As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Prison Architect update 3 is out, now with guard towers and snipers.

steam_sig.png
  • QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Have you seen the jrpgs in my backlog? @ReverseCreations can't be stopped. He is an unstoppable menace. Incapable of anything beyond the gifting of games you can't ever truly complete.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    After my sad evening of being disappointed by Final Fantasy Explorers, which I was greatly looking forward to, a friend of mine gifted me "Empyrion - Galactic Survival" because he and a few others had been playing on a server they made and trying to get me to join. The result is I am at work today, bleary-eyed with about 2 hours of sleep under my belt because I spent all night/early morning creating a working small ship that looks like a toddler made it.

Good times!

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Refund received for Dragon's Dogma.

Never have six minutes made me tingle.

Although it was worrisome that the title screen lagged while the game ran fine and my pawn cutscene was smooth as butter.

But I'm kinda sick of the thing Dragon's Dogma, Spec Ops: The Line, and the first metro game do. Dropping you at the end, then going back to the beginning.

Let's call it the dessert method.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I'm confused. If you liked it why did you return it?

camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2016

Although it was worrisome that the title screen lagged while the game ran fine and my pawn cutscene was smooth as butter.

But I'm kinda sick of the thing Dragon's Dogma, Spec Ops: The Line, and the first metro game do. Dropping you at the end, then going back to the beginning.

As far as dropping you at the end...
    That is not the end. That's BEFORE.

vamen on
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Nvidia driver for Tomb Raider and Division Beta is up.

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Man, The Witcher 3 is a pretty good game.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t13GKrC0Nc8

Hard Reset Redux trailer.

Mainly aimed at bringing it to consoles, though the update is coming to PC, making it the second re-release of the title there. Visual upgrades and a Katana appear to be the main differences.

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

That wasn't the end. Or the middle.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    just realized in massive chalice you can have a keep with two same sex rulers and they can adopt. bonus points massive chalice

I seem to recall that was a point of contention for a certain segment of Kickstarter backers when DF announced they'd have that in the game. I'm glad those people were ignored.

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    i love it when those people are ignored. they should be ignored more often, practically at all times

• DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Oh cool, Romance of the Three Kingdoms is coming to Steam....wait....三國志13!...that's Chinese...oh
    English language not supported
    This product does not have support for your local language. Please review the supported language list below before purchasing

Oh. Koei, you're doing it wrong.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

The storytelling method you're describing is called in media res, and it's older than dirt. One of the more popular works to incorporate it was The Odyssee (and amusingly enough The Aeneid, and then keeping with the Greco-Roman theme the first God of War game).

When done right it can be a pretty good way to make a piece of media compelling for the reader/viewer/player to finish since major portions of the piece are just a leadup to some perilous point later in the story.

I think Spec Ops handled it very well, and that's as much as I can say withoit spoiling anything.

SmokeStacks on
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    The best part of In medias res is that it means "in the middle of things". It literally does what it says. Along with time travel and alternate dimensions, it's one of my favorite things used in stories.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Ohhhh shit there is an area-maze game on Steam

http://store.steampowered.com/app/434620/

It's two dollars. Don't think buy buy buy buy I hope you like simple math buy buy calculators aren't necessary buy buy

Glorious
    hh3422bjlf5b.jpg

Ugh, I blacked out there for a moment and when I came to I was doing my son's math homework...?
    LAhH24v.png

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2

The storytelling method you're describing is called in media res, and it's older than dirt. One of the more popular works to incorporate it was The Odyssee (and amusingly enough The Aeneid, and then keeping with the Greco-Roman theme the first God of War game).

When done right it can be a pretty good way to make a piece of media compelling for the reader/viewer/player to finish since major portions of the piece are just a leadup to some perilous point later in the story.

I think Spec Ops handled it very well, and that's as much as I can say withoit spoiling anything.

Today, I learned.

or RE-learned, because I knew this at some point in my life but had forgotten. I enjoyed the reminder!

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    In this thread: logic problems, math homework, literature lessons... what next - essay assignments?

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    You heard it here folks, send Pixie both games _and_ essays!

camo_sig2.png
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    In this thread: logic problems, math homework, literature lessons... what next - essay assignments?

Dream of the day when natural language processing can evaluate such a thing effectively, and assign cheevos to it.

n57PM0C.jpg
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

TIS-100 it is.

10 years of college.

I wrote enough essays, tyvm.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »

Dream of the day when natural language processing can evaluate such a thing effectively, and assign cheevos to it.

Well, there are no cheevos or anything, but there's Watson.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
    Man, The Witcher 3 is a pretty good game.

