As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Epic D&D 3.5

JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
edited November 2006 in Critical Failures
So my friend is going to run a 30th level adventure sometime in the near future. All I know is that it's 32 point buy, 4.3 million gold, and half your hit die + 1 + con mod to determine hitpoints.

I'm thinking Wiz5/Pale Master10/Monk10/Reaping Mauler5. Basically, i'm going to grapple people then use touch attacks to kill them. And if that doesn't work, i'll just grapple them to death.

Did I mention we're going to be fighting mostly 15th and 20th level characters the DM creates? I'm sure there will be some epic guys eventually though.

I do have a conundrum though; Sorcerers can't get into Pale Master until level 6, which would leave me a level short somewhere. If I give him an Ioun Stone with +1 Caster level, will that qualify him for Pale Master at level 5? It requires the ability to cast Vampiric Touch and Command Undead, which are both 3rd level spells. If I couldn't do that, I'll just go for Wizard 5, but I would really prefer the Sorcerer.

Right now though, I'm trying to decide exactly what kind of items I want to buy. Here's what I have so far:

All 6 of the Manuals/Tomes +5 - 825,000
Bracers of Armor +8 (These don't count as armor for purposes of Monk abilities, right?) - 64,000
Ring of Protection +5 - 50,000
Monk's Belt - 13,000
Bag of Holding IV - 10,000
Cloak of Resistence +5 - 25,000
Ring of Rapid Healing - 300,000 (This goes on the Hand of Glory)
Peript of Epic Wisdom +12 - 1,440,000 (This is a +12 AC alone for my Monk abilities, which is nice)
Robe of the Archmagi - 75,000
Pale Green Ioun Stone - 30,000
Wings of Flying - 54,000
Boots of Swiftness - 256,000

Total spent so far: 3,228,000 out of 4,300,000 total.

Basically, I'm looking for items to increase my AC and chances of successful grapples/Touch Attacks. Suggestions for feats will be taken also, but I imagine most of them will be used for grappling feats.

Joeslop on

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    You can only wear one necklace. The periapt is too useful to lose, but you don't really need the hand of glory since you only have two rings.

I'd drop the cloak of resistance in favor of a robe of the archmagi. You only lose one point on your save bonus, and yougat all those other nifty things, including ac and spell resistance bonuses, both of which are good for this build.

Stay as a wizard. The stone adds one to your caster level, which is used in figuring out the effects of certain spells (very useful), but doesn't give you any additional spells.

oun stones are always good. I reccomend lavender and green, pale green, and whatever stat boosts you like. At level thirty they won't be hard to take out, but those are a few attacks that aren't aimed at you, and if the build works no one will have a hand free to attack them with.

laughingfuzzball on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Edited for the new items.

Head -
    Eyes -
    Neck - Peript of Epic Wisdom +12
    Shoulders - Wings of Flying (Spell caster flying around flinging spells? I'll just fly up and "convince" him to come down)
    Ring 1 - Ring of Protection +5
    Ring 2 - Ring of Rapid Healing
    Hands - Gloves of Dexterity +6
    Arms/Wrists - Bracers of Armor +8
    Body - Robe of the Archmagi
    Torso -
    Waist - Monk's Belt
    Feet -

Man, I'm missing more slots than I thought and I still have 1.3 mil to blow.

Joeslop on
  • naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Joeslop wrote:

Head -
    Eyes -
    Shoulders - Wings of Flying (Spell caster flying around flinging spells? I'll just fly up and "convince" him to come down)
    Torso -
    Waist - Monk's Belt
    Feet -

I would suggest Boots of Swiftness. Their +6 to Dex does not stack with your Gloves, so you would be free to get different gloves. Also...doubles your movement speed.
    Boots of Swiftness: These shoes grant their wearer a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. The wearer’s speed doubles (this does not stack with any magical or supernatural enhancement to speed), he or she gains the evasion ability (as the rogue class feature), and the wearer’s jumping distance is not limited by his or her height. The wearer gains a +20 competence bonus on Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks. Three times per day, the wearer can utter a command word to activate the boots’ haste power (as the haste spell, lasts 20 rounds).
    Caster Level: 20th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, cat’s grace, expeditious retreat, haste, jump; Market Price: 256,000 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

naporeon on
    edited November 2006
    naporeon wrote:
    Joeslop wrote:

