As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As the thread's resident perv

Let's not get ahead of ourselves there, buddie.

I...I'm honestly not sure of the protocol, here.

Do we have a dance fight?

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    As the thread's resident perv

Let's not get ahead of ourselves there, buddie.

I...I'm honestly not sure of the protocol, here.

Do we have a dance fight?

Don't ask me. I'm just saying, there's others who might take umbrage.

• BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Berylline wrote: »
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    just realized in massive chalice you can have a keep with two same sex rulers and they can adopt. bonus points massive chalice

I'm kind of addicted to the new Harvest Moon clone that just came out, World's Dawn. When you first start playing, the character creation lets you choose gender*, hairstyle (not even color), and then which gender you are interested in dating: Male, Female, or Both. I thought that was pretty awesome. The fact that the creation was so simple and limited, but that they made that choice and those options available was so great.

As addictive as it is, it's not perfect. The controls are pretty bad (keyboard only, arrow keys instead of wasd), and the graphics options (screen size) are non-existent. Also, your farming plot is pretty small and doesn't seem like it can be expanded. It's more about the town as a whole than just your farm though. Anyway, despite that, I've been having a lot of fun with it. I'm thinking it should tide me over until Stardew Valley finally comes out!

It even defaulted to female. It's so rare to see female as the default choice going into a game that it really stood out to me. And no, games shouldn't always have female as the default choice all the time. It was just quite refreshing to see.

Regarding your spoiler, now that you mention it I'm hard pressed to think of other games that do this.
    The only one that comes to mind is actually the first Unreal, of all titles. Granted, it was just a model swap and different player grunts, but it was still cool to have a major FPS with a range of character designs, and if I recall right the Gold edition defaults to one of the female models. The expansion even gave them voices for between-mission monologues, and the voices changed depending on who you selected. Really, that game was ahead of its time in many ways.

World's Dawn sounds neato, and it's been a while since I sank my teeth into a Harvest Moon-a-like. To the wishlist with you!

Yeah, it sounds pretty cool. I've had an eye on it for a little while now. Happy to hear it doesn't suck.

To the spoiler'd part (and why are we spoilering that anyway?):
    I vaguely recall that Dungeon Lords (an easily-forgotten little RPG from around 10 years back that I rather enjoyed) defaulted to female. Maybe I'm misremembering though. I definitely remember loving that it was one of the only games that I knew (or still know) that gives you the option to make your character left-handed, though! That had a lot to do with why I still have a copy of it sitting here. :D

I'm glad to hear of some other examples! :) And there's no particular reason for it to be spoilered. I often use the spoilers as an "extra information"/aside box, rather than an actual spoiler.

• FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    No context needed...

Capture53_zpsxkvvtrnb.jpg~original

Let this be a lesson to not turn your back on @Antoshka

<3

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    I'd written up this giant post about existential crises and how I was able to move past my major ones and get to where I am, but no one wants to read that shit when it feels like humblebragging.

I will say that if anyone is in a serious "stuck in a rut, don't know what to do with myself" sort of thing, do a day zero project. It really helped for me. Stay realistic, give yourself concrete, discrete and measurable goals, and find a stick to hold your feet to the fire (I made myself donate $25 to charity for each item which I didn't complete). In the couple years it takes you do it, you'll be surprised how much direction you might be able to find.

My list, for those curious

And to tie this back into steam, feel free to laugh at item 74. Oh, the days before Steam sales. Right now I'm struggling to get back below 50%.
    Thanks to the auto-draft thing, if anyone's curious about the monstrosity I'd written, feel free to PM me.

• AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    Oh, my goodness. Space Yahtzee.
    Where have you been all my life.
    I've played for thirty minutes, and lost 5 times, and eaten my own crew members multiple times.
    This game actually out fun-losses Dwarf Fortress. Dwarf Fortress!

tl;dr : Tharsis is great fun, and quick, and short, and you die a lot, and eat people, and compound sentence fragment in excitement!

n57PM0C.jpg
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Fuuuuuuuuuuuck.

I was really really hoping Tomb Raider unlocked at midnight because I have to be super busy all damn day and night tomorrow and then I have a game jam this weekend. No time to play until Monday! Boooooo.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Finished The Beginners Guide (Thanks again @UseR2006 ). It was....a thing? Still trying to digest it, though it feels like I might need a masters in lit analysis and/or philosophy to really begin to articulate what was really going on in it. The best way I can think of to describe it is, like, a giant metacontexutal onion: it's layers have layers, and pulling them off makes you cry.

steam_sig.png
  • UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    Finished The Beginners Guide (Thanks again @UseR2006 ). It was....a thing? Still trying to digest it, though it feels like I might need a masters in lit analysis and/or philosophy to really begin to articulate what was really going on in it. The best way I can think of to describe it is, like, a giant metacontexutal onion: it's layers have layers, and pulling them off makes you cry.

band-aid layers on an onion?

