As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game of the Year 2015 - RESULTS!

2»

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    man, as much as I go to bat for FF7
    I actually think ocarina is a better game

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    As for my GOTY list, I played fast and loose with it this year. Three of the games in my top ten did not see their first release during the calendar year of 2015, but saw a re-release of some sorts (Destiny, Final Fantasy VII, The Talos Principle)

Next year, I'll probably play even faster and looser and just say "here's the best games I played in 2016." For example, right now I'm playing GTAV on PS4. I played it upon release back on PS3, and got maybe a quarter of the way through the story, I was digging it but got distracted by other things. Now I'm finally sitting down and playing through it and absolutely loving it, I'm actually kind of astounded by just how good it is, and it'll likely end up on my 2016 list despite seeing no release in any form in 2016.
    man, as much as I go to bat for FF7
    I actually think ocarina is a better game

I think Ocarina is more influential, and the games it inspired, I like a lot more: Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, Darksiders

But I can still play FFVII and have a fantastic time (I did it late last year with the re-release on PS4), but Ocarina, even playing the 3DS version, I just find hard to do nowadays. I don't think it aged particularly well, especially when everything about it was done better by its successors.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    FFVII had nice character development and cool plot contrivances

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    Herein i realize most of the games i played in 2015 came out before 2015.

• Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    ... there is a game on that list titled I Can Feel It Coming In the Air Tonight

I dont care i must play that game

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Barcardi wrote: »

Drum Solo:

Ba da da da ba dum

orthanc
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    2015 was a fucking excellent year.

Like there are a good 50+ games I could say are worth playing.

• Options
    Orthanc wrote: »
    Barcardi wrote: »

Drum Solo:

Ba da da da ba dum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdVoc8FXhz0

• Options
    OrthancOrthanc Death Lite, Only 1 Calorie Off the end of the internet, just turn left.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I have never seen a gorilla so intently focused on anything.

Just goes to show, if you try hard enough you can overcome the lack of opposable thumbs.

orthanc
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Bloodborne is my GOTY 2015 pick. Easily the most fun/captivating experience I had all year.

• Options
    MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    I was super stoked to add a bunch of games to my list, thinking I'd had a ton of fun playing them, like bloodborne

then I realized I'd actually had a ton of fun watching other people play them

l3icwZV.png
  • Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    For me,

Bloodborne is the best game. Also the best aesthetic. I never really got into the souls games before, but I always loved their design, particularly the monsters and bosses. Bloodborne nicely keeps up with the quality there.
    Until Dawn is probably the best surprise. For a game that I had no idea was in development, yet was intended to be for last generation, then was rebuilt from the ground up you'd never know. It looks great, is very engaging and the acting is surprisingly good. Not really Oscar good, but you know. And the guy who plays Mike should be a template for other game actors in regards to adding a lot of personality to line delivery.
    Soma is the most interesting game. Fascinating, thought-invoking premise, and great atmosphere/design. It's something that I'd urge people who don't normally care about games to at least watch a playthrough of. Not that I'd be successful.
    If I played it I'm sure Undertale would be on my list, because from what little I saw and the other things I've heard make it sound like my sort of thing. Hopefully I'll stop procrastinating and get around to it soon.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I only played two games from last year. One was Gat Out of Hell, the second best Saints Row game that I've played (best is SR3). The other was Undertale, which is pretty much my Game of All Time.

Gat Out of Hell felt like a natural progression from SR3. SR3 was real fun but once you've 100%ed the game you really start to crave the ability to just get from one side of the map to the other easily. Then in SR4 you get superpowers, and it's like "great! that's just what I wanted." Except that you can't fly. And that kind of sucks. Then GoOH comes along and flying is awesome! It made the game super fun to play. The only downside was the lack of plot.

Undertale, as I said, is my Game of All Time. Mainly because I've never been that invested in a game's plot before. For me, 'plot', 'story' and 'characters' are just stuff that get in the way of actually playing the game. So I was surprised when a RPG had plot, story and characters that I cared about somehow.

• Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    I wasn't impressed by much at all from last year, though I'm PC only.
    My only two real highlights were HLM2 (goty) and Vermintide.

Dying Light was somewhat of a disappointment and I've never played a Witcher, sooo... My friends seem very pleased with W3 though.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    Life is Strange, Witcher 3 and Ori and the Blind Forest are games I shan't soon forget. There were other good games, but those three are supreme to me

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowhopeShadowhope Baa. Registered User regular

My top three were a bit of a surprise to me. But I think that one of my criteria for them is just that I enjoyed all of them enough to get most or all of the achievements, that I happily put tons and tons of hours into them.

3. Ori and the Blind Forest is incredibly pretty and sounds amazing. Gameplay wise, it's like a Super Nintendo game that never was but should have been. The difficulty level was absolutely perfect, barring maybe one sequence. More so than the games I have at #2 and #1, I can see myself playing Ori ten and twenty years from now and enjoying it just as much.

2. Life is Strange. Bae before Bay or GTFO.

1. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. I know, I know! But I had more fun with the adorably murderous scamps of Syndicate than I did anything else this year. It was super pretty. Grand Theft Carriage was surprisingly endearing. And the psychopathic ragamuffin duo of Evie and Jacob Frye are just great. I had more fun with Syndicate than anything else in gaming this year, and that's enough for me.

Civics is not a consumer product that you can ignore because you don’t like the options presented.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Witcher 3 is a close second for me. A very, very, very close second. I think if Bloodborne's co-op weren't as fun as it is, Witcher 3 would've taken the prize.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Crossposting from the original thread:
    Stilts wrote: »
    You voted for:
    1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC, PS4, XBO)
    2. Tales from the Borderlands (X360, XBO, Mobile, PS4, PC, PS3)
    3. Undertale (PC)
    4. Life Is Strange (PC, PS4, PS3, X360, XBO)
    5. Splatoon (WiiU)
    6. Ori and the Blind Forest (XBO, PC)
    7. Until Dawn (PS4)
    8. Assassin's Creed Chronicles: China (PC, PS4, XBO)
    9. Soma (PC, PS4)
    10. Heroes of the Storm (PC)
    11. Assassin's Creed Syndicate (PS4, XBO, PC)
    12. Pillars of Eternity (PC)
    13. Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU)
    14. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture (PS4)
    15. Her Story (PC, Mobile)
    16. Lara Croft Go (Mobile, WP)
    17. Persona 4: Dancing All Night (PSVita)
    18. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void (PC)
    19. Dragon Ball: Xenoverse (PS4, PS3, X360, XBO, PC)
    20. Fallout 4 (PC, PS4, XBO)

Everything after 11 should basically be considered to be ties for 12th and 13th place.

Also I just realized I somehow missed MGSV, but I'm conflicted enough about that game that I'm okay forgetting it. It wasn't getting into the top 10 anyway.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Orthanc wrote: »
    I have never seen a gorilla so intently focused on anything.

Just goes to show, if you try hard enough you can overcome the lack of opposable thumbs.

Gorillas have opposable thumbs. They also have opposable TOES.

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    I didn't play a single new game last year. Is there a release date for the new mass effect yet

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I didn't play a single new game last year. Is there a release date for the new mass effect yet
    Holiday 2016.

sig.gif
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Holiday 2016.

I feel like the odds of them hitting this target are low

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    5. Downwell
    4. Rocket League
    3. Bloodborne
    2. Cities: Skylines
    1. Witcher 3

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Until Dawn

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    Holiday 2016.

I feel like the odds of them hitting this target are low
    I agree, but that's what they've announced thus far.

sig.gif
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    You voted for:
    1. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC, PS4, XBO)
    2. Splatoon (WiiU)
    3. EarthBound Beginnings (WiiU)
    4. Affordable Space Adventures (WiiU)
    5. The Legend of Zelda: Tri Force Heroes (3DS)
    6. Undertale (PC)
    7. Xenoblade Chronicles X (WiiU)
    8. Transformers: Devastation (PC, PS4, PS3, XBO, X360)

I really liked this year for what it was but it was not nearly as heavy as the year before in terms of whoop-ass games and experiences

Witcher 3 was way above anything from 2014 and Splatoon clowns on everything on a mechanical level, but I remember my 2014 list being bigger and... plumper?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    mine came out like this

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PC, PS3, PS4, X360, XBO)
    2. Yoshi's Woolly World (WiiU)
    3. Bloodborne (PS4)
    4. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (PC, PS4, XBO)
    5. Mortal Kombat X (Mobile, PC, PS4, XBO)
    6. Transformers: Devastation (PC, PS4, PS3, XBO, X360)
    7. Tales from the Borderlands (X360, XBO, Mobile, PS4, PC, PS3)
    8. Heroes of the Storm (PC)
    9. Broken Age Act 2 (PC)
    10. Catlateral Damage (PC, Ouya)
    11. Fallout 4 (PC, PS4, XBO)

there were a handful of great releases from 2015 I won't be getting to till this year mostly due to laziness/funds like splatoon, asscreed, and axiom verge and some others, but goddamn were the top 4 on my list really really good (imo)

Daebunz on
    7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    #IDaRB is an underrated game this year

• Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited February 2016
    Hey folks, results are here.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch