As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is so good. I've put close to 4 hours in, the game says I'm only at 13%, and I am perfectly OK with that. A good half of that has probably been spend perforating small defenseless woodland creatures, and I should feel more guilt about that than I do, but I needed the skins.

It is somewhat amusing that the XP gained from a single rabbit is the same as the XP from a heavily armed human being, but you know, whatevs

That rabbit's dynamite!

Is there finally a reason to hunt? They make you kill a deer in TR2013, then she says sorry, then it turns out you never really had to kill any animals. It's not Far Cry 3, you don't get a bigger wallet from deer skulls.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • The Escape GoatThe Escape Goat incorrigible ruminant they/themRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The worst issue with the Civ 5 combat model is the AI not being able to handle it too well. It's still better and much more interesting than lumping five billion units onto one tile and going ham across the map with this impenetrable mass of stupid.

I mean, sure, I can get that. But I still find Civ V combat "not very fun" and I much prefer the empire-building aspect of those games, so yeah, facerolling a million units to make combat simpler is a great tradeoff for me. Plus I found settling more fun in Civ IV because it's easy to micromanage cities and you have the health thing to keep things interesting instead of just "MOAR FOOD ALL THE TIME"

9uiytxaqj2j0.jpg
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    and now its 12:25 and I snuck into the iron republic to get a report.

Fun times.

Ain't died yet.

• UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    I'm going to buy exactly one civilisation. The two currently on special are iv and v. I have never played one before.
    Which one do I get.

Just get ALL the Civs. https://www.humblebundle.com/

The catch with that is you still need to buy Brave New World separately, and base Civ V just isn't nearly as good (I heard a lot of crap about the base game when it came out, actually, a lot of people said BNW "fixed" it).

Actually @Kalnaur had the better option. that complete pack is boss for only $20

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• VikingViking Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is so good. I've put close to 4 hours in, the game says I'm only at 13%, and I am perfectly OK with that. A good half of that has probably been spend perforating small defenseless woodland creatures, and I should feel more guilt about that than I do, but I needed the skins.

It is somewhat amusing that the XP gained from a single rabbit is the same as the XP from a heavily armed human being, but you know, whatevs

That rabbit's dynamite!

Is there finally a reason to hunt? They make you kill a deer in TR2013, then she says sorry, then it turns out you never really had to kill any animals. It's not Far Cry 3, you don't get a bigger wallet from deer skulls.

Crafting system is deeper now, a lot of the crafting requires materials from hunting.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    So it's deeper in that there is one now, got it.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    you can also craft consumable stuff away from the camp fire, such as arrows.
    which is a huge quality of life improvement

steam_sig.png
    edited January 2016
    @Antoshka is responsible for this unplanned double post.
    thank you for the totally unprovoked gift of Hitman (the one not out yet)

Viking on
    steam_sig.png
  • AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    So, a thing happened. I honestly don't even know what to say. I'm just speechless. Also, drunk (not that much). And boggled. Because it's a nice word.

However, the mate from the other side of the ditch, @Viking joined forces with the inestimable @Big Classy to conspire to send something. The same something. And they did it at the same time. 2 seconds difference to the Aussie, and that was it. I'm boggled.Boggled. (wheee).So, to be clear, thank you both for Rise of the Tomb Raider, and my apologies to @Big Classy for not being able to accept it, due to the mad Aussie.
    Following that, thank you to @Big Classy for Dragon's Dogma.

I just..... what. I don't even know what to say, in response to this sort of thing. Thank you both.

<3

n57PM0C.jpg
  • EvmaAlsarEvmaAlsar Birmingham, EnglandRegistered User regular
    Claptrap is the best

He was the best, but that was before Tales from the Borderlands.
    Deal with it.
    ydYv3py.jpg

More Tales From the Borderlands deal with it-ness (spoilered for minor episode spoilers)

6YAcQE8.png
    Steam profile - Twitch - YouTube
    Switch: SM-6352-8553-6516
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    Iolo wrote: »
    Shit is getting real in the existential dread Steam thread.
    In this thread: logic problems, math homework, literature lessons... what next - essay assignments?

Yes.
    signature.png

Another half a day... Get on this!

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Final world of Squarecells and I feel my consciousness transcending the mortal plane. This is a gosh darn fine puzzle game, ladies and gentlemen

steam_sig.png
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    ~ Happy Birthday @Antoshka! ~

(for everyone else: do with that information what you feel is right)

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I've decided I don't think I have the patience to try and beat la Mulana. It gets frustrating beyond belief. :?

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • IsornIsorn Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    ~ Happy Birthday Antoshka! ~

(for everyone else: do with that information what you feel is right)

I swear he wiped his wishlist again. I always regret not backing up the wishlist of Antoshka and Spoit every once in a while.

