As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2016 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

• japesterjapester Registered User regular
    Angrypasta wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but what is the best/cheapest way to get from the San Antonio airport to the downtown area?

The airport is close to downtown, so it's literally a straight shot south less than 9 miles. We don't have light rail, only buses. And while they are inexpensive, the trip will involve some walking and take an hour. If your hotel doesn't offer some kind of shuttle service, I think the hired car of your choice (cab/uber/lyft) should be reasonable for such a short trip. Uber and Lyft pulled out of SA last year, but I know Uber is back and I believe Lyft is, as well. The official "downtown" is also rather compact, so if you choose some kind of group ride that at least gets you near the Alamo or Riverwalk, almost any hotel should be at most a 10 minute walk. :)

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    japester wrote: »
    Apologies if this has been asked before, but what is the best/cheapest way to get from the San Antonio airport to the downtown area?

The airport is close to downtown, so it's literally a straight shot south less than 9 miles. We don't have light rail, only buses. And while they are inexpensive, the trip will involve some walking and take an hour. If your hotel doesn't offer some kind of shuttle service, I think the hired car of your choice (cab/uber/lyft) should be reasonable for such a short trip. Uber and Lyft pulled out of SA last year, but I know Uber is back and I believe Lyft is, as well. The official "downtown" is also rather compact, so if you choose some kind of group ride that at least gets you near the Alamo or Riverwalk, almost any hotel should be at most a 10 minute walk. :)

I posted this a few pages back, but the info is current for this year. I am not local, so any of them feel free to correct this.
    Go Shuttle $34 (roundtrip) $19 (1-Way)
    Uberx $16-22 (1-Way). And at least $30 for the other versions.
    Lyft $23 (1-Way)
    Taxi $30 (1-Way)

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    And I'll add this to the price list:
    Bus: $1.30

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Also, look around the airport. Look for other paxers. A cab cost 25 bucks from the airport to the grandhyatt/convention center. Last year, when I was by myself, I asked if someone was heading that way and 5 of us shared a cab and it was only 5 bucks a piece.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    In my experience at Prime, generally the order the bands are listed are the order in which they perform. Which makes the entry in the schedule for Friday's concerts kind of confusing:
    The first night of concerts is a doozy! You are so lucky! We are going to blow the doors off the place with Bit Brigade, The Returners, and The Protomen! Be sure to check it out.

Panelists:
    Bit Brigade, The Protomen, The Returners

Which is correct?

Is there any way you could add some details for a visitor would be able to navigate the bus from the airport to the Riverwalk? Which route number? How often it comes by? Stuff like that.

• OpSteelOpSteel neighbor of the village pindiot Fort Worth TEXASRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »

Is there any way you could add some details for a visitor would be able to navigate the bus from the airport to the Riverwalk? Which route number? How often it comes by? Stuff like that.

Never taken the San Antonio buses but a quick google search provided the below.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+Antonio+International+Airport,+9800+Airport+Blvd,+San+Antonio,+TX+78216/Henry+B.+Gonzalez+Convention+Center,+E+Market+St,+San+Antonio,+TX/@29.4746841,-98.5188887,13z/am=t/data=!3m2!4b1!5s0x865c58a9fe70f51b:0x664d9fb439dcaf22!4m14!4m13!1m5!1m1!1s0x865c8abbb1cb8027:0xfa6173ab1a2fcc52!2m2!1d-98.4683484!2d29.5311973!1m5!1m1!1s0x865c5f516a9b9153:0xec6991037e41b410!2m2!1d-98.4844547!2d29.4205655!3e3?hl=en

• MrBroadstoneMrBroadstone Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Gladly. Here's a re-summary of the bus option.

tl;dr: Find and take bus #5 from airport. Bus is on west side of terminal B. $1.30 Exact change. Use your smartphone map & GPS and don't go south of your hotel. You take exactly 1 bus.

Long version:
    Are you interested in the bus option? You trade time for money to make it cheap. This one is easier because basically you're going to sit on the same bus the entire time. You can get crafty on your own if you want to switch buses. This gets you into downtown next to the western-most PAX hotels for cheap.

