As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I maeks ugly arts (NSFW)

flyingmonkeyflyingmonkey Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Artist's Corner
Figured what the hey, I've got some stuff I could post up.

badapple.jpg

Gotta start things off right, what what.

secondapple.jpg

Second try from a new angle...I think it is getting better.

tablethands.jpg

Hands..ugh.

Might as well add in some pencil stuff I've been messin with..

HWIP.jpg

HLWIP.jpg

perkywip-1.jpg

I'm still futzin with all of the pencil crap. Anywho, critique and bash away.

I'd love some tips on making my apples look more appley.

Almost forgot to tag this NSFW, but someone beat me to the edit: Thanks mods!

3. And quit this emo-slumming shit. Fuck.
flyingmonkey on

• Options
    3ft3ft Registered User regular
    edited October 2007
    I'd recommend with the faces at least, getting your hands on a book that goes into detail about the structure of the human face. They do seem a tad off to me, but that's just me sayin' (I'm more of a cartoonist, so wadda I know, eh?) As for your apple business... The best bet is going off of a real world example, smooth out the lines alittle, and have some fun with the soft white light spots to give it more of that appley-glossy look.

S'all I got.

3ft on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Thanks for the feedback. I try to put down guidelines and adhere to them, but I think I inevitably wander. Hopefully I can fire off some more faces, work up a better understanding of structure.

flyingmonkey on
  • Options
    RusticCreatureRusticCreature Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The face in the second to last picture is actually fairly decent. This is because you shaded it properly by using the side of the pencil. Never use the point of the pencil to shade (at least not on these kinds of drawings).

Spend more time on construction, and you must constantly check features against each other to make shure they're placed properly.

RusticCreature on
  • Options
    hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The 2nd face (below the peace sign) has some symmetry issues. The nose looks good, but the eyes seem too close together. Keep it up!

PS
    Is that House MD?

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes..yes it is. I'd say it feels good someone can recognize the face, but let's face (har har) it, he's got a pretty distinctive face.

And yeah, I'm trying to muster up the gumption to go back and fix symmetry issues in poor heath ledger. Each half of his face looks different : /.

flyingmonkey on
  • Options
    AgoodzAgoodz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I recognized hugh laurie immediately, but there's still some funny things going on in that drawing... I think his eyes make him most recognizable, try to add some more detail to them.

Agoodz on
  • Options
    vrempirevrempire Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For that House MD, try to add more wrinkles. The face is not tense yet like the character in TV.
    anyway, that apple looks good, flyingmonkey.

vrempire on
    vrembanner.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    glibinksmall.jpg

Took a stab at digital inking today. I'm really satisfied with what amounts to my second attempt inking anything. Ever. Other than like fucking Garfield when I was 9. Still not sure how to get textures down, but that will hopefully come with practice (or any tuts anyone knows? hmm? hmm?)

flyingmonkey on