As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The Last Federation developer appears to have made a roguelike top-down shooter.

header.jpg?t=1453486765

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410820/

-TOTP edit-

That is not a spaceship. That is a building, a prison specifically, lodged in the side of a star. Intentionally.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Witness is live.

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    The Witness has a minimum req of:
    Processor: 1.8GHz
    Memory: 4 GB RAM
    Graphics: Intel HD 4000 series
    DirectX: Version 10
    Storage: 4 GB available space

Which suggests it will run on any modern system. The only question is how pretty it will look.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Iv'e got the first two Fatal Frames for the oXbox. Didn't get very far in the first one, though. Probably because I'm not really one for survival horror that enforces limited player movement.

I liked what I played and rather lament they didn't make the BC list for the 360.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    Drovek wrote: »
    Good grief. Have you guys played the game Dread Out? It's pretty much a complete copy of Fatal Frame except instead of japanese ghost it's Indonesian and instead of a camera it's your cell phone.

that. . .is that legal?

Is it good? Because that sounds awesome...

if it's cheap and you enjoyed fatal frame then I can't see any reason why you wouldn't get some worth out of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Ugh got sick and did not feel up to playing much of anything this weekend with crazy sinus pressure so I watched a bunch of Deep Space nine in a haze.
    But feeling better yesterday I reinstalled The Darkest Dungeon and started up an attempt at the final version. I'd only dabbled in it a bit previously.
    I think I've lost three unfortunate souls so far. But have a few folks up to level 3 now. Except they stubbornly won't go on any of the quests that aren't also at least level 3 now.
    I need to work on bringing up some other folks. Killed two bosses so far. Also randomly ran into an enemy that seemed sub-bossish. The Collector. That fight was kind of cool.

Still making progress on Book of Unwritten Tales 2 as well. So far that remains a very solid classic style adventure game.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Iv'e got the first two Fatal Frames for the oXbox. Didn't get very far in the first one, though. Probably because I'm not really one for survival horror that enforces limited player movement.

I liked what I played and rather lament they didn't make the BC list for the 360.

They're both on the BC list now, and if you dig into the menus a bit they both have improved control schemes so you're not stuck with tank controls. (FF2 has a first-person mode, for example, which is I think unique to that release) The Xbox versions were really very nicely improved.

• Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Really? I'll have to check it out, then. Thanks!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    BTW, for those who didn't catch it... Rise of the Tomb Raider preload is up.

Much excite! :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Your excite is rising?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    I should wait on that.
    I really should...
    but the last one was so good...

• Options

Your excite is rising?

Well, I mean... something like that. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    and the pre-pre load of xcom2 is starting. which is technically just me checking my email over and over for my steam key to arrive

• Options
    HiT BiTHiT BiT 🍒 Fresh, straight from Pac-man's Registered User regular
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Wait they added G&K but not BNW? I guess they still want to try and make regular money off of BNW for a while, despite a new Civ game + expansion being out.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    This mid-week Steam sale... hmm, Warhammer 40k stuff, cool. Might grab Mordheim, though I think Blood Bowl 2 would just piss me off since it's so RNG.

...Wait, there's new stuff coming out too? Let's see...

Eternal Crusade, yeah, knew that one already.

An RTS game with WH40k space battles? Okay, calm down... let's just wait until release and see how it is...

...A Talisman game based in the Horus Heresy? No, wallet - what are you doing, stop

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The Firaxis bundle got a whole lot more interesting.

Unfortunately you'd be stuck being a proud owner of X-Com Enforcer.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    1428532597_14fopow_20dft.gif

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Yeah there's a cavalcade of new games I'm hyped for in the next few weeks.
    The Witness today, which by the sound of it is not a short game at all. Rise of the Tomb Raider on Thursday. XCOM 2 just over a week later. Firewatch the next week. And while not Steam related Fire Emblem Fates the week after that. That's a pretty packed January/February. Man, and while it's not released yet the new Torment beta just went up. So that's coming along. Still need to finish Pillars.

akajaybay on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Firewatch? Oh dang.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    I'm a big Fatal Frame fan, so I gave Dreadout a go a few months ago.

