As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• xiearsxiears It isn't sexual Strictly confectionalRegistered User regular
    So I'm "only" 82 panels into the Witness but it is fantastic. Absolutely beautiful, and some damn fine puzzling. Reviews have steered clear of spoiling any of the mechanics and for good reason, this is 100% a game where you want to figure out the bulk of the puzzles yourself. And it is a game that facilitates this well, with new ideas being slowly introduced, and incremental steps building up to allow you to boldly take on what was once alien and obtuse at first glance.

The only 'negative' I'd throw at it is its story, or lack thereof. I realise it's incredibly early to say that the story is good or bad, but what little pieces I've been fed have left me rolling my eyes. It's like Jonathan Blow when to the store and hand picked only the finest, artisan puzzles for us to enjoy, then threw one of those £2.99 "Li'l Book of Philosophy Quotes" that sit next to the till into his basket at the last minute.

steam_sig.png
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I'm a console and PC gamer and had never heard of Fatal Frame until you guys started talking about it. Maybe it's my general distaste for horror?

camo_sig2.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    vamen wrote: »
    My Tera sub finally lapsed.

I can't decide whether to resub or to throw the $15/mo at TESO or something else... maybe FF14. Decisions.

Did you ever try GW2? It's not for everyone, but it is without a doubt my favorite MMO of all time.

Yep, played quite a bit of it when it first came out. Eventually got bored and every effort to play it since has gone nowhere.

I was quite a fan of Everquest 2 for many years. I may be very alone there. There's a lot to do in that game if you can handle the gameplay (the classes, despite being a billion of them, all feel pretty similar to me). FF14 seems to be a big hit right now, that's probably a good way to go... as you mentioned. I always see pics from PA players and wish I liked it more.

vamen on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I know of Fatal Frame because I remember Gabe and Tycho talking about it on the front page when it came out. Never played any of them myself, because nope

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    After playing the Fatal Frame games and Siren, I've come to the conclusion that wandering into a tiny village that has a bizarre human sacrifice ritual designed to stave off the end of the world is the Japanese equivalent of running out of gas and finding that the nearest house is full of backwoods inbred cannibals.

I'd love for some of the games to get PC versions - until I played FF5, I was of the opinion that the general graininess and hazy graphics were essential, but FF5 was just as creepy even with better visuals.

Sadly, they are being bankrolled by Nintendo, so the odds of that are vanishingly slim.

• FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    I remember liking Fatal Frame. Crimson Butterfly in particular.

Though the only thing I remember is that after my first playthrough, is that I unlocked the scantily clad bikini attire for what is supposedly a high school girl.

I think I am on a watch list at this point...

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Oh snap, Torment: Tides of Numera is up on Steam!

That trailer is hot. Mmmm, so much isometric, old timey goodness...

I backed, but not at a level where I get beta access. So the thumb twiddling and watching continues...

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Oh snap, Torment: Tides of Numera is up on Steam!

That trailer is hot. Mmmm, so much isometric, old timey goodness...

I backed, but not at a level where I get beta access. So the thumb twiddling and watching continues...

I've been ignoring it completely because of a fear it wouldn't measure up to Torment, but I just looked at the store page out of curiousity and i want.

• CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    Has anyone been playing the early access of WH40K: Eternal Crusade?

Looks like they took Space Marine (an awesome game) and expanded it out into a big persistent multiplayer thing, which could be very, very cool.

edited January 2016
    While I have been enjoying Tabletop Simulator these past weeks and FNGs. I have been thinking it's time for something new but familiar.

Is anyone interested in a 4 v 4 Rocket League game?
    Though of we can get plenty, then who knows, we can probably make a whole tournament bracket, with groups of 2 v 2.

EDIT: This is for FNG. Not anytime soon, in case I need to be clear.

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

• DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    While I have been enjoying Tabletop Simulator these past weeks and FNGs. I have been thinking it's time for something new but familiar.

Though of we can get plenty, then who knows, we can probably make a whole tournament bracket, with groups of 2 v 2.

Oh damn, I would love some Rocket League, but this weekend it's going to be perfectly impossible to get any gaming on. :(

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Well forget what I said earlier about sucking in Torchlight 2 becuase I rerolled as embermage and built everything around Prismatic Bolt and now I'm Superman, Goku and One Punch Man all rolled into one.

Holy shit that attack is beautifully broken.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular

I'm up for some Rocket League FNG. Actually, I'm always up for Rocket League, FNG or not. 4v4 can be a little chaotic but should be fun nonetheless.

camo_sig2.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Is hockey mode still a thing?

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    After playing the Fatal Frame games and Siren, I've come to the conclusion that wandering into a tiny village that has a bizarre human sacrifice ritual designed to stave off the end of the world is the Japanese equivalent of running out of gas and finding that the nearest house is full of backwoods inbred cannibals.

I'd love for some of the games to get PC versions - until I played FF5, I was of the opinion that the general graininess and hazy graphics were essential, but FF5 was just as creepy even with better visuals.

Sadly, they are being bankrolled by Nintendo, so the odds of that are vanishingly slim.

The Japanese make movies where the dead attack the living just because.

We live in a world where Charles Starkweather did his thing. We don't need bullshit supernatural nonsense.

• NebulousQNebulousQ Registered User regular
    Hey do you have any recommendations for co-op games for three people with asymmetrical game play?

My brother, my father, and I would like to play a game together the internet. The issue is that my father has slow reaction times and generally only enjoys games that have a slow pace, such as turn based or grand strategy games. Playing strategy games together has worked in the past, but now with less time to play games and being in separate locations usually means the time my father takes to play at his pace creates dead time for my brother and I were it is likely other responsibilities or entertainment will de-rail the game. I was wondering if there were any games out there that could accommodate differing play styles and paces of play in the same game.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    I don't know if it fits your gameplay directive, but LotR War in the North has three-player co-op.

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    NebulousQ wrote: »
    Hey do you have any recommendations for co-op games for three people with asymmetrical game play?

My brother, my father, and I would like to play a game together the internet. The issue is that my father has slow reaction times and generally only enjoys games that have a slow pace, such as turn based or grand strategy games. Playing strategy games together has worked in the past, but now with less time to play games and being in separate locations usually means the time my father takes to play at his pace creates dead time for my brother and I were it is likely other responsibilities or entertainment will de-rail the game. I was wondering if there were any games out there that could accommodate differing play styles and paces of play in the same game.

Talisman. Super fun board game playable online. Matter of fact, it's on a steep sale right now. You can get six copies of the base game for like $18.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    It's kind of a weird suggestion, but World of Warships can kind of do this. If you drive battleships, you have a long time between shots and have to plan your moves ahead, while if you drive destroyers the action can get pretty frantic. Then carriers are a completely different thing that is almost like a top-down RTS sort of thing.

steam_sig.png
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes.

Maybe, just maybe, it could work. :P

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Umihara Kawase returning to Steam.

http://www.siliconera.com/2016/01/26/umihara-kawase-returns-steam-january-28th/
    Umihara Kawase will return to Steam on January 28th after being removed from sale earlier this month due to the closure of publisher Agatsuma Entertainment.

The return has been made possible to Degica acquiring the rights to the games. The company has confirmed that people who previously bought the Umihara Kawase games on Steam will not have to re-purchase.

“We believe it is important to support the digital ownership rights of players to the fullest reasonable extent,” reads the announcement.

• SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    Thank goodness, I was waffling on picking them up or not and then when I decided to get them they were gone.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I can't decide whether to resub or to throw the $15/mo at TESO or something else... maybe FF14. Decisions.

Remember The Secret World, Pixie?

• Ed GrubermanEd Gruberman Registered User regular

Dungeon of the Endless might work as well as it runs in waves, plus you could have your dad play as an operator and just man a kill room. I was watching @UseR2006 @KoopahTroopah @EvmaAlsar and @TeeMan play it earlier today so they might be able to give a better opinion

steam_sig.png

SteamID: edgruberman GOG Galaxy: EdGruberman
    edited January 2016
    I don't know if it fits your gameplay directive, but LotR War in the North has three-player co-op.