Things I've noticed so far having played previous Witcher games and mostly liking them but finding some stuff frustrating.

- The combat is better! I heard middling things about the combat system but they really improved it. Against a single standard enemy there's no reason for you to ever take any damage. Between Quen, Axii, dodging, and parrying you're covered. Against two enemies, you generally need to make a choice of which person to focus on and really go in for the kill, usually I do this with Quen to block their counter and then Axii to stun the other one.

Against 3+, there's still maybe a bit more dive-rolling than I'd like, but there's much more of a sense of being able to really destroy a few people at a time while using Signs and bombs for crowd control. And man that first Griffin fight! It was lovely, I didn't expect to be able to stun the thing in the air and watch it fall from the sky. And it really did have like 5000 health, it just needed some potion management to beat.

- Potions/meditating are nicer! The split between decoctions and potions allows for the best of both worlds in terms of long-term and short-term effects, with the need to meditate and prep every 30 minutes just in case of a fight turned into the need to meditate so that you're ready for whatever might come, with the potions more acting as a sudden boost in a hard fight and the decoctions like "I'm gonna go look for a fight now".

- Equipment is a lot more sensible and interesting. The crafting stuff is maybe a bit overly involved what with dozens of materials, but it's also not too senseless. Break stuff down, build stuff up, only costs a few bucks, easy to pin things and make sure you're getting the right stuff. Though it's still a bit funny how they're like "oh hey if you want to have a silver sword plus a like... blackjack? Go ahead. I mean. Why? But sure, go ahead and ditch your custom-built steel sword that poisons people for this lumpy sack of lead."

- Holy crud the world is massive. And lovely to look at.

- The writing is a lot better. Even gravelly silly-voice Geralt has a lot more moments that seem genuine.

- The pacing is a lot better. It's rare I don't WANT to go find out what's going on, where in the past two games I'd occasionally feel adrift.

Overall, impressive! Gonna be digging into this all week and every time I get too sad to continue with XCOM2 next month.

Gotta agree with other people I've read that they made a mistake with the all-white fantasy world, though. The world is steeped racism against minority cultures in the various states, but only fantastical minorities. It feels weird to do a find-and-replace on real opression. The fact that they were like "Our world is so gritty and real it even has racism!" in marketing materials also makes it ring very silly. They could have done something more complex with regards to the treatment of minority members of the population who were human vs. a fantasy race, or they could have just had some non-white faces in this fantasy kingdom for the heck of it if they wanted to run with the treatment that only non-humans were oppressed in this world.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.

10 years of college.

Are you a doctor? I took 8 total and have a Master's and a friend is entering a PhD program. His descriptions of the program have assured that he hates both his time and his money.

camo_sig2.png

10 years of college.

Are you a doctor? I took 8 total and have a Master's and a friend is entering a PhD program. His descriptions of the program have assured that he hates both his time and his money.

~* never get a PhD the academic market is collapsing *~

God I hope my friends can ever get jobs.

I took 10 years to get a Bachelors in Fine Art and a minor in English.

If you look at my Steam playtimes, this should all make sense.

10 years of college.

5 years for my BA
    2 years for my MA
    and then 3 years of a PhD (ABD) I didn't finish for reasons.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular

10 years of college.

This is weirdly comforting to me.

I don't wish ill to any of your friends or anyone who tries to better themselves... but I went to film school and then ended up a QA tester with not a lot of prospects. The idea that no matter what choice I had made for college, I might be screwed... is somewhat soothing.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Gotta agree with other people I've read that they made a mistake with the all-white fantasy world, though. The world is steeped racism against minority cultures in the various states, but only fantastical minorities. It feels weird to do a find-and-replace on real opression. The fact that they were like "Our world is so gritty and real it even has racism!" in marketing materials also makes it ring very silly. They could have done something more complex with regards to the treatment of minority members of the population who were human vs. a fantasy race, or they could have just had some non-white faces in this fantasy kingdom for the heck of it if they wanted to run with the treatment that only non-humans were oppressed in this world.

They kind of did something more complex in setting up the political struggles as an analogue for issues in Polish history which was stated as a big goal for them but that kind of thing probably flew over the heads of anyone who didn't grow up in Poland. I think that they were trying to set up a fantasy version of the Partitions of Poland or WWII period based on some light research given how Temeria is culturally Polish and Nilfgaard based on the HRE and Redania is similar to but not quite the same culture as Temeria which would mirror German states and Russia carving onto Poland. So there was a big political and social issue under the microscope but it's a very Polish one and having learned about it makes going through the game more interesting than just thinking about how the Niilfgardians sure love black and white doublets while Temerians don't.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    I'm confused. If you liked it why did you return it?

I only bought it to demo it, sticking to my budget.

Also needed to see the hype.

MuddBudd wrote: »

10 years of college.

I don't wish ill to any of your friends or anyone who tries to better themselves... but I went to film school and then ended up a QA tester with not a lot of prospects. The idea that no matter what choice I had made for college, I might be screwed... is somewhat soothing.

It really is! I mean yeah I got my MS and got out, and I had a terrible time finding work. Obviously I hope my friends all wind up with tenure-track jobs or 6-figure salaries but for real the ascetic pursuit of good grades in a "good" undergrad program followed great performance in a grad program can wind up just delaying your shitty post-university job hunting until your 30's, with a CV that employers think is worthless. A friend tried getting a job with an Astronomy MS and eventually needed to drop it to the bottom of the Resume for people to even look at it, since "what use is Astronomy in [X field he was highly qualified to work in due to his extensive experience doing that exact thing for years]?"

So don't feel like you missed out on the "proper" choice. Anything but inheriting involves a lot of rolling the dice.

Abolish the wage system!

On-topic: I kind of wish there was a game about the progress of science that was more complex than just "continuous slow improvement". I don't know how you'd manage that, though. Maybe Stellaris? They seem to be doing an interesting thing with the special projects.

10 years of college.

The guy that designed the telvanni architecture minored in architecture and majored in political science.

In his own words, basically, "The end of the cold war left little opportunity to help start a new country, so I made mushroom castles."

They kind of did something more complex in setting up the political struggles as an analogue for issues in Polish history which was stated as a big goal for them but that kind of thing probably flew over the heads of anyone who didn't grow up in Poland. I think that they were trying to set up a fantasy version of the Partitions of Poland or WWII period based on some light research given how Temeria is culturally Polish and Nilfgaard based on the HRE and Redania is similar to but not quite the same culture as Temeria which would mirror German states and Russia carving onto Poland. So there was a big political and social issue under the microscope but it's a very Polish one and having learned about it makes going through the game more interesting than just thinking about how the Niilfgardians sure love black and white doublets while Temerians don't.

Oh, politically they did something lovely. It's a reasonably complex situation with what feels like a pretty realistic presentation of the sort of nationalism and conflict experienced by a lot of states in the medieval period. I like that you get a pretty good coverage of people heaping abuse on anyone they think can't fight back, and the sort of jockeying the peasants need to do just to live in the world with these assholes starting wars. I like that Geralt is generally an empathetic defender of the commoner.

It's that addition of "they're targeting everyone different from themselves... you know... fantastical non-human races that are markedly physically distinct and arrived in the world via magic" part that I don't like. It's simpler and dumber than the political work.

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular

i too went to film school and all of the jobs anyone ever offered my were none paying jobs (we're paying you in experience) and so the only paying jobs flexible enough to work around my film jobs were call center jobs and after a few years i slowly just took more hours doing that and less doing film work.
    i still feel like i got screwed though, but i can see where youre coming from. it could always be worse.

edited January 2016

i too went to film school and all of the jobs anyone ever offered my were none paying jobs (we're paying you in experience) and so the only paying jobs flexible enough to work around my film jobs were call center jobs and after a few years i slowly just took more hours doing that and less doing film work.
    i still feel like i got screwed though, but i can see where youre coming from. it could always be worse.

That sounds like the exact tale of how my music dream died, right down to the call center.
    Granted I've been trying to revive it lately after realizing I stopped pursuing my dreams in my 20s (which bummed me out). But I'm 35 now sooooooo...not looking good =p.

vamen on
    edited January 2016

i still feel like i got screwed though, but i can see where you're coming from. it could always be worse.

Apparently, no one informed employers that being paid in experience only works in the video game world.
    vamen wrote: »

That sounds like the exact tale of how my music dream died, right down to the call center.
    Granted I've been trying to revive it lately after realizing I stopped pursuing my dreams in my 20s (which bummed me out). But I'm 35 now sooooooo...not looking good =p.

Never. Give. Up.

Kalnaur on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Started playing TIS-100. Only on the 3rd program, but it's stretching my brain muscles something fierce. It's been a couple of years since I did any serious programming and that part of my brain has atrophied.

• JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I find I actually like games which are like homework versions of what I do for work.

This is mostly because those problems are guaranteed to have actual solutions, unlike work.

Jragghen wrote: »
    I find I actually like games which are like homework versions of what I do for work.

This is mostly because those problems are guaranteed to have actual solutions, unlike work.

That's like, on of the Basic Games: work, only you'll definitely find the solution because it exists in a closed system that has been tested.

This discussion has been closed.