It's ... Yeah, it's a pretty direct copy in some ways, but the Indonesian supernatural stuff was interesting and it had a charming degree of jankiness. It had a different vibe to it; it's more the group of kids walk into a horror movie sort of horror than the You Are Alone horror of the actual Fatal Frame games.

The combat was a little harder than Fatal Frame as well, probably because you're using a cell phone rather than a film camera so there's no limited ammo mechanic.

I put it aside because I got to a ghost I couldn't beat, and the developers confirmed that they'd accidentally made it unkillable in a patch, so I was waiting for the fix and then it just sort of slipped my mind.

It got top marks for atmospheric horror anyway. If it's cheap and they've fixed the bugs I'd say it's worth playing.

(Fatal Frame is still better, though)

Bugs notwithstanding this does sound pretty decent. I've missed Fatal Frame ever since the third game; hard to top the first in my opinion, since later installments kept reusing the whole "grotesque ritual sacrifice to seal a literal gate to hell" thing, but the first three games were spooky good times. Not sure how later installments ended up, heard mixed things.

It's weird, because the gameplay encouraged fighting ghosts rather than avoiding them (that's how you got points and upgraded your camera) and I once thought that would dissipate tension; y'know, forcing you to confront the things trying to kill you after the initial jump scare. But the games kept an edge to them well into the running time. The enemies really felt like supernatural threats that didn't have to play by your rules, man - pitiful but disturbing things that had complete freedom of movement and could attack from any angle, at any time.

Good times. I'd pay $morethanIshould for PC ports, but I may just check out Dreadout in the meantime if the bugs have been squashed.

(This is eerily well timed considering I just finished watching the Scary Game Squad play the first game. I'll never get tired of Davis shrieking over absolutely everything.)

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    The Last Federation developer appears to have made a roguelike top-down shooter.

header.jpg?t=1453486765

http://store.steampowered.com/app/410820/

-TOTP edit-

That is not a spaceship. That is a building, a prison specifically, lodged in the side of a star. Intentionally.

Haha yep. I've been talking about this the last couple of days.

If you like these kinds of things buy it, it's good.

edit: And while TLF is pretty cool what they are really known for is their RTS, AI War: Fleet Command. Maybe a few of you've heard me mention that a time or two? Or Bionic Dues? I was cautiously optimistic about this little project of theirs. Bullet hell stuff requires demanding controls but they recruited a Touhou fanatic from their community to help them work on the game, and I think that move really shows in this release. The controls are thoughtful, work well on keyboard or gamepad and the bullet patterns are intense and interesting.

This reminds me of Bionic Dues in its approachability. It's even more approachable. Arcen's stuff is usually conceptually dense, with a ton of information the player has to assimilate correctly in order to play the game. If you've played AI War or The Last Federation you'll know what I'm talking about. Starward Rogue allows you to jump in and just go, and that allows you to experience their flair for rich procedurally generated content without the initial study that some of their other games present you with.

Drake on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Apparently stars can't melt steel beams?

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I've never heard of Fatal Frame, though

I don't mean to start a .tiff here, but I flashed on this post and honestly I'm having a hard time picturing how anyone could have never heard of Fatal Frame. Have you been living in some sort of dark room for the past decade? I mean I know that the series hasn't had a ton of exposure lately (and some of the reviews for the later entries in the series have been negatives), but the Fatal Frame games were excellent at developing a real sense of dread, going against the grain of the conventional horror games. If anyone here is ISO a horror series that hasn't been oversaturated by modern horror designs and that really focuses on giving the player a new and pretty novel way to combat ghosts than they should check the series out.

That said, I'm thinking of getting DreadOut, but I want to learn moire about it first.

I'm on a roll here guys

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Heh, ISO. That's particularly clever.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Why, yes, GMG, I will take a 27% off Rise of the Tomb Raider coupon, thank you very much indeed. (Whilst also not asking how such a thing is possible without being at least slightly sketchy.)
    27RISE-OFTOMB-RAIDER if anyone else wants it. Obvious ones like that are never account exclusive.
    27PERC-OFFXCO-M2GAME as well, if you want 27% off XCOM 2.

