As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Wrestling Thread] is going to cry for a few days, if that's ok with everyone

NiryaNirya Registered User regular
edited February 2016 in Social Entropy++
Since the days of the Gold Dust Trio in the early 1920s, wrestling has had a focus on feuds. Many of our favorite memories of wrestling revolve around these epics. Sting/Flair, Austin/Vince, Hogan/Andre, TNA/Sanity, and others have captured our imagination for decades.

And yet none of them compare to the one true feud. I am talking about a battle that has lasted for decades, through multiple promotions, through uneasy alliances and hated blood feuds.

I am, of course, talking about Kevin Owens vs Sami Zayn.

tumblr_lya2ydxHyI1qfjkvio1_500.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6hp4X-cVKs

KevinOwensGenerico_zpszr0kpo4l.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBgbI35memU

ko-1429865375.jpg

It seems as if it's time for the next chapter in wrestling's greatest feud to be written.

TALE AS OLD AS TIME

SONG AS OLD AS RHYME

OWENS AND SAMI

t70pctuqq2uv.png
3DS: 2981-5304-3227
Nirya on

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    Best fued

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular

yeah i'm ok with this

(the match and OP, great job nirya)

• Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    I almost want to guess Bryan for surprise return tonight

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Finally watched the Rumble, really enjoyed it.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Looks like those two have some

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcIy9NiNbmo

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:
    The same limit applies but a gifv is about 6-10x smaller than a gif so you get away with more.
    You need a special plugin in most browsers to check gifv sizes though.

Do you know where to get that plug in for firefox because I can't seem to find it.

• Options
    The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Coming back to training after three weeks of being out due to injury and illness is pretty tough.

Doing it when the training schedule has changed to now be two 3-hour days with the first hour being all conditioning is tougher.

Then add on top of that coming back to a completely unfamiliar ring because we've changed locations.

And now I am very, very sore today.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Oh fanfiction.txt without you I would've greatly underestimated the amount of crazy people on the Internet.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Glad you're OK Geek

• Options
    Got a 2nd row ticket to AJ's last indy show, please don't have him cancel WWE.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    The Sonic WrestleMania booker put way too many matches on the card.

That would take forever.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Glad you're OK Geek

Thanks!

I twisted my knee on a trampoline and then I got a cold that kicked my ass for two weeks. The only good part of it was it made me take extra time off to rest and heal up the knee.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So Rumble thoughts.

The Last Man Standing match was a solid match to open on. Against someone like Owens, Ambrose's flaws really start to show through and if he does that stupid rope move one more time I hope someone just big boots his head off. Think it should have been a different winner, but I would guess that last night was Zayn's call up and they want him to ultimately go over Owens but not be the IC champion yet.

At the same time, Owens AS IC Champ has three set feuds: Ambrose, Zayn, and Styles.

The US title match was pretty boring, Del Rio just has no charisma. Like he isn't talentless at all, he just has no presence whatsoever. And I think they booked Kalisto too weak. Yeah he won, but it's basically a case of how long can his luck hold out when all these bigger opponents come calling?

Women's match was great. I thought it was Becky's, but this outcome is ok as they're finally releasing Sasha from the deadweight of team BAD from the look of it and maybe we even get a three-way match at Mania for it. Looking at it, my worry for Charlotte is what is she without the title and her dad. Also hate the finish. Face's responding to basic taunts from the outside and ignoring their opponent is such a lazy finish and just not acceptable anymore.

Tag Team match was good. Damn what a smart crowd, booing the hell out of the Usos and cheering the New Day. Glad New Day retained as I thought it was inevitably that the Usos would regain the belts. Hopefully we can now get some decent tag team call ups and the New Day can have a proper feud.

The Rumble:
    So it was ok. Better than the last two by a country mile and it successfully didn't make me think Bryan was coming out at any point, so it avoided the looming spectre.

Roman sucked. He spent most of it in the corner again, then got took out, but not even the kids bought he wasn't coming back, so they replaced the Bryan spectre with the spectre of Roman's inevitable return. So not only did all that "outlast 29 other men" stuff not matter, they actively protected him for 30 minutes, which makes the LoN and Vince's actions just appear stupid. They'd rigged it so all of the LoN, Brock, and HHH were in at the end, and still randomly assaulted Roman early in the match for no reason. Again a very smart crowd, booing Roman.

Roman's uppercut slap seems to have actually been used now MORE than Ambrose's rope rebound.

Super glad they wasted a spot on Henry and Swagger. Super super glad especially about that Swagger one. Jfc, what were they thinking?

Old Man Jericho should not have had the Iron Man spot, he never should have lasted that long at all. That was a spot that belonged to Zayn or Styles, Jericho didn't need it and he was unceremoniously thrown out at the end of it.

Not enough surprise entrants, was Styles the only one?

A lot of duff entrants like Titus.

The eliminated Wyatt's eliminating Brock, and the Beast Incarnate walking away instead of getting in the ring and suplexing the hell out of Wyatt until he was a fine paste.

I was ok with the ending, I don't mind HHH being champion and I'm glad they did away with Roman being in the final two and gave someone else a chance to shine. I'm not sure if HHH was selling though or he really was that gassed that quickly.

The problem with that particular ending is that Roman will inevitably get a rematch at Mania since HHH won't lose before then and has noone else to face except a returning Bryan, so in 6 months Roman will be a three-time WHC.

And overall, the match was still about Roman, he was there from the start getting booed, and then when he got took out, the cameras missed spots by the guys sacrificing themselves in the ring to focus on Roman being wheeled out, and then it was the wait for his inevitable return.

Overall it was a good PPV and the Rumble is definitely an improvement over the last 2, just not that excited for what it means for the Mania main event.

Depending on RAW, the tag belts might be in a good position, we'll probably get Owens v Zayn or Styles, and hopefully Charlotte V Sasha V Becky.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    Styles and Zayn were the only "surprises"

• Options
    Styles and Zayn were the only "surprises"

I would say that Trips was.

BLM - ACAB
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    As early as last week there was news that Bryan actually headed out to UCLA to get checked by doctors once again, and he ended up coming away from that visit all good to go.

they usually foreshadow or straight up announce a Rock appearance

so I am super excited right now

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    No Brock or Heyman. Holy god if they make Bray build up another Mania feud with 90% promos from him solo

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Jericho had the iron man spot because he was the one directing the match.

I liked everything except the Roman beat down. I know they did it to get him out of the ring, so they could focus on other stories, but I thought it distracted too much from the match itself.

That and they made Strowman look too good.

• Options
    Xehalus wrote: »
    they usually foreshadow or straight up announce a Rock appearance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ff6LxpfVAo

• Options
    nicopernicusnicopernicus Registered User regular
    We can't have an Owens/Zayn thread without this! (or at least I've always liked it)
    https://youtu.be/DyMEuYkDPXc

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular

Tana has his priorities straight, at least

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    One thing to really applaud WWE for: They didn't do any surprise legends with no value beyond the "hey, it's that guy" pop.

1 or 2 of them can be OK but they can really kill any story going on.

And yeah in retrospect the plan just makes no sense for LoN. If they want to go through all this trouble why not drag Roman over the top rope?
    Why not ambush him again when he goes after Sheamus? Why not stay at ringside and insure a Sheamus win, when you're already willing to interfere that much.

I liked the Rumble this year but mostly for all the small stories, not for the main one. Though the Rusev splash looked amazing.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    facetious wrote: »
    The Sonic WrestleMania booker put way too many matches on the card.

That would take forever.

Well, you've got the extra long pre-show, which is probably where Sasha's match ends up, and then there's always the possibility that one of the other Divas matches gets cut because Kevin "Scratch & Grounder" Dunn thinks its unnecessary.

Goose! on
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I pray to God he is just in the audience

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    Continuing his feud with Heath Slater, I hope!

• Options
    Good grief that sustained reaction Styles got last night.

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Fingers crossed for anybody but the Rock tonight..."a major return" isn't just a move star jawing on the mike for a few minutes. If he doesn't plan to wrestle I don't need to see him.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    It'll be Rocky.

They need to sell HHH as a super heel for what he did last night, and standing in the middle of the ring with Roman won't generate the kind of reaction that they want.

• Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    I think WWE realizes they messed up the camera work last night. Here are some "additional angles".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBVcsPVPyQ

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • Options
    Regarding tonight's big return
    WON says it's either Rock or Taker, not Bryan.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    They're gonna have to have him do some pretty dick things to put Roman over or they'll have to turn Roman, because HHH got a pretty good response both on entering the Rumble and throwing Roman out. Even the crotch chopping.

HHH isn't Sheamus, and Roman has no chance of being liked going against him as he is.

• Options
    CERO MIEDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Options
    SchideSchide Yeoh! Registered User regular
    Okay I'm putting some gifvs in here again so hopefully they're small enough not to go over the limit. If someone figures out that they are just let me know and I'll fix them and curtail further use of them.

OMG Moment of the Year
    In the annals of history there are moments in time that stand still and are forever etched in our memory. When these events take place you watch them and scream the individual letters O, M and G because you are some kind of crazy person. They're really cool, and make you sit back and think, "Hey, that was pretty cool."

These are sort of like that but with wrestlers and therefore much less important.

THIRD PLACE (tie): Brock Lesnar tries to end Raw early, murders Cole (112 points)
    In the main event of Wrestlemania, Brock Lesnar lost his WWE title without ever being pinned. So understandably, when he turned up on RAW the next night, he was a wee bit miffed. He took out his frustrations on anyone he could get his hands on, including suplexing multiple refs and officials, burying the rest of the announce team under the table, and when he got his hands on Michael Cole, well, let's just watch:

SECOND PLACE (tie): Kalisto murders an Uso (112 points)
    The TLC match at the TLC PPV between New Day, the Usos and the Lucha Dragons was a bloody spotfest with multiple wrestlers being heaved to and fro and flung from many a ladder, but easily the most memorable spot was when Kalisto performed his signature Salida del Sol on an Uso from the top of a ladder onto another ladder.

And your winner...
    FIRST PLACE WINNER!: Seth Rollins cashes in MITB in the main event of Wrestlemania Play Button (123 points)
    And of course, here we have the person who cost Brock his WWE championship at Wrestlemania. Near the end of the grueling championship match between Brock and Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins sprinted down the aisle towards the ring and cashed in his Money in the Bank briefcase to insert himself into the middle of the match.

He then used his signature [MOVE REDACTED] to take out Reigns and pin him, in the midst of some other shenanigans, thus winning him his first ever WWE World Title.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

almost as good as dean ambrose's us title reign

• Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    facetious wrote: »
    I think WWE realizes they messed up the camera work last night. Here are some "additional angles".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuBVcsPVPyQ
    The crowd was NUCLEAR when he showed up

They actually tuned down the crowd volume I think

• Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Someone correct me if I'm wrong on my counting here, because I certainly could have missed some guys.

But I think these are the only people who were big indy stars who got to keep their names when they came to WWE:

Punk
    Joe
    AJ
    Aries

Owens and Bryan are close, so I guess we could count them if we wanted. But other than these guys, I can't think of anyone.

I wonder what the rationale is when they decide who gets to keep their "indy name"?

I also wonder about a guy like Brock Lesnar. If he were just coming up now, he would definitely be in NXT. So I try to imagine what kind of silly name they would give him, because he likely wouldn't keep his actual name in this day and age.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    He'd keep Brock but hopefully find a more intimidating last name than Lesnar

Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
This discussion has been closed.