What's awesome about this? ONE BUS to rule them all. No crazy transfers. Get on at airport. Get off in downtown. Get a beer on the riverwalk CVS and check-in to your hotel. You did know you can buy a 6-pack of beer and drink it walking on the riverwalk? Just don't go on the street with the open bottle.

Anyways.

The bus starts at the airport, yeah?

The bus starts as follows at San Antonio International Airport:
    "Go to the Lower Roadway (Arrivals/Baggage Level in Terminal A and B), across the marked crosswalk to the outer curb.
    VIA's stop will be located on the far West end of Terminal B, clearly marked."
    -- http://www.sanantonio.gov/SAT/GroundTransportation/PublicTransportation.aspx

Lower end, west side, B Terminal. B Terminal is American and United. West is the far end of B away from A.
    The pillar as of last year had blue placard on it that has a bus logo and "VIA" below it.

The bus number is 5. From a bit of research, it's probably the only bus. It'll say "5 McCULLOUGH" on it.

Oh look, a bus (with the stop in the picture too!)
    https://www.google.com/maps/@29.5277269,-98.4735194,3a,76.2y,34.9h,78.89t/am=t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1shK5SPJHxVexmfjW1fENViA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

The schedule of the bus has airport departures at the following times M-F (and particularly, Thursday):
    5:29, 5:49, 6:07, 6:25, 6:45, 7:05, 7:25, 7:45, 8:03, 8:23, 8:43, 9:03, 9:23, 9:48, 10:18, 10:47, 11:20, 11:50, 12:20 PM, 12:50 PM, 1:20 PM, 1:49 PM, 2:14 PM, 2:34 PM, 2:53 PM, 3:13 PM, 3:34 PM, 3:49 PM, 4:13 PM, 4:33 PM, 4:53 PM, 5:13 PM, 5:33 PM, 6:10 PM, 6:40 PM, 7:10 PM, 7:40 PM, 8:43 PM, 9:44 PM
    -- http://www.viainfo.net/Shared/ViewAttachment.aspx?AttachmentId=6857
    Yes, 9:44 PM is the last bus. Sorry.

Crazy city bus effect: The bus will change numbers from 5 to 30 near downtown.
    Until the bus changes numbers, you really don't want to get off the bus. It'll be a long walk. Unless you've got one of those hotels that is already a long way north of the convention center.

What stops am I looking for?!?

Get off at any of these stops, which occur very shortly after the bus # switch.
    "St. Mary's Between Travis & Houston" (not as good, but this is the first usable stop)
    "St. Mary's and Commerce"
    "St. Mary's & Villita"
    -- http://www.viainfo.net/Shared/ViewAttachment.aspx?AttachmentId=6862

These PAX hotels are awesome for these stops:
    Holiday Inn Riverwalk
    Courtyard by Marriott San Antonio Riverwalk
    Omni La Mansion Del Rio Hotel
    Drury Inn and Suites Riverwalk
    Drury Plaza Hotel - San Antonio Riverwalk
    Westin Riverwalk Hotel

Other 'close' hotels I'd advise you just get off now.

Did you miss those exits?
    Look and listen for "Cesar Chavez Blvd". Get the heck off the bus if you hit a stop with this in the name, then walk.

The last useful stop is "Cesar Chavez Blvd & S. Alamo", which puts you at the southwest corner of the greenspace that has the convention center in it. The convention center is right next to that Tower of the Americas, which is a good landmark.

The bus is really useful if you're hotel is in side loop of the riverwalk. If you're hotel is in the northeast, you've got a slight walk from the bus stop. But hey, $1.30 is a lot cheaper than $30 or more.

How do I get back to the airport?
    I didn't research it. Besides, you'll probably be in a rush on Monday, unlike Thursday afternoon when most people probably arrive.

MrBroadstone on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    In my experience at Prime, generally the order the bands are listed are the order in which they perform. Which makes the entry in the schedule for Friday's concerts kind of confusing:
    The first night of concerts is a doozy! You are so lucky! We are going to blow the doors off the place with Bit Brigade, The Returners, and The Protomen! Be sure to check it out.

