As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PBP] FFG Star Wars: Echoes of the Force [IC/OOC]

• Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    That 5 difficulty check with two challenge dice was a bit harsh--threat should add setback dice, not increase base difficulty

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Let the (2) Destiny flow through me...

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    That 5 difficulty check with two challenge dice was a bit harsh--threat should add setback dice, not increase base difficulty
    Dude, you are totally right. I meant the Cs to be S's. Whoops. Sorry guys, I absolutely did not intend for this to be a huge sticking point.

@Custom Special
    @Khildith
    Can I get two more rolls at 3eD+2eS, please?

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    KhildithKhildith Registered User regular
    Geth roll 4eA+3eD+2eS

4eA+3eD+2eS 1 success, 2 threat [4eA=-, A, S, S/S] [3eD=Th, F, Th] [2eS=F, Th]

• Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    OH SNAP two ranks of Skilled Jockey are actually useful!
    Geth roll 2eP+2eA+3eD for Driving good

ALL OF THE THREAT THIS SESSION

Driving good:
    2eP+2eA+3eD 3 successes, 2 threat [2eP=S, S] [2eA=-, S/S] [3eD=-, F/Th, Th]

Custom Special on
  • Options
    Loads of threat is still better than suddenly impacting an immovable object.

Post incoming.

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    All

The great tree slammed to the ground with a planetoid-shuttering thump, kicking a collected millenia of leaves and dust into the air. The hulk of the identified ship crushed beneath the ancient woodland giant, giving the two craft the narrow clearance necessary to slide under, though the pilot of the lead vehicle had to deftly toggle the repulsors to keep from losing his passenger's head on the way. The sputters and groans from both speeders joined the sounds of the chaos around them.

Somewhere nearby a huge piece of space debris slammed into a berm in the forest floor, scattering stones, dirt and burning, ancient, half-rotted wood into the air. The forest fire was spreading quickly, and the whistling from the atmosphere was becoming more insistent, though the thick canopy made it impossible to track any of the deadly space debris, including the star destroyer.

If you've got any bright ideas about how to survive the spacecraft apocalypse, now would be a great time.

• Options
    Keo

Keo keys his com-link, hoping someone in the leading speeder had theirs on.

"Either of you know where we're going? We need to find a cave or something and ride this out!"

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    This seems like a prime opportunity to rail against a part of this game that I admit I do not fully understand. Why is it so hard to Push something in this game? I assume the same question applies to a number of Force powers, but to me the Move power seems very expensive.

Does a player really need a force rating of 4 in order to push a tree out of the way? Fully investing in at least three specializations to get the oomph they need to be able to buy enough Talents and use Force Move effectively? That...that seems like a lot.
    Nope, but you do need to sink a lot of XP into it. It just takes one pip to activate the power, another to activate the strength upgrade, and a third to activate the range upgrade. You'll want FR2 if you want to pull off a 3 pip power, more if you want to do so without using dark side.

• Options
    Seth

"Of course I know where we're going! Just keep flying, we'll be there soon!"
    I'm gonna add a blue die through Aid to Nuun's next roll

• Options
    DE-902

The droid accessed its data stores as rapidly as it could, attempt to pattern match the dangerous elements in the current situation with examples from past scenarios.
    Geth, roll 1eA+1eP for I'm going to need to Education the shit out of this

I'm going to need to Education the shit out of this:
    1eA+1eP 1 success, 1 Triumph [1eA=-] [1eP=Tr]

• Options
    edited January 2016
    DE-902
    geth roll 2eD for safety protocols.

Standard protocol is to get off planet if possible. Otherwise shelter in place. Neither of these seen like great options right now. If you want to use that triumph to declare some way out of this, give it a shot.

safety protocols:
    2eD 1 failure, 1 threat [2eD=-, F/Th]

OptimusZed on

• Options
    Huh, this is a tough one. So the knowledge roll wasn't successful, so I can't have the result of this solve the problem. But a situation-changing good thing happens.

Activate a boost to get us out of there? Hidden shield generator? Accidentally stumble across a cave or something? @OptimusZed Are those too outlandish?

• Options
    Any of that works.

• Options
    i thought triumphs also counted as a success?

• Options
    i thought triumphs also counted as a success?
    It does, but that was the only Success I rolled.

• Options
    DE-902

The droid shook its head. "I have no information on the locations of interest on our current course and trajectory. Imperial protocol suggests planetwide evacuation or sheltering in place. However, neither seem to be an option here..." It trailed off, then pointed off to the side. "Perhaps taking refuge in a local cave might suffice?"

• Options
    Oh interesting, that notation should probably be changed then. @Infidel is that intentional? It threw me off because it reads like 1 success + 1 triumph. Had to look at the actual die results.

good catch Jdark

• Options
    I'm just throwing a suggestion out here... but a Triumph... to a cave... on a planet known for crystals... ehhh? Ehhh? :D

• Options
    I'm just throwing a suggestion out here... but a Triumph... to a cave... on a planet known for crystals... ehhh? Ehhh? :D

• Options
    Look Zed

Seth's moonshard jewelry business isn't going to take off on its own. I need materials for the necklaces!

• Options
    All

A short distance in front of the lead vehicle, its engine still groaning with the effort of outrunning the meteoric holocaust, another huge chunk of space debris impacted the forest floor. Chunks of earth and old leaves were kicked into the air.

Where the previous impacts had created debris to be avoided, this one instead continued into the earth with its speed nearly unchanged. A chasm opened up almost directly under the two speeders, hungrily gobbling up the terrain as it spread away from the point of impact.

Keo/Nuun
    Give me some pilot (planetary) checks against 2eD+1eC+1eS to see if you can salvage these speeders.

Current Destiny Pool: 7 Light, 0 Dark

• Options
    Nuun
    Geth roll 2eA+2eP+2eD+1eC for Speeder tricks

Speeder tricks:
    2eA+2eP+2eD+1eC 1 success, 1 threat [2eA=S, A] [2eP=S, A] [2eD=Th, F] [1eC=Th/Th]

• Options
    That's why I ride with Nuun. Did you forget your boost die? from Seth's ... help?

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Keo

"Hold on!" the trooper shouted over the sound of the apocalypse, trying to keep the speeder at least marginally under control as the world tumbled around them.

rules question, can Keo use Brace in this situation to remove a setback die? It doesn't specify that it has to be used in combat, only against environmental setbacks.
    Geth roll 4eA+2eD+1eC+1eS

4eA+2eD+1eC+1eS 4 successes, 2 threat [4eA=-, S/S, A/A, S/S] [2eD=Th/Th, -] [1eC=Th/Th] [1eS=-]

Khildith on
  • Options
    Oh interesting, that notation should probably be changed then. @Infidel is that intentional? It threw me off because it reads like 1 success + 1 triumph. Had to look at the actual die results.

good catch Jdark
    Gotta think of it as all notations separate. An end result of 1 Success and 1 Advantage could be rolled on one die - or five. The Success symbol on the Triumph face is just implied instead of included.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Oh interesting, that notation should probably be changed then. Infidel is that intentional? It threw me off because it reads like 1 success + 1 triumph. Had to look at the actual die results.

good catch Jdark
    Yes, intentional, as otherwise your success/failure result would be wrong.

Makes more sense when you roll everything together, but you still do the same thing anyways. "1 success" + "1 failure" is 0 success, whether you got a Triumph or not. "By the way, 1 Triumph" is the way it has to be laid out, because you could have 2 Failures net and "no successes" types of results.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    Yeah it makes sense, I was just considering if there was an easier way to notate that the Triumph is separate from the total pool. "By the way, (Triumph/Despair)" actually is sort of what I was thinking. Either way not a big deal, now that I know that it's tallied and called out

No more derails for me!

• Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    Uther

Uther has a white knuckled grip on the hand holds in the speeder as Keo blasts around trees and dips into the newly formed crevasse. "When I said we had to move faster, it was implied that we live through it as well."

jdarksun wrote: »
    Steelhawk wrote: »
    This seems like a prime opportunity to rail against a part of this game that I admit I do not fully understand. Why is it so hard to Push something in this game? I assume the same question applies to a number of Force powers, but to me the Move power seems very expensive.

