As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[2016 Challenge Coin Thread] See you all next year!

• Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    That claw graphic is pretty cool. I thought I wouldn't want a claw game on there, but I like it.

• Options
    jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I would vote for no color only for consistency. I have never seen a color challenge coin in person, though.

• Options
    sirmrejsirmrej Seattle areaRegistered User regular
    I love the Fenway idea. I thought in the past someone had a picture of the outside of it? Anyone else remember that? I might like that better than the diamond...

I also vote no color

For the other side, I like the VR the best. It's whimsical and relevant :)

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Ooh, I really love that close up claw idea.

• Options
    Streetlight345Streetlight345 Seekonk, MARegistered User regular
    Vote: Fenway/Claw game, no color

OgqpDBS.png
    PAX East 2019!
    Badges [X] Hotel [X] Time off request [X]
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Streetlight345
  • Options
    SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited December 2015
    @ironysparkles I too like the closer view good call and good job.

I took @ironysparkles design as well as my claw design and combined the two ideas :)
    z3sjxlrc3jpv.png

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sepioth wrote: »
    @ironysparkles I too like the closer view good call and good job.

I took @ironysparkles design as well as my claw design and combined the two ideas :)
    z3sjxlrc3jpv.png

The one tweak I'd make to the image is to remove the sides, let the toys go all the way to the inner ring of the coin, maybe put a bar down the middle to give the impression the machine is quite a bit bigger and you're just seeing part of it.
    omegathon.jpg

I just like filling up the space available.

• Options
    edited December 2015
    @SutibunRi How's this?

Claw Machine (No sides):
    75k5v7xfohpf.png

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    This is what I think of when I think of those claw games. Below is not the exact one I saw, but you can find one in many a seafood restaurant up in Maine.
    4461656556_e36b884da1_b.jpg

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    I like removing the sides and using the whole space for the prizes, too. Maybe we can find some details to put in low relief in the background to fill the empty space. I'm picturing big light bulbs but can't find any good references. Or maybe we can make the claw bigger/more forward and add in more prizes, or even some lines to imply the shine of the mirrored back.

@hsu - Lobster claw machine! That's awesome and also weird.

UyhWici.png
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Oh god, all I can think of is this

260px-UFO_Catcher_Pario_Marty_2.png

Imagine having your life decided by a crane game

• Options
    abdoooooabdooooo Registered User regular
    I'm interested! Mainly due to this being my first Pax ever. Gotta make it count! All the ideas so far are good with me.

• Options
    RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    PAX South is making two coins this year. One traditional and one with colour. Don't fear the colour :D

ah59dzc6wb0w.jpg

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    KaronethKaroneth Elder Scrolling Online Co-Host Lakehurst, NJRegistered User regular
    Wow that color on the dice is amazing!

• Options
    gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    I'd buy one of those.

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    It would be fantastic if we could adopt a plan similar to what the PAX South fans are doing. Having the option to buy colored and uncolored versions would make everyone happy, and I might even buy one of each. It would also give my friends the option to chose which one they want.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    in regard to the comment about bethesda, as far as i remember you can use trademarked logos if your not doing it for profit (i.e. fan made creations) so if your doing this and charging just to cover costs that technically is not for profit. just a thought...

• Options
    Unfortunately there is profit definitely being made.

Whatever company we commission to produce the coins is not going to produce them out of the kindness of their heart and sell them to us at cost :)

They are going to want to make money.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    iltailta Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    in regard to the comment about bethesda, as far as i remember you can use trademarked logos if your not doing it for profit (i.e. fan made creations) so if your doing this and charging just to cover costs that technically is not for profit. just a thought...

Also, and I'm not a lawyer, but I do work with digital images professionally, and that is DEFINITELY not true. "Fair Use" isn't just something you can invoke and be automatically protected, it's an argument you have to make in court, like self defense. Furthermore, "no profit" is only one of the measures by which a judge might decide that you are in the right, or liable -- you can make $0, you can even LOSE money doing a thing with protected IP, and still lose in court because of how the whole of the case shakes out. And even a successful trip to court is one that anyone would do well to avoid. So yes, no trademarked logos is always the prudent choice for a project like this.

ilta on
  • Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    ilta wrote: »
    you can make $0, you can even LOSE money doing a thing with protected IP, and still lose in court because of how the whole of the case shakes out.
    The worry here is image brand and the possibility of tarnishing what the icon/logo/whatever stands for. It's a slippery slope.

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    you can make $0, you can even LOSE money doing a thing with protected IP, and still lose in court because of how the whole of the case shakes out.
    The worry here is image brand and the possibility of tarnishing what the icon/logo/whatever stands for. It's a slippery slope.

Precisely. This happens all the time in IP law -- famously to Kleenex and Xerox -- and it's why you get stories about Disney powerwashing Mickey Mouse off of the sides of daycare buildings and also why (until a few months ago!) every corporate restaurant needed its own official "birthday song" to sing instead of Happy Birthday (that's a copyright issue, but it's the same principle). If you don't protect your IP you lose it, and trademarks are among the most expensive kinds of IP (to say nothing of the value they represent to a company -- what would Coke be without "Coca-Cola"? ), so people who hold protected trademarks are very motivated to keep them that way.

