As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Winter Storm Jonas

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    I needed to get out, was able to make it to a movie theater.

Bought my ticket before I noticed the theater is closed.

• MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    OPM hasn't updated for tomorrow
    Still possible they won't open

They really shouldn't, because apparently everything except major arteries is still a mess, but you never know with OPM.

And apparently the nearest metro stations to me are still closed tomorrow. Gonna have to shank someone for a shovel first thing in the morning, I guess. Wish my Jeep wasn't still parked at the apartment I'm moving out of.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    My work scheduled me off for Monday and Tuesday, so literally all my off days were on the snow days

VRXwDW7.png
  • BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Its raining in Michigan. Woo!

Also yesterday gas was the least expensive its ever been since I started driving. It is a weird fucking time to be alive.

• SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    I get another day off work tomorrow!

• DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    Oh god minnesota is just pure ice right now

Its raining, and as soon as rhe rain makes contact with somethng it freezes

I had to stop my every few miles to make it so I could see again

Man, ice storms can be goddamn terrifying.

The infamous one back in 1998 shut down everything in my area.

Power was gone, school was cancelled, and I was super bored, being a seven year old at the time.

Anyways, my Mom decided that for something to do, we could all walk down to the grocery store to see whether or not it was shut down. There were some small things that we could use what with the power being out.

My brother Ryan and I were outside playing in the snow and waiting for her to finish getting my then three year old brother Ben ready so we could go.

We weren't outside for two minutes before I hear a huge CRACK, and the tree near the street (which was taller than my house) split in half.

We cancelled our walk.

• PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    It's 30 degrees in Minnesota

Spring Break yaaaaaalllllll

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    So my parents street got plowed, and technically I think I could make it into work but I know the metro is going to be hellish tomorrow so I think I'll just take another day off?

Go back to my place at least, wear some new clothes, play some video games

2x39jD4.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm supposed to piece together a staff to open my building from 12-7 tomorrow, fuuuuuuck that man. My street still hasn't been touched, Ride On's running 17 routes from 10-6 with delays and detours, I literally have no way to get into the city. Everyone should have taken one more day to let people get their lives in order, this is grade A bologna.

edited January 2016
    I wish OPM would decide one way or another.

Edit: Holy shit, they listened to me for once.

MadEddy on
    ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • CelloCello Registered User regular
    Dys wrote: »
    Oh god minnesota is just pure ice right now

Its raining, and as soon as rhe rain makes contact with somethng it freezes

I had to stop my every few miles to make it so I could see again

Man, ice storms can be goddamn terrifying.

The infamous one back in 1998 shut down everything in my area.

Power was gone, school was cancelled, and I was super bored, being a seven year old at the time.

Anyways, my Mom decided that for something to do, we could all walk down to the grocery store to see whether or not it was shut down. There were some small things that we could use what with the power being out.

My brother Ryan and I were outside playing in the snow and waiting for her to finish getting my then three year old brother Ben ready so we could go.

We weren't outside for two minutes before I hear a huge CRACK, and the tree near the street (which was taller than my house) split in half.

We cancelled our walk.

Man, how were you bored?? We spent the entirety of those two weeks playing Ocarina of Time. Well, when we had power, anyway.

I still have really strong memories of how everything outside my window was frozen in a thick layer of ice.

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
    You know what, even as much as I hate snow, I hate ice worse, because it almost always took out the power back home. I think the power company has gotten better about trimming back the trees, though, because my parents didn't lose power during this storm.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    we have had two ice storms here. one was a real long time ago, I think it shut the entire city down for a good week. the second one wasn't as bad but power was out for a couple days. I think we only got a day or two off from school.

• NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    MadEddy wrote: »
    I wish OPM would decide one way or another.

Edit: Holy shit, they listened to me for once.

Hoooray! More days off!

• lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Fed worker hi5s!

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Schools closed through Wednesday at least so teacher double hi5s

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
    My company can't bill the government for the days I can't work, so it's coming out of my PTO unless I work eleven hour days all this week and the next to make up for it. Fun fucking times.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    OPM hasn't updated for tomorrow
    Still possible they won't open

Thought you meant One Punch Man and was very confused.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • number13number13 Registered User regular
    My company can't bill the government for the days I can't work, so it's coming out of my PTO unless I work eleven hour days all this week and the next to make up for it. Fun fucking times.

Whoa that's some horseshit.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I gotta go in tomorrow

Not looking forward to the amount of work that will be piled on my desk

Especially because I know I'll be pulled off of it to do other stuff anyway

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    I'm going to end up going in for one day this week and then taking off to PAX
    I am going to be so busy when I get back

• MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Lucked out yesterday with parking. I think I found the one open spot, and I had no difficulties getting out this morning.
    I wonder when my good luck is going to run out. ...

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    I work in inventory at a hospital
    So I always have to go

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I can't even imagine being out multiple days from school with that little snow. It has to be about 3 feet or more to close school at all around here.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• number13number13 Registered User regular
    My wife is essential personnel at the hospital close to us, so she's been stuck there essentially since Friday. Luckily they provide you with a room to stay in when something like that happens, but it sucks hard that she has to work so much and can't come home and relax. I've been trying kind of fruitlessly to dig out a path for her the past few days because everyone I've called has cancelled on me. I'm supposed to be able to get someone it today though, hopefully.

Saw on the news that a guy in a county not 15 minutes from us died in his car after he went to sit and rest from trying to dig it out of the snow and a plow came by and blocked his exhaust.

I was born in the south, man. I don't think I'll ever get used to the snow.

2w3e5cp.jpg
  • TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    I can't even imagine being out multiple days from school with that little snow. It has to be about 3 feet or more to close school at all around here.

It was about 3 feet

• CelloCello Registered User regular
    Yeaaah, my city would have had it all cleared on the Sunday most likely

But I mean, we have larger plows, way bigger snow removal budgets, snow tires and a lot more experience in dealing with massive snowfalls like that, since it's more of a regular winter occurrence

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

It was about 3 feet

I mean it would take that much for us to be closed a single day. Multiple is crazy here.

The last time schools closed multiple days was in 1997 in the October snowstorm that took out power to over half the city and blocked streets due to entire trees collapsing.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular

Our school district was always weird about snow. Some days you'd be trudging through snow up to your knees to get there other times it seemed like they were just in a good mood and gave us a snow day after just a couple of inches. However, during my days in high school nothing got us out except for negative temperatures and wind chills.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    You know what, even as much as I hate snow, I hate ice worse, because it almost always took out the power back home. I think the power company has gotten better about trimming back the trees, though, because my parents didn't lose power during this storm.

Yup! We had an ice storm in Columbia... 3 years ago now? Maybe 4. Ate up all the power lines and plenty of trees.

We just got big fat flurries down to Mount Pleasant and Charleston this time around fortunately.

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    I took public transit to work this morning and have still not arrived. Thanks WMATA!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    Started raining in my bathroom last night. Could be due to the melting snow, but since we're on the first floor of a 3 story building, could also be due to the plumbing noises my roommates have been bugging the landlord about for months. Either way, fun times.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I took public transit to work this morning and have still not arrived. Thanks WMATA!

This is why I stayed home today, wmata is balls after a bad storm

2x39jD4.jpg
  • DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    I swear to fucking christ that if I get home from work today and there is some asshole parked in the spot that I spent 3 hours perfectly clearing out I am going to shit on their god damn hood.

Beyond that, blizzard was great...how is everyone?

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You guys need to learn how to dibs.

rdmv3ieos3pp.jpg

• KilroyKilroy timaeusTestified Registered User regular
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Balefuego wrote: »

This is why I stayed home today, wmata is balls after a bad storm

could've left off "after a bad storm" tbh

• DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    You guys need to learn how to dibs.

rdmv3ieos3pp.jpg

I may have to borrow the Darth Vader cut out we have at work.

That said, "dibs" or the chair method is illegal.

Hell, chief of the DC police even did an interview about it recently. "Look, putting your chair in a public spot to "claim it" is illegal. That said, I mean, don't be the person that does that to your neighbor, alright?"

• SnowbearSnowbear Registered User regular
    Dibs is a dumb dumb Chicago tradition. I've never actually done but the mayor trying to make it illegal and fine people for it is even dumbe

8EVmPzM.jpg
  • hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The Philly police have taken it upon themselves to remind everyone that saving parking spots with stuff is illegal by using memes. This one is my favorite so far this winter.
    yVyQ5IA.jpg

#nosavesies

hailtothekale on
  • MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    I couldn't imagine saving a space in my neighborhood. But then, a spot usually either sees 3-4 cars use it in a day, or else a car stays in one spot only to move for alternate side parking days. A cone without a posted sign saying you'll get towed of you park there gets lost very quickly.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing