from work. At best, that means we won't roll in to SA until 7-ish. Toss in a quick In-N-Out stop and it could be 7:30-8 when we get there. I'd hate to arrive only to be capacitied out.

follow me on twitter @s3prototype and I can give you up to the minute stats or PM me :)

• talamandertalamander Registered User regular
    Hello,

Can minors participate in the festivities at Geekdom? My party consists of two 17 year olds and a 22 year old

talamander wrote: »
    Hello,

Can minors participate in the festivities at Geekdom? My party consists of two 17 year olds and a 22 year old

Of course, just drinking for the 17 year olds.

talamander wrote: »
    Hello,

Of course, just drinking for the 17 year olds.

Yup, no games for the minors. They'll have to sit in the corner and drink beer while they wait.