Damn people and their wishlist deleting shenanigans.

Isorn on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The trick is to use your wishlist as a "Look into this game when it comes up on sale" list. Then it ends up being like 300 games and you paralyze people with indecision, right?

Xeddicus wrote: »
    The trick is to use your wishlist as a "Look into this game when it comes up on sale" list. Then it ends up being like 300 games and you paralyze people with indecision, right?

Not really. When I come across a massive wishlist I just sort it by "date added" instead of "rank" and aim for the most recently added titles. :razz:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Yes to the first, and no to the second. I am picky picky picky.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Having a massive wishlist isn't going to save you. If someone's looking at your wishlist, they've likely already made the decision to buy you something. You're just giving them more targets to choose from.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Don't look to get saved. It's on your wishlist because you'd like to have it. Say thank you, try it out, and remember them for when you have funds in your wallet (if that's your thing).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    jclast wrote: »
    Don't look to get saved. It's on your wishlist because you'd like to have it. Say thank you, try it out, and remember them for when you have funds in your wallet (if that's your thing).

Well, it's on my wishlist because I might like to have it at a future date. But honestly said wishlist is mostly a, "I am interested in these games, but not enough to buy them. I will wait for a sale or until I decide I truly do want to buy this." It grows very very slowly because I prune it every now and then.

• chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    McHoger wrote: »
    It's worth noting that Brave New World contains all the mechanical improvements that Gods & Kings added. So you only really need G&K if you want the civs it added or that bizarre steampunk industrialist scenario.

To be fair, the Smoky Skies scenario is pretty awesome.

steam_sig.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    What's the thread's opinion of Bound by Flame? It's part of the Humble Bundle this week and has mixed reviews on Steam. But still, looks like a solid RPG.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular
    Idx86 wrote: »
    What's the thread's opinion of Bound by Flame? It's part of the Humble Bundle this week and has mixed reviews on Steam. But still, looks like a solid RPG.

I did not like it. Though to be fair, I didn't play it much.
    ...but that is because I did not like it.

This unhelpful opinion brought to you by Vamen.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    vamen wrote: »

I did not like it. Though to be fair, I didn't play it much.
    ...but that is because I did not like it.

This unhelpful opinion brought to you by Vamen.

Paging @Pixelated Pixie, who I know played it to completion.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy

I have reviewed this here a couple times.

I loved it. It's janky as janky gets, but it's solid fun, with some great combat mechanics, has terrible-but-awesome voice acting and humor (talk to everyone. Some people say the damndest things!), and has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Maybe not Final Fantasy good, but damn good. Plus you get to turn into a demon.. sort of... complete with fiery body parts.

I've played it through twice, which is two more times than I play through most games.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • vamenvamen Registered User regular

I have reviewed this here a couple times.

I loved it. It's janky as janky gets, but it's solid fun, with some great combat mechanics, has terrible-but-awesome voice acting and humor (talk to everyone. Some people say the damndest things!), and has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. Maybe not Final Fantasy good, but damn good. Plus you get to turn into a demon.. sort of... complete with fiery body parts.

I've played it through twice, which is two more times than I play through most games.

I love that games like this still find people who love them. I was talking about this in another thread the other day about how it's hard to trust reviews because some of my favorite games of all time were rated low-to-mediocre.

I sort of want to give the game another try now!

• baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular

That rabbit's dynamite!

You get a slow trickle of resources from opening caches and stuff, so you won't be completely sunk if you don't hunt, but you are going to be in a much better position to survive if you go full on Bambi/Thumper Massacre 2016. Some upgrades also require unique skins; I assume that I am at some point going to need to fight wild boars because there's an ammo pouch upgrade that needs a boar skin and not just generic animal skins, and I took a perk that alerts me if there is an "exotic" animal nearby.

So far, its only purpose has been to tell me that the first boss fight was nearby, but hey it will probably come in handy.

By contrast, the only other games I can recall that tried to make me do a lot of hunting were Assassin's Creed 3 and 4 and I hated it in both, absolutely despised it.

Oh, there's also a plot, something about a mythical artifact and saving the world or something? That's happening in cutscenes between the times when I am deer hunting and murdering guys for looking at me funny.

• OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Mars: War Logs:
    Loading...?

• SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Mars: War Logs:
    Loading...?

Thanks, I snagged this. Always looked interesting to me.

• DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    shdwcaster wrote: »
    DyasAlure wrote: »
    vamen wrote: »
    Holy crap, I think Tomb Raider might be the most beautiful game I've ever played. Everything cranked to max with some supersampling AA, and it looks just... I am awestruck. And my screenshot key is wearing out already.

Holy crap you aren't lying.
    I need to google and see if there is an app I can get to randomly take screenshots for me instead of me doing it manually. That way I can capture unexpected moments and such.

