As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

StarCraft: Rumors of Starcraft 3 where as real as a full night's sleep.

• InvictusInvictus Registered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    what was the match with the libs?

edit - I mean, what happened in it?

edit2 - oh silly me I thought mig calling libs OP meant the terran won the series :P

It was the best TvP in Europe vs the best protoss in Europe, and uThermal made Drogo look silly in at least one of those games.

Generalísimo de Fuerzas Armadas de la República Argentina
  • Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    It was nice seeing Bly evening the score against Violet last night, even though he did it with cheese, but when he just wins the ace game with boss skills after that noone can give im shit for it. BLY HWAITIIING!

https://youtu.be/PoAM2AD0g1s

• kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    "Planet Crackers"

I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    adept is always prononuced with a short a, ah-dept

the long a is just incorrect pronunciation full stop.

It looks like the Dreamhack finals begin in 4 hours?

Maybe I should stay up drinking coffee.

Fuck, that early? :( I'm at work until afternoon, shit starts 11am

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The two different pronunciations of adept are the different forms of the word. AAAA-dept is the noun form: someone who is very good at something. "He is very skilled with computers, a true adept." aa-DEPT is the adjectival form, modifying another noun. "She was adept at hunting."

• YiliasYilias Registered User regular
    ah-dept and uh-dept sound essentially the same to me. I thought we were complaining about people saying ay-dept?

Steam - BNet: Yilias #1224 - Riot: Yilias #moc
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    say it to yourself and then listen to nathanias say it

I didn't mean aydept at any point. very hard to explain with text but imo he says it weird. never meant it to go on for this long :P

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    uH...When did DH start? TL told me 15 mins ago, but it's already 3-1.

2h ago, according to kedinik?

• MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    See?

Soon.
    :(

l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
    games also go really quickly now. the worker change but also it being the start of an xpac

@mmmig did you watch any brood war?!?!!!?!?!???!?!!!

Dreamhack finals.
    According to Tod, Bly had almost entirely forgotten attack and armor upgrades when the maxed-out armies clashed in game 3.

I guess that makes sense. I had been surprised by how long it was taking the protoss stuff to die.

But Tod is also right that it was bad to walk out into the protoss army in the first place. Odd fight.

I was also surprised Drogo didn't walk past the lurkers and blow up the fourth; I think there were maybe about 15 zerg army supply left on the map?

@mmmig did you watch any brood war?!?!!!?!?!???!?!!!

Alas, I missed it. Got stuck excavating in Hoth in search for a car I supposedly own.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    there are vods @mmmig twitch.tv/gsl the most recent cast is the finals

only pestering you about it because it should make you happy!

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    there are vods @mmmig twitch.tv/gsl the most recent cast is the finals

only pestering you about it because it should make you happy!

You are a fine gentleman, Mr. Variable. Thanks for reminding me.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I don't know if this is weird or not, but are adepts just bad reapers with respect to PvZ?

WingedWeasel on
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    The wife and I played co-op last night. That was a lot of fun! I'm hoping they add more scenarios soon.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    Bly's macro inspired me to macro a little better the next day.

Got my first three bases running faster than usual and took gas at better times. And did a better job of shifting drones between bases as mineral patches mined out.

edited January 2016
    fun article with lots of vods!

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/starcraft-2/502858-the-best-games-of-2015

edit - wow 3 of the games are dream vs life. hell of a rivalry.

Variable on
    I stayed awake through most of the GSL's ZvZ series.

I am glad, at least, that GSL players also seem to have no stable understanding of the knifefight that is ZvZ.

edited January 2016
    So what do terrans think about the patch? I'm concerned that the following will happen:

The revised photon overcharge will make protoss play not quite as greedy while opening up some early timings for terran, meaning that P has to invest more into defense. Also early midgame adept harass will still work, it just will not work as well, allowing terrans, combined with not quite as greedy protoss play, to enter the midgame on even econ.

