As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Vaping is not a Crime: My Mod is TC and My Coils are DL

Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
edited August 2017 in Social Entropy++
I was a smoker from age 15 to 31. I tried everything to quit over the years. Patches, medication, cold turkey, gum. Nothing worked. Until this time last year. After several months of transitioning to a vaporizer, I finally was able to quit in September. And I've stayed quit.

But being interested in internet culture, I can't go a damned day without someone acting like people who vape are the worst. In a way I never saw the same people do about cigarettes. Vaping is cheaper, better for you in the short term (not known about the long term), doesn't necessarily smell like the worst shit ever, and doesn't leave a mess behind.

It also help people get off of cigarettes. And it helped me.

So explain to me, what is the big deal about vaping that has caused such vitriol towards people? I can understand the people who are angry about the vapers who constantly have to talk about their rig (whatever the hell that is), but things like reviews and tutorial videos? Maintaining the batteries/atomizers/tanks is complex, a good deal of shit isn't standardized, and getting a good product can be difficult without help. Those aren't a culture, they're legitimately helpful to anyone looking to switch away from smoking.

No I don't.
Death of Rats on

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    My issue is just the people that make vaping their life, much like anime or video games or whatever.

You're more than your vape rig!

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Ehhh only bugs me when people do it inside buildings in the same way second hand smoke bugs me. It is smelly.

• GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    vape memes are annoying
    and vape companies are targeting kids, that's about it.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I've never heard anyone demonize vaping over cigarettes

Weird

Glad you transitioned ok!

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Also isn't altering the voltage of your vape rig to output more smoke or whatever super super dangerous?

• RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    Some asshole hotboxed the shelter at the transit station and I had to either choke to death on horrible vape fumes or wait outside in the cold.

I waited outside in the cold.

Vape all you want, but keep that shit in the outdoors with the other smoke-producing stuff please.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Okay now make the same thread about anime

Okay now make the same thread about anime

But anime is a crime.

• Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Yeah, those people can get fucked. I've only gone as far as I need to switch, and only talk about it if people ask, and then only what they ask.

No I don't.
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    My issue with vapers is only when they consider themselves above laws concerning smoking and get belligerent about the difference when asked to cut out things like lighting up inside.

• NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    The only reason Vape stuff isn't cool is we haven't had someone go All The Way.
    Wear your google glass while vaping on your hoverboard

I'm glad you quit smoking though.

*greatjob*

CWTYtwHWoAIwdiV.jpg

• firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    I don't have strong feelings one way or the other but I heard someone call them mouth fedoras and that was kind of funny.

Also I saw a guy in LA rolling around on a hoverboard blowing huge clouds and it was sort of a perfect image of today's world.

All that aside anyone who drops stanky cigs for a discrete magical tobacco wand or whatever they are is pretty OK in my book.

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I think almost 100% of disdain people have for vaping is that its new and looks dumb

While smoking has been around pretty much forever and even with modern anti-smoking stuff its still a pretty common message that smoking looks cool/sexy

I imagine that in a couple years when the health effects are slightly better understood and the rigs get better and just the whole thing has been around longer and more people hopefully have stories like yours then it will get shit on less

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Ya those oblivious vaping inside people infuriate me, not the vaping itself, more the weird entitlement/selfishness/idiocy of smoking it around a crowd.

Also, if I'm my 15 feet from a building, having my cigarette in the cold rain, and I come back inside and get a giant cloud of vape blown in my face, I should be allowed to hang you from the ceiling by your underpants.

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Apparently something like 85% of the flavors have a chemical that causes popcorn lung.

My issue with vagina is we were finally getting it so kids weren't smoking and now valuing comes along and people say it's "safe" and it's cool and now kids are right back in again.

Madican wrote: »
    My issue with vapers is only when they consider themselves above laws concerning smoking and get belligerent about the difference when asked to cut out things like lighting up inside.

Well, to be fair most laws actually don't account for vaping. However, as someone who use to smoke, I treat it like smoking besides at home. No public buildings or contained spaces. Don't take a drag off of it if someone is within 5 feet of you. Stuff like that.

No I don't.
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Apparently something like 85% of the flavors have a chemical that causes popcorn lung.

My issue with vagina is we were finally getting it so kids weren't smoking and now valuing comes along and people say it's "safe" and it's cool and now kids are right back in again.

I am quoting this before you fix that typo :rotate:

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Admittedly whenever I think of vaping my mind immediately goes to this Onion article.

PUT THIS ON MY TOMBSTONE

• OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Yeah, the issue with vaping isn't so much the vaping itself as the people who vape

I for one welcome our vape-centric future with electronic cigarettes and other dumb cyberpunk things

But then, I grew up with two parents who smoked so I'm totally fine with smoking in general and don't really understand people who say they get headaches when exposed to even the most trace amounts of tobacco smoke

signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    My issue is just the people that make vaping their life, much like anime or video games or whatever.

You're more than your vape rig!

I didn't realize this until @crwth @Abracadaniel @DHS Odium and a bunch of us went to a barcade that was next to a vaping place and it was absolutely packed, the door was wide open, and yeah everything in at least a 200 foot radius smelled awful.

I don't begrudge people that do it, but for some reason people who do seem to think 'it's better than smoking, so it's obviously okay to do it wherever the hell I want' even though it's not really less disruptive than smoking for the people around you.

Yeah. Damn companies pushing vaginas on our kids. Wait what?

To be fair, Vagina is ALSO not a crime

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    God dammit!

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    It's really annoying to get headaches from vapor in no-smoking areas and then hear "TECHNICALLY I'm not smoking"

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    That might have been the best autocorrect post I've seen.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Quoting this for posterity

Edit: for the third or fourth time apparently

Xaquin on
    I'm not even going to fix it.

We need to keep vagina away from our children

signature-deffo.jpg
    Request thread title change.

DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    It's really annoying to get headaches from vapor in no-smoking areas and then hear "TECHNICALLY I'm not smoking"

This is why vaping needs to be classified the same as cigarettes legally. Make the smoking laws apply the same and it solves that.

No I don't.
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

We get this a lot at the parks. People doing it in restaurants, or in lines for rides with tons of small kids around, or on buses. And when you try and direct them to the designated smoking areas, that's when you get the 'TECHNICALLY'

EDIT: So basically, if people stop acting like jerks about it, I'll stop caring. I don't even care about the smell outside the barcade in my previous post, because they were all doing it at a place specifically for that purpose.

Javen on
    Olivaw wrote: »

But children come from vaginas

Uriel wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »

But children come from vaginas

You heard me

signature-deffo.jpg
    edited January 2016
    I would like to take a moment to point out that I had surgery today so I'm not responsible for anything I do.

Raijin Quickfoot on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    4pa9o66qlc9v.jpeg

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    Making us think vagina is dangerous is all part of Big Gay's PLAN

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    much like smoking, no one has a problem with the responsible smoker who smokes in their home and does not litter the ground with cigarette butts or blow smoke in the face of children

tragically, most vapers someone will encounter are asshole

liEt3nH.png