Also, no probs @Spoit

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    But in all honesty, you hear so many stories of older people who end up starting in their fields relatively late and end up doing pretty well. Diamond Dallas Page started wrestling when he was what, 35? Jack Black didn't play guitar till he was older, Alan Rickman didn't start doing movies till he was older.

'Miltoning: the art of not writing Paradise Lost before fifty.' - Stephen Potter

I turn 40 on Saturday, so these last couple of pages have been an absolute delight to read, you can imagine.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    But in all honesty, you hear so many stories of older people who end up starting in their fields relatively late and end up doing pretty well. Diamond Dallas Page started wrestling when he was what, 35? Jack Black didn't play guitar till he was older, Alan Rickman didn't start doing movies till he was older.

'Miltoning: the art of not writing Paradise Lost before fifty.' - Stephen Potter

I turn 40 on Saturday, so these last couple of pages have been an absolute delight to read, you can imagine.

Saturday, eh?

n57PM0C.jpg
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

I played it last week, planning to make it into a let's play, but ended up stopping the recording after about 15 minutes because I was having a bad night, I didn't feel like I was able to make anything worthwhile out of what I was doing, and I kind of felt I respected the game too much to dig for dumb jokes to make. I then tried a couple more recordings of other games afterwards that I also felt went badly, that nobody would enjoy what I was doing and everything was derivative. Went to bed feeling like I was already out of ideas after only a couple of weeks making videos, and was about to crash out of it like everything else I've started before.
    Next day I came back to The Beginner's Guide just to play it, and boy was that ever well-timed. I've played a lot of games that want to engage the player, give them something to relate to and identify with, I've played lots of things that want me to be sad and known when I should feel sad, but I don't think I've ever played something that hit so close to my own thoughts and feelings as this. It's not for everyone, that's fine, but it was quite special for me to be able to sit and play through something like this.

Which ties into my contribution to the existential conversation, where I turned 33 last week and am in the wreckage of an 8 year relationship, realised late last year that my life at the moment is working all day at a job I've been not enjoying for about 10 years now, and spending my evenings literally just playing video games until I go to bed and repeat. So I decided to get a hobby, which was making let's plays, the idea being to spend all my evenings editing rather than playing games. And it's actually helped a lot! I thought it'd be a lot harder to cut down so drastically on the amount of time I play games, but it's been really satisfying to do, putting them up regularly, and feeling that gradual improvement as I go. Which is why that night of bad recording hit me so hard, until I watched it back a couple of days later and realised that it actually wasn't as bad as I thought, and I've ended up quite pleased with what I've made out of them so far.

So yeah, I can't give much advice to anyone else who might see some of this situation in themselves, but I think that finding a hobby to distract myself with and just doing it, putting my head down and going without worrying about who's watching or what others think of it right now, is at least one angle to try and tackle this from.

Eat Arby's.

forumsig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    pUDyRr7.png

The quest continues. @ReverseCreations slays another dragon, earns another 100 XP. Level up! Woo!

Thanks for making sure I will never run out of VNs. <3<3<3

Should I tell him he missed one? :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
    hoap1buc561f.jpg

This is what happens when you show a moments weakeness in the chat.
    I shall remember this...

Thanks @EvmaAlsar

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Shit is getting real in the existential dread Steam thread.
    In this thread: logic problems, math homework, literature lessons... what next - essay assignments?

Yes.
    signature.png

Bumpity.
    Hey, Steam friends who have this wishlisted, get in on this! @Drake @Brolo @Olivaw @staplerofpaper @TreadLife @cooljammer00 @TeeMan @BigDes @HeirTransparent @chocobolicious @durandal4532 @Kanden @testsubject23 @Zavian @Partizanka @Decoy @Medium Dave @el_vicio @Veagle @VickyBit

PM me a link to your Steam profile if you need an invitation to the Adventure Team.

:)

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Shit is getting real in the existential dread Steam thread.
    In this thread: logic problems, math homework, literature lessons... what next - essay assignments?

