As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Handheld gaming at PAX South

MaggieTheCatMaggieTheCat Registered User regular
Just wondering what systems and games everyone is bringing with them this year. I will have my 3DS with me along with an assortment of games, including:

Final Fantasy Theatrhythm: Curtain Call -- I would LOVE to meet some other players, this is kind of a niche game and hard to find others who play it
Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Smash Bros.

Maybe a few others.

What is generally the best way to meet other people playing the same games as you? I only ever attended PAX South last year (none of the other PAXes) and the Handheld lounge was just a big mass of people playing their systems but there didn't seem to be an organized way to meet up with anyone else who was playing a specific game, unless I missed something.

• DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    in general there usually isn't a very organized way to find people for a game. there is a looking for group twitter hashtag you can use, but I've heard it doesn't always return the greatest results. Honestly, the best way is usually to just go up to people and ask, or wave around a game box or a sign or something and kinda get people to look at you and eventually somebody will be like i'm down to play do you need players? I suppose it's a little harder with handhelds though compared to board games or console games because with handhelds the other person needs a copy of the game.

I carry around a whiteboard or something to scribble notes on and wave around so I can easily get people to join me for whatever i'm trying to get a group for.

• podunk the mightypodunk the mighty Game Designer TexasRegistered User regular
    Whenever I'm in a big enough crowd, say waiting for the expo hall to open, I always check for or host a Smash lobby. Usually a good time to get games in that way. : )

On Their Merry Way Is On Kickstarter Today!
    I design games under the name New Experience Workshop.
    Website. Facebook. Twitter.
  • Deaths CrowbarDeaths Crowbar That guy that does the Things "East Bound and Down" AKA TexarkanaRegistered User regular
    If you have it Mario Kart 7 can be great since not everyone has to have the game to play, and yes I will bring mine.

• village alchemistvillage alchemist Library Lurker Collegetown, TXRegistered User regular
    i brought my 3DS last year, but i had trouble staying connected to the open wi-fi. not sure if i'm willing to add the weight to my bag this year.

• xLira03xLira03 Registered User regular
    I always bring my 3DS to any kind of conventions because I do the Mii puzzles and I love getting Miis from different parts of the world. My US map is almost complete! I need maybe 4 more states.

The sign thing is a good idea for looking for fellow players. I'm sure yelling (politely) works too esp at the lounge.

As for what games I'm bringing:
    - Pokemon (the current gen)
    - Animal Crossing
    - Fire Emblem: Awakening
    - Smash Bros <-- a must for cons

• IrsoolIrsool Registered User regular
    Bringing a 3DS is a pretty safe bet. Smash bros was pretty popular last year and I saw playing all weekend.

I'll be bringing my 3DS with Smash, Animal Crossing, and a few other games this time around ^^

uV3Kd9v.png
  • RaremilkRaremilk Registered User regular
    Don't forget to clear your queue of Miis at the plaza!

• Delacroix01Delacroix01 Registered User regular
    I'm bringing Smash, Yo-Kai Watch, Fantasy Life!

• podunk the mightypodunk the mighty Game Designer TexasRegistered User regular
    Just a reminder to everyone- Make sure you've got your software updated BEFORE the convention! That way you don't get there and find out you can't play, especially with Smash.

On Their Merry Way Is On Kickstarter Today!
    I design games under the name New Experience Workshop.
    Website. Facebook. Twitter.
  • ChaiMoonChaiMoon Registered User new member
    I usually carry Monster Hunter, Animal Crossing HHD, and that Final Fantasy Curtain Call. Plus by then I will have the FF Explorers!

• electricstormelectricstorm Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I'm bringing Smash, Animal Crossing (NL & HHD), Pokemon (Y & ORAS), Tomodachi Life, Mario Kart 7, and maybe something else. I had a lot of fun joining up with folks in the Handheld Lounge for various games and StreetPass stuff.

• macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    If you're looking for Pokemon battles, you want to look for the PAX Pokemon League in handheld lounge, they'll be wearing green scarves. Battle those gym leaders to win their badges. Expect there to be lines for this. There will usually be a lot of people nearby looking to trade or battle pokemon while they wait.

• bartapbartap Registered User regular
    I'm bringing Pokemon (OR/AS & X/Y), Smash Bros, Monster Hunter 4U and Cross, Mario Kart 7, and many others. I'd love to meetup and hang out with some folks for some handheld gaming!

• DustyStarrDustyStarr Registered User regular
    Can ORAS and XY battle against each other? Thinking about just bringing one to save space.

• RILMSRILMS North BayRegistered User regular
    I just bought a 3DS at a pawnshop today with Brain Age 2 and New Super Mario Bros 2. This is the first handheld I've owned since the first Gameboy....god I feel old now.....

Anyway, I spent the afternoon updating it, creating my Mii, and a bunch of other things. Excited to play games on it. I'm still going to check out some other pawnshops to see if they have any other games

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • xLira03xLira03 Registered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Can ORAS and XY battle against each other? Thinking about just bringing one to save space.

Yes, but some ORAS things aren't compatible with XY.

• 52max52max Registered User regular
    Anybody have any details about the handheld tournaments? I'm specifically looking for what the Tetris rules will be.

• ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    RILMS wrote: »
    I just bought a 3DS at a pawnshop today with Brain Age 2 and New Super Mario Bros 2. This is the first handheld I've owned since the first Gameboy....god I feel old now.....

Anyway, I spent the afternoon updating it, creating my Mii, and a bunch of other things. Excited to play games on it. I'm still going to check out some other pawnshops to see if they have any other games

I can't remember if there is an extra step after creating a Mii, but just make sure you have everything ready if you wanted to collect streetpasses.

B2YfFSb.png
    I think I did...I clicked on a bunch of things and one of them was activating Streetpass...so, I think I am good to go...I'll have one of my more gameboy savvy friends check it out before we head over there :)

OtyHMcu.jpg
  • YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I think I did...I clicked on a bunch of things and one of them was activating Streetpass...so, I think I am good to go...I'll have one of my more gameboy savvy friends check it out before we head over there :)

If you think it's working:
    Make sure networking is on (the slider on the right side), the yellow light will be on.
    Put it into sleep mode (close the lid without turning it off)
    Go to a McDonalds(or any other Nintendo partner) the streetpass light should start flashing in less than a minute.

If it does, you are good to go.

edited January 2016
    I will check it out. Thanks :)

Why will it be flasing at McDonald's? Just being by their wifi gives you something? Nevermind, I googled it and learned about the Nintendo zones. I can also check out the Best Buy near me :)

RILMS on
    OtyHMcu.jpg
  • PirateTruckPirateTruck Registered User regular
    I have Monster Hunter 4U but have been playing other games so haven't done anything other than the first 2 or 3 starter missions. Should I even bother trying to play multi or just stick to other games?

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    I may be slightly biased, but I highly recommend the Handheld Lounge :D

• YoungFreyYoungFrey Registered User regular
    I will check it out. Thanks :)

Why will it be flasing at McDonald's? Just being by their wifi gives you something? Nevermind, I googled it and learned about the Nintendo zones. I can also check out the Best Buy near me :)

Sorry about the confusion, I just selected McDonalds because it's easily the most common NintendoZone in the US.