As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    vamen wrote: »
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »

This is weirdly comforting to me.

I don't wish ill to any of your friends or anyone who tries to better themselves... but I went to film school and then ended up a QA tester with not a lot of prospects. The idea that no matter what choice I had made for college, I might be screwed... is somewhat soothing.

i too went to film school and all of the jobs anyone ever offered my were none paying jobs (we're paying you in experience) and so the only paying jobs flexible enough to work around my film jobs were call center jobs and after a few years i slowly just took more hours doing that and less doing film work.
    i still feel like i got screwed though, but i can see where youre coming from. it could always be worse.

That sounds like the exact tale of how my music dream died, right down to the call center.
    Granted I've been trying to revive it lately after realizing I stopped pursuing my dreams in my 20s (which bummed me out). But I'm 35 now sooooooo...not looking good =p.

I'm 43. I stopped pursuing most of my dreams a long time ago. Now that I'm looking down the barrel at the end of a 17-year relationship (with all the chaos that that entails), I find myself questioning a lot of life choices. And in that is a growing desire to start picking up where I left some of those dreams in my 20s. I figure I've a few good decades left.

You're 35. Plenty of time. Don't give up.

Pixelated Pixie on
    ~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    I haven't played anything in forever. I just can't get into any of the games I have. Too much to do, not enough time.

• Options
    BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    just realized in massive chalice you can have a keep with two same sex rulers and they can adopt. bonus points massive chalice

I'm kind of addicted to the new Harvest Moon clone that just came out, World's Dawn. When you first start playing, the character creation lets you choose gender*, hairstyle (not even color), and then which gender you are interested in dating: Male, Female, or Both. I thought that was pretty awesome. The fact that the creation was so simple and limited, but that they made that choice and those options available was so great.

As addictive as it is, it's not perfect. The controls are pretty bad (keyboard only, arrow keys instead of wasd), and the graphics options (screen size) are non-existent. Also, your farming plot is pretty small and doesn't seem like it can be expanded. It's more about the town as a whole than just your farm though. Anyway, despite that, I've been having a lot of fun with it. I'm thinking it should tide me over until Stardew Valley finally comes out!

It even defaulted to female. It's so rare to see female as the default choice going into a game that it really stood out to me. And no, games shouldn't always have female as the default choice all the time. It was just quite refreshing to see.

• Options
    GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular

I don't wish ill to any of your friends or anyone who tries to better themselves... but I went to film school and then ended up a QA tester with not a lot of prospects. The idea that no matter what choice I had made for college, I might be screwed... is somewhat soothing.

i too went to film school and all of the jobs anyone ever offered my were none paying jobs (we're paying you in experience) and so the only paying jobs flexible enough to work around my film jobs were call center jobs and after a few years i slowly just took more hours doing that and less doing film work.
    i still feel like i got screwed though, but i can see where youre coming from. it could always be worse.

@Petesalzl Do you live in Los Angeles? I work in the film industry and might be able to give you some advice/help. If not, I may be able to give you some advice.

I got my degrees in Forensic Science and Philosophy, but immediately dumped those to work in film. I did A LOT of free gigs and experience does matter in the industry. Very few people get paid at first, but I may be able to point you in the right direction. If you (or anyone else) is interested, feel free to PM me.

I've brought a lot of people along in my career in different departments so depending on what you actually want to do in the industry, I probably know somebody.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

That sounds like the exact tale of how my music dream died, right down to the call center.
    Granted I've been trying to revive it lately after realizing I stopped pursuing my dreams in my 20s (which bummed me out). But I'm 35 now sooooooo...not looking good =p.

Unsuccessful writer here with a similar story arc, only swap call center for bank teller. Changing careers in my 30s has been difficult, to put it mildly, but you could not force me back into the trenches at gunpoint. Retail finance erodes the soul on a good day, and there were many not-good days after certain events in 2008.

