As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South BYOC Registration

GammaGamma [E] PC BYOC ManagerCaliforniaRegistered User regular
edited January 2016 in PAX South
PAX South 2016 BYOC Information - @BYOC_South
Registration Status: OPEN
Convention center Load-In Maps and Information

If you're driving to PAX South with your computer in tow, we have temporary load and unload parking available via the Alamo Street Loading Docks. It's right off Alamo street just barely North of Villita Street, and it's only accessible via the northbound lanes.

Here's an ultra zoomed in map: http://bit.ly/1x6gByW.

Here is what the entrance looks like: https://goo.gl/maps/wEwHt

Isn't technology great?

Once parked, you'll bring your gear into the Table Top Room (Used to be the Queue Room) to the right side. About halfway down the Queue Room will be the BYOC Registration Entrance, and we'll be able to get you covered there. Be warned, the parking in the loading dock is for load in and load out only. You will have about 5-10 minutes. Sorry, but we have to be super duper strict on this!

If you aren't driving, just haul your gear straight to the PC Room via the Queue Room. You can hopefully get a feel for how to get there once in the building via this map (Coming Soon!), and when in doubt, just ask any of our Enforcers.

The PC Room has early entry on Friday (and only Friday) to find a seat and set up your gear. Saturday and Sunday opening will be 10:00am.

Group Seating Information
Group Seating Requirements
Your party is considered a group if you have SIX or more people.
Groups must pre-register seating assignments prior to PAX, or else seats will be based on first come first serve availability
Requests are taken on a first come, first serve basis.
To request group seating, use the seating chart below to choose your seats and email pax_pc@paxsite.com

Include the following information when requesting:
  • Group Name
  • Number of People (include handles too)
  • Desired Location
Current Seating Chart
2016-01-22_2113.png

BYOC FAQ

Q: What does B.Y.O.C. stand for?
A: "Bring Your Own Computer" a dedicated, secure place within PAX that attendees who purchase the additional badge have the ability to bring their own computer into PAX and play with other PAX attendees! It's a gigantic LAN Party and a pretty awesome place to rest your feet when you get tired of walking around the convention!

Q: How do I purchase a BYOC Badge?
A: Badges are being sold separately from PAX South Registration. BYOC badges will be mailed to you ahead of PAX just like your Attendee Badges.

Q: PAX is Sold Out. I didn't get PAX Admission Badges (3 day or single days). Can I still get into BYOC without?
A: No. BYOC Badges do not grant overall PAX show attendee admission. Obtain PAX Admission Badges prior to purchasing BYOC Badges.

Q: PAX is Sold Out. Am I able to purchase or obtain PAX Admission Badges (3 day or single days) when BYOC Badges sales open?
A: No. The BYOC Badge Registration Link is only for BYOC badges, and not PAX admission badges.

Q: How many BYOC Spots are available?
A: A total of 250 seats will be available at Pax South 2016.

Q: BYOC is sold out and I didn't get a pass! Are passes set aside for later purchase? What about cancellations?
A: We do not reserve any BYOC tickets for sale at a later date, so there are no additional tickets to be sold. If there are any cancellations, we may be able to, on an extremely limited basis, offer the cancelled tickets up for general purchase. Contact registration at paxsite dot com for specific inquiries.

Q: How much does BYOC cost?
A: $35 in addition to your regular 3-Day PAX pass (or Single Day Passes, should you decide to do that).

Q: What time do you recommend (or require) people show up for BYOC check-in?
A: Check in will start at 9:00 AM, 1 hour before PAX opening on Friday. Depending on this year's policy and layout, you may need to wait to get into the Expo Hall or return to the line after you set up your computer.

Q: What hours does the BYOC run each day?
A: Same hours as PAX, basically. The room will close down about an hour before the doors shut for PAX.

Q: Do I leave my stuff in the LAN the whole time?
A: Yes. The room is guarded all during PAX and locked up at night. We are the first ones in and the last ones out. If you must take your stuff up (like a laptop) you need to check it out at the security desk as you leave and check it back in when you return.

Q: What games are typically played?
A: Whatever is popular this year. TF2, LoL, CS-GO, WoW, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Rocket League, Unreal Tournament, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.

Q: What if I want to play DOTA 2 this year? Are you guys going to have LoL?
A: Because we have a limited amount of bandwidth we are very careful to primarily include games that support local-only play. If a vendor chooses to sponsor bandwidth for their game we are able to include them on the image and plan for their allocation.

Q: If I get a spot for the BYOC, I don't need to commit to being in there the whole time, right? Just when I feel like relaxing and playing some games with people?
A: Correct, you aren't chained to your spot in BYOC. The majority of BYOC attendees are just there in-between the PAX events that they want to go see.

Q: Can I bring my 30+ something inch monitor/TV?
A: No. The max monitor size is 27" due to power and space constraints.

Q: Can I bring my own chair?
A: NO! The convention center doesn't allow this. Please use the chairs provided.

Q: Can I bring a laptop with my desktop?
A: Yes, as long as you stay within your 30" of table space. Although remember you only get one network port and two power ports per seat and you can't use your own power strips

Q: Can I bring a switch or my own power strip to increase that?
A: NO! No outside networking devices are allowed. Any spotted will be removed.
A: Daisy chaining power strips is a HUGE NO as well. Fire Marshall hates that so we need to enforce this pretty seriously. Sorry.

Q: Can I charge my iPhone, Android, iPad or other gadgets using power provided to my BYOC Seat?
A: No, you are only given two power outlets for all of your stuff. If you need to charge your phone or other device, bring a USB cable.

Q: Do I need to bring a network cable?
A: Yes. You will need a network cable to hook your computer up to the network switch at your table. Bring around a 25ft cable otherwise, depending where you are sitting, the switch may be out of your cables reach.

Q: Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* in BYOC with me?
A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

Q: Is there Internet in BYOC?
A: Yes there will be, although it will be locked down to prevent things like torrenting and throttled so not one person can use up all the bandwidth.

Q: But... how am I supposed to get my computer there?
A: Drive it! An alternate option which I have used to attend LANs that are far away, is to ship yourself your computer/monitor to your hotel you are staying at. If you call them and say you have a package coming they will hold it for you until you check-in. Just ship it back to yourself when PAX is over.

Q: Can I bring my xbox/playstation/nintendo console?
A: Sorry, no consoles allowed in here. This is a PC LAN. You can't being a console in addition either, those things use up a lot of power. Remember: You only get two power outlets.

Q: Can I Bring a cooler in for drinks/snacks?
A: Yes but only small personal coolers /w no ice (use the frozen gelpacks). If it has more than one handle and/or wheels then it won't be allowed in (think lunch sized cooler).

Q: Can I email you my question?
A: Yes! Feel free to email PC Questions to pax_pc@paxsite.com

Q: WHERE is BYOC this year?
A: As this is the second PAX South, layout is still being determined. A map will be provided as soon as available.

This FAQ subject to change

Gamma on

• David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited September 2015
    There will surely be seat reservation and general information posts coming soon, but just to get things started, BYOC for PAX South 2016 is available here.

As always, a day pass to PAX is also required.

David Coffman on
  • macrogeekmacrogeek Registered User regular
    Woohoo! Registered and excited.

• mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Glad I checked, I was wondering about this. Tickets bought. Love me some byoc.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• SwaeSwae Registered User regular
    Got my pass!

• MightyMuttMightyMutt Registered User regular
    Anybody know how the turnout was last year for the PC gaming area throughout the weekend?

RbaRXdO.png
  • mayapplemayapple TennesseeRegistered User regular
    MightyMutt wrote: »
    Anybody know how the turnout was last year for the PC gaming area throughout the weekend?

The BYOC was not full if that is what you mean. We have done the BYOC at East as well, and it was by far not the same. I think this year will be better.

With that said, it was incredibly well run at South. We had lots of tournies and some BYOC perk competitions, which was nice. So the people who did come to be BYOCers got a great experience.

e6txb8m8cavf.png

• AshTRAshTR Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited October 2015
    Oooh neat, should be getting my pass for doing the BYOC again. I'm hoping it's a bit better organized in terms of communication between everyone so people can play more games together in the 2016 BYOC. It was so disappointing that the only form of chat was the little tiny web-based one instead of something more robust like IRC or what not.

That said, it was so nice having internet and servers that actually function, unlike the crap QuakeCon threw at people for this year.

AshTR on
    zEjfyle.png
  • sirenitisireniti USARegistered User regular
    Is there going to be BYOC group seating at South?

• StinkyTurdStinkyTurd Registered User regular
    Man I'd love to do byoc this year but I don't think my rig would survive the greyhound bus :(

• taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular
    sireniti wrote: »
    Is there going to be BYOC group seating at South?

Yes. We're working on it now and I hope it's out this time next week.

yBfDKg5.png
  • LucidoLucido LANFest Staff Registered User new member
    edited December 2015
    If anyone has another other questions please email us at pax_pc@paxsite.com

Lucido on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited December 2015
    Merged the old thread into the new OP so the byoc staffer in charge of group seating and such can control the thread.

cheers

zerzhul on
  • AshTRAshTR Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Uhh...Am I too late for reg for BYOC badges? I was just about to grab one with my paycheck being awesomely huge from holiday pay and it looks like the link is gone. :(

EDIT: Derp, forgot to check second post. Why is this not linked in the first post?

AshTR on
    zEjfyle.png
  • hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Didn't get my BYOC badge with my regular badge. Can I assume it is coming in a separate envelope?

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
    I would hope so! Email pax_questions@paxsite.com

• EtaoinEtaoin South Barcrawl Lead, Omeganaut S16 TexasRegistered User regular
    Didn't get my BYOC badge with my regular badge. Can I assume it is coming in a separate envelope?

I'm in the same boat but they did ship separately last year.

