As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ethernet Trouble With New Computer

durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
Alright this is annoying and seems to happen with every goddamn new build.

Just put together with my much more practiced girlfriend a lovely new computer! It's even got cable management solutions now.

Motherboard: Asrock Z170 Pro4S
CPU: Intel i5 6600
GPU: GTX 970
Using old SSD and HDD with Windows 7 installed.

Currently, it's running fine with a little wireless dongle for a connection.

But it drops in and out of recognizing that there's an ethernet cable plugged in, and I'd prefer to use the ethernet cable if possible. It's infuriating because sometimes it just pops on like it's going to be fine, then 10 minutes later the ethernet drops again and it refused to even recognize that there's a cable plugged in.

Drivers:
-I've got the latest LAN drivers installed [Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-V]
-I've uninstalled them, reinstalled them from the latest web drivers, from the CD that came with the motherboard, etc and so on. I do not think it is definitely the drivers.
-All the drivers available for the Asrock motherboard are updated with their latest versions

Physical:
-The cable worked 10 minutes before being plugged into the new setup. It works when plugged into my laptop. It's been functional for years without issue.
-The cable works fine when the damn thing suddenly decides to recognize it's plugged in.
-The router port on the motherboard works when it works, displaying activity and speed lights as indicated by