I second this recommendation. Not the best game ever made, but a lot of fun with 3 people. I played through it twice. Solo, sadly, but the little bit of coop I got to do I enjoyed greatly. It's not SLOW paced, but with two of you playing, your father could play ranged and stay out of danger a bit.

vamen on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular

Dungeon of the Endless might work as well as it runs in waves, plus you could have your dad play as an operator and just man a kill room. I was watching UseR2006 "KoopahTroopah" EvmaAlsar and TeeMan play it earlier today so they might be able to give a better opinion

Dungeon is a decent pickup for that. Most multiplayer games involve having someone play an operator who stands in a room and collects resources by themselves, while the rest of the team fights rooms of monsters. Admittedly the multiplayer for Dungeon is pretty buggy still unfortunately. Armello is a really fresh turn based digital board game. You could also get TableTop Simulator for you guys and get any board games you guys have played together already IRL. Trine might be good? Three player puzzle game where two of the three users focus on combat where the one of the three focuses on creating puzzle blocks. Dungeon Defenders could be good. Magicka might be hard to pick up, but would definitely be entertaining. Mining/building games like Terraria and Starbound might be decent too, although probably a little obtuse.

I'm sure there are others but those are some decent "non-reflex" multiplayer games I've played.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular

I second this recommendation. Not the best game ever made, but a lot of fun with 3 people. I played through it twice. Solo, sadly, but the little bit of coop I got to do I enjoyed greatly. It's not SLOW paced, but with two of you playing, your father could play ranged and stay out of danger a bit.

Just a heads up, but some of the levels are almost literally unplayable in War of the North if you've got an AMD GPU. I had to quit playing it because I was getting crashes every two minutes.

Burnage wrote: »

Just a heads up, but some of the levels are almost literally unplayable in War of the North if you've got an AMD GPU. I had to quit playing it because I was getting crashes every two minutes.

That's a bummer, I was not aware of that.

• MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I might suggest The Yawhg. You could take turns with the controller, each picking a character. (and voting on the actions of the character/characters left over)

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    Thank goodness, I was waffling on picking them up or not and then when I decided to get them they were gone.

I don't even know what those games are, I'm just happy to see removed games coming back to Steam.

I don't think it been more than a week since I last played it, but yes, it's still there...

steam_sig.png

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

I think that was only during Christmas.

Steam: offday
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

Remember The Secret World, Pixie?

Mayyyyyyybe... :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Secret World was pretty awesome. The writing and world were very interesting.

I think I got bored with all the investigations and quests that asked for me to turn on my brain though. Not really my thing.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

Though the only thing I remember is that after my first playthrough, is that I unlocked the scantily clad bikini attire for what is supposedly a high school girl.

that game scared me so badly that i unplugged my playstation and took the game to gamestop the next day.

steam_sig.png
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular

i was unaware of this

it is amazing in the worst way imaginable.

steam_sig.png
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    anoffday wrote: »

I think that was only during Christmas.

They extended it so you can still play it online. The ability to play it in private matches will come next patch.

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    I know of Fatal Frame, as a game series that is in the horror genre that I don't commonly play. That's about it.

I prefer my terrifying creatures to at least be killable, even if they are hard to kill (Dark Souls, et al) rather than other modalities.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'd love to know how Dontnod came off a promising but mediocre game to just casually declare mastery of a genre Telltale has been hammering away at for years with their second game.

Have you played Tales from the borderlands yet? It brought them full circle from the drama direction they've been going with WD and the other not as funny games, back to their roots

Not yet, but I've heard good things. It'll be nice to eventually hit up an episodic game that isn't full of heartbreaking pathos.

s7Imn5J.png
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    I know of Fatal Frame, as a game series that is in the horror genre that I don't commonly play. That's about it.

I prefer my terrifying creatures to at least be killable, even if they are hard to kill (Dark Souls, et al) rather than other modalities.

Actually Fatal Frame is all about killing ghosts. Harder difficulty settings actually lower the number of encounters, so you have fewer opportunities to earn the points to upgrade your camera.

...wow, I've really been borderline frothing about these games for a few pages now, and they're not on Steam. Um. Yay, it's Tomb Raider week?

This discussion has been closed.