As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Zune HD help

DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
I purchased a refurbished Zune HD from Newegg six or seven months ago. It's been working fine until just today, where when I plug it into my computer it tells me it's an unknown USB device and isn't recognized by the Zune software or my computer.

I go Googling for solutions and download a Microsoft-released fix for this... that doesn't fix it. I try uninstalling and reinstalling the software, that doesn't work either.

Then I find out that there's ways to reboot and reformat your Zune, so I try rebooting it and connecting it... doesn't work. Okay, so I decide to go all-in and do the reformat... after all, I've got all my stuff on my computer anyway, it's just a matter of copying it back over, right?

Except, setting the Zune to reformat makes it say "plug the Zune into your computer" and then it says "Start the Zune software on your PC and restore your Zune" and the computer is still refusing to recognize the Zune as anything but an Unknown Device. I've tried to uninstall the drivers manually but that just removes it from the list, and updating list of devices just brings it back as Unknown Device and trying to manually select where the Zune drivers are on the computer just gives me the message that the "drivers are already up to date" the drivers being Unknown Drivers.

So now I've got a Zune that my computer won't recognize and I can't use. Somebody please tell me they've dealt with this before and know how to fix it, because the first few pages of Google are not helping.

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    Maybe contact Newegg support and see if you can get a replacement?

• Options
    Maybe contact Newegg support and see if you can get a replacement?

Only had a 90 day warranty and they're listed as out of stock.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Are you certain it isn't a problem with the usb port? Verify with a different computer and cable. I've had that error before when it was the port.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I think you have a hardware failure (in lieu of anything being deliberately obsolete). Assuming you've already checked for a different port and a different cable (I think the port would be more likely the issue, hopefully the cable would be instead), that's what it sounds like.

Troubleshooting this yourself on the internet would be difficult, if only because 80% of the responses you get will be people trying to hate you to death for using an Zune HD--but this sort of issue used to be very common with MP3 players, including the iPod Touch and Zune models.

Assuming it's not the worse, but rather than switching ports, have you tried using it on a different PC? I doubt the operating system in question should be the issue, so much as your setup as a whole.

• Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    As a former owner of a Zune, I can say that mine also turned into a brick after a few months. Of course it wasn't a Zune HD, but I wouldn't be surprised if the quality is the same.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    As a former owner of a Zune, I can say that mine also turned into a brick after a few months. Of course it wasn't a Zune HD, but I wouldn't be surprised if the quality is the same.

It's all up in the air. I had a Zune 80 for years before I sold it, and I've had a Zune HD since 2009 (apparently), and it still works--I would've sold it but it's custom engraved.

On the other hand, I'm always super wary of buying refurbished stuff, but that's basically demanded with old electronics.

• Options
    Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    I've had a zune 120 for at least 6 years sitting in my car day in day out all year long through 100 degree days and 0 degree nights.

still works.

• Options
    Update on Zune status: After far too long of having it sit under a pile of papers because life's been hectic, I remembered about it and dug it out, installed the Zune client on my girlfriend's computer, and plugged my Zune in. It was recognized by her computer and went through the reformat process without a hitch. I've now got it plugged back into my computer where it's registering correctly, and am in the process of loading up albums again.

Don't know why it started acting up and not syncing to my computer, but I guess if it acts funny again I'll plug it into her computer before trying to wipe it. Thanks for your help, everybody.