7paDBmR.png
    edited January 2016
    Etaoin wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat but they did ship separately last year.

That makes sense. I couldn't remember what they did last year as going to 3 PAXes a year makes it hard to keep track. :P

hobbseltoff on
    row1.pngrow2.png
    zerzhul wrote: »

Just got an e-mail back from them. They confirmed that they are coming separately.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • JP_JP_ Registered User new member
    Can you buy a BYOC ticket at the door?

JP_ wrote: »
    I don't know! so many differences at South since it doesn't sell completely out yet. That's a great question to ask pax_questions@paxsite.com

• GammaGamma [E] PC BYOC Manager CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Seating chart updated!

I don't know! so many differences at South since it doesn't sell completely out yet. That's a great question to ask pax_questions@paxsite.com

You couldn't last year. Don't know if it will be the same.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • JezabaleJezabale Registered User regular
    At this point there is no way I could receive the tickets in time, so if anyone finds out for sure about buying them at the door that would be awesome!

• mariomaster777mariomaster777 Registered User regular

Just got an e-mail back from them. They confirmed that they are coming separately.

Anyone receive their BYOC badges yet? I personally have not, and we're less than 2 weeks out. The concern factor is rising.

• MagnusCarterMagnusCarter Registered User regular

You couldn't last year. Don't know if it will be the same.

Not sure when you tried, I managed to pick up two on the door last year.

• LucidoLucido LANFest Staff Registered User new member
    Hello Everyone! This is the latest information we have from PAX South. Continue to buy BYOC tickets, you can get them at will call (bring receipt/confirmation). Also BYOC tickets just shipped, wait another few days but maybe reach back out on Friday.

Lucido wrote: »
    Hello Everyone! This is the latest information we have from PAX South. Continue to buy BYOC tickets, you can get them at will call (bring receipt/confirmation). Also BYOC tickets just shipped, wait another few days but maybe reach back out on Friday.

Something I just thought of - you'll be able to buy tickets until probably next Wednesday/Thursday (I'll try to get confirmation) but it will complicate your dropping off your gear on Friday morning! For those folks who this applies to, make sure you get your BYOC badge at will call before dropping your gear off - if you can, getting your badge from will call on Thursday will be much easier.

yBfDKg5.png
    Fellow BYOC peeps, shall we come up with a recommended game list so we can start preloading and updating things?

• contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    I received my BYOC badge yesterday so keep an eye out for yours.

PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    macrogeek wrote: »
    Fellow BYOC peeps, shall we come up with a recommended game list so we can start preloading and updating things?
    I know it's a little buried above, but these will probably be easy bets. I myself will be rocking Rocket League for a solid chunk of my time.
    Q: What games are typically played?
    A: Whatever is popular this year. TF2, LoL, CS-GO, WoW, Starcraft 2, Portal 2, Rocket League, Unreal Tournament, etc. If you want to play a game you can find others that are up for it as well.
    I might also add Civ, Hearthstone, Minecraft (race to cake challenge?), Shootmania. I dunno, are those still popular?

Artemis. Might even get a multi ship game online.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
    Rocket League - good catch.
    I think we should do a Monday Night Combat or Super Monday Night Combat match or two. (I miss those games) SMNC is free to play.
    The new Unreal Tournament is free in Beta.

• deathtrouperdeathtrouper Registered User new member
    Is there any way to get a BYOC pass now? I already have a three day pass.

I pulled up the link last night and it said reg was closed.

• AirAssault237AirAssault237 Flying Boat boi San AntonioRegistered User regular
    macrogeek wrote: »

Maybe some ArmA 3 and gmod (melon bomber, prophunt, TTT, etc.), Rainbow Six Siege (if it decides not to be an annoying little sh*t), Dirty Bomb, L4D2, Minecraft, and Insurgency. Hell, we should also have an FSX LAN game just for the shits ang giggles! Now if only BF4 had LAN...

djhzzwy17hd0.png
    "There are pilots and there are pilots; with the good ones, it is inborn." - BG Robin Olds
    "Weather today fine but high waves." - ADM Tōgō Heihachirō
  • darkinferodarkinfero BOP-IT Malden, MARegistered User regular
    I was wondering if there was a way for me to grab a BYOC badge. I had my friends tell me to do it.
    I didn't know what my availability would be before pax.

My Pin collection
    signature_zpsna6t17lm.png
    Pinny Pal since PAX Prime 2013
  • XstreamPokerXstreamPoker Registered User new member
    Is there any way for me to get 1 possibly 2 BYOC passes?

• AirAssault237AirAssault237 Flying Boat boi San AntonioRegistered User regular
    At PAX. Went to South Alamo st like they said and found nothing. Ideas?

djhzzwy17hd0.png
    "There are pilots and there are pilots; with the good ones, it is inborn." - BG Robin Olds
    "Weather today fine but high waves." - ADM Tōgō Heihachirō
    At PAX. Went to South Alamo st like they said and found nothing. Ideas?

Hopefully you're in and everything is awesome?

yBfDKg5.png