As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Meh. Many of my favorite games get unfavorable reviews. I may have bad taste, who knows. But I know when I'm having fun, and fun does not always go with "good" games.

Fun is in the eye of the beer-holder, I mean beholder.

I will take a look at that game though, funnily enough, hearing the history behind it makes me more curious/interested instead of less.

steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Getting a steam card and buying both Invisible Inc and Darkest Dungeon for around $50 NZ was terrific. Darkest Dungeon is an obscenely fun game, though I am beginning to run out of friends from my roleplay groups to call the various people I send down there.

Speaking of, it's time to hire some victi- I mean heroes, fresh off the stage coach to do some money runs. Why, they don't need anything like supplies or similar at all....

Edit: It has been great getting back into PC gaming as well, especially after I was forced to sell all of my consoles last year (somehow, you have to eat), so it's been a long time since I was able to sit down and play games again.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • KalnaurKalnaur I See Rain . . . Centralia, WARegistered User regular
    Honestly, I will look in to games regardless of their "score", though 6/10 or 60% is generally a fine marker for me. If it's less than that, I begin to look for exactly what so many folks didn't like, and if it's something I can handle/something I don't care about, onward I go. :biggrin:

I make art things! deviantART: Kalnaur ::: Origin: Kalnaur ::: UPlay: Kalnaur
    Also I can't believe how many good games there are you can get on steam for essentially nothing. After looking at it for a while, it's definitely a better idea to upgrade to a new gaming capable laptop (my current laptop struggles running Darkest Dungeon) rather than buy an Xbox One or PS4.

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Getting a steam card and buying both Invisible Inc and Darkest Dungeon for around $50 NZ was terrific. Darkest Dungeon is an obscenely fun game, though I am beginning to run out of friends from my roleplay groups to call the various people I send down there.

Speaking of, it's time to hire some victi- I mean heroes, fresh off the stage coach to do some money runs. Why, they don't need anything like supplies or similar at all....

Edit: It has been great getting back into PC gaming as well, especially after I was forced to sell all of my consoles last year (somehow, you have to eat), so it's been a long time since I was able to sit down and play games again.

I've recently gotten sucked back into Invisible, Inc., and it is fantastic. I got a few achievements that I didn't ever expect to get, and I'm determined to see the end with Contingency Plan (even though I had to bump it down to beginner like a scrub).

The ones I picked up were:
    The Limit for completing a level after getting to alarm level 6 on expert (when I thought I was still good at this game)
    Meta-Hacking for following a FAQ I found ages ago and dicking around with a .lua file in the install directory
    Meat Machine because Contingency Plan gave me enough time to finally get 4 augments installed on a single agent (Hi Internationale!)

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Oh trash games can still be fun, no question there. There's just a fine line between fun bad and just bad, and having 3DR anywhere near something crooks a concerned eyebrow or two.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular

Tasty appetizers for XCOM 2 next week, I bet.

Zxerol wrote: »

Zxerol wrote: »

You guessed that right :P

Tangent: Valkyria Chronicles is currently five bucks and way too many Steam buddies don't have that yet.

Some folks need to rectify that post-haste, or measures will be taken.

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I should really pick up the DLC for Invisible after I finish Tomb Raider and get some games on before XCOM 2 drops. God knows it's criminal that I haven't played it as much as I should.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    I'm rather surprised there were no ass shots of her in that entire first trail-
    Where did this come from and why have I never heard of it?

This looks wild. And ultra cheesy. Cheesy is great.

Saying "this gun is amazing" is wildly underselling it

Skull on her chest, wowzers.

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    FNG is Rocket League tonight, correct?

I think I can make it for the first hour but then I'm hanging out with a friend so just wanted to double check.

Reviews of game can and do color my perception of a game I'll potentially play. While I stay away from mostly negative to mixed reviewed games, I can't say I've always enjoyed the higher reviewed games either. So really I should be giving the lower rated games a chance.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    The first half of Tomb Raider was really good, but it kinda went down in quality in the later half. It wasn't bad per se, but it was definitely pretty mediocre.

• DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Also the developer of Bombshell is Interceptor. Their Rise of the Triad remake was pretty decent once it got a truckload of updates and bug fixes.

Sure it may be grindhouse game development but I think that's part of the charm with this sort of thing.

• RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Got no problem with Grindhouse (besides it being technically out of reach), just be fun.

edit: Suddenly envisioned Bombshell traveling through time to interact with her 70's grindhouse ancestors.

RoyceSraphim on
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Stolls wrote: »
    Tangent: Valkyria Chronicles is currently five bucks and way too many Steam buddies don't have that yet.

Unpopular opinion alert - I couldn't get past the jank scoring system myself - all things disregarded except speed is kind of dumb, especially when you consider it's a full blown war. "They touched our flag!" "So what? We outnumber them ten to one and the person that touched our flag is surrounded by a dozen soldiers!" "But...but.. our flag!" "Alright fine, we surrender!"

Capturing the enemy general that is not.

I love that on the side it says "3 times the gun, 3 times the fun".

• UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular

what game is this?

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• PetesalzlPetesalzl vorpal blade in hand Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Petesalzl wrote: »
    ive never played any tomb raider myself, except for like 3 minutes over at a friends house where i remember a tiger jumping out of a bush and i jump away and slid down a hill. thats my entire laura experience, and i think im ok with that.

Was it the old Tomb Raider or the modern one? They're very different games. I don't remember tigers in Tomb Raider 2013, but my memory is hazy on that game. It was really good, though.

i have no idea, it was many years ago. very rough guess would be late 90s early 00s. im leaning towards the 90s. i know it wasnt the very first one though.

• FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    Today we got Rocket League on the Friday Night Gaming menu.
    It's going to start at 8PM Central/6PM Pacific/9 Eastern Times

It's going to be an 4 v 4 game if we can fill the bracket, if not we'll try 3 v 3 or Handicap.

But before we kick ass, let's take some names...
    Just either show some interest, throw a PM or @, whichever if you want to join.

I will update with names as they come up.

steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    For Hexcells/Squarecells/Picross people:

You will absolutely LOVE the first one of these puzzles:

http://www.iflscience.com/brain/nobody-has-been-able-solve-gchqs-christmas-card-puzzle

e: And now I've found a bloody contradiction in it. Blah.

e2: NOPE. Messed up early. Damnit. Gonna have to start over at home.

Jragghen on
    edited January 2016
    Drake wrote: »
    Also the developer of Bombshell is Interceptor. Their Rise of the Triad remake was pretty decent once it got a truckload of updates and bug fixes.

Sure it may be grindhouse game development but I think that's part of the charm with this sort of thing.

And like that the waveform of my opinion is back up. Go figure.
    Donnicton wrote: »

Unpopular opinion alert - I couldn't get past the jank scoring system myself - all things disregarded except speed is kind of dumb, especially when you consider it's a full blown war. "They touched our flag!" "So what? We outnumber them ten to one and the person that touched our flag is surrounded by a dozen soldiers!" "But...but.. our flag!" "Alright fine, we surrender!"

No flag, no country. Those are the rules.

The scoring system is pretty rubbish and favors crazy scout rushes - which I kind of sucked at so I tended not to bother - but I still love the game for its presentation and funky mutant realtime/turn-based gameplay. Later installments actually made good improvements, but the series was basically sent to the PSP to die at that point; a PC port had long seemed like a pipe dream born from the resulting despair. For the most part I'm just glad to see it get another shot at daylight.

Stolls on
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Ok @DyasAlure I've got a random screenshot script using AutoHotKey.

Every 10 seconds there is a 1 in 60 chance of taking a screenshot. So it should average at least 1 screen shot every 10 minutes. If you want it more frequent, just reduce the 60. Also this is based off the default F12 screenshot key.
    Loop
    {
    Random, Rdm, 1, 60
    if (Rdm = 1)
          Send {F12}
    sleep, 10000
    }

I, I guess I need to do this now. I wonder what I will get? Not sure that tabletop simulator will be very interesting. If I get back to FF VIII it might be.

Edit:
    Also, I loved the reboot of Tomb Raider. I tried to play the old tomb raider, but I think it was the anniversary I couldn't save, so that was a deal breaker. Maybe I should try again now that I have windows 10. I am unsure if my computer could even play the new tomb raider.

DyasAlure on
    My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Best part is it's a real gun.

I'm tempted by Bombshell myself. I'd get it if it was just a bit cheaper. Nuuvem had the deluxe edition on sale for a price that converted to about twelve quid, but they're doing that 'checking origin of payment' thing on it.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »

Best part is it's a real gun.

I'm tempted by Bombshell myself. I'd get it if it was just a bit cheaper. Nuuvem had the deluxe edition on sale for a price that converted to about twelve quid, but they're doing that 'checking origin of payment' thing on it.

Yeah, it's a bit too pricey for me to dive into for giggles, especially right now. But on a good sale? I'd have to nab it. :D

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • HeirTransparentHeirTransparent ... Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I've been really enjoying The Witness so far. Gives me the brain-sweats in the best possible way. I'm already well on my way to having a detective show "crazy wall" next to my computer.
    sQWPRD7.jpg
    I'll have to remember to pick up more red string the next time I'm out.

HeirTransparent on
    steam_sig.png
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular

For a game named Bombshell I would expect a protagonist other than Kristen Stewart.

Wonder if the enemies sparkle in the daylight...

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    an_alt wrote: »

For a game named Bombshell I would expect a protagonist other than Kristen Stewart.

Wonder if the enemies sparkle in the daylight...

Someone hasn't seen American Ultra.

Houn on
  • KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »

No flag, no country. Those are the rules.

The scoring system is pretty rubbish and favors crazy scout rushes - which I kind of sucked at so I tended not to bother - but I still love the game for its presentation and funky mutant realtime/turn-based gameplay. Later installments actually made good improvements, but the series was basically sent to the PSP to die at that point; a PC port had long seemed like a pipe dream born from the resulting despair. For the most part I'm just glad to see it get another shot at daylight.

Yeah, acing missions should usually be saved for NG+, some are downright impossible to do until you have elite troops (level 11+) running around the battlefield.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I played and finished VC on the PS3 way back when. Loved it to death and was saddened to see the series continue on the PSP. I should probably get it on Steam just because. One less reason to keep the old PS3 around (although how would I play Blu-Rays and Suikoden?).

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Man, @Stolls is at it again. I was already in a good mood because it's friday and then, out of no where, I get surprised with valkyria chronicles. Thanks for making a good day even better Stolls! Looking forward to getting into this this weekend.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    It's ok, @Antoshka, giving the gift of backstabbing, murder, and some quite nice level design is nothing to be ashamed of.
    15xit3xbqgkl.jpg
    Why, it's downright dielightful. Thank you for The Ship: Murder Party!

steam_sig.png
    Testing out a few things in creating private matches in Rocket League, found out a couple things;
    - I do not have to host servers myself. Wheee~ no one has to put with my shit internet provider plan!

This, which I found to be most important;
    - Private matches has a loads of more options! Moonball and Infinite boost?

I have never been turned on about football before!

So far I got 2 down in the bracket.
    @Sumanai and perhaps @Karoz interested in playing matches.

Soon as it gets to be time, I will put down the name of the match game on this thread so anyone can join.
    Password is the same as any other PA server.

steam_sig.png

SkutSkut wrote: »

I was with it up until the bullet hell bosses. It was very close to getting added to the list. But just generally speaking, bullet hell is a big old nope.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ot7uXNQskhs

Stardew Valley new trailer and finally a release date of Feb 26

I just went from knowing nothing about this game to being super excited about it in the amount of time it took to watch the trailer. I love harvest moon and this looks amazing.

Steam: offday
  • SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Firebird wrote: »
    Testing out a few things in creating private matches in Rocket League, found out a couple things;
    - I do not have to host servers myself. Wheee~ no one has to put with my shit internet provider plan!

This, which I found to be most important;
    - Private matches has a loads of more options! Moonball and Infinite boost?

I have never been turned on about football before!

So far I got 2 down in the bracket.
    Sumanai and perhaps Karoz interested in playing matches.

Soon as it gets to be time, I will put down the name of the match game on this thread so anyone can join.
    Password is the same as any other PA server.

Don't forget that if you only have Rocket League on PS4, you should also be able to join us. Parties don't work cross-platform but private lobbies do.

camo_sig2.png
    Ok, starting Rocket League in a bit, if anyone wants to join, search for the following lobby name;

PA- Ridin' Dirty

Feeling that we won't be too busy, I will leave passwords off for the time being.
    We'll be using Eastern US servers.

steam_sig.png

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Huzzah!! I won Elegy For A Dead Work from Iolo's contest! So not only do I have self-prescribed math and logic puzzle homework that'll occupy my time after work this week, I've now got a bunch of essays to write.

Strangely I see this as an improvement. Thanks my man :biggrin:

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Whoops, paging Dr @Iolo ^

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.