The problem is that I'm concerned even econ going into the mid-late game is realllllly bad for protoss. Liberators are so good against protoss that some of my very best games in LotV have been macro PvTs that I lost. If protoss loses a reliable method of gaining some advantage, I dunno guys. Maybe mix up with oracles?

Thoughts?

Invictus on
    Does protoss win the super late game? That's not rhetorical I honestly don't know. Is it viable to try and get an advantage via warp prism shenanigans, then assuming that fails to yield results try and drag the game out beyond the "liberators are floating death" phase and take over late game?

Are void rays even viable as an answer to liberators?

• DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    No, Terran has the ultimate lategame advantage in TvP.

Mechanical question for warp ins. I have an unfortunate habit of mistakenly left clicking on a unit that I am warping in resulting in the obvious problem of stopping said warp in round. Is it a better of just leaving more space between warp ins so as to not mistakenly click on something or can I just hold something to try and spam whatever I am trying to warp in? Hope that makes sense.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Life got arrested

UUUUUUHHHHHHH

Bull.

BULL.

l4lGvOw.png

wra
    Mechanical question for warp ins. I have an unfortunate habit of mistakenly left clicking on a unit that I am warping in resulting in the obvious problem of stopping said warp in round. Is it a better of just leaving more space between warp ins so as to not mistakenly click on something or can I just hold something to try and spam whatever I am trying to warp in? Hope that makes sense.

I just hold the button associated with the relevant unit down and click as fast as I can. Phoenix lift up micro works similarly.

don't tempests do well against libs? I'm not sure it's established who has the best late game army

don't tempests do well against libs? I'm not sure it's established who has the best late game army

Man, the tempest transition is so hard. Bio is so efficient you have to go AoE first, then transition from there, but it's hard to win those fights while the tempests are coming up.

Invictus wrote: »

Man, the tempest transition is so hard. Bio is so efficient you have to go AoE first, then transition from there, but it's hard to win those fights while the tempests are coming up.

That's what I figured. I thought going golden armada would work but a bunch of marines would seemingly chew through everything too quickly.

gateway heavy featuring adepts -> storm -> tempest seems to be the goal

not calling it easy by any means but I don't think it's fair to simply say T wins the late game.

edited January 2016

Yeah it's not clear to me that liberators are overwhelmingly powerful in TvP.

Ty has maybe the best LotV TvP right now, yeah?

He got lots of liberators in a big long macro TvP, but I don't think that gave him a very clear or big advantage.

Protoss kept shifting its army in order to either threaten a flank attack on the liberators or else to threaten infrastructure away from the liberators. It forced an awful lot of unsiege-move-resiege micro out of TY and it looked difficult for the liberators to keep up.

Occasionally stalkers would get a good flank and kill lots of liberators for free or for cheap, and in that game I don't think TY was ever able to use the main force of liberators as anything other than a micro-intensive and somewhat slow defensive tool.

kedinik on
    Says the guy who never plays either side of TvP.

edited January 2016
    kedinik wrote: »

in a discussion with a guy who doesn't actually start the game up (me)

I'm pretty sure that variable is the only one who is actually consistently laddering in this game for the last, like, three years

Dhalphir on
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    kedinik wrote: »

in a discussion with a guy who doesn't actually start the game up

I'm pretty sure that variable is the only one who is actually consistently laddering in this game for the last, like, three years

Excuse me Dhal I am an active student of not just the ladder but also the Variable TvZ Dojo.

By the way Vari I am heading home in a little while. How would you rate your desire to drop mineral lines on a scale of 1 to 10.

Nah but I did fall off the wagon pretty hard for the last 3 years.

I was kind of surprised that the new GSL season got me laddering again.

I am heading out now, when I get home I'll get into SC2 or d3 or whatever and as soon as you see me shoot me a message. at most 2 hours from now, probably less.

I only played 1 day this week, 6 or so games. I'm not exactly a ladder monster but I suppose almost any play puts most of the old crowd to shame at this point.

but if anyone wants some inspiration twitch.tv/gsl has 2 more days of vods from this week you probably haven't seen!