Someday I'll get back to writing something other than fanfiction I have tried very hard to forget.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    My dreams are to find a way to deal with the cinderblock sitting on my chest that is the crippling existential dread that has clawed its way into my soul and is the reason I haven't gotten a full night's sleep since the day I turned 30 and to adjust to the reality that my life is nowhere near what I thought it would be like or has the potential to be like and allllllso to work on my Steam backlog (not necessarily in that order).

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I'm 43. I stopped pursuing most of my dreams a long time ago. Now that I'm looking down the barrel at the end of a 17-year relationship (with all the chaos that that entails), I find myself questioning a lot of life choices. And in that is a growing desire to start picking up where I left some of those dreams in my 20s. I figure I've a few good decades left.

Traditionally, a Corvette is the first step.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Grove wrote: »

@Petesalzl Do you live in Los Angeles? I work in the film industry and might be able to give you some advice/help. If not, I may be able to give you some advice.

I got my degrees in Forensic Science and Philosophy, but immediately dumped those to work in film. I did A LOT of free gigs and experience does matter in the industry. Very few people get paid at first, but I may be able to point you in the right direction. If you (or anyone else) is interested, feel free to PM me.

I've brought a lot of people along in my career in different departments so depending on what you actually want to do in the industry, I probably know somebody.

yo are we gifting jobs in the steam thread now

that is some next level shit

• Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Big Classy wrote: »
    I haven't played anything in forever. I just can't get into any of the games I have. Too much to do, not enough time.

I've had this problem.

My solution was to import my steam profile into HowLongtoBeat, and then start from the bottom and work my way up.

Next up? SimCity4. I'm not entirely sure how that showed up as such a short "time to beat" because as far as I'm aware, there's no "win" condition for that game.

• Options
    Daimar wrote: »

Traditionally, a Corvette is the first step.

No thanks. I'm a MOPAR girl, heart and soul. :wink:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    My dreams are to find a way to deal with the cinderblock sitting on my chest that is the crippling existential dread that has clawed its way into my soul and is the reason I haven't gotten a full night's sleep since the day I turned 30 and to adjust to the reality that my life is nowhere near what I thought it would be like or has the potential to be like and allllllso to work on my Steam backlog (not necessarily in that order).

Isn't that every adult ever? Because I thought it was.

I hope to make games with my wife, personally. Still working on figuring out a process.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Oh, by the way, for those keen on installing the latest Nvidia drivers for raiding tombs. This may now show up in your eject devices menu:

xtfanau7jasf.png

Word on the street is that it is, in fact, kind of a bad idea to eject your GPU. Who would've figured?

Zxerol on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Ugh, Steam had a Warhammersplosion and I'm broke.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular

That's how I try to look at it. When I hit 32 and realized all of this, I started a music blog (to monitor my progress) and started taking some group lessons for new skills to give myself accountability as far as practice goes. I was always a guitar man but I started piano lessons and fell in love with it. Also doing vocal lessons, because why not?
    I don't really know what my goals are at this point anymore...though I did recently knock out the "play in front of a crowd" goal. So progress IS being made =).

I just need to be MORE on fire about it. I spent too much time playing games or thinking "I wish had progressed with the music stuff more by now" instead of working on it. It's always been a problem of mine. I need to do a lot more "deliberate" practice. On that topic, I always found this article inspiring: http://jamesclear.com/deliberate-practice
    All of it, but the part about Kobe specifically (I don't know anything about sports or him as a person mind, so I was only focused on his success in his field, not any of the bad stuff he's been accused of).
    I need THAT attitude if I want to succeed.

I appreciate the motivational words, Pixie =).

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Shit is getting real in the existential dread Steam thread.
    In this thread: logic problems, math homework, literature lessons... what next - essay assignments?

Yes.
    signature.png

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Dammit.

You win this time.

