As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

San Antonio Restaurant/Dining Suggestions 2016

2»

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    DustyStarr wrote: »
    Whattaburger is also open 24/7 no?

A nice plus is that there is a police substation in the same structure (they are both part of a large parking garage), so even at 3AM it's very safe. Not that our downtown is sketchy, but cosplayers and some others may feel better going someplace like that in the wee hours. ;-)

• Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I really need to find a place that has good breakfast tacos. Is there a spot close to the Convention Center? I could make the trek to Taco Taco

kube00 on
    1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    electricstormelectricstorm Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I know some folks might cringe at this, but my friends and I ate at the Rivercenter Mall and there were some decent choices there. I mean it's mall food (Dairy Queen, a Chinese place, IHOP Express, etc.), but if you don't want to shell out a lot of cash then it is an option that's close by. Of course, those places will close when the mall closes, so keep an eye on the time. The Marriott Rivercenter has a Starbucks in the lobby, so if you need your caffeine/pastry fix there's that. The bar in the Marriott Rivercenter isn't that bad either. I'm a fan of their daiquiris. Of course there's the Riverwalk which has a ton of dining options. Just beware that it can get crowded because tourists like to hang out there too. There's a McDonald's within walking distance too. Not the best cuisine, but if you want to save some $$$ it is there. There's a Denny's next to the Marriott too.

• Options
    electricstormelectricstorm Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    kube00 wrote: »
    I really need to find a place that has good breakfast tacos. Is there a spot close to the Convention Center? I could make the trek to Taco Taco

I believe La Vilita Cafe serves a variety of them. It's within proximity of the Hilton Palacio Del Rio.

• Options
    ahstoddardahstoddard President-kidnapping Ninja Houston-ishRegistered User regular
    I know some folks might cringe at this, but my friends and I ate at the Rivercenter Mall and there were some decent choices there. I mean it's mall food (Dairy Queen, a Chinese place, IHOP Express, etc.), but if you don't want to shell out a lot of cash then it is an option that's close by. Of course, those places will close when the mall closes, so keep an eye on the time. The Marriott Rivercenter has a Starbucks in the lobby, so if you need your caffeine/pastry fix there's that. The bar in the Marriott Rivercenter isn't that bad either. I'm a fan of their daiquiris. Of course there's the Riverwalk which has a ton of dining options. Just beware that it can get crowded because tourists like to hang out there too. There's a McDonald's within walking distance too. Not the best cuisine, but if you want to save some $$$ it is there. There's a Denny's next to the Marriott too.

I ended up eating lunch on Friday at the mall, and it didn't kill me, so there is that.

B2YfFSb.png
  • Options
    kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular

I believe La Vilita Cafe serves a variety of them. It's within proximity of the Hilton Palacio Del Rio.

Thanks for the suggestion!

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • Options
    AerikanAerikan Game Design Manager Wellington NZRegistered User regular
    Worth getting the ten minutes or so out of downtown to go to Alamo Beer http://alamobeer.com/

They have awesome beer, an amazing location, and are sponsoring our PAX Game night!

• Options
    JT0418JT0418 san antonio, texasRegistered User regular

Thanks for the suggestion!

Don't do Taco Taco off hildebrand and mccullough. We have postmates in San Antonio, so perhaps look at yelp for top tacos and then see if postmates could deliver them for you.

• Options
    DanQDanQ Registered User regular
    After driving for 12 hours and living on junk food, anybody have recommendations for a place with good salads or otherwise fresh veggies and non greasy food. I'll do the whole Texas BBQ thing tomorrow.

• Options
    orthancstoneorthancstone TexasRegistered User regular
    DanQ wrote: »
    After driving for 12 hours and living on junk food, anybody have recommendations for a place with good salads or otherwise fresh veggies and non greasy food. I'll do the whole Texas BBQ thing tomorrow.

Green has a spot located at Pearl if you don't mind driving over there.

PAX South 2018 - Jan 12-14!
    Pins!
  • Options
    JT0418JT0418 san antonio, texasRegistered User regular
    Tonight they will be showing the spurs game outside on blow up screens at a few places downtown if you care to do that. Friendly spot is one, paper tiger is supposed to show the game also.
    If you are doing BBQ tomorrow, do smoke shack, best bang for your buck there. Tomorrow if the weather is good check out sanchos, cheap margaritas till 7pm and small rooftop area to talk/chill. Could also check out any of the bars in the pearl area. I enjoy cured, half off cocktails/beers from 3-6 with 50 cent quail legs.

• Options
    japesterjapester Registered User regular
    DanQ wrote: »

I don't know about fresh food downtown, but depending on your route coming in, you may pass right by one of my favorite places, Zoe's Kitchen. There is one off I-10 on the northwest side of the city if you are coming in from that way. If you are starting from the convention center area, the closest one is about 15 minutes north by car.
    http://zoeskitchen.com

I'm not a vegetarian, but a friend who is recommended it to me. Billed as Mediterranean food, but nothing extreme. Just great, fresh salads, kebobs, and hummus. Greek salad with grilled chicken is insanely good. And because it has potatoes it'll stick to your ribs. Really reasonable prices, too. Huge salad with meat is $10. The wife and I tend to eat there twice a week.

• Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    The best pizza is Florio's on Broadway. About 15 minutes north of downtown. Worth a taxi ride or something. Best NY style pizza in the state, IMO. Run by a family from New York. Don't take too long to order or you'll get some sass.

Also Rosario's is down the road. Awesome, awesome Mexican. Upscale but stil reasonable prices and casual enough.

steam_sig.png