As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    Holy crap, I think Tomb Raider might be the most beautiful game I've ever played. Everything cranked to max with some supersampling AA, and it looks just... I am awestruck. And my screenshot key is wearing out already.

So the steam overlay isn't a problem?

Also, are you running on AMD, or nvidia - was the original one of the games with issues on that?

Yeah, no issues with the overlay.

Running an AMD R290X. No problems. All max, smooth performance. They've really nailed the optimization, I'd say.

I believe the first game didn't like Nvidia cards as much if you used the fancy hair, but I couldn't swear to that. No idea how this game is in that regard.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Sunless Sea is pretty cool. It's probably had some updates since I played, but here's some tidbits I learned that is good to know early on.
    Being cautious at the start won't work out well. If you only range out a short distance and come right back you'll rapidly run out of resources altogether and won't even be able to fuel up for a deeper voyage.
    So you have to take some chances and head deeper. But visiting already discovered ports along the way helps you earn fuel by turning in port reports back in London.
    It's often a good idea to run without your lights on. It will make your crew crazier and crazier, so be careful how much you do it. But you use less fuel when the lights are off and that's often a worthy trade.

Running with lights off is the only thing I'd remembered from discussion in this thread in the past, but it's great for saving fuel so far. I've been ranging reasonably close to home but not so far that I'll run out of food, generally arriving back in port with 1 or 0 supplies left and always revealing more of the map when I can. Killing crabs and bats have kept me going when things got rough. No real danger yet but I'm sure I'll need to get a bigger gun or possibly torpedoes before I head much farther out to zee.

I'm loving the tension and sense of desperation.

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    Two eggs, a pancake, and some sausage walk into a bar. The eggs go up to bar, and say, "Bartender! A drink for me and my friends."

The bartender says, ...
    "I'm sorry - we don't serve breakfast here.

#DadJokesForTheWin

Why is it always in a bar?
    Three strings were riding in a truck down the highway. One string pipes up, and says, "Man I'm thirsty. I could use a drink." The other two stings agree and they stop at the next bar. They see a sign out that says "No strings allowed."

The first string says "I don't care what the sign says, I'm going in."

The first string goes into the bar and sits down. The bartender says "Are you a string?"
    The first string says "Yeah, I'm a string.
    "We don't serve strings in here," the bartender says.

The first string leaves the bar and gets back in the truck. "We can't get a drink here."

The second string says, "Well I don't care, I'm going to try." The second string has the same response as the first string.

The third string thinks for a minute. After thinking he parts his hair, and does himself up. When the third sting enters the bar and the bartender asks, "Are you a string?"

His response?
    "Frayed Knot."

On steam note, I plan on trying to get more table top work in. I'm really looking forward to this. I have wanted to do RPG things, and I think this platform is something I can do.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Shimshai wrote: »
    Sunless Sea is pretty neat. I've been playing for a few hours, but haven't died yet! I'm probably being too cautious, but I've almost starved a couple of times so there's that.

Free weekends are such a great idea, I'll definitely be picking this one up later. Summer sale probably.

My first playthrough would have ended very quickly if not for some very helpful individuals in London that loaded me up with valuable supplies. They had no ulterior motives, nope.

I need to go back and play it some more. The setting is super engaging and I love the various places you find.

Finally getting back to Life is Strange and finished episode 1. It's growing on me. Playing with a controller feels better though I still wish I could turn off the annoying butterfly notifications. I've taken the alternative of just ignoring them. I have a guess on where the plot is going but I'll stay hopeful it surprises me. I do hope the hipster-tude but eh if it's for the "younger" (I'm only 28, so I'm not too serious about that) that's fine too.

2h STR Dark Souls is a bit...ponderous. A few encounters have gotten easier but unless the heavy armors offer a huge amount of protection to offset the slow speed and roll it's not the most fun. I'll probably keep going but eh I might reroll pyro or sorcery or save them for DS3.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Well we have budget programs on Steam so it was only a matter of time.

Karoz on
  • DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »

No achievements? No cards?

Pass

steam_sig.png
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    Fractured Space is free to add to your account this weekend. If you add it to your account, you'll have it even after the weekend is over. It's going free to play after Early Access is over, so it's not a super big deal, but you'll be able to play it until then by doing this. I've only played the tutorial so far but it seems pretty neat. It's a 5v5 capital ship moba type game in 3d space. The ships themselves are really pretty and the gameplay so far is pretty fun. A combination of aiming and shooting, trying to avoid fire, using special attacks and utility abilities, and capturing resource points. No creeps from what I've seen, just the main ships.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/310380/

ss_0403e175eeced3820dd1ef44989da438de42bcc4.1920x1080.jpg

Stabbity_Style.png
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Holy crap, I think Tomb Raider might be the most beautiful game I've ever played. Everything cranked to max with some supersampling AA, and it looks just... I am awestruck. And my screenshot key is wearing out already.

Holy crap you aren't lying.
    I need to google and see if there is an app I can get to randomly take screenshots for me instead of me doing it manually. That way I can capture unexpected moments and such.

vamen wrote: »

I need to google and see if there is an app I can get to randomly take screenshots for me instead of me doing it manually. That way I can capture unexpected moments and such.

This is such an interesting concept to me. Imagine if there was a steam overlay add on. It would randomly take screen shots, sure a lot might be bad, but you never know what you would catch?

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    DyasAlure wrote: »

This is such an interesting concept to me. Imagine if there was a steam overlay add on. It would randomly take screen shots, sure a lot might be bad, but you never know what you would catch?

That right there, covers one of the main reasons why I'm trying to stream pretty much everything I play. To have a way to capture those random, unexpected moments of glee, and maybe even share them with another person or two.

• AngiKateAngiKate Registered User regular
    I got home from work tonight, after 10 hours of work, and @Kalnaur posted a note to my computer next to the Steam key input that says "Input this (code) here ---> @Werewolf2000ad sends his regards."

It's the full 5 episodes of Life is Strange.

I have no idea who you are, but THANK YOU!!! This game looks awesome! ^_^

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Claptrap is the best

He was the best, but that was before Tales from the Borderlands.
    Deal with it.
    ydYv3py.jpg

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular

Does not support Windows 7, apparently.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »

Does not support Windows 7, apparently.

Bwhahahahha.

That right there, covers one of the main reasons why I'm trying to stream pretty much everything I play. To have a way to capture those random, unexpected moments of glee, and maybe even share them with another person or two.

I considered doing this, but do I really want to let everyone know how much I cheat in games?

• DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    I was actually pleasantly surprised by Styx. The AI is brain dead at lower difficulties and the combat system is basically a penalty for fucking up the stealth, but the stealth system was competent and there was a surprisingly interesting story as you got further into the game. I'd still like to see a sequel.

A sequel is scheduled to come out this year, in fact.

It has also come to my attention that the goblin in Of Orcs and Men is also, in fact, Styx(Rakash). Which is just wonderful, and is going right on my wishlist. (I have most of the bundle anyway so I don't know that I want to go all in for just that yet)

Donnicton on
  • PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    dvnQEn9.png
    first time i did that, thanks for the reminder and thanks for the game. super awesome #1

• shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular

I considered doing this, but do I really want to let everyone know how much I cheat in games?

See, I'd call that a personal problem. :) But then again, my main problem right now is that my regular half-hour stream time is right after I get my kids to bed, which works fine, except that my two-year-old usually gets up 2-5 times every night, and so tends to make occasional appearances on my streams.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    @Houn has been a rather gregarious chap and gifted me Starward Rogue! I saw that Arcen are having great financial troubles recently and it makes me sad because while I don't actively play a lot of their games these days, they're was always something interesting going on in there. They could've padded out their ideas, maybe worked on their art a bit more, but instead they focused on churning out novel ideas and mechanics. To their detriment, as it appears :sad:

Anyway, thanks for their latest but hopefully not the last! :biggrin:

Also, the SB reference was coincidental but I appreciate you running with it heh
    EIGHT
    EIGHT
    EIGHT
    EIGHT
    EIGHT
    EIGHT
    EIGHT
    EIGHT
    EIGHT
    EIGHT

steam_sig.png
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Of all the pretty things in this game, the thing I'm most impressed by are the facial animations. They're so good.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited January 2016

Autohotkey and a script something like
    Loop
    {
    Random, Rdm, 1, 10
    if (Rdm = 1)
          Send {F12}
    sleep, 60000
    }

Once every minute there is a 1 in 10 chance to take a screenshot

*i haven't tested this, but in theory it should work.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Life is Strange is definitely for anyone who's a narrative adventure game person.

My copy of the physical limited edition arrived today, funnily enough. Nice little package.

In the throes of my post-fiction depression, I've been considering that. How's the artbook?

Nothing hugely detailed - Just a small 32-page hardback with a mix of concept art and a bunch of Max's notebook doodles. No commentary or anything.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I still can't get over how ridiculously cool the softbody physics are in Beam.NG Drive/Wrap Yourself Around a Tree Simulator 2016.

Considering Valve's history of finding a project with a cool new technological feature, then hiring the team behind it to make a Portal game, I can't wait until Valve buys the Beam.NG team and has them make a Portal 3 Kart Racer with karts that deform on impact.

