As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    kedinik wrote: »
    MMMig wrote: »
    I'm finally back from being away for basically 1.2 months. Snuck some legacy in but will now be able to actually put some effort into it!

Yeah the commanders need new maps, stat.

It was fun to try the co-op with Dhal but I think I would be bored if I played it again. There just was not a lot happening on the map.

On the other hand MMMig do you want to play ZvZ some time??!?

Aye, let's play!
    This will be my real first time playing legacy multiplayer so I'm rusty as a MOFO since I haven't truly done any kind of Starcrafting in ages. I think this weekend I'll put some serious time into multiplayer.

Carpal tunnel be damned!

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • GriswoldGriswold that's rough, buddyRegistered User regular
    Thanks for all the TvP practice offers, bros. I'm in the Penny Arcade channel when I'm on NA, but I'm not averse to hopping to other regions for practice if that's easier for other people. 200ms difference won't be the end of me, just looking for games at this point.

On the other hand, I've started 3rax Reaper'ing all my TvTs, which is a ton of fun and a great way to break up ladder monotony. It's also helping me address my (dreadful) micro and multitasking! Yay cheese!

FFXIV: Brick Shizzhouse - Zalera (Crystal)
    Path of Exile: snowcrash7
    MTG Arena: Snow_Crash#34179
    Battle.net: Snowcrash#1873
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    game 4 of ty vs patience might be the best lotv game so far

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    VODs anywhere??

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    twitch.tv/gsl

you can watch the whole cast, ty v patience is the last series

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    Alright, it is time to walk home, and walk the dog, and play the StarCraft 2.

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
    @Variable

I was able to take my experience with dying to your drops onto the ladder, where I also died to drops, hahah.

I am seeing a few possible ways forward from here:

1) Getting into the habit of keeping a small roach/ravager[/hydralisk? infestor?] force on call for chasing drops.
    2) Spores and spines near likely drop locations.
    3) Mutalisks??

Oh and also getting better at multitasking, I guess.

@kedinik static defense usually really messes me up, I'll lose units without noticing because I'm not watching every drop as closely as I should be. mutas are good for defense, maybe 5. investing a lot is bad because liberators eat them up.

Variable wrote: »
    kedinik static defense usually really messes me up, I'll lose units without noticing because I'm not watching every drop as closely as I should be. mutas are good for defense, maybe 5. investing a lot is bad because liberators eat them up.

Yeah, I think I did the best yesterday in the game where I preemptively built a few spines and spores.

I have this strong compulsion to never build static defense and just GET GOOD instead, you know?

But it looks like lots of pros always build at least a few spores to help guard against drops and liberators, so maybe it's just a good idea.

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    @Variable

I was able to take my experience with dying to your drops onto the ladder, where I also died to drops, hahah.

1) Getting into the habit of keeping a small roach/ravager[/hydralisk? infestor?] force on call for chasing drops.
    3) Mutalisks??

Overlord spread and watchtowers.

Don't worry too much about spines because they don't do enough damage to efficiently kill marines through a medivac healing (ie you'll spend more minerals in spines than the Terran will lose in marines), but spores are a great thing to have for drop defense because it limits how long the medivac can spend there before it's dead and the drop is lost.

Dhalphir on
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    Variable

3) Mutalisks??

Overlord spread and watchtowers.

Don't worry too much about spines because they don't do enough damage to efficiently kill marines through a medivac healing (ie you'll spend more minerals in spines than the Terran will lose in marines), but spores are a great thing to have for drop defense because it limits how long the medivac can spend there before it's dead and the drop is lost.

I appreciate the advice.

I'm usually pretty good about overlord spread. If anything, I spread too many overlords too far, and then the marine-drops take detours to kill lots of free overlords. It seems to add up and really slow down my economy, so I've been thinking of cutting back on my overlord spread—just keep them in the airspace near bases, maybe.

Part of the problem is my failure to split up my army when I do see a drop incoming. I'll run my whole army back and then they'll blow up my third with their main army.

Which also gets to creep spread. I'm having trouble finding a good time to work that first tumor into builds, so I think it's dangerous how late I start in on creep spread. Maybe I should just start a tumor with one of my first two queens.

Dhal do you play much these days? How are you liking LotV?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    I haven't really played enough to know what works myself, but I have had a lot of fun playing golden armada, and the various improvements to Protoss defenses mean it's not too hard to get to carriers without dying.

Maybe I should just start a tumor with one of my first two queens.

That's generally what I do when I offrace as Zerg. I don't find I have the minerals to spend all the larvae anyway. I usually skip the first inject in the main when the queen first comes out.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Directed by Jonathan Sutak

Winner, Best Short Documentary - 2015 Las Vegas International Film Festival
    Winner, Best Short Documentary - 2015 Los Angeles New Wave International Film Festival
    Nominated, Short Grand Prix - 2015 Warsaw International Film Festival

theforeigner.tv

Panda4You on
    Ah, nostalgia.

I was just telling my youngest brother a few days ago about that Idra / MMA game.

Man, those faces.

HD.

Oh god why did you have to remind me of HD????????

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    GSL has ended, dreamhack is on. I woke up too early so I have been watching.

based on the tvp that was just played at DH I have reached the verdict that adepts are very good.

haven't heard kaelaris speak in months

with 10 words he had said 'during all of this'... I almost turned the stream off. I don't want to say I can't stand the guy but the amount he says that phrase really drives me nuts. and they were just talking about brackets. ugh. find some different words, please, you've been casting for years now!

haven't heard kaelaris speak in months

with 10 words he had said 'during all of this'... I almost turned the stream off. I don't want to say I can't stand the guy but the amount he says that phrase really drives me nuts. and they were just talking about brackets. ugh. find some different words, please, you've been casting for years now!

tweet it to him

ive found GSL casters are pretty good at learning from feedback

Wolf has got WAY better.

• Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Wut? Sure, Kaelaris isn't the greatest caster but being that hung up on him seems like an issue? :) I don't mind, Nathan and Rotti is there and that's what is important!

Edit: Sweet! Basetrade are casting DH as well, Scarlet vs Lillekanin :3

Panda4You on
    edited January 2016
    I'm not that hung up on him, I never think about him when I'm not listening to him talk for a half hour+ straight :P. but when he says the same thing that often it's hard not to notice. and over years of games it's become grating.

Variable on
    TY's TvP is impressive.

Panda4You wrote: »
    Wut? Sure, Kaelaris isn't the greatest caster but being that hung up on him seems like an issue? :) I don't mind, Nathan and Rotti is there and that's what is important!

Edit: Sweet! Basetrade are casting DH as well, Scarlet vs Lillekanin :3

Scarlett fightiiiiiiiing

edited January 2016
    so here is where there will be Brood War at some point today http://afreeca.tv/nsl2

"today" (edit - oh it's in about an hour)

oh and BTW if you hit the live archive at the bottom there was an english cast monday. I had no idea! gonna watch now for sure!

@mmmig @dhalphir

I really am not specifically sure who would be interested in BW but @kedinik and @invictus since I know you two still play starcraft at least

Variable on
    Yeah I'll watch this for a while.

p.s. I fixed my PC; the CPU fan had become loose.

I don't think my link was right, apparently they're streaming it here

because they want to confuse me!

glad to hear it was a simple fix

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Man, those faces.

HD.

What happened to that guy anyway? I hope he like, went back to school or something.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    Heh, probes wrecking a bunch of hydras by themselves.

TheStig wrote: »
    Man, those faces.

HD.

What happened to that guy anyway? I hope he like, went back to school or something.

Alex had started on a new path in life and he told me that Starcraft 2 was not going to go anywhere anymore and it was passed its prime. As much as I hate to say it I believe it as well a game we both loved together, makes me feel like the knife is slowly sinking into the stomach on Starcraft 2 Esports (Roughly when MLG took SC2 off but then put it back on). Anyways Alex has now been playing poker almost everyday and he doesn't really feel motivated to stay up to date with most games, maybe when Legacy of the Void released I might be able to convince him to come back, but it doesn't seem likely. I know he was one of the all time greats back in beta with the HDH invitational and I know that if he really felt motivated to cast Starcraft again he could do it at the top level, but to see all the people that berate him in twitch chat for his casting knowledge I understood as well he didn't play the game as much as he should have and he did not watch other streams or watch other casters near the end of his time. So there I hope we can all wish him luck now on his Poker endeavors and we can cross our fingers that I can convince him to cast Legacy of the Void.

Quote attributed to HD's brother.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Dreamhack Leipzig on here now. Best TvP in Europe currently on display in Uthermal vs ShoWtime.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
    edited January 2016
    so I call them adepts like "you are adept at learning starcraft"

nathanias says adept

anyone have an opinion? I don't want to say it's grating on me and sound like I'm picking on him :P

edit - ah he just said it right! (what I think is right)

Variable on
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    so I call them adepts like "you are adept at learning starcraft"

nathanias says adept

anyone have an opinion? I don't want to say it's grating on me and sound like I'm picking on him :P

edit - ah he just said it right! (what I think is right)

i definitely pronounce it differently base don the context. whether it is the unit vs proficiency with something.

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    Afaik adept only has one pronunciation.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/adept#Pronunciation

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    i didn't say i was correct :P just something i realized as i thought about it.

Liberators OP?

Liberators OP.

They're like the new banshee.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Liberators OP?

Liberators OP.

They're like the new banshee.

That was a pretty great game.

Those holds.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Also, for the record, re: thread title, the finals are tomorrow. Just the other semifinal left today.

edited January 2016
    what was the match with the libs?

edit - I mean, what happened in it?

edit2 - oh silly me I thought mig calling libs OP meant the terran won the series :P

Variable on