As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Can I get THE WITNESS (oh can I get a Witness)

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Mr. G wrote: »
    So turns out Gamestop is doing an extra 50% on all trade-ins for the rest of the month

I brought in like 4 games and got 130 bucks

so this is downloading now

Oh man I just found this out when I went there

Thought I was trading in just enough for The Witness

Had enough for The Witness, Lego Avengers season pass and Valkyria Chronicles

Does this work for consoles? I never play my New 3DS XL, but seems like I might do better on ebay or something. Extra 50% is really good though. Could get that new tomb raider and this probably.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So turns out Gamestop is doing an extra 50% on all trade-ins for the rest of the month

I brought in like 4 games and got 130 bucks

so this is downloading now

Oh man I just found this out when I went there

Thought I was trading in just enough for The Witness

Had enough for The Witness, Lego Avengers season pass and Valkyria Chronicles

Does this work for consoles? I never play my New 3DS XL, but seems like I might do better on ebay or something. Extra 50% is really good though. Could get that new tomb raider and this probably.

I think it's just games and accessories

I got enough to get this, XCOM 2, and some left over for however much Firewatch is gonna cost

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    also HELP i can't stop pressing the Witness Me button

Dammit, Fuzzbutt stop stealing my bit.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Found some puzzles relating to things in the environment, but one of them didn't quite match up. Figuring out why felt good.
    AtomicTofu wrote: »
    I wish Jonathan Blow wasn't such an asshole.

He makes really good games that I buy and play and I don't really want to give him money.

Buy it on humble store and give it all to charity? Or you could just tell yourself you're supporting the rest of the team that made the game

Choosing who gets what share is only for bundles.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    The issue I'm having here is when there's a new mechanic, I can't tell if I'm supposed to figure it out then and there or if I missed the tutorial area where they'll teach me what it is

Like hell I know what these yellow arrows mean

I can never tell if I'm supposed to figure it out in the moment or come back later

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Yeah, I've seen three different things I don't know what mean and I hope they all have tutorial areas. Somehow managed to solve a puzzle with a thing I still don't know what is.

• Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    I wish Jonathan Blow wasn't such an asshole.

He makes really good games that I buy and play and I don't really want to give him money.

@Raijin Quickfoot

If it makes you feel any better, he's not an asshole in any ways that actually matter.

Like he has opinions about what makes good video games and isn't afraid to share them, which isn't really assholic? Just opinionated.

And he applies those opinions to make some damn good games! So he probably has a point in there somewhere.

And to the best of my knowledge he's not prone to making bigoted statements on social media, which is pretty much the standard litmus test for assholes these days.

In fact I can't recall any examples of him being mean to anyone. Can you? Like even one example of him being enough of an asshole to prevent you buying a game?

broken image link
  • Options
    Mr FuzzbuttMr Fuzzbutt Registered User regular
    Also I need to know what happens when you
    activate all the symbols on the black pillars.

broken image link
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Alright, I'll give Mr. Blow a pass... For now.

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    I asked earlier in the thread but nobody has been able to provide an example of him being an asshole yet.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    I asked earlier in the thread but nobody has been able to provide an example of him being an asshole yet.
    Two things about reviews!

1) Almost all of them contain spoilers of some magnitude, so be careful!

2) If reviews refer to it as “Jonathan Blow’s game” just remember that, as with any big and complicated game, there is a whole team of skilled people who worked on the game for years!

What. A. Dirtbag.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    He just a pretentious artist which can be said of a lot of great artists.

• Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    Yeah, I was just going to say, he can seem pretentious at times. Which is like, whatever. Don't really care.

• Options
    WHOAAA (windmill area)
    I have no idea what to do with the windmill, but discovering that you can use it itself as a puzzle and it just lights on fire sure was something alright

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    I don't know much about Jonathan Blow as a person, but there was an issue with shadows on AMD graphics cards and it's already been fixed, so that's great.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    The issue I'm having here is when there's a new mechanic, I can't tell if I'm supposed to figure it out then and there or if I missed the tutorial area where they'll teach me what it is

Like hell I know what these yellow arrows mean

I can never tell if I'm supposed to figure it out in the moment or come back later
    The number and direction of the arrows are what you need to pay attention to.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    I need a tiny hint wrt the yellow squares
    So I figured out that you have to make the shapes shown in the squares

But now I'm looking at a puzzle that has a single yellow square by itself and I have no idea how you're supposed to do that since you can't intersect your line

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
  • Options
    This game looks how Proteus would look if Proteus didn't look bad

• Options
    I'm enjoying the game.

