As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PSO2] Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genesis is essentially PSO3!

• IceBurnerIceBurner It's cold and there are penguins.Registered User regular
    I've played PSO2 since the closed beta, and always wondered why there was no topic on PA. Finally remembered the MMO sub forum exists today. My hours are funny, but I play on ship 2 with cast hunter Excelion, caseal ranger Hyperion, and human layabout goof Goodemhart. Is there anyone else on PA still playing?

3DS: 3024-6114-2886 | NNID: Rabites | Steam: IceBurner
    PSN: theIceBurner, IceBurnerEU, IceBurner-JP | X-Link Kai: TheIceBurner
    Dragon's Dogma: 192 Warrior Linty | 80 Strider Alicia | 32 Mage Terra
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    I keep meaning to fire it up again - I have it installed and reasonably up to date and all...

But I really need people to play with, because I can only solo grind so long. I've only used a single char, mainly running anything that feels like HUnewearl. (Braver or Fighter paired with Techer usually)

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
    Haven't we also played Monster Hunter together?

My gaming time for PSO2 and MH is the same: in the late morning and afternoon, and again for a bit after midnight, Pacific time, plus any days off. I'm on PSO2 frequently.

We might have - I didn't play a ton with PA folks but I did some.

Just had an amazing run with Magatsu. The MPA utterly smashed the boss before it reached even the first gate on SH, four times in a row.

So many excubes.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I want it to be officially available, but I'm sure Sega has run the numbers, and all six of us that want to play aren't enough to fund the localization.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited August 2015
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I want it to be officially available, but I'm sure Sega has run the numbers, and all six of us that want to play aren't enough to fund the localization.

Want to know the insane part? The Philippines version of the game is already in English (at least all the text anyway).

A while back people got all excited when the Filipino (South-East Asian) version no longer IP-blocked people from the West. Finally you could legit play the game in English without having to jump through hoops! Turned out it was a bug with their latest patch and they were quick to correct it. :(

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I heard that translation was pretty bad, fwiw.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    edited August 2015
    Really, anyone wanting to play PSO2 should just play the Japanese version with the English patch from ARKS-Layer. With how far the Tweaker has come there's no effort required any longer. The biggest English-speaking player bases are on Ships 2, 4, and 10, with 2 having the most, and 4/10 being more cozy.

Even if there were an official Western release at this point (and the PS4 version offered the best shot for it considering PS4 sales in NA have thoroughly stomped its sales in Japan), there's so much collaboration material in PSO2 from anime and other games (most of them SEGA-published in Japan) it wouldn't be cost-effective to replace it all; it would just get dropped. I could even see them going the PSPo2 route and dropping voice acting outside of player character voices and rendered scenes, too.

The non-parity of content also kills dead the already-slim possibility of offering account transfers off the Japanese ships. After 3+ years, long-time players are pretty heavily invested in the version they've been playing, so most of the non-Japanese player base wouldn't budge even if given the chance. I know I wouldn't be willing to give up my characters on Ship 2, and neither would the people I regularly play with.

IceBurner on
  • KabitzyKabitzy find me in Monsbaiya Registered User regular
    So, I'm actually downloading this as we speak. I've gotten mega burnt out in FFXIV with savage alex and decided for a change of pace... Any PA folk still playing this on the reg? Ship 2 where they at?

W7ARG.png Don't try and sell me any junk.
    Bother me on steam: kabbypan
    I'm on every day, afternoons, ship 2. Not sure about other PA folk, but there's a higher concentration of non-Japanese players on Ship 2 than anywhere else.

Did the client orders ever get translated by the patch?

What do you mean specifically? Client Order names and objectives are all fully translated. Most CO-related character dialogue is not.

Yeah, names and objectives, to know which are which.

edited October 2015
    SEGA has finally announced plans to increase the amount of item storage for all players in January 2016. Par for course for SEGA, it's not fully without a downside, but will benefit free players, and players with many characters the most.

Current plans are to add non-shared storage to each character, with a base size of 300 slots, expandable via purchases (similar to how you can expand each character's inventory.) This character-specific storage would transfer along with your character if you transfer them to another ship.

