As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LucasArts to Bioware: "Join us, together we will rule the galaxy" BioWare: "Sure&quo

1235»

• Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    You know, I almost hope this isn't KOTOR 3, because I wanted Obsidian to have another crack at finishing the series.

It better not be KOTOR 3 because if they do it and it's not Obsidian I will be pissed. Obsidian took it from generic to amazing. If it is, fuck Lucasarts, because they push it out the door on Obsidian, who set up an amazing sequel, then give it back to Bioware to fuck up again.

I still don't get the love for KOTOR2. IMO, it was a sloppy, half-finished, mere shadow of its predecessor. While I commend them for trying to add more depth to the morale choices, I found it to be ultimately pointless.

The love for KOTOR2 stems from up until the sloppy, half-finished ending that was a result of Lucasarts rushing it and not the developers fault, it was phenomenal and improved upon KOTOR in every way. Its still a shame that the game got rushed for a holiday release, the first 3/4ths of the game was simply awesome.

I still think if Lucasarts didn't interfere at all, and let Obsidian make KOTOR3 at their own speed, it would blow the first two out of the water.

Truth.

The only problem with KOTOR 2 was that it wasn't done.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zetx wrote: »
    Make a WH40k mmo
    There. That takes care of everything.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Make a WH40k mmo
    No. It can't be done properly yet. Maybe in like 10 years. I want a 40k MMO that actually feels like 40k, and that would require a galaxy on the scale of a galaxy. EVE comes close, but still doesn't quite reach.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Considering you never, ever, ever, ever, ever fight a battle of that size in table top, I don't see the problem.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    widowson wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Heir wrote: »
    Mgcw wrote: »
    Harrier wrote: »
    You know, I almost hope this isn't KOTOR 3, because I wanted Obsidian to have another crack at finishing the series.

It better not be KOTOR 3 because if they do it and it's not Obsidian I will be pissed. Obsidian took it from generic to amazing. If it is, fuck Lucasarts, because they push it out the door on Obsidian, who set up an amazing sequel, then give it back to Bioware to fuck up again.

I still don't get the love for KOTOR2. IMO, it was a sloppy, half-finished, mere shadow of its predecessor. While I commend them for trying to add more depth to the morale choices, I found it to be ultimately pointless.

The love for KOTOR2 stems from up until the sloppy, half-finished ending that was a result of Lucasarts rushing it and not the developers fault, it was phenomenal and improved upon KOTOR in every way. Its still a shame that the game got rushed for a holiday release, the first 3/4ths of the game was simply awesome.

I still think if Lucasarts didn't interfere at all, and let Obsidian make KOTOR3 at their own speed, it would blow the first two out of the water.

Truth.

The only problem with KOTOR 2 was that it wasn't done.

http://www.team-gizka.org/

Edit: And the fact that AC is being referenced in this thread makes me smiled, i played that game for almost 8 years. Many fond memories and hours wasted, sadly it is but a shell of what it used to be.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    schmads wrote: »
    Pharezon wrote: »
    Clone Wars MMO GO!

You know, this would totally resolve the redundancy of characters created in an MMO. I look like every other Blood Elf Paladin with epic gear in WoW, but if we're all clones, it totally makes sense!

I call Pilot or ARC

Pharezon on
    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    evilthecatevilthecat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    lucasarts, the company that hasn't released anything worthwhile since, what, grim fandango and bioware, known for "good intentions" but releasing really buggy software?
    oh i'm sure this will all go well.

evilthecat on
    tip.. tip.. TALLY.. HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    KOTOR came out after Grim Fandango, kthx.

Goose! on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm curious whether anyone played Myst Online. From what I read it seemed to have a fairly intricate story-based 'endgame' section of content that required teamwork, discussion, etc. It wasn't combat orientated I know, but it was interesting.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

yeah and I specifically said worthwhile which KOTOR wasn't, kthx.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    evilthecat wrote: »

stop trolling.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Bendery wrote: »

stop trolling.

Just because i don't share your enthusiasm for a project doesn't mean I'm trolling.
    I've stated that I don't think this will go very well and will leave it at that.

evilthecat on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Considering you never, ever, ever, ever, ever fight a battle of that size in table top, I don't see the problem.
    Well ideally the MMO would build up the incredibly rich and fascinating universe lore rather than just the war tabletop rules.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Well ideally the MMO would build up the incredibly rich and fascinating universe lore rather than just the war tabletop rules.

Isn't there a Warhammer 40K MMO coming out already? Keep in mine, I'm not a huge tabletop fan and I might be mixing this up with something else. Please don't kill me if I'm wrong.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    as much as I'd love to see a KOTOR MMO, it's still going to be another goddamned MMO. more grinding, more formulaic gameplay, lots of min/maxing.

thus boredom.

I'll still probably play it for at least a year unless it's really bad.

VoodooV on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bendery wrote: »

stop trolling.

Just because i don't share your enthusiasm for a project doesn't mean I'm trolling.
    I've stated that I don't think this will go very well and will leave it at that.