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular

Autohotkey and a script something like
    Loop
    {
    Random, Rdm, 1, 10
    if (Rdm = 1)
          Send {F12}
    sleep, 60000
    }
    return

Once every minute there is a 1 in 10 chance to take a screenshot

*i haven't tested this, but in theory it should work.

It's stuff like this and the fact that I finished HACKNET the other week makes me want to learn more about writing scripts (although I've been led to believe that the term 'script-kiddie' has a negative connotation, but pffffft). I wrote a little something in Notepad the other day and saved it as a BAT file so I can boot Livestreamer with a desired Twitch streamer and windowed chat easier than doing it manually and it felt amazing. Command Prompt is where it's at.

steam_sig.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    Sunless Sea kinda got stuck when I chose my past later in the game.

Also, I've confused this for the side scrolling submarine roguelike game where you dive deeper and deeper and kill bosses.

Still fun.

• Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Why is it always in a bar?

Man walks into a bar.
    Ouch, it was an iron bar

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    I'm going to buy exactly one civilisation. The two currently on special are iv and v. I have never played one before.
    Which one do I get.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I'm going to buy exactly one civilisation. The two currently on special are iv and v. I have never played one before.
    Which one do I get.

Civilization V is easier to get in with a cleaner interface and somewhat more simplified systems, Civilization IV is generally considered the better game if you can get past a wonkier UI (it's not awful wonky like Civ III or anything, just not super-slick). I personally enjoyed IV a lot more, but if you really don't want to risk wasting money V is probably the safer bet. Either way you'll have fun if you do enjoy the Civ formula.

Edit: Also either one you buy, get the Gold editions (all expansions), Beyond the Sword for Civ IV and Brave New World for Civ V each make all of them MUCH better games.

The Escape Goat on
    9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Which one do I get.

Just get ALL the Civs. https://www.humblebundle.com/

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Which one do I get.

V, provided you are also getting the expansions. Well, in my opinion even if you aren't getting the expansions, but those are still really damn cool. :biggrin:

Nab the complete edition if you can.

Kalnaur on
    I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    Which one do I get.

Just get ALL the Civs. https://www.humblebundle.com/

The catch with that is you still need to buy Brave New World separately, and base Civ V just isn't nearly as good (I heard a lot of crap about the base game when it came out, actually, a lot of people said BNW "fixed" it).

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Which one do I get.

Civilization V is easier to get in with a cleaner interface and somewhat more simplified systems, Civilization IV is generally considered the better game if you can get past a wonkier UI (it's not awful wonky like Civ III or anything, just not super-slick). I personally enjoyed IV a lot more, but if you really don't want to risk wasting money V is probably the safer bet. Either way you'll have fun if you do enjoy the Civ formula.

Edit: Also either one you buy, get the Gold editions (all expansions), Beyond the Sword for Civ IV and Brave New World for Civ V each make all of them MUCH better games.

Pre Civ-5 doomstacks can go bite me though, foreal.

Zxerol wrote: »
    Which one do I get.

Pre Civ-5 doomstacks can go bite me though, foreal.

but you can doomstack them back, and that's a lot more fun than awkwardly trying to maneuver any sort of decently sized army through a maze of terrain!

plus iirc the AI doesn't doomstack THAT hard, and that's all I really count since I don't think multiplayer Civ has ever been "balanced"

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is so good. I've put close to 4 hours in, the game says I'm only at 13%, and I am perfectly OK with that. A good half of that has probably been spend perforating small defenseless woodland creatures, and I should feel more guilt about that than I do, but I needed the skins.

It is somewhat amusing that the XP gained from a single rabbit is the same as the XP from a heavily armed human being, but you know, whatevs

Also I suppose my deal is that I've never enjoyed Civilization combat so I just prefer the way that does it the simplest and quickest, so auto-resolve throwing a stack of units at a city was the best solution for that.

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is so good. I've put close to 4 hours in, the game says I'm only at 13%, and I am perfectly OK with that. A good half of that has probably been spend perforating small defenseless woodland creatures, and I should feel more guilt about that than I do, but I needed the skins.

It is somewhat amusing that the XP gained from a single rabbit is the same as the XP from a heavily armed human being, but you know, whatevs

That rabbit's dynamite!

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • McHogerMcHoger Registered User regular
    It's worth noting that Brave New World contains all the mechanical improvements that Gods & Kings added. So you only really need G&K if you want the civs it added or that bizarre steampunk industrialist scenario.

edited January 2016
    The worst issue with the Civ 5 combat model is the AI not being able to handle it too well. It's still better and much more interesting than lumping five billion units onto one tile and going ham across the map with this impenetrable mass of stupid.

Zxerol on
This discussion has been closed.