As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Winter Storm Jonas

• TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    (secretly glad my part of Ohio is being spared)

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    If you're going to name hurricanes and tropical storms why not name winter storms?

Why don't we just name the moon, too?!?

• GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Fuck this blizzard bullshit.

Come to Texas, Eddy, be a snowbird and visit South Pax with all of our weather in the seventies.

The one time I made it down to Texas it was covered in a two inch layer of snow and ice!

Two whole inches?!? My God, you're lucky you weren't eaten when the jerky ran out!

(But seriously, that much snow is cause for concern since it freezes and thaws so rapidly and fuckin' nobody has snow tires or tire chains.)

I live in orange county.

Literally never seen snow up close.

Once my Dad took me up to a mountain area a ways north of our house, and there was hardened frost that used to be snow.

ten-ish year old me couldn't even break off a chunk to play with.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

If you're going to name hurricanes and tropical storms why not name winter storms?

It has a name.

Luna.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Uriel wrote: »

It has a name.

Luna.

That's the girl from Harry Potter.

It has a name.

Luna.

That's the girl from Harry Potter.

No that's Hermione.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Wait did that say 52 inches

What the fuck

CYpGAPn.png
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    (secretly glad my part of Ohio is being spared)

Somehow Maine is expected to avoid this one as well. I know given the state I should be ok with snow, but I was really, really happy to hear we weren't getting hit as of right now. Although my weekend plans were "Read comics, play video games" I guess that would have worked with or without snow.

• DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular

https://youtu.be/sRSMshdQ0Pk

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    I was wondering what all the kerfluffle was about then I saw the map and oooh its that part of the east coast

Uh stay safe all

icGJy2C.png
  • OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    Normally I'd make some pithy comment about how that looks like child's play or something, but, uh, that's a lot of snow for pretty much anywhere that people actually live. Stay safe, folks.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• SproutSprout Registered User regular
    Yeah, I left town for a work thing on Wednesday and am supposed to get back today, and they're currently predicting a foot of snow. They cancelled everything going through Charlotte (where my connection was), so I had to spend 2 hours on hold with the airline to reschedule my flight. Now I get to leave 2 hours before I was originally going to, and get home 5 hours later! I was considering just renting a car and driving home, but heading right into the maw of this thing seems like a poor idea.

WEATHER AND AIR TRAVEL ARE BOTH GARBAGE.

• cornellcornell Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    It's weird being on the outside looking in on a Winter Storm, being from Upstate New York, I'm generally always in the thick of it.

Good luck to those out there, stay warm, don't leave your house. etc.

cornell on
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I was in El Paso this time last year and it snowed for a couple of days
    It was bizarre

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Normally I'd make some pithy comment about how that looks like child's play or something, but, uh, that's a lot of snow for pretty much anywhere that people actually live. Stay safe, folks.

We get snow around here, but usually a few inches will shut down DC and surrounding school districts. So it's not quite as dire as Florida getting snow and having literally no snow trucks.

VRXwDW7.png
  • SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    I'm assuming this is going to be a whole lotta nothing in NYC. 6-8 inches a my dog getting annoyed at all the salt. Just like every year when we get our one mildly large dump of snow.

can you feel the struggle within?
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    we are right on the edge of the storm

gonna have some snow but shouldn't be too bad

PNk1Ml4.png
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    We're supposed to get hit super hard. City already announced that most public transportation is shutting down overnight for up to 24 hours.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Just started here (southern Maryland) and already sticking to the roads

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm glad to be in my house, watching the snow outside. People were bananas when I was driving home, the gas stations in particular are nightmares. Good news is that it's supposed to warm up early next week so things should move along ok once the initial clearing is done.

I hope.

Also the power better stay on or holy shit you guys.

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Olivaw wrote: »
    MadEddy wrote: »
    Fuck this blizzard bullshit.

Come to Texas, Eddy, be a snowbird and visit South Pax with all of our weather in the seventies.

The one time I made it down to Texas it was covered in a two inch layer of snow and ice!

Two whole inches?!? My God, you're lucky you weren't eaten when the jerky ran out!

(But seriously, that much snow is cause for concern since it freezes and thaws so rapidly and fuckin' nobody has snow tires or tire chains.)

I always get annoyed when people laugh at how Texans react to snow, but seriously, we do not have the infrastructure to deal with anything like that. If it snows in central Texas, consider businesses and schools and etc. shut down.

I used to laugh at how Texas reacted to snow.

Then Omaha, Nebraska got shut the fuck down for a day by 4 inches of snow last week. Why? Because our mayor is a penny-pinching dummy who pinched the pennies related to snow-removal, so ice from the previous snow was still on the roads when this one came a-callin'.

So yeah, unprepared infrastructure is a bitch and now can understand how easily a snow can shut down a town that just doesn't get snow that often.

ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I'm in the DC western Maryland suburbs and they're predicting around 30-36 inches for us. I've lived here for 4 years now and we've never gotten more than 12, so this is pretty crazy! My dog is gonna love it. I just hope we don't lose power.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    my cat is utterly fascinated watching the snow through the window

• Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    The status of the Nashville area right now is basically "Don't go near a god damn road."

Much more snow than we are used to and it hit about an hour and a half sooner than predicted. Over 200 reported accidents in the area, not including the rest of the state.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Work closed at 1, so didn't go in. Probably closed tomorrow.

Also, Wednesday several major roads were fucking parking lots at Midnight, so this could get bad.

Fencingsax on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    So I'm a postman as of about a month and change ago. 2 if you count not on-the-job training.

The postmasters at the other 2 offices in the county are saying don't come in if you can't safely.

Mine is telling everyone that we have to show up or we'll have it counted against us/possibly get disciplinary action.

But if the storm is as bad as it's supposed to be their's a good chance I won't even be able to get out my 1/4 mile long driveway, or barring that our road since it's township and not state and they just don't plow if it's bad enough.

I also live 45 minutes from my office and have to go over 3 mountains to get there.

Fun times.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    turtleant wrote: »
    So I'm a postman as of about a month and change ago. 2 if you count not on-the-job training.

The postmasters at the other 2 offices in the county are saying don't come in if you can't safely.

Mine is telling everyone that we have to show up or we'll have it counted against us/possibly get disciplinary action.

But if the storm is as bad as it's supposed to be their's a good chance I won't even be able to get out my 1/4 mile long driveway, or barring that our road since it's township and not state and they just don't plow if it's bad enough.

I also live 45 minutes from my office and have to go over 3 mountains to get there.

Fun times.

There has to be an OSHA thing or something.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    So the Medic Boyfriend got called into the station early and will probably be there all weekend.

He just told me they already had some news crews by to do some interviews.

• turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Fun times.

There isn't, really. Post office people are allowed to be out on the road even in a state of emergency.

So even though my boss is being a huge shitlord, they're not technically doing anything wrong. If the main office says to stay home over the hotline is about the only thing that can contradict her.

Also my neighbor is one of the other two postmasters in the county and apparently my boss was giving her shit over the phone about not forcing her employees to come in.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    Pennsylvania, near Bloomsburg is forecast to get a few inches

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Nova. Preschool teacher so no work today. Resting up for the shoveling to come.

Got my ds and girlfriends ds charged. So much fire embleming.

Also ordered pizza at 11:30. You know in case pizza is killed by the blizzard.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    game plan: pretend snow doesn't exist

miscellaneousinsanity on
    uc3ufTB.png
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »

Fun times.

There isn't, really. Post office people are allowed to be out on the road even in a state of emergency.

So even though my boss is being a huge shitlord, they're not technically doing anything wrong. If the main office says to stay home over the hotline is about the only thing that can contradict her.

Also my neighbor is one of the other two postmasters in the county and apparently my boss was giving her shit over the phone about not forcing her employees to come in.

Through rain, nor snow, nor apocalypse, shall these stop our daily rounds. Or whatever.

I saw The Postman once.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    At least its all pretty light fluffy snow so far, but god damn is it cold

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Just shoveled for the first time, doing our sidewalk and my 90 year old next door neighbor's sidewalk is too much sidewalk to shovel once. I know the worst is supposed to hit starting at 7, I might go back out around 11 just to do another sloppy pass so I'm not trying to shovel 2 fresh feet in the morning.

• Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    ... *guitar feedback*

WINTER STORM JONAS

BURYING THE WOOOORRRLLLDDD

• No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    First shoveling done, this is baby snow.

Super light, it's been 8 hours and ther'es only like 2-3 inches? Jonas is overrated imho.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    6" in Southern Maryland

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    6" in Southern Maryland

this is a good euphemism

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    We've gotten about 4" so far in DC western suburbs. I'm not even gonna bother shoveling since the worst is supposed to be starting in the middle of the night and I will be fucked if I'm going shoveling at 3 am.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126