As for the shared storage spaces:
    Basic (free) storage will remain at 200 slots.
    Premium storage will be buffed from 300 to 400 slots
    EX storage 1 through 5 would receive something of a nerf in this plan. They will still have 500 slots, but they will only be accessible from item terminals in the lobby or campship, so you would no longer be able to store items to them while in the field, or access them from My Shop, or at NPC shops. Their contents would also no longer be included under the "All Storage" selection.

SEGA did mention all of this is not necessarily final, and may be subject to change before implementation.

IceBurner on
  • chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    So me and a buddy have decided, since we liked PSO and PSU, to give PSO2 a shot. We dutifully went to Arks Layer and downloaded the things and such, and then went to register. My registration went reasonably well (had a bit of trouble with the captcha but I got it eventually) but my buddy apparently got IP blocked or something. He cannot get to the website anymore after getting the first confirmation e-mail and clicking the link. Like now he can't get to any of the actual PSO2 websites, not with a different browser nor even on his phone. He can, however, get to the PSO2 websites on his phone if he connects over LTE instead of his home WiFi. Any clues as to what happened or how to fix it?

steam_sig.png
    Well, your average VPN program might do the trick.

And if you're getting back in to the game I'll relink the PSO2 Proxy stuff you'll need to actually play.

Yeah the Arks Layer site has the proxy stuff and how to set it up. It's just weird that he was fine, then got IP blocked (apparently), while I had no issues. I'll suggest a VPN to him.

steam_sig.png
    Alright, I got in, but my buddy has not been able to register the game under his Sega ID. The webpage translation in Chrome isn't super helpful because the actual links are images instead of being text, so they remain in Moonspeak. Any hints I could pass on to him on which link to click to be able to register his Sega ID for PSO2?

Also the game is super pretty, and is perhaps the most anime thing I have seen in a while. Really enjoying my tutorial experience so far!

steam_sig.png
    The game is legit gorgeous, and has one of the best character creators out there.

edited January 2016
    The character creator is pretty good, yeah; though I got a giggle out of the boob bounce every time you change something on a female character.

-edit- Oh sonuva . . . I apparently hit the wrong option and skipped right past parts 1 and 2 and went straight to part 3. That is kind of annoying, knew I should have learned to read Moonspeak.

-edit2- Oh well, looks like it's a bust. My buddy that I was going to play with not only has his home IP blocked, but now the IP of whatever proxy he used to get around that block, is also blocked. So he was never able to activate PSO2 on his Sega ID. Lame.

chrisnl on
    steam_sig.png
    And in better news, my buddy was able to remote login to his work computer and complete the registration (or whatever it was he needed to do) from there, and we successfully spent a few hours going through the various tutorial missions. We called it a night at around level 13 I think, good times were had and lots of very anime characters were spotted.

steam_sig.png
    Episode 4 launches in 2 days with a bunch of polished up engine features! The new graphic update follows sometime later. I have to give this some more time again.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I patched up and everything just because I want to fight laser shooting tyrannosaurus. That is my goal.

steam_sig.png
    I know they have the PS4 version coming out. I imagine that is where the improved visuals come from. Still no word on an NA release. At this point I doubt it. :(. Oh well fun game is still fun if you're willing to jump through the hoops.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The thing is that they already have an english client, because there were working on distro to English speaking Asian countries. That they won't let the US have it is basically a fuck you.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
    Eh I've heard speculation that the cost for licensing all the various crossover / reference stuff in the game would be immense if they were to bring it out in the USA. It seems unlikely that the game would draw a large enough audience here to justify the expense of potentially new servers as well as all the licensing stuff.

steam_sig.png
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    I can understand that. And for what it's worth I've heard the SEA english translation is questionable at best.

aTBDrQE.jpg
    The SEA version is pretty awful.

It is entirely understandable, but they mangle a lot of the Phantasy Star specific words and such.

steam_sig.png
    Out of curiosity, how much disruption does the process of patching in a new episode usually cause for people playing with the English patch? Is it just a matter of the new story stuff not being translated, or does it take a few days before it's back up and running?