Yes.
    signature.png

Bumpity.
    Hey, Steam friends who have this wishlisted, get in on this! @Drake @Brolo @Olivaw @staplerofpaper @TreadLife @cooljammer00 @TeeMan @BigDes @HeirTransparent @chocobolicious @durandal4532 @Kanden @testsubject23 @Zavian @Partizanka @Decoy @Medium Dave @el_vicio @Veagle @VickyBit

PM me a link to your Steam profile if you need an invitation to the Adventure Team.

:)

Entered, that game looks amazing.

steam_sig.png

• IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Excellent, @UseR2006!

Please be sure to un-@ people when you quote a post like that. 20 people just got pinged an extra time. :wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
    Excellent, @UseR2006!

Please be sure to un-@ people when you quote a post like that. 20 people just got pinged an extra time. :wink:

Ahhhh crap. Will remember for next time. At least they won't miss it ;)

steam_sig.png

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Finished the first episode of Life is Strange last night, and can't wait to get into the second tonight. Almost all of the decisions you have to make are difficult, and I have regretted at least a couple that I went with (in a good way). Though the people on my friends list who have played are kind of dicks.
    The majority of you let the bird die, and didn't wipe off the rude message on Kate's whiteboard. Come on people, have a heart!

I love how most of the decisions you make feel like they have an almost immediate impact on the world.

chuck steak on
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Entered! I always meant to check out Elegy, it's a neat idea.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    @Jragghen - I'd have enjoyed it! Someone getting past their crisis successfully would be inspiring. I'm reading through your list right now, I might do this myself. Great idea.

Ugh today is Tomb Raider day. I've been saying I'm going to wait on a sale after it's been out a while because I have SO much stuff I'm actively playing right now.
    but...it looks so good >:(

EDIT - Woah, why have I never heard of Elegy? That sounds amazing.

vamen on
  • MirkelMirkel FinlandRegistered User regular
    Finished the first episode of Life is Strange last night, and can't wait to get into the second tonight. Almost all of the decisions you have to make are difficult, and I have regretted at least a couple that I went with (in a good way). Though the people on my friends list who have played are kind of dicks.
    The majority of you let the bird die, and didn't wipe off the rude message on Kate's whiteboard. Come on people, have a heart!

I love how most of the decisions you make feel like they have an almost immediate impact on the world.

When I played the first episode, the reason I "was a dick" was that I didn't notice those things at all. I know on a meta-level that you are supposed to dawdle everywhere to check everything out in a game like this but I tend to get anxious when the character has a good reason to hurry, so I basically ran past a lot of stuff. I guess I was playing it wrong.

vamen wrote: »
    Ugh today is Tomb Raider day. I've been saying I'm going to wait on a sale after it's been out a while because I have SO much stuff I'm actively playing right now.

Preloaded! The game is ready! My body is ready!

... and I'm stuck at work for 7 more hours.

/sigh

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    The people on my friends list who have played are kind of dicks.

Look, I didn't realise that second one was a option!

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Elegy is great!

It's probably my favorite Amorphis album.
    can't not think of it when I see the word "elegy"

• chuck steakchuck steak Registered User regular
    Mirkel wrote: »

When I played the first episode, the reason I "was a dick" was that I didn't notice those things at all. I know on a meta-level that you are supposed to dawdle everywhere to check everything out in a game like this but I tend to get anxious when the character has a good reason to hurry, so I basically ran past a lot of stuff. I guess I was playing it wrong.

I'd say you're kind of playing it more right. It is very silly from a narrative standpoint, when your character is supposed to be getting somewhere quickly for an important reason, to be looking at every poster and piece of garbage on the floor along the way, while making calm inane comments to yourself about them. But take away all of the small and pointless details that you can interact with, and you'd be left with a more sterile feeling world. It's a tough balance to achieve I'm sure. I do like how interacting with everything in the game and hearing her thoughts about things really fleshes out your character though.

• vamenvamen Registered User regular

/sigh

You sure? You look like you may have a fever....

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Elegy is great!

It's probably my favorite Amorphis album.
    can't not think of it when I see the word "elegy"

When I see the word "Elegy", I always get parts of this stuck in my head:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SoDfRq4-Z-M

/sigh

Yeah, I took off work 2 hours early yesterday to go walk around a cemetery for a while* and try to clear my head. I should probably stay for the duration today.

Don't judge me. :lol: It's a safe, non-trafficky, scenic/historic place with miles of pathways. I love walking there.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    This might not be related to this thread, but I figure Valve is supposedly partnered with HTC so why not, I need to get my mind off the new Tomb Raider that I both cannot afford and cannot run.

Does anyone know anything about the supposed content showcase that is happening today just south of where I live? Nobody has been talking about it, I haven't seen any mentions of coverage for the event, nothing. I'm not a big VR fan but a few of my friends/coworkers are and it makes me curious, plus I like to see what they are interested in.