No, you're trolling because you came in this thread knowing all you were going to do was bitch and moan.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Off the topic of trolling.....
    VoodooV, a KOTOR MMO done right doesn't have to have grinding. They could bring in more of the battle system from Mass Effect, and as mentioned earlier in this thread Atton proves that one man with his wits can be more than a match for several Jedi. That type of gameplay combined with the Mass Effect combat would be pretty cool.
    But its an MMO, so it probably won't happen.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was just playing this demo on 360 and saw the studio...

So I predict....

Thrillville MMO.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

So I predict....

Thrillville MMO.

Wait, what do you exactly mean by that?

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    thetheroo wrote: »
    VoodooV, a KOTOR MMO done right doesn't have to have grinding. They could bring in more of the battle system from Mass Effect, and as mentioned earlier in this thread Atton proves that one man with his wits can be more than a match for several Jedi. That type of gameplay combined with the Mass Effect combat would be pretty cool.

oh I agree, It could be awesome, but my cynicism is winning out on this one. One of the things that always honked me off about KOTOR (both of them) was that at a certain point. Only the story was keeping me going, because my character had become so ridiculously uber (especially in 2) that there was simply no challenge and no fun. Just hit the master flurry button a few times...yawn.

If this battle system in Mass Effect lives up to the hype, I think you're right and it could be a good way to counterbalance a bunch of regular players banding together to overwhelm even the strongest Jedi. But still, I just don't think Jedi have to be that powerful in order for the game to be fun. They just have to do it right.
    but they wont

The problem though is that this is an MMO, and MMOs in their current state are just grindfests designed to keep you playing so that the company has a cash cow. More and more people are realizing this and so we're getting to a point, IMO, that if MMOs don't evolve and start offering something more than just a level treadmill. Then more and more people are going to abandon it

VoodooV on
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Make an alternate universe Star Wars MMO. :P

Long ago, in a galaxy really far far away...

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »

oh I agree, It could be awesome, but my cynicism is winning out on this one. One of the things that always honked me off about KOTOR (both of them) was that at a certain point. Only the story was keeping me going, because my character had become so ridiculously uber (especially in 2) that there was simply no challenge and no fun. Just hit the master flurry button a few times...yawn.

If this battle system in Mass Effect lives up to the hype, I think you're right and it could be a good way to counterbalance a bunch of regular players banding together to overwhelm even the strongest Jedi. But still, I just don't think Jedi have to be that powerful in order for the game to be fun. They just have to do it right.
    but they wont

The problem though is that this is an MMO, and MMOs in their current state are just grindfests designed to keep you playing so that the company has a cash cow. More and more people are realizing this and so we're getting to a point, IMO, that if MMOs don't evolve and start offering something more than just a level treadmill. Then more and more people are going to abandon it

So long as I can play a Mandalorian, I'm down for a KOTOR MMO, ner Vod.

At least the Mandalorians raise their kids, tell the truth, and have a reputation for reliability. Jedi screw up their kids and lie/deceive with an ironic frequency which has always made me wonder are they really the good guys they make themselves out to be?

ANyhow, to prevent grindfests, you need an end-game PvP on a wide scale. I.E. there's a reason you're getting all this gear. Not just to get better gear, but to fight an intergalactic war or something.

widowson on
    -I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    widowson wrote: »
    ANyhow, to prevent grindfests, you need an end-game PvP on a wide scale. I.E. there's a reason you're getting all this gear. Not just to get better gear, but to fight an intergalactic war or something.
    I don't think it's even so much that, though having something to put all that stuff and experience to use for is definetily something needed. It seems to me that we grind so that we can get the shiny baubles and the flashy powers, which we then use to get more shiny baubles and flashy powers, used to advance our quest for even more shiny baubles and flashy powers - the game has become in and of itself about the shiny baubles and flashy powers instead about what you should be doing with said baubles and powers. This is why I dislike WoW so much and why Anarchy Online is such a love-hate relationship for me.

The system I'm envisioning for some notes I'm writing right now is that very little is locked or prohibited based on your stats: once you hit a certain "competance" level (which you hit very early on, really) you can basically use whatever you want, when you want, and all your stats really do is reflect a certain level of refinement or crudeness in your performance or use of something.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

So I predict....

Thrillville MMO.

I was playing the Off the Rails demo and realized it was a LucasArts game. So, it must be a Thrillville MMO.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

So I predict....

Thrillville MMO.

I was playing the Off the Rails demo and realized it was a LucasArts game. So, it must be a Thrillville MMO.

Ahh. Actually, that would be pretty fun. Compete with other rollar-coaster manufactures to create the best ride. Sabotage others creations to cause horrible accidents to their guests. The possibilities are endless.

Thetheroo on
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

So I predict....

Thrillville MMO.

Ahh. Actually, that would be pretty fun. Compete with other rollar-coaster manufactures to create the best ride. Sabotage others creations to cause horrible accidents to their guests. The possibilities are endless.

I used to that on Roller Coaster Tycoon to my own rides... Make coasters that are just physically impossible to work properly, usually involving tracks not designed for the speed at which I sent the cars down them, and would open the ride without testing it...

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i know it has little to do with bioware, but i loaded up KOTOR 2 and god dammit, everytime I try and move after I exit combat, I get stuck. Like, character won't respond to commands. I can look around, but can't move. Frustrating.

tyrannus on