As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pax South Pins Dissapointing

DashboardBroDashboardBro Registered User regular
I started collecting pins in 2015 when they first made pax south. I spent a fair chunk of money to start up my collection but they also had the Undead Labs pins for free. So you could get them to trade, but for 2016 you have to buy all the pins. I just don't know how to start a collection and be able to get the other 100 pins from the other paxes if you have to spend $10-$15 for pins that's over $1000 in pins to trade for the other paxes. I just don't understand how you have 60 partner pins at one pax and 4 at pax south. It's a let down.

Is there any advice you guys can give me in order to start my collection or is it to late. I would have to spend a good chunk of money to get the pin collections from the other paxes?

• Options
    darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    Just build your collection slowly.
    That's how we all did it. It cost me alot on ebay to buy a ton of pins. But pretty much collect the ones you want. Like buy show sets and just build from there. Pax South is a new Pax and it's growing. Are you going to another pax this year.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • Options
    darkinfero wrote: »
    That's how we all did it. It cost me alot on ebay to buy a ton of pins. But pretty much collect the ones you want. Like buy show sets and just build from there. Pax South is a new Pax and it's growing. Are you going to another pax this year.

I haven't decided if I'm wanna try and buy pax prime tickets I'm from Texas which is what makes it so easy to go to south I'm going to try, but I'm only 18 and don't know if my job will let me off for about a week lol

• Options
    darkinfero wrote: »

I haven't decided if I'm wanna try and buy pax prime tickets I'm from Texas which is what makes it so easy to go to south I'm going to try, but I'm only 18 and don't know if my job will let me off for about a week lol

Don't go to crazy, just do as much as you can.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    HingoHingo Minneapolis, MNRegistered User regular
    @DashboardBro if you are going to be at South this year, go to this event: http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/pinny-arcade-pin-trading-session
    Get there early. Rumor has it the Prime line capped out over an hour before the event started. South isn't nearly as hectic as Prime, but I still expect the line to cap at some point. This is your best bet to get pins from other PAXen. If you have any questions about the event, or pin trading in general, feel free to ask here, or ask anyone in line for the Pin Trading Event. There should be a "pin trading expert" within earshot of any newbie conversation in that line and this community is ridiculously helpful.

Pins for trade!
    2015 PAX Prime Omeganaut (I will forever hate Katamari)
  • Options
    Hingo wrote: »
    @DashboardBro if you are going to be at South this year, go to this event: http://south.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/pinny-arcade-pin-trading-session
    Get there early. Rumor has it the Prime line capped out over an hour before the event started. South isn't nearly as hectic as Prime, but I still expect the line to cap at some point. This is your best bet to get pins from other PAXen. If you have any questions about the event, or pin trading in general, feel free to ask here, or ask anyone in line for the Pin Trading Event. There should be a "pin trading expert" within earshot of any newbie conversation in that line and this community is ridiculously helpful.

I went to that last south and it was about a 15 min wait lol. Wasn't too bad but south isn't as packed as Prime lol

• Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    Rumor has it there may be giveaways at the Pinny panel at 10:30AM on Saturday...

• Options
    Rumor has it there may be giveaways at the Pinny panel at 10:30AM on Saturday...

Already scheduled to go! ☺️

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I will be at south looking to trade 2015 South Limted for all the other 2015 pax Limited

DashboardBro on
  • Options
    TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    I will be at south looking to trade 2015 South Cores for all the other 2015 pax cores

That honestly shouldn't be hard at all, I expect a lot of the 2015 cores to end up on trade tables. Aus might give you a little trouble, but I think they'll be around.

• Options
    I will be at south looking to trade 2015 South Cores for all the other 2015 pax cores

That honestly shouldn't be hard at all, I expect a lot of the 2015 cores to end up on trade tables. Aus might give you a little trouble, but I think they'll be around.

I meant the limited

• Options

You will find people do that. If you get a 2016 south core I will trade you my east 2015 core.

My Pin collection
  • Options
    D0rkAnglD0rkAngl Lynnwood, WARegistered User regular
    You'll be able to do some LE trades too. People that have been in for a while like trading instead of buying, which only helps you.

• Options
    D0rkAngl wrote: »
    You'll be able to do some LE trades too. People that have been in for a while like trading instead of buying, which only helps you.

this is true

My Pin collection
  • Options
    grgemonkeygrgemonkey Registered User regular
    ...but for 2016 you have to buy all the pins....I just don't understand how you have 60 partner pins at one pax and 4 at pax south. It's a let down.

Just worth mentioning this has nothing to do with PA, they try their best to get as many partners on board every PAX, there's no limit to this (well one is unlikely to ever be tested).

If only 5 partners sign up for pins, the PAX only gets 5 pins. Not a whole lot to be done about that, all we can do is try to make the hobby more appealing by growing the community and giving feedback to the partners that do support us.

As for non-purchase pins, it's just a hard fact that you need to be able to attend East and Prime. South and Aus just don't attract that sort of model other than MTG, who are unfortunately absent. If they had been there, stocking on the MTG pins is always a solid way to get a free pin that's easy to trade.

https://pinnypals.com - Be there or be your least favourite shaped pin. Pin trading and more.
    http://pinmash.info - Head-To-Head battle of pins! Choose the most desirable.
    http://pinnywise.com - iOS pin collection tracking app.
    ----
    My Delicious Pins For Trade
  • Options
    grgemonkey wrote: »
    ...but for 2016 you have to buy all the pins....I just don't understand how you have 60 partner pins at one pax and 4 at pax south. It's a let down.

Just worth mentioning this has nothing to do with PA, they try their best to get as many partners on board every PAX, there's no limit to this (well one is unlikely to ever be tested).

If only 5 partners sign up for pins, the PAX only gets 5 pins. Not a whole lot to be done about that, all we can do is try to make the hobby more appealing by growing the community and giving feedback to the partners that do support us.

As for non-purchase pins, it's just a hard fact that you need to be able to attend East and Prime. South and Aus just don't attract that sort of model other than MTG, who are unfortunately absent. If they had been there, stocking on the MTG pins is always a solid way to get a free pin that's easy to trade.

Last year the MTG pin cost $20 at pax it wasn't free but they had the two undead labs pins for free.

• Options
    SennoSenno AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Don't forget though that Magic pins will actually take time to collect - so factor that into your enjoyment of PAX as a whole. Being a proxy at PAX Aus - I had to go through the same actions multiple times to ensure that everyone was able to get a pin (plus some spares for myself). Free pins are becoming rarer these days - and they are much desired by the community as they are only available at that particular PAX. But there is the time factor to consider.

• Options
    Capt WasabiCapt Wasabi AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I really like the core set.
    But are they from a comic I don't remember?
    Is Troll Catsby, Iron Twisp and Mecha FF from anything?

• Options
    thx42thx42 SeattleRegistered User regular
    I really like the core set.
    But are they from a comic I don't remember?
    Is Troll Catsby, Iron Twisp and Mecha FF from anything?

It looks like they match the art from the program cover.