Head -
    Eyes -
    Torso -
    Waist - Monk's Belt
    Feet -

I would suggest Boots of Swiftness. Their +6 to Dex does not stack with your Gloves, so you would be free to get different gloves. Also...doubles your movement speed.
    Boots of Swiftness: These shoes grant their wearer a +6 enhancement bonus to Dexterity. The wearer’s speed doubles (this does not stack with any magical or supernatural enhancement to speed), he or she gains the evasion ability (as the rogue class feature), and the wearer’s jumping distance is not limited by his or her height. The wearer gains a +20 competence bonus on Balance, Climb, Jump, and Tumble checks. Three times per day, the wearer can utter a command word to activate the boots’ haste power (as the haste spell, lasts 20 rounds).
    Caster Level: 20th; Prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Epic Wondrous Item, cat’s grace, expeditious retreat, haste, jump; Market Price: 256,000 gp; Weight: 1 lb.

If I go with a race that has 30ft, I'll have a total of 120 feet a round taking my +30 from Monk10 into account. Holy crap.

Joeslop on
  • Mad JazzMad Jazz gotta go fast AustinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Don't forget about looking for some high end magical toys outside of armor (rods in particular spring to mind, because there are some fucking cool rods). Also, don't leave home without your 20ft collapsible pole. You'll need it, trust me.

Mad Jazz on
    camo_sig2.png
  • DeepQantasDeepQantas Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Hm. You want both Int and Wis, don't you? Ask the DM if you can use age modifiers. That should save you a few points for the point-buy. Especially since you get 7 stat boosts to patch up the physical stats with (or min-max more) for being level 30.

DeepQantas on
    m~
  • Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    edited November 2006
    The ring of rapid healing? Is that new or a ring of regenaration?

As for your torso, I'd go with a vest of resistance (I think you can just swap the stats from the cloak for the same price) and for the eyes I'd say you should customize some sort of arcane sight/identify thingy.

And did I read that right? There's now a DnD Epic 3.5 rulebook?

I need this.

Darth Waiter on
    edited November 2006
    The ring of rapid healing? Is that new or a ring of regenaration?

As for your torso, I'd go with a vest of resistance (I think you can just swap the stats from the cloak for the same price) and for the eyes I'd say you should customize some sort of arcane sight/identify thingy.

And did I read that right? There's now a DnD Epic 3.5 rulebook?

I need this.

Unfortunetly, there isn't. We're still using the 3.0 book, but 99% of the rest of the books we have are 3.5

Also, the Ring of Rapid Healing is in that book, gives you Fast Healing 3. Which says it gives me that amount of HP on each of my turns, which I assume means a round. So 3 HP every 6 seconds or so. That's a lot faster than Regeneration, though if I lose a limb, it won't bring it back.

Joeslop on
    edited November 2006
    DeepQantas wrote:
    Hm. You want both Int and Wis, don't you? Ask the DM if you can use age modifiers. That should save you a few points for the point-buy. Especially since you get 7 stat boosts to patch up the physical stats with (or min-max more) for being level 30.

Eh, I would still be losing out more than I'd be gaining. +1 or +2 Charisma mod won't do me any good, +1 or +2 to Wisdom would be 1 or 2 more AC, but it would be completely negated by the -3 Dex mod I would be taking.

Joeslop on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2006
    No Heward's Handy Haversack?

For shame.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    please keep us updated on this.

im interested in where you put your stats also.

so when you get finished, please post your end results if you dont mind. :)

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited November 2006
    Just be a Sorcerer level 23, get leadership, epic leadership and epic spellcasting.

Then declare that you have won the game.

Buy epic buff spells that range into the hundreds of points[and last for multipule years], make yourself immune to any non-epic spell you so choose [for multipule years], extend your life however long you want, and then basically melee things to death with +hundreds of bonuses to attack/damage on top of your completly ludicrous stats.

edit: anyway, grappling will probably be useless due to freedom of movement.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited November 2006
    arcath wrote:
    please keep us updated on this.

im interested in where you put your stats also.

so when you get finished, please post your end results if you dont mind. :)

32 Point Buy.

Perhaps...

STR: 10
    DEX: 12
    CON: 16
    INT: 14
    WIS: 16
    CHA: 8

Really, all my scores are going to be high anyway with magical items. I also haven't decided on a race.

Joeslop on