Also I ran into a problem where I would try to go into a mission, and my character would stop on the campship as if waiting for an audio message that never played. I ran a check for missing files and I had 1500 missing. I'm kind of amazed I didn't run into the problem earlier with that many files missing.

steam_sig.png
    The next episode should be rather different since it will be an entirely new lobby and such that you'll choose from the login screen.

So it really shouldn't upset much in the normal areas except some new items and such being untranslated.

steam_sig.png
    Hrm really? I had heard that you will have to complete up to a certain point in Episode 4 before you can go back to any previous episode that you were previously working on.

steam_sig.png
  • drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    So, I haven't watched past the first episode of the PSO2 series. But I have watched the new EP4 intro. And now I'm confused to why the game isn't a game anymore but REAL ANIME LIFE, apparently.

Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
    The EP 4 budget was largely spent on the PS4 edition/engine updates. The producer had wanted to do that for a while, but the execs wouldn't allocate money for it. The PS4 release was the only to get the budget for it.

The EP4 storyline was very likely literally put together by interns working on whatever cash was left, to satisfy the executive-mandated bullet-point requirement for a tie-in with the PSO2 anime.

For what it's worth, Earth isn't in the same universe as the ARKS, but "sub-space" experiments connected PSO2's universe with a parallel MMORPG in Earth's universe. Through this contrivance, both are "real". The Earth players' MMORPG avatars show up in the PSO2 universe as "Unregistered ARKS" who literally appear/vanish (login and logout). Not quite sure of the mechanism for PSO2 characters to show up on Earth, but since they're both "real", and the ARKS stumbled upon an inter-dimensional link ... well, whatever. It's not as if the prior episode storylines reached above the Sat AM budget Anime writing level anyway, they were just more creative in their setting.

I'm serious though, the Ep 4 story purely exists to satisfy SEGA's requirement to tie in to their thoroughly-by-the-numbers anime. As unimpressive as the writing has been thus for, this is and will be to an even lower standard because the budget behind it is even less than before and its goal is an incredibly low bar. It is literally an attempt to cash-in on ground broken by .hack, and made profitable by Sword Art Online, without spending much. The story has never been a reason to play this game, and in this new episode it's even less so. If the gameplay and/or dress-up appeals, you'll still find all of that in spades, with some much-awaited improvements.

Still no overall balance-pass though, so don't expect progression of gear and/or power to make very much sense.

Wait what? That is even more nonsensical than I had expected from a Phantasy Star game!

Also at level 22, I finally replaced the gun I got from the tutorial! I'd say I'm doing something wrong in my search for loot, except that it hasn't seemed at all necessary yet since I kill pretty much every trash enemy in one or two attacks and haven't had an issue with a boss.

Mostly I love the way the enemies look, they've done a good job of making things seem otherworldly (at least for as far as I have gotten).

steam_sig.png
    edited June 2019
    Seems it's unexpectedly time to dust this off.

This year's E3 conference by Microsoft revealed Phantasy Star Online 2 is at last getting an official English release in Spring 2020. It's coming to Xbox One and Windows PC with cross-platform play:

https://youtu.be/vtAsuCzmUVo

All that we know is that it will be free to play, have "all content", and "all bosses". The Spring 2020 launch is just for North America at this time.

The official English site is https://pso2.com/ It doesn't have any content to speak of at this moment.

It's very likely the "all the content" remark refers to the base game content. The trailer showed clips from all the rendered intros up thru episode 5 (the current 6th episode doesn't have such a render yet even in Japan). The Japanese PSO2 release is known for prolific crossovers with other series SEGA publishes in Japan, plus a few they don't, such as Final Fantasy XIV, Tales of, Dead or Alive, King of Fighters, and Monster Hunter Frontier Online. It is extremely unlikely for much of these cross promotional items and related events to get re-licensed for inclusion in the English release.

For the series SEGA publishes both in Japan and in North America, such Sakura Taisen, Persona, and Shining: who knows. I'd imagine we'll see all the Sonic and past Phantasy Star game-related content.

IceBurner on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I need to look into this game now and the details of how it plays and such. I've been sad about the Phantasy Star series for a lot of years.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Yeah my wife was interested in trying this out especially if we can crossplay with her on pc and me on xbox.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    2020 is just so far away :(