This is such an interesting concept to me. Imagine if there was a steam overlay add on. It would randomly take screen shots, sure a lot might be bad, but you never know what you would catch?

That right there, covers one of the main reasons why I'm trying to stream pretty much everything I play. To have a way to capture those random, unexpected moments of glee, and maybe even share them with another person or two.

I considered doing this, but do I really want to let everyone know how much I cheat in games?

See, I'd call that a personal problem. :) But then again, my main problem right now is that my regular half-hour stream time is right after I get my kids to bed, which works fine, except that my two-year-old usually gets up 2-5 times every night, and so tends to make occasional appearances on my streams.

Yes, it is a personal problem. I guess maybe some one would be interested, but I think most of what people are interested in is not people cheating to beat something. I am not young, and do not have the dedication to do what people who do speed run stuff do. I guess some people laughed at my "owe owe owe" from bioshock.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
    Tales of Symphonia preload is up.

Weird to see a 20 dollar game get a preload, not sure I've seen that before. Now that I'm complaining.

• akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    Lara Croft don't give a %^&#!
    Some people might quibble over an ancient vase. But Lara will kick that thing over to nab the coin rattling around inside.
    What does it matter if the entire ancient city is destroyed in the process. It will already have been cleaned out of actual valuables and Lara has read everything worth reading. It's not like she's gonna go back again later.
    Also there's no such thing as an "optional" tomb or cave for Lara. If she sees a cave, she is going in there no question. And every crevasse will be crossed, ropes climbed, underground rivers swum through, and any walls someone tried to build are going to get busted down until she finds a sarcophagus at the bottom of that cave and kicks that thing open for the prize inside. Lara's got bills to pay and complicated family history to work through. So tombs and caves are gonna get raided.
    Don't even get her started on wildlife. A deer is like a walking ancient vase. But instead of coins, it's got fine rich leather. Just jam that ice pick thing in there twist it around a bit, and bam. New bullet bag.

• bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »

@Corpekata your link is broken

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
    akajaybay wrote: »
    Lara Croft don't give a %^&#!
    Some people might quibble over an ancient vase. But Lara will kick that thing over to nab the coin rattling around inside.
    What does it matter if the entire ancient city is destroyed in the process. It will already have been cleaned out of actual valuables and Lara has read everything worth reading. It's not like she's gonna go back again later.
    Also there's no such thing as an "optional" tomb or cave for Lara. If she sees a cave, she is going in there no question. And every crevasse will be crossed, ropes climbed, underground rivers swum through, and any walls someone tried to build are going to get busted down until she finds a sarcophagus at the bottom of that cave and kicks that thing open for the prize inside. Lara's got bills to pay and complicated family history to work through. So tombs and caves are gonna get raided.
    Don't even get her started on wildlife. A deer is like a walking ancient vase. But instead of coins, it's got fine rich leather. Just jam that ice pick thing in there twist it around a bit, and bam. New bullet bag.

I... I can't tell if complaint or approval.

:lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    edited January 2016
    Corpekata wrote: »

@Corpekata your link is broken

I think GI took it down, it's not longer on the site even when searching. I think they might have posted the news early.

Corpekata on
  • akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Oh I forgot to include the part where I mention I love the new Tomb Raider game. I thought that was assumed.

Also, Lara doesn't need your gun charity, random mercenaries. Carrying around your fancy automatic weapons and the best modern handguns your mom could buy for you. Sure, Lara could pick that stuff up after she's snapped your neck, but that's not how she rolls. Lara only uses the best firearms. Dusty beauties she finds on the floor in a dank ancient ruin, or a killing machine carefully constructed from no less than four or five separate pieces discovered a minimum of a mile apart from each other. Bonus points if the schematics were drawn on ancient papyrus.
    So when Lara shoots you in the face, you know it was done with a weapon of class and distinction.

Until then, enjoy these silent arrows. Shhhh...no screams.

akajaybay on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Getting near the end of Dragon's Dogma so going to make a start on the next game on my currently playing list, Vampire: TMB. Anything I should know before starting? I've downloaded the unofficial patch and the only other thing I remember from when I played a few hours years ago was that there was one mission that was terrifying, so that should be fun!

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Getting near the end of Dragon's Dogma so going to make a start on the next game on my currently playing list, Vampire: TMB. Anything I should know before starting? I've downloaded the unofficial patch and the only other thing I remember from when I played a few hours years ago was that there was one mission that was terrifying, so that should be fun!

I think that's it. It's been awhile so I forgot if it's part of the Unofficial Patch but if it's your first time playing (which I assume it is) DO NOT install Camarilla mode, IIRC it's a pop up option while installing the patch. While the base game can be pretty easy it's better to get a hang of the systems before installing a mod patch that dramatically rebalances it and makes it harder.

This discussion has been closed.