Thus, the best defense for an independent creator against getting sucked into an ugly court battle, or even something less awful but still annoying like "not getting any coins made this year because lawyers", is to just avoid protected IP, especially when money is involved but really any time you want to make a thing for public consumption. This is why the PAX challenge coins have never used the PAX logo, and shouldn't.

ilta on
  • Options
    rascrushrascrush Registered User regular
    did we decide what we doing feel like we should get the ball rolling

• Options
    RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Heya, I know I'm late to the party, hope you don't mind me intruding. I picked up some Pax East challenge coins back in 2013 and I was really happy with them. If I might add my votes, I'd say stick with no color and don't use any form of Massachusetts public transit on the coin. Trust me, the last thing anyone who lives in Boston wants to be reminded of is the public transit system. I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin.

• Options
    I honestly think the MBTA got way to much crap for last winter. I take busses and trains every day and while I agree it was a crappy situation it was an unprecedented amount of snow fall. The fact they only shut down for one day is pretty amazing in my book. And yes on the days it was running it was slow and late but at least it was running and the bus or train did show up.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    Adamx98Adamx98 Registered User new member
    I'm in for 3!

Personal preference would be to have the Bunker Hill monument as opposed to Fenway as the landmark. I like the greater historical significance.

Definitely prefer silver/no color.

I like the idea of virtual reality being incorporated... it's definitely going to be a big part of gaming as it matures!

• Options
    TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular
    Personally, I'm in favor of no color still. I can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't sit right for me.

• Options
    PAX South coins are in. Just so you can see what the colour looks like. Both runs of 100 sold out.

Just want to show you proof of concept :)

2jlcwgcp7876.jpg

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • Options
    OysterPrimeOysterPrime Registered User regular
    The colored coin looks a lot better than I expected. I still want an uncolored one for myself, but it seems like having the option for both would make everyone happy.

PAX Prime: 2012, 2014
    PAX East: 2013

PAX East 2016:
    [ X ] Badge [ X ] Hotel [ X ] Plane Ticket
  • Options
    bschorybschory Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    I'm in for (at least) a coin this year.

I actually really like the idea of a colored coin, but am currently leaning toward uncolored.

I think the south coins turned out awesome. Question: if the center is a photo disc, the dice image is completely flat right?

Would be nice to have a textured design at the center with some color to make it pop. Like the outer ring of the South Coin does.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Alright, I'm alive, and my brain has finished playing Migraines & Depressions: Holiday Edition.
    I'm updating the OP and tossing up another vote for the options we have here.
    Edit: Here's a copy of the voting link.

SutibunRi on
  • Options
    miker525miker525 New YorkRegistered User regular
    Voted. Claw #5 just looks so great so that was my vote

weZXr66.png
    Steam - Miker525 | Xbox Live - Miker525| PSN - MikeRosenberg
    Websites - Gamerations - MikeRosenberger.com
    Pinny Pals - Miker525
  • Options
    can you clarify this vote for me? how "final" are these designs supposed to be? are we voting for a general concept and direction, or for pretty much what the coin will look like?

• Options
    aBByNormaLaBByNormaL Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    not sure what each design is that I am being asked to vote on ....

EDIT: nvrmind ... found it ...

aBByNormaL on
    PAX East 2016 .... gots my Passes [x] Hotel [x] Flights [x] Packed [..] .... ok we're all good !!!!!
  • Options
    RenegadeTKRenegadeTK Central MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I have to say, the coin with the dark outer rim is pretty eye catching. Still not sold on a color image in the center though.

• Options
    can you clarify this vote for me? how "final" are these designs supposed to be? are we voting for a general concept and direction, or for pretty much what the coin will look like?

If anyone's willing to improve upon the winning choice, I'm all for that, if multiple people do we'll have another round of votes.
    If not, then I guess the winner will be what we end up sending out, and see what the coin company can do with it.

• Options
    MechcondridMechcondrid CT, USARegistered User regular
    how much have this sold for in the past?
    would definitely be down for a couple at least

• Options
    how much have this sold for in the past?
    would definitely be down for a couple at least

My invoice from last year shows them at $8 each. I know it's changed a bit over the years, though.

• Options
    XenigmaXenigma Registered User regular
    Went for Claw Machine 4 personally: I like having the joystick and machine visible, without the visual clutter of an arcade like in 1 and 2. As for VR Man, your time will come I'm sure!

Pins? Pins!
    PAX East Attendee since 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sorry I have been away for a while .. but life happens .. between holidays and work I have been very busy.

Let me know if there is anything that you would like done with the coin after it is selected. I believe claw 5 is in the lead?

Here is Option 5 in color... :P
    ml090b3z17u3.png

More plush added and slightly shrunk the pokeball a bit.
    2yr40ydy23zf.png

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    bschory wrote: »
    I'm in for (at least) a coin this year.

I actually really like the idea of a colored coin, but am currently leaning toward uncolored.

I think the south coins turned out awesome. Question: if the center is a photo disc, the dice image is completely flat right?

Would be nice to have a textured design at the center with some color to make it pop. Like the outer ring of the South Coin does.

The colour coins have enemal over them to protect the colour. You could talk to the company and not have it, but not sure now resistance the colouring is to damage.

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg