As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    Getting near the end of Dragon's Dogma so going to make a start on the next game on my currently playing list, Vampire: TMB. Anything I should know before starting? I've downloaded the unofficial patch and the only other thing I remember from when I played a few hours years ago was that there was one mission that was terrifying, so that should be fun!

The usual recommendation is not to take Malkavian the first go through (because... reasons :P ), but honestly, if you're only ever going through that game once (and you're certain,) go Malk.

steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Getting near the end of Dragon's Dogma so going to make a start on the next game on my currently playing list, Vampire: TMB. Anything I should know before starting? I've downloaded the unofficial patch and the only other thing I remember from when I played a few hours years ago was that there was one mission that was terrifying, so that should be fun!

It's generally recommended to not play Malkavian or Nosferatu on your first run. They're both interesting but fairly... unique... and the Malkavian in particular gets more out of being played when you've already experienced the game.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Bundlestars is giving away a free game called 8 Bit Boy. I already own it, but don't remember anything about the game.

• Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    ok massive chalice update. still enjoying it and i think ive figured out a system to work with how i would prefer to play it.

that being said i am 36 years into the game, i have 4 keeps, a sage guild, and a crucible on the way (i think maybe 2 or 3 years out)
    almost all of the people assigned to keeps have longevity. i think only 2 of the 8 dont. they also all have atleast some combination of bountiful, quick, and brainy. i also happened to get an event that gave everyone who was of age at the time the patriotic trait.
    thats all the min/maxing i plan to do. i just wanted to have it start like it was a really strong prosperous kingdom, and now i look forward to seeing if it leads to a kingdom of super descendants, or if it all falls apart because someone develops asthma and/or heart disease and secretly passes that on to everyone because you dont see it coming until its too late.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Yeah I didn't go Malk because I know abiut the crazy weird stuff. Definitely one for a second playthrough. Went Toreador, gonna seduce and hack everything.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Bundlestars is giving away a free game called 8 Bit Boy. I already own it, but don't remember anything about the game.

8BitBoy went in my fuckoff bin, because it's as hard as older platformers, but with none of the charm.

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
  • Options
    ElderPaoElderPao Registered User regular
    Has anyone checked out Crashlands yet?

store.steampowered.com/app/391730/

If you've ever played Don't Starve and thought, "I would really love this game if it weren't for all the starving.", this might be your new jam.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

Stardew Valley new trailer and finally a release date of Feb 26

• Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    So with Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders out I guess I should do something with the free copy of the previous game that I got with my preorder. Hopefully there's someone out there who hasn't played it, though "hopefully" isn't really the right word since everyone should have played it. It's just an incredible game all around. I played through it twice, 100%ing it both times, and it was easily my game of the year in 2013.

signature.png

Ends Sunday at noon PST.

• Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is seriously a beautiful game. I was also shocked (and really happy) that as of the first two hours of my play time, it's been a lot more about traversing wilderness, surviving, and poking around tombs than combat. I have fired my gun more times to deal with environmental hazards than to kill dudes, which I love.

Also, Lara actually wears pants to crawl around dirty ass places with skeletons and shit.... Which should be one of those "duh" things, but god damn does that make me happy compared to the old Lara.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

Guns suck at first but become useful later. Melee is less effective than leveling up Brawling at the very start but becomes stronger than unarmed combat by mid-game. Brawling affects how easily you grab people for a midfight snack so some investment is always useful.

The Research skill lets you use skill books you can find that permanently increase skills so it's very worth increasing.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    AntoshkaAntoshka Miauen Oil Change LazarusRegistered User regular
    I hoped to get by under the radar this year, but it seems certain people are intent upon this not happening.

Va1wlMO.png

So, apologies for the likely somewhat large list going on here, but it's

9YqicPQ.png

Thank you for the well wishes, terrible, terrible puns, games, and book!
    @destroyah87 for Subnautica, and the best (worst?) of the terrible, terrible puns
    @akajaybay for Oxenfree
    @Isorn for Beyond Eyes
    @Corsini for The Culling of the Cows, Secret of the Magic Crystals, and Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
    @UseR2006 for Suits, Reveal the Deep, and The Final Hours of Tomb Raider
    This post brought to you by my atrocious image editing skills
    This post actually brought to you an amazingly friendly community of people, hereafter shorthanded as Monsters, one and all
    And the number 27
    And @Pixelated Pixie, who also remembers somehow. I suspect technological shenanigans

<3

n57PM0C.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    When me and some friends played a GURPSed version of VtM, I picked Malk.

It pains me to think about waiting to pick the one, true clan.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    Awwww, I missed existential Steam Thread(tm).

And @hatedinamerica ninja gifted me!

7N8QktW.png

Thanks for Starward Rogue!

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Nothing you missed mattered much anyway.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Rise of the Tomb Raider is seriously a beautiful game. I was also shocked (and really happy) that as of the first two hours of my play time, it's been a lot more about traversing wilderness, surviving, and poking around tombs than combat. I have fired my gun more times to deal with environmental hazards than to kill dudes, which I love.

Also, Lara actually wears pants to crawl around dirty ass places with skeletons and shit.... Which should be one of those "duh" things, but god damn does that make me happy compared to the old Lara.

Relevant XKCD.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular

Relevant XKCD.

Tee hee

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Ok @DyasAlure I've got a random screenshot script using AutoHotKey.

Every 10 seconds there is a 1 in 60 chance of taking a screenshot. So it should average at least 1 screen shot every 10 minutes. If you want it more frequent, just reduce the 60. Also this is based off the default F12 screenshot key.
    Loop
    {
    Random, Rdm, 1, 60
    if (Rdm = 1)
          Send {F12}
    sleep, 10000
    }

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Antoshka wrote: »
    I hoped to get by under the radar this year, but it seems certain people are intent upon this not happening.

Va1wlMO.png

So, apologies for the likely somewhat large list going on here, but it's

9YqicPQ.png

Thank you for the well wishes, terrible, terrible puns, games, and book!
    destroyah87 for Subnautica, and the best (worst?) of the terrible, terrible puns
    akajaybay for Oxenfree
    Isorn for Beyond Eyes
    Corsini for The Culling of the Cows, Secret of the Magic Crystals, and Sherlock Holmes: Consulting Detective
    UseR2006 for Suits, Reveal the Deep, and The Final Hours of Tomb Raider
    This post brought to you by my atrocious image editing skills
    This post actually brought to you an amazingly friendly community of people, hereafter shorthanded as Monsters, one and all
    And the number 27
    And "Pixelated Pixie", who also remembers somehow. I suspect technological shenanigans
    And CorriganX

<3

Hahahahaha.

Hope you Enjoy them, since you clearly tried to make it difficult. ;)
    Plus you can never have enough tomb raider.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    akajaybayakajaybay Registered User regular
    I'm enjoying the latest Berylline Dishonored stream.
    "Do they not know I'm evil yet?"
    "Oh...they know I'm evil."
    That and brazenly eating a guard's apple right in front of him. He was very offended. That was his lunch.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    I'm afraid it's terminal.

zVfadCb.jpg

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Oooh Oxenfree looks really neat.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Aistan wrote: »
    So with Rise of the Planet of the Tomb Raiders out I guess I should do something with the free copy of the previous game that I got with my preorder. Hopefully there's someone out there who hasn't played it, though "hopefully" isn't really the right word since everyone should have played it. It's just an incredible game all around. I played through it twice, 100%ing it both times, and it was easily my game of the year in 2013.

signature.png

Ends Sunday at noon PST.

I never played the first TR. Can't enter the giveaway because I'm not in the cool club. :(

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »

signature.png

Ends Sunday at noon PST.

I never played the first TR. Can't enter the giveaway because I'm not in the cool club. :(

Well, @MNC Dover, if you were to post a link to your Steam profile page, someone might take care of that for you...

:wink:

Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    Iolo wrote: »

signature.png

Ends Sunday at noon PST.

Well, @MNC Dover, if you were to post a link to your Steam profile page, someone might take care of that for you...

:wink:

What are you talking about? It's right there in my signature!
    >.>
    <.<
    Oops! :D

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    signature.png

Ends Sunday at noon PST.

I never played the first TR.

*twitch*

• Options
    SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular

Play the strength of your clan and you should be fine.
    Malkovian is very very different than any other run through. You are crazy but also seeing "hidden truths" at times. The best Malk experience is as a second playtrough, but you can also just play as one and get a really weird experience (where you don't always quite know what's going on)

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • Options
    AistanAistan Tiny Bat Registered User regular
    I very nearly wrote "first" instead of "previous" in that post, then my inner pedant grabbed hold and made me change it. I never played the first first Tomb Raider either, I went into the series with Legend. Anniversary was great, Underworld was... not as much.

I made it Adventure Team only just on reflex. It's not difficult to get in though. Sorry about that.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    So, it's @Antoshka 's birthday.
    Naturally this means he gifts me Bioshock 2...
    Wait.
    That's now how this works!
    t2ujxx29elfs.png

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    Where did this come from and why have I never heard of it?

This looks wild. And ultra cheesy. Cheesy is great.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
  • Options
    PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    ive never played any tomb raider myself, except for like 3 minutes over at a friends house where i remember a tiger jumping out of a bush and i jump away and slid down a hill. thats my entire laura experience, and i think im ok with that.

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    ive never played any tomb raider myself, except for like 3 minutes over at a friends house where i remember a tiger jumping out of a bush and i jump away and slid down a hill. thats my entire laura experience, and i think im ok with that.

Was it the old Tomb Raider or the modern one? They're very different games. I don't remember tigers in Tomb Raider 2013, but my memory is hazy on that game. It was really good, though.

• Options
    signature.png

Ends Sunday at noon PST.

*twitch*

I've never played any Tomb Raider.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

It's from the shambling corpse of 3D realms and it's getting pretty bad reviews. Plus hoo boy there's a stupid story behind this one. Someone else can provably fill that story in faster than I could on mu phone right now.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016

Haha holy shit I didn't even know the reanimated corpse of 3D Realms was putting out this game for release today.

In case you're not familiar with the sordid history, Bombshell was originally going to be Duke Nukem's sidekick way back in the super early versions Duke Nukem Forever. Decades and a spat with Gearbox later (who owns the Duke rights now), and you have what is essentially a Duke Nukem spinoff but not really.

edit: let me emphasize how absurd it was: 3D Realms sold the Duke IP to gearbox and then proceeded to make game based on the IP, wherein Randy Pitchford went, "You dingbats just sold me the frickin IP what the fuck man," and threatened to have his lawyers rip 3D Realms' head off and shit down its neck if they didn't dissociate the game from Duke. It's bonkers.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    signature.png

Ends Sunday at noon PST.

*twitch*

I've never played any Tomb Raider.

I played a few minutes of the original on the PS1 (yuck!) and about an hour of the rerelease on Wii. So yeah, TR has not been impressive at all. I hear that the reboot was good, but in that cinematic Uncharted kind of way (another series I never played).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular

Saying "this gun is amazing" is wildly underselling it

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options

It looks very entertaining. But I can't tell, is it a top down ARPG, or a 3rd person shooter? Not that it would matter.

• Options
    StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Zxerol wrote: »

Haha holy shit I didn't even know the reanimated corpse of 3D Realms was putting out this game for release today.

In case you're not familiar with the sordid history, Bombshell was originally going to be Duke Nukem's sidekick way back in the super early versions Duke Nukem Forever. Decades and a spat with Gearbox later (who owns the Duke rights now), and you have what is essentially a Duke Nukem spinoff but not really.

3D Realms still existing in any capacity is weird enough, but that second part takes it to a whole new level of bizarre and sad. The specter of DNF looms ever large.

The premise of "cyborg commando rescues the president in space" seems hard to fuck up but it would not surprise me to learn they found a way.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Options
    Meh. Many of my favorite games get unfavorable reviews. I may have bad taste, who knows. But I know when I'm having fun, and fun does not always go with "good" games.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
This discussion has been closed.