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular

I don't mean to start a .tiff here, but I flashed on this post and honestly I'm having a hard time picturing how anyone could have never heard of Fatal Frame. Have you been living in some sort of dark room for the past decade? I mean I know that the series hasn't had a ton of exposure lately (and some of the reviews for the later entries in the series have been negatives), but the Fatal Frame games were excellent at developing a real sense of dread, going against the grain of the conventional horror games. If anyone here is ISO a horror series that hasn't been oversaturated by modern horror designs and that really focuses on giving the player a new and pretty novel way to combat ghosts than they should check the series out.

That said, I'm thinking of getting DreadOut, but I want to learn moire about it first.

I'm on a roll here guys
    puns aside, it is called Project Zero where I am. and just Zero in Japan. because reasons....
    people might know it, just not by that name.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    Curse you Jazz...I was going to resist.
    But 27% off. I'd be a fool not to take it. A FOOL.

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Viking wrote: »

I'm on a roll here guys
    puns aside, it is called Project Zero where I am. and just Zero in Japan. because reasons....

I'm pretty sure Pixie is a PC-only gamer, so she's probably never run across the games under any name at all.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    Orogogus wrote: »

I'm on a roll here guys

I'm pretty sure Pixie is a PC-only gamer, so she's probably never run across the games under any name at all.

That's exactly it. If it's not a PC game, forget it. And if it is a PC game but it's from the 90s (my non-gaming decade), there's a decent chance I never heard of it and a much greater chance I never played it.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    My Tera sub finally lapsed.

I can't decide whether to resub or to throw the $15/mo at TESO or something else... maybe FF14. Decisions.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I thought it was a fighting game series before I looked it up just now.

• Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular

I'm on a roll here guys

That's exactly it. If it's not a PC game, forget it. And if it is a PC game but it's from the 90s (my non-gaming decade), there's a decent chance I never heard of it and a much greater chance I never played it.

You are a rare breed, Pix.

And that's not a criticism. If anything, it's a compliment. There's a certain... for want of a better word, "purity" to your perspective on things game-related that I often find quite refreshing.

That said, to be a die-hard PC gamer who missed out on at least the lion's share of the '90s... you quite possibly missed a lot of very, very good stuff.

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    I thought it was a fighting game series before I looked it up just now.

That'd be Fatal Fury.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Honestly I'm not surprised if someone had never heard of Fatal Frame, I was just looking for an excuse to make a bunch of photography puns (in the Fatal Frame games you can't see ghosts unless you're looking through the viewfinder of a special camera).

Speaking of Horror games, I think tonight will be the night that I get pumped and fire up Alien Isolation again. The weird thing is, everyone seems to be afraid of the Alien, but the alien doesn't bother me much, it's those fucking androids that give me the heebie jeebies. When I'm hiding under a table and one of them calls out "How can I help you if I can't find you?" I just went BWAUUUUUUUHHHHH and stopped playing.

• Options

I can't decide whether to resub or to throw the $15/mo at TESO or something else... maybe FF14. Decisions.

Did you ever try GW2? It's not for everyone, but it is without a doubt my favorite MMO of all time.

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I'm on a roll here guys

Oh hi Dad, didn't know you'd gotten on the Internet.
    Actually I am in awe of this post, every time I think I've gotten all the photo jokes I find another one.

• Options
    vamen wrote: »

Did you ever try GW2? It's not for everyone, but it is without a doubt my favorite MMO of all time.

Yep, played quite a bit of it when it first came out. Eventually got bored and every effort to play it since has gone nowhere.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

If you're going to throw $15 bucks at an MMO at least do it for one that you can't play otherwise. Not sure what the Tera sub gives you but you can always play it as F2P if you feel like playing a bit.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Jazz wrote: »

I'm on a roll here guys

You are a rare breed, Pix.

And that's not a criticism. If anything, it's a compliment. There's a certain... for want of a better word, "purity" to your perspective on things game-related that I often find quite refreshing.

That said, to be a die-hard PC gamer who missed out on at least the lion's share of the '90s... you quite possibly missed a lot of very, very good stuff.

I'm on a roll here guys

I have no idea what that game is. I'm with Pixie. consol what? I have an xbox 360. You know what it is used for? Netflix. It makes R2D2 sounds and is painted like the droid too. Fancy Netflix box.

On a TTS note, if anyone wants info on how to make rpg like maps in the thing, I learned a lot today. PM me.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
This discussion has been closed.