/enters giveaway

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Oh, by the way, for those keen on installing the latest Nvidia drivers for raiding tombs. This may now show up in your eject devices menu:

xtfanau7jasf.png

Word on the street is that it is, in fact, kind of a bad idea to eject your GPU. Who would've figured?

I imagined a GPU being launched from a case and opening a tiny parachute into safety.

I kind of want that option now.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

I was in my mid 30s when I realized I hated doing Software QA for A Major Truck Manufacturer and went back to school to get a degree. I am doing network security and so much happier these days.

Ok, so I'm not using my degree, and my new career came out of the part-time job I had doing help desk for the university, but it still counts. 35 is fine.

• Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    I imagine it popping out like some toast.

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    My graphics card has so many fans on it I would expect it to pop out of the case like a quadcopter and circle the room, hunting for unbelievers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular

Alternately, give up on your dreams, accept your place as a cog in the machinery of society, spin better than the cogs around you, get paid to spin spin spin. Trade your soul for quarterly bonuses and merit raises: dead inside, but materially comfortable. Transform that wealth into steamgifts.

There's a certain depressing liberation in accepting your own unremarkableness in the grand scheme of things.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    So... all these crazy anime games keep being put in my face on Steam. Are they just that popular or have I somehow wandered my way into an anime hellscape algorithm? No matter how many times I tell Steam I'm not interested, it keeps putting more of them in my discovery queues and recommended lists.

[edit] Holy shit this thread is heavy. I was not prepared.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    In the long months between seasonal sales, the Steam thread gets dark.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I turned 40 last week, just left my job, and have a three-month-old baby. Safe to say my life didn't go as planned, but I wouldn't have changed a thing. Oh yeah, I made an iPhone game with my wife. Mission accomplished!

I plan on playing games with my daughter. That gives us daddy daughter time while allowing me to clear out my backlog. A win-win!

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Mid-thirties, going through a somewhat similar thing from the other end. I pursued my dream of being an artist for a living. I'm a graphic designer. But now that I've been doing it for a decent long while, I'm pretty burned out. I'd like to start something new, but not sure what. I've done online programming things, and generally got through them well. I've been thinking about that. I took an online course from MIT this year that's an intro to computer science course and I'm just not enjoying that at all... so I don't know.

I feel like I just want to say "fuck it" and just start doing metal sculpture while learning to weld or be an electrician. But hell if I even know how that would work.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Derrick wrote: »
    So... all these crazy anime games keep being put in my face on Steam. Are they just that popular or have I somehow wandered my way into an anime hellscape algorithm? No matter how many times I tell Steam I'm not interested, it keeps putting more of them in my discovery queues and recommended lists.

They're pretty popular. In addition to new games being made, there's a good supply of older games that have brought to the platform as people realized they could sell them there.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    I find I actually like games which are like homework versions of what I do for work.

This is mostly because those problems are guaranteed to have actual solutions, unlike work.

An embarrassingly high amount of problems I encounter at work are fixed by observing it fix itself for no reason I'm able to empirically discern. I actually encountered my first area-maze in a newspaper while at work and really enjoyed it. Shame I can't play Pythagoria while I'm on the clock

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

Did you play one - or even idle for cards in one - recently? Every time I play a hidden object game, I get nothing but HOGs in my discovery queue for weeks.

Also you should embrace Nep-Nep as your personal savior, but that's something you can work on later.

• Options
    ArdentArdent Down UpsideRegistered User regular

I kind of hate to say this but I dropped out of college because it was terrifyingly boring and I wasn't mature enough to deal with that sort of tedium on the regular. I got my degree the back way around, but not until after I'd wandered for a while. I was always content to be the guy with the stories. A lot of people around me panicked, but I never did. Anyone who says you can't approach life aimlessly has never lived. Trying to plan for life is what drives people crazy. Life does not give a crap what you've got planned, it's coming through and you can either get on board or get run over.

I guess I never got that "do the safe thing" programming. Safe isn't happy. Safe is safe. Happy is happy. I want to be happy.

Which is why, despite having a job I still like day in and day out I'm thinking about going back to school. To get a film degree, ironically. Maybe that means carrying someone's coffee for three years in my forties. I've done worse.

Steam ID | Origin ID: ArdentX | Uplay ID: theardent | Battle.net: Ardent#11476
  • Options
    HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I... feel like I am about to humblebrag but I want to join in on this topic, maybe give some of you guys some hope.

I'm mid 30's, my life was total shit until the last few years where things slowly started to climb out. I finally figured out what I wanted to do with myself and in less than a years time I went from living in a tiny 600 sqft apartment with my wife and dog to a big beautiful home and everything I could ever want. It's not exactly where I pictured myself but I can not complain at all. I am truly blessed.

So, for some of you who are like "Ugh" right now, it honestly can turn around SO quick. Just keep pushing. Give yourself some purpose and you'll be amazed at what you can accomplish and be happy with.

And just remember that if you ever run out of games to play - we got you covered. ;)

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • Options
    HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Houn wrote: »

Alternately, give up on your dreams, accept your place as a cog in the machinery of society, spin better than the cogs around you, get paid to spin spin spin. Trade your soul for quarterly bonuses and merit raises: dead inside, but materially comfortable. Transform that wealth into steamgifts.

There's a certain depressing liberation in accepting your own unremarkableness in the grand scheme of things.

I'm 38 (ugh soon to be 39) and I came to that realization over the summer. I finally settled into a job I like and realized I'm somewhat happy just living my life.

Halfazedninja on
    My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• Options
    KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    [Steam] thread. Sometimes we gift, sometimes we talk about existing.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Steam thread's Monday morning mantra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ChZN8SDbwo

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Has everyone been playing the Human Resource Machine or something?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

I was in this phase in recommendations during the winter sale. I think owning anything remotely anime or Japanese makes Steam think you want all the games about fucking catgirl maids and shit. No matter the amount of not interesteds I'd push, I'd even get sequels to those games recommended to me after.

Part of it is that they have extremely dedicated fanbases so that means lots of very positive reviews so they seem to be flagged as well reviewed and popular.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

I was in this phase in recommendations during the winter sale. I think owning anything remotely anime or Japanese makes Steam think you want all the games about fucking catgirl maids and shit. No matter the amount of not interesteds I'd push, I'd even get sequels to those games recommended to me after.

Part of it is that they have extremely dedicated fanbases so that means lots of very positive reviews so they seem to be flagged as well reviewed and popular.

Well, maybe you didn't want the one with cats... what about the one with dogs?

Yeah, anime VNs are all over the place. (And I say this considering that I've liked some VNs in the past.)

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Torment: Tides of Numenera early access is up.

Think I'm going to try to wait for the final product but very curious to see how impressions turn out.

Looks a lot better than Wasteland 2 which I enjoyed but thought was pretty rough around the edges and felt like it could have used more down time (instead of what felt like 90% combat) and a better dialog system.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

This happens to me every time I dive into a doujin shmup. It's pretty annoying. I'll play an hour or two of Crimzon Clover or ReFlex and get weeks of Sakura game recommendations.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Honestly the discovery queue is kind of a mess, since apparently telling them you don't want to see a specific game does nothing more than remove that particular game from the pool of things it will recommend instead of maybe taking a hint that you have said no to every single zombie survival game that has come up and stop suggesting those at all.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Honestly the discovery queue is kind of a mess, since apparently telling them you don't want to see a specific game does nothing more than remove that particular game from the pool of things it will recommend instead of maybe taking a hint that you have said no to every single zombie survival game that has come up and stop suggesting those at all.
    It's better than I thought it would be still pretty dumb.

Reccomends a lot of modern military shooters (which I hate) like Call of Duty or Battlefield for some reason. I guess because I have a lot of first person games in my library with gunplay. Fair enough I guess but still abit off the mark.

Dr. Chaos on
    Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
This discussion has been closed.