Panelists:
    Bit Brigade, The Protomen, The Returners

Which is correct?
    from what I have heard there's some discrepancies on the order of the bands. I believe one of the band members from the returners posted in here somewhere about that issue with the schedule. I'll see if I can find it.

• PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    Hey I know in the FAQ on page 1 it talks about when to line up being up to the individual, but I'm hoping for a little bit more info. I really want to see Q&A1 right after the keynote. I don't care if I'm in the very back of the room. Should I get there at 8:00 and get straight in line for the keynote in order to still be in the room for the Q&A, or could I even skip the keynote and line up 30-60 minutes before the 10:30 Q&A and still have a shot at getting in?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Your best bet would be to follow the @PAX_Lines twitter account to see what the line looks like. Anything else we say here would just be guessing.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    ]
    Hey I know in the FAQ on page 1 it talks about when to line up being up to the individual, but I'm hoping for a little bit more info. I really want to see Q&A1 right after the keynote. I don't care if I'm in the very back of the room. Should I get there at 8:00 and get straight in line for the keynote in order to still be in the room for the Q&A, or could I even skip the keynote and line up 30-60 minutes before the 10:30 Q&A and still have a shot at getting in?

I believe the keynote in the main hall isn't emptied for the first q&a so you'll want to make sure to get in to the keynote.

That is correct, the keynote does not empty, so if you line up for it you are guaranteed a spot for the Q&A. Otherwise, you will have to check in with the PAX_Lines twitter account and/or stop by the theater to see if it looks like there might be room.

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    YoungFrey wrote: »
    japester wrote: »

I posted this a few pages back, but the info is current for this year. I am not local, so any of them feel free to correct this.
    Go Shuttle $34 (roundtrip) $19 (1-Way)
    Uberx $16-22 (1-Way). And at least $30 for the other versions.
    Lyft $23 (1-Way)
    Taxi $30 (1-Way)

I think I hopped on a shuttle van with several PAX people last year and it was $10 apiece. I'll use that or take Uber

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • 52max52max Registered User regular
    I haven't seen any tournament threads pop up, and I'm looking for more details about hand held tourney's. Any ETA for those?

• TarczaTarcza Registered User new member
    Any information regarding what Pen and Paper games will be going on and how to sign up, specifically and D&D 5e One Shots?

• gunadicgunadic Registered User regular
    The opening of the new part of the Convention Center won't have any impact on PAX will it? The maps look like it only really covers the old bits.

I am under the impression that it was not ready in time for planning to incorporate it. I would look for it to be used next year.

• PreacherChePreacherChe Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Anyone know exactly where bag checks will occur? I've searched forums and maps, but can't spot where they'll be taking place. I'm hoping it's somewhere toward a main entrance, so you don't get stopped when going from like the expo hall to the tabletop area. (I also asked @Official_PAX last night during Q&A, but never got an answer.)

f71belxn5ee5.png
  • BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    Anyone know exactly where bag checks will occur? I've searched forums and maps, but can't spot where they'll be taking place. I'm hoping it's somewhere toward a main entrance, so you don't get stopped when going from like the expo hall to the tabletop area. (I also asked @Official_PAX last night during Q&A, but never got an answer.)

Bag checks are before you enter the main building. You won't get checked when moving from expo to tabletop.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    gunadic wrote: »
    The opening of the new part of the Convention Center won't have any impact on PAX will it? The maps look like it only really covers the old bits.

The only impact it has is that some of the area that was the Expo Hall last year is closed off and PAX has shifted some areas to include what was used for a different conference last year. Next year there will be tons of additional space for expansion.

B2YfFSb.png
  • scruffleupagusscruffleupagus Registered User new member
    Out of curiosity, are there any PAX logos that are available for use? I would like to use a PAX logo for a PAX South article, but could not really find a valid logo one way or another. Using Google's usage rights tool via image search yielded no results, which leads me to think there are not any. Also searching for a "PAX press kit" just yields a vaping site -_- Any advice? Thanks in advance!