I'm totally hoping for a "HL3 confirmed"...

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

/sigh

Yeah, I took off work 2 hours early yesterday to go walk around a cemetery for a while* and try to clear my head. I should probably stay for the duration today.

Don't judge me. :lol: It's a safe, non-trafficky, scenic/historic place with miles of pathways. I love walking there.

We're not judging you . . . we're just stocking up on stakes, garlic, and holy water for the winter.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
    Varinn wrote: »
    This might not be related to this thread, but I figure Valve is supposedly partnered with HTC so why not, I need to get my mind off the new Tomb Raider that I both cannot afford and cannot run.

Does anyone know anything about the supposed content showcase that is happening today just south of where I live? Nobody has been talking about it, I haven't seen any mentions of coverage for the event, nothing. I'm not a big VR fan but a few of my friends/coworkers are and it makes me curious, plus I like to see what they are interested in.

http://vrsyndicate.com/2016/01/27/these-are-the-htc-vive-titles-valve-is-showcasing-in-seattle/
    Sorry to bust your dreams there. Looks like it's just multiple rooms with vr setup to test out/demo.

steam_sig.png

/sigh

We're not judging you . . . we're just stocking up on stakes, garlic, and holy water for the winter.

I love garlic. And it's a verifiable fact that I have no heart. You might be in trouble.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular

/sigh

Time to perfect astral projection?

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur

/sigh

I love garlic. And it's a verifiable fact that I have no heart. You might be in trouble.

We still have the sunlight. Unless your a day walker...

steam_sig.png

• Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

/sigh

Huh. So that's why you took to Dragon's Dogma so quickly.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • VarinnVarinn Vancouver, BCRegistered User regular
    UseR2006 wrote: »

http://vrsyndicate.com/2016/01/27/these-are-the-htc-vive-titles-valve-is-showcasing-in-seattle/
    Sorry to bust your dreams there. Looks like it's just multiple rooms with vr setup to test out/demo.
    Boo-urns.

Oh well, I've got a bunch of other games to play. Not going to lose any sleep over that! I've been playing through Borderlands 2 again, I feel like I might be missing out by playing from the couch with a controller versus joining an online match and running through with some other people. I tried it once, but I felt fairly useless compared to the accuracy of the guys playing on KB&M setups.

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    Grove wrote: »
    @Petesalzl Do you live in Los Angeles? I work in the film industry and might be able to give you some advice/help. If not, I may be able to give you some advice.

I got my degrees in Forensic Science and Philosophy, but immediately dumped those to work in film. I did A LOT of free gigs and experience does matter in the industry. Very few people get paid at first, but I may be able to point you in the right direction. If you (or anyone else) is interested, feel free to PM me.

I've brought a lot of people along in my career in different departments so depending on what you actually want to do in the industry, I probably know somebody.

@Grove i do not live in los angeles, im in minneapolis. which should still be a decent place to find stuff. there are a lot of editing houses and also a lot of corporate headquarters too. ive worked for best buy and target on commercials and things a number of times because of that. but i finished my degree a number of years ago when finances were still really shaky and although for a while i had a job everyweekend almost no one wanted to pay me. actually best buy was the only place that did but that was like 100$ for a 16 hour saturday gig, and i didnt hate myself enough to keep doing that. its probably been atleast 4 years since ive done anything legit in that field of work, but regardless i would be happy to hear any advice you have. good advice is always welcome, and even if it doesnt directly help me maybe someone else here would like to hear it or benefit from it.
    Stolls wrote: »
    Steam thread's Monday morning mantra:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ChZN8SDbwo

@Stolls please know i am sending you a super hive five across the universe thru time and space.
    i didnt even have to watch the clip, i knew what it was and what he was gonna say just from the preview picture.
    that is always my mantra, not just on mondays

edited January 2016
    UseR2006 wrote: »

Boo-urns.

Oh well, I've got a bunch of other games to play. Not going to lose any sleep over that! I've been playing through Borderlands 2 again, I feel like I might be missing out by playing from the couch with a controller versus joining an online match and running through with some other people. I tried it once, but I felt fairly useless compared to the accuracy of the guys playing on KB&M setups.

I've been wanting to run through bl2 haven't finished it yet. Could use a Co op. How far in are you?

UseR2006 on
    steam_sig.png

• VeagleVeagle Registered User regular
    A bunch of new achievements just popped up for Shadowrun: Hong Kong. Hopefully that means the mini-campaign is almost ready!

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.