As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

California Pax-Treme! [California Extreme Forum Meetup]

ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
edited January 2016 in Social Entropy++
Purpose of Thread: Judge interest for a California Extreme based forum Meetup

When and Where: Hyatt Regency Hotel, Santa Clara, California, July 15-17 (event is 16th/17th), 2016

What the hell is California Extreme?:
California Extreme is the "Classic Arcade Games Show". It's an annual celebration of coin operated pinball machines, video games and other novelties you once found in game arcades. All games on display are set for free play, so leave your quarters in the ash tray in your car. You won't need 'em.

11057391_10153036066668733_4446770165261780397_n.jpg?oh=d9eea9e89d7dfc2a7603e56cd0aff034&oe=57388EC6

11752568_10153036070158733_5747423409724590477_n.jpg?oh=88f15ef1ede78a3246e580728cc72459&oe=56FC1320

10502529_10153036070598733_4290770548584809421_n.jpg?oh=2afcaa7c4c97e3bbec67d003f151704d&oe=572EDD63

gb1hpmid0ufn.jpg

California Extreme is one of the biggest exhibitions of arcade machines in the world and happens yearly in Santa Clara CA. You may have heard of it on Giant Bomb and recognize it as the place the late Ryan Davis totally Narced out some poor hippy on twitter

Lodging: The block of group rate rooms at the Regency is already sold out, but I called the event planners and they are ready for a ton more people SO, you can either stay at the hotel at the regular rate (about 200 a night) or come join me at the Builtmore Inn & Suites 2 miles down the road for about $130 a night. If we can get some interest in this I will be willing to try and help match people up with roommates to split expenses

What Else Will We Be Doing? I plan to be at the event basically as long as its open, which is 11 AM - 2 AM on Saturday and 11 - AM - 9 PM sunday BUT if we end up doing this I will organize some eating times/meetups so we can meet up and chat/eat/hang out and drink (if you are over 21 of course). I'll fill this section out as I get more details.

I'm also trying to think of something we could wear/do so we can identify each other while walking around the floor but you'll have to get back to me on that.

Details:

Hey everybody!

So while I was banned I was chatting a little with @Kilroy and it turns out both of us have really deeply wanted to go try out California Extreme for a long time. Unfortunately Its a pretty expensive proposition for me. BUT, I figured that since I can never make it out to PAXes, and I really want to do this, it might be possible to get some forum people together to go hang out and play old videogames and also justify spending the money to meet some cool people I already like!

If you're interested let me know in the thread (please don't PM or I might lose you) and if we get enough interest I'll get the ball rolling on booking my flight and let everyone know for sure this is happening.

For more information you can check out CAXes website here: http://www.caextreme.org/ or just ask questions and I'll try to help you out!

Tenative attendee list:
Chincymcchilla
Kilroy
Inquisitor
jgeis
Nirya
Molly
YOU!??!?!?

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
Chincymcchilla on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Okay

But what if instead we go to this okay barcade in my hometown

CYpGAPn.png
  • ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Okay

Blank I really like you and I'd like to meet you IRL but I am not going to fly to your okay barcade

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
    Okay

Blank I really like you and I'd like to meet you IRL but I am not going to fly to your okay barcade
    Oh so you'll drive, cool

CYpGAPn.png
    Okay

Oh so you'll drive, cool

You may be misinterpreting the sentiment here

See you there, buddy!

CYpGAPn.png
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    blank you are contractually obligated to go to anything with "extreme" in the title, we've talked about this

WeedLordVegeta on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'm so down for this. I live like 40 minutes away and can provide carpooling for foks that need it.

If you read the contract, sir you will see that I am only bound to events with X-Treme or Xtreme in the title.

CYpGAPn.png
  • jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm down for this. I haven't been up to the bay area since moving to LA.

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Okay

Oh so you'll drive, cool

real talk: depending on how things shake out I might road trip out to California, in which case I would totally make a stop to visit you

Kilroy wrote: »
    Okay

Oh so you'll drive, cool

real talk: depending on how things shake out I might road trip out to California, in which case I would totally make a stop to visit you

Couch surf but ONLY on forumers couches

Okay

Oh so you'll drive, cool

Yooooooooooooo

CYpGAPn.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Oh wait Santa CLARA not Santa Clarita, okay so it's actually a 6 hour drive for me. That said still down to go and help carpool people from the LA area up to the event.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Oh wait Santa CLARA not Santa Clarita, okay so it's actually a 6 hour drive for me. That said still down to go and help carpool people from the LA area up to the event.

It is

A) Pretty funny both of those exist
    B) To an east coaster, INSANE that you can drive 6 hours in your own state

It is

when I first moved to the DC area it blew my mind that I was only an hour away from baltimore, theee hours from philly, and four from new york

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    if only I was still in California.....

wistful sigh

wistful breathing

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

It is

Try driving in Nebraska, where every hour feels like 6.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

It is

Ok but only if you try driving in California

To CAX

With Me
    if only I was still in California.....

wistful sigh

wistful breathing

wistful plane ticket purchasing

edited January 2016

It is

To CAX

With Me

If you're willing to meet me halfway (as in come here, which is pretty much the halfway point of this friggin country), I could road-trip.

OmnipotentBagel on
    cdci44qazyo3.gif

hehe, CAX

It is

To CAX

With Me

If you're willing to meet me halfway (as in come here, which is pretty much the halfway point of this friggin country), I could road-trip.

Yeah I'd love to but that would be more time off than I have, I'm gonna have to fly

hehe, CAX

I know I'm not really grown up because the government required ID (Common Access Card) or 'CAC' still makes me chuckle

Quick update, Tickets are $60 for the whole weekend, $40 for saturday only

• sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    I might could do this if it was a month later. Looks rad as heck, hope you guys have fun.

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    Santa Carla?
    Sorry, I just can't stomach all those damn vampires

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    i'm sorry i was discussing this with you and i'm not even mentioned

I WANNA MEET YOU DORKS EVEN IF IT ISN'T AT CALIFORNIA EXTREME PROPER

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    don't act like the first thing I do when I hit the bay area won't be hollla at you

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    I might be able to day trip this.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    But there are now barcades in the city!

Why would I drive all the way to the South Bay?

Nothing. Matters.
    To meet me, your new best friend, Molly.

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    But there are now barcades in the city!

Why would I drive all the way to the South Bay?

Although hopefully I'll be living in SF by then, I believe this is still an appropriate reaction to this post: :mad:

Anyway, where all the other Bay Area forumers at? Paging @Moriveth

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    More than a five hour drive away, alas. Looks a fun event though.

vmn6rftb232b.png
  • sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    To meet me, your new best friend, Molly.

I just realized your avatar is a lady, I though it was some kind of bird for a good 2 minutes.

i'm sorry i was discussing this with you and i'm not even mentioned

I WANNA MEET YOU DORKS EVEN IF IT ISN'T AT CALIFORNIA EXTREME PROPER

I am the worst friend

Its okay I still love you <3

Why do people keep insisting on doing things near the coasts. There's tons of great places in America's rich gooey center around which to gather. I feel like I'm more or less equally far away from everything.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Why do people keep insisting on doing things near the coasts. There's tons of great places in America's rich gooey center around which to gather. I feel like I'm more or less equally far away from everything.

If it helps, I am equally far from both pax east and pax south, they're both a decently far flight

Nothing happens in the southeast, only florida and northeast

Jerks

If it helps, I am equally far from both pax east and pax south, they're both a decently far flight

Nothing happens in the southeast, only florida and northeast

Jerks

I had a quick look at a map and I think what we need to do is create a PAX in Indiana. Still a bit of a drive, but it's almost literally meeting halfway.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

indiana sucks though

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately I'm gonna be leaving for Italy that weekend

I would totally be down for hangouts before/after though