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Beker wrote: »

Bag checks are before you enter the main building. You won't get checked when moving from expo to tabletop.

So, any time you enter the main building, your bag will be checked. Correct? So, if I leave for lunch and come back, the bag will be checked again?

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Correct

Out of curiosity, are there any PAX logos that are available for use? I would like to use a PAX logo for a PAX South article, but could not really find a valid logo one way or another. Using Google's usage rights tool via image search yielded no results, which leads me to think there are not any. Also searching for a "PAX press kit" just yields a vaping site -_- Any advice? Thanks in advance!
    contact pax_media@paxsite.com

• japesterjapester Registered User regular
    I just hope they don't skimp on bag check stations. People tend to come and go constantly during they day, and that can cause major bottlenecks. I know I pop out to my car quite a bit, either to drop off purchases or to retrieve stuff like board games, so I'll plan appropriately for the extra hurdle.

• DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Random question: Are there any places I can easily refill a refillable water bottle? I want to stay hydrated during this trip and am not sure if I want to keep buying a bunch of water bottles. X3

Is there any kind of Target or whatever where I could buy a big pack of water bottles of not?

• O.F.FascistO.F.Fascist South TexasRegistered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Random question: Are there any places I can easily refill a refillable water bottle? I want to stay hydrated during this trip and am not sure if I want to keep buying a bunch of water bottles. X3

Is there any kind of Target or whatever where I could buy a big pack of water bottles of not?

There are water fountains here and there. As for bulk water there are a few convenience stores downtown but I couldn't tell you where the closest one is, IIRC correctly there is also a Walgreens somewhere downtown but I don't think very close.

• AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    There is a rite aid or Walgreens or something of that vein a few blocks from the center.

I think it's a couple of blocks past the Whataburger.

At least it was there last year.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies

It isn't like PAX PrimeWest where there is really good shopping the area. But the CVS and Walgreens will keep you alive.
    CVS (0.2 mi)
    Walgreens(0.3 mi)

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular

In addition to the regular water fountains around, I've seen at least one specifically designed to refill water bottles right outside the Classic Arcade room. probably some more scattered about.

-Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
    whypick1 wrote: »
    Will Call should be open by late afternoon Thursday (~2-3).

edit: Just found out Registration has moved. It is now in the Gallery room of the Henry B, a bit further west than the location indicated on the above map, near the corner of Alamo and Market.

Anyone know how late Will Call will be open on Thursday? We'll be getting in on Thursday night and I'd love to pick up before the madness on Friday.

f71belxn5ee5.png
  • SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    Will Call should be open by late afternoon Thursday (~2-3).

edit: Just found out Registration has moved. It is now in the Gallery room of the Henry B, a bit further west than the location indicated on the above map, near the corner of Alamo and Market.

Anyone know how late Will Call will be open on Thursday? We'll be getting in on Thursday night and I'd love to pick up before the madness on Friday.

Officially they close at 5pm, but they might stay open a little later.

IhtGIyi.png
    SkeleVader wrote: »

6pm actually

• SkeleVaderSkeleVader Your Friendly Dark Lord of Destruction Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    SkeleVader wrote: »

6pm actually

This is the latest tweet I see where they address the issue:

Did they post something different elsewhere?

SkeleVader on
    IhtGIyi.png
    Hmmm, something not-public said 6. I will assume it's 5 since that's what's been tweeted officially.

If I give my will call receipt to someone else, can they pick up the badges from will call in my place?

f71belxn5ee5.png
  • CodextehFishCodextehFish Vancouver, CanadaRegistered User regular
    If I give my will call receipt to someone else, can they pick up the badges from will call in my place?

I just picked mine up and they asked for ID. I doubt they will let someone else pick them up.

Attendee:
    Prime: '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15
    West: '16, '17
    East: '14, '15, '16, '17
    South: '15, '16, '17, '18
    Correct, photo ID of the person who purchased the badges is required to pick them up.

This discussion has been closed.