But I feel like I'm banging my head against a few things without having all the necessary information required to progress.

This will almost certainly be frustrating for me at some point.

• Options
    On one or two puzzles I've found it useful to brute force it and then work backwards to understand why the solution is what it is

• Options
    I feel like one of these line puzzles might be about racism and cultural appropriation

It is possible I am reading way too hard into this

• Options
    I feel like one of these line puzzles might be about racism and cultural appropriation

Art!

• Options
    edited January 2016
    I am totally stuck on this white door
    The blue panels taught me that white dots should be confined within my path to the exit, and the green panels taught me that all the black squares on the lines should be overridden by the line

I do that exact thing on the door, and...nothing

EDIT: I am a dummy, totally had one inside where I shouldn't have

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options

If you're talking about what I think you're talking about, Jeff commented on it too in the quick look.

• Options
    There's some stuff going on with that mountain.

• Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    This game is p. good

There's one puzzle that I think is a perspective/shadow thing, and I can't for the fucking life of me get it lined up right, but everything else has been pretty dang fun

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    alternate title for this game is snakes on a plane

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Think I'm done for the day

I can't play games like this for more than like thirty minutes at a time or I just start getting frustrated

• Options
    Diarmuid wrote: »
    There's some stuff going on with that mountain.

I'm guessing it's where all the real hard puzzles are.

• Options
    This game is p. good

There's one puzzle that I think is a perspective/shadow thing, and I can't for the fucking life of me get it lined up right, but everything else has been pretty dang fun

If we're talking about the same thing, here's some tiered hints
    Consider what roles everything has to play
    Move things out of the way that can be moved, ignore what can be ignored
    Your own shadow blocks one of the puzzles, take a step back

The doorway in blocks another, go reopen it

Tree branches fail the puzzle, but the iron bars are safe passage

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Just a quick heads up, because it seems like a thing people might miss (not puzzle spoilers, just a... thing spoiler, I'm only an hour in)
    there's audiolog-like things hidden around. They're quite small, look like a dictaphone kind of thing. I've only found two so far, but yeah people might miss them.

Also not spoiling, I love this. It's really, really nice.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I'm not saying it isn't worth it but I wish this game wasn't 40. If it was $20 I'd buy it right now.

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So I just spent the first 30 minutes playing this game trying to find my way out of this completely black maze, carefully listening to my footsteps, to the sound of the wind trying to head towards the exit, passing each electrical hum and turning until I can head down the next passageway...then I look up a video and it turns out my game was bugged and I was just walking round and round in circles in a small tunnel that should have been lit up!

I'm smart.

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    Hermano wrote: »
    So I just spent the first 30 minutes playing this game trying to find my way out of this completely black maze, carefully listening to my footprints, to the sound of the wind trying to head towards the exit, passing each electrical hum and turning until I can head down the next passageway...then I look up a video and it turns out my game was bugged and I was just walking round and round in circles in a small tunnel that should have been lit up!

I'm smart.

Man, if the game started like that..... fuuuuuuuck

No I don't.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    This game is p. good

If we're talking about the same thing, here's some tiered hints
    Consider what roles everything has to play
    Move things out of the way that can be moved, ignore what can be ignored
    Your own shadow blocks one of the puzzles, take a step back

The doorway in blocks another, go reopen it

Tree branches fail the puzzle, but the iron bars are safe passage

Nah, I got through all of those easily enough. This is in the same general area, but a little higher up.
    pW3bHvk.jpg?1

I've had three or four false, "Oh, I think I get it!" moments on it. It's driving me bananas.

Poorochondriac on
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    BIG SPOILER
    there's a real pee bottle in the game

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I think I just finished the desert area. That's the first area I didn't really enjoy the puzzles in so far
    finding the spot to see the reflections over and over isn't really much of a brain tickler, it's just kind of tedious

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    I think Fez is the only game where I've taken notes besides writing down passwords. I have now found a puzzle that I am going to take notes for.

• Options
    I played a little bit before switching over to something else but the game is great.

Gonna get a notebook and keep track of EVERYTHING.