Does a player really need a force rating of 4 in order to push a tree out of the way? Fully investing in at least three specializations to get the oomph they need to be able to buy enough Talents and use Force Move effectively? That...that seems like a lot.
    Nope, but you do need to sink a lot of XP into it. It just takes one pip to activate the power, another to activate the strength upgrade, and a third to activate the range upgrade. You'll want FR2 if you want to pull off a 3 pip power, more if you want to do so without using dark side.
    I guess that's my point...FR3 seems like a lot of investment to able to move something larger than a person. That's OK though, I just need to adjust my expectation. Being a badass Jedi clearly takes a bit more XP than I have been expecting in this game.

• Options
    Yeah I can definitely tell you to be a Prequel-level Jedi you are talking about some intense XP dumps. The "Knight Level" XP (+150) gets you close if you make a very lean build focused around Niman Disciple. Luckily I'm just 10 XP away on Seth for FR2. the gap closes a lot when you're rolling 2 force dice instead of 1.

• Options
    All

The atmospheric whistling, crackling of the forest fires and muted, vibrational thumps of space debris impact were all replaced with a deafening clatter of tumbling stone before returning as dully half-heard echoes of themselves in the relative silence of the sinkhole. The engines of the two speeders, intact only through the heroism of their pilots, wheezed and sputtered pitifully.

Behind the craft, at the unexpected entrance to the cave, the smoking wreckage of yet another TIE fighter lolled and sparked angrily, it's foils twisted and broken inward and pressed to the body of the craft. Collapsed stone filled in around and above it, sealing the craft like a coffin. The great rift in the rock ceiling was roughly 30 meters above, and widening with each half-felt impact.

The cavern itself was roughly 10 meters wide, 10 meters tall and oddly flat. In the running lamps of the speeders, small, blue glints could be seen in the walls. The floor, though not machined flat, was obviously unnaturally so.

After a long moment, Keo's speeder let out one last pained stutter and sunk to the floor. Nuun's followed suit almost immediately, leaving the cavern outside the shaft off daylight in darkness.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    Keo

Keo sat in the comparative silence, unmoving for the moment. His helmet display worked to combat the low light environment.

"That was a lucky break!"

Keo began to clamber out of the speeder, hoping to find some emergency flares in the storage compartment of the craft.

Done packing my life up, I'll be on the move and using an iPad to post until Sunday, so I apologize if my posts are sporadic or badly spelled!

Khildith on
  • Options
    Seth

Seth hauled himself out of the speeder, holding the blaster angled at the ground as he looked around. "No such thing as luck, lad," he said, his eyes glittering as he ran a hand along the walls of the cave, touching the glinting stone.

• Options
    DE-902

"Unfortunate," muttered the droid. "There is apparently no end to the property damage."

• Options
    Nuun

Pulling himself up onto the back of the speeder, Nuun took count to ensure all his limbs were still attached.

"These speeders are probably going to need a rest before we even try to take them back out into...whatever is happening out there." He pulled the hand scanner out of his backpack and flicked it on, hoping there wasn't anything hungry in the darkness of this cave.
    "If we're waiting out the apocalypse in here, we may as well stretch our legs and see what's in here." He motioned into the darkness at the back of the cave.

• Options
    I would like to make a knowledge roll - Are these Kyber crystals? I would assume Seth gets a blue die for knowing specifically what Kyber crystals look like/interact with

(if I don't need to make a roll that's cool too)

• Options
    Seth
    Of course they're Kyber Crystals, simpleton.

• Options
    Keo

The trooper rummaged around in the storage on the small speeder for a few moments, the sighed and slammed it shut.

"Anyone pack some flares? My speeder isn't stocked to regulation. I'd be a lot more comfortable exploring if it wasn't in the dark."

• Options
    Nuun

"I grabbed this torch *click* out of the armory before we left. If I'd known we would be hiding in a dark cave I would have grabbed more."
    Nuun glanced over at his storm trooper helmet quizzically.
    "Keo, do these plastic domes have any kind of low light capability? Or are they just standard issue for their stylish looks?"

• Options
    Keo

"Low light, yeah, but it's limited. Need some light to make it more than useless."

Keo noticed the reflecting crystals Old Seth was inspecting for the first time.

"What are those anyway?"