As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

tabletop rpgs!

bm-dmbm-dm Registered User new member
How present was the roleplaying community last year? I'm hoping to play as many indie rpgs that I can cram into my con schedule!

• Options
    provideprovide Michigan, USRegistered User regular
    I had trouble finding tabletop RPG pick-up groups, but maybe since this year is going to be bigger, there will be more of a chance to. There's a twitter hashtag you can use to find people, though. The indie tabletop area was full of awesome stuff, but finding people to play with was a bit of a challenge. Just my individual experience

"Equity for the meek through perseverance and strength!"
  • Options
    bioballbioball Registered User new member
    provide wrote: »
    I had trouble finding tabletop RPG pick-up groups, but maybe since this year is going to be bigger, there will be more of a chance to. There's a twitter hashtag you can use to find people, though. The indie tabletop area was full of awesome stuff, but finding people to play with was a bit of a challenge. Just my individual experience

I'd be willing to run some 5e D&D games if folks were interested: "Basic", Yoon-Suin, and/or A Red & Pleasant Land. In addition, if folks wanted to try to DM their first D&D game, I'd be more than happy to be a player.

• Options
    DevierueDevierue Registered User regular
    There are definitely indie rpgs there, but as far as getting players...it's a matter of aligning stars. People often have tight schedules, making it difficult to commit to several hours of spontaneous play.

• Options
    VolcartheVolcarthe Registered User regular
    edited December 2015
    Last year, I was literally the only person running 5e D&D.
    Otherwise, yes please RPL, and I might do something.

I am sincerely hoping that the D&D AL folks will put some effort into it this time.
    EDIT: Just got confirmation from the Southwest coordinator that there won't be official Adventurers League D&D play this year. He says they're trying to work something for 2017.

Volcarthe on
  • Options
    IrsoolIrsool Registered User regular
    I didn't get to play many board games last year, so I'm looking forward to set aside a good chunk of time to play with anyone I find each day.

uV3Kd9v.png
  • Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    I'm planning on running a D&D 5E adventure the night before PAX, probably with a repeat after hours one of the days of the show depending on demand. But I'll have to wait until the schedule is out before deciding if I want to run anything during the actual convention hours.

I'm still looking for a venue, since the PAX tabletop room won't be available for that first session, and I'm not 100% sure yet what my player count will be.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    CamoPantsMurphyCamoPantsMurphy Registered User regular
    I could probably find some time to run some 5e on Friday & Saturday. I'm not the most experienced DM but I think I can manage a group of 4 or 5. I'll have to dust off my campaign notes.
    provide wrote: »

What's the hashtag used to find people?

• Options
    podunk the mightypodunk the mighty Game Designer TexasRegistered User regular
    I'd like to run a D&D game of my heavy metal-themed fantasy world after hours on one of the days if I got the chance to, but I don't know how likely it'd be to find enough players to actually show up. (I'm actually hoping to start turning the material into a sourcebook sooner rather than later...)

On Their Merry Way Is On Kickstarter Today!
    I design games under the name New Experience Workshop.
    Website. Facebook. Twitter.
  • Options
    DrunkVikingDrunkViking Registered User regular
    Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok will have a demo games booth in the table-top space so we welcome any and all inquisitive Vikings to come check out this rune based RPG. It's our first PAX-South and we look forward to connecting with the RPG community down south. :) We'll have pregens and the system has about a 5-10 minute explanation time. For those already playing, you can bring your own level 8 characters. If you have any questions, I'll gladly answer them here.

I also wanted to ask about the pin culture at South. At PAX-East there are a ton of peeps looking to acquire and trade lapel pins. We have some made up for PAX-East, should we bring them to PAX-South as well?

Oh and we're up to playing in other indie RPG designer's games, so let us know if you run one Thursday or Sunday night.

"Praise day at even, a wife when dead, a weapon when tried, a maid when married, ice when 'tis crossed, and ale when 'tis drunk." - Havamal
  • Options
    OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    I also wanted to ask about the pin culture at South. At PAX-East there are a ton of peeps looking to acquire and trade lapel pins. We have some made up for PAX-East, should we bring them to PAX-South as well?

PAX South was starving for pins last year. I would bring them.

• Options
    The twitter hashtag is a terrible idea for a couple reasons:
    1) Nobody's checking constantly
    2) Internet is sketchy-at-best in the hall.

What we need is a sign-up board and to stake out a few tables as RPG area. If anyone local has a whiteboard with tripod, that'd be useful.
    If they use the same floorspace as last time, there's plenty of room to do such.

I'm one of the Austin D&D AL coordinators now, so I'll plan to bring stuff & run something at least once since the SA guys didn't get any organization for reasons unknown to me.

• Options
    FloorSocialFloorSocial Registered User regular
    Total shot in the dark here -- my friends and I have grown up as video gamers, and we've never played D&D. (or tabletop RPG's at all) This is our second PAX, and we thought we'd try out tabletop RPG this time. Problem is, we have absolutely no idea how to get started...for instance...is rude to ask an experience DM to host a game (especially for bunch of rookies)? Is that a thing? As I said, total shot in the dark.

• Options
    DrunkVikingDrunkViking Registered User regular
    Total shot in the dark here -- my friends and I have grown up as video gamers, and we've never played D&D. (or tabletop RPG's at all) This is our second PAX, and we thought we'd try out tabletop RPG this time. Problem is, we have absolutely no idea how to get started...for instance...is rude to ask an experience DM to host a game (especially for bunch of rookies)? Is that a thing? As I said, total shot in the dark.

Not at all. In fact playing with an experienced GM is probably the best way to learn as someone will show you the ropes. Chances are you will stumble across some game tables geared towards experienced players, because (1) the game system is more complex, or (2) the player characters which are written up are for high levels. As a new player you want to scout an RPG that is easy to learn for first timers and has pre-generated characters of low level (less variables to worry about for your first time).

That said, we will have a demo space setup for Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok. Our pre-gens are for beginners and the system is easy enough for 11 year olds to pick up and play. The content is "apocalyptic Vikings" as your adventures take place during the end-times. You are welcome to come by and we'll give you the rundown of both table-top roleplaying in general as well as FOTN:R.

And I highly suspect you will find many more games like ours to try out during PAX. :)

"Praise day at even, a wife when dead, a weapon when tried, a maid when married, ice when 'tis crossed, and ale when 'tis drunk." - Havamal
  • Options
    Not at all. In fact playing with an experienced GM is probably the best way to learn as someone will show you the ropes. Chances are you will stumble across some game tables geared towards experienced players, because (1) the game system is more complex, or (2) the player characters which are written up are for high levels. As a new player you want to scout an RPG that is easy to learn for first timers and has pre-generated characters of low level (less variables to worry about for your first time).

That said, we will have a demo space setup for Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok. Our pre-gens are for beginners and the system is easy enough for 11 year olds to pick up and play. The content is "apocalyptic Vikings" as your adventures take place during the end-times. You are welcome to come by and we'll give you the rundown of both table-top roleplaying in general as well as FOTN:R.

And I highly suspect you will find many more games like ours to try out during PAX. :)

Thanks for the reply! I will stop by the demo space and give it a shot. If an 11 year old can understand the game, perhaps our intellect combined will almost be enough. See you at the show.

• Options
    tbrooks1986tbrooks1986 Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

The Pathfinder Society will be there all weekend running games and teaching people how to play. It's basically D&D 3.75!

You can check out our schedule here!

tbrooks1986 on
  • Options
    AuburnElvisAuburnElvis Registered User new member
    I'm going to my 1st Pax and I'm hoping to spend as much of that playing D&D, or some other RPG, as possible.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    UPDATE:
    The newest D&D (5th edition) releases has now put the Adventurers League play access in the hands of everyone.
    Given that, I will be bringing a handful of adventures to run and do at least one a day.

If you have an adventurers league character, bring them to play.
    Otherwise, I'll have some pre-gens to use and DCI cards to hand out for those not in the system.

Volcarthe on
  • Options
    crono_clonecrono_clone Registered User new member
    There’ll be three of us coming who can play 5E D&D and have AL characters. I can also help some run modules if needed.

• Options
    SenorDreadSenorDread Registered User new member
    I am interested in playing 5E D&D.

• Options

The Pathfinder Society will be there all weekend running games and teaching people how to play. It's basically D&D 3.75!

You can check out our schedule here!

Thanks for all the replies. Sounds like there will be plenty of opportunity to learn. Looking forward to PAX, and meeting you folks.

• Options
    evilgovtchemistevilgovtchemist Registered User new member
    Great to see all the people down for some tabletop games! Just wondering if anyone is bring Fiasco? My friend and I have been really wanting to try it.

• Options
    macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    First year at South, but I know at East once the expo hall closes, many folks grab dinner and then head to Tabletop for long format games since that area stays open. That's probably your best bet for putting together a tabletop RPG.

• Options
    michaeldemossmichaeldemoss LouisianaRegistered User regular
    I would love some after hours D&D! Can't wait for PAX

ba2znj3fyg5r.png
  • Options
    basotlbasotl San Antonio, TXRegistered User regular
    One of my friends and I are going to check out the table top area. This will be my first convention after moving to Texas. The past conventions I've been to were more table top gaming centered, so there were sign ups for games ahead of time. This will be interesting to see if we can jump into a few new game systems.

• Options
    Major props to the team at the "Fate of the Norns: Ragnarok" booth. As promised the DM was patient with me and my friends and we dove head-first into tabletop RPG for the first time. Awesome work, and a really great game!

Also, same can be said for folks at the The Pathfinder Society, who were just a patient and ran a fun (and at times hilarious) hour-long game. We learned a ton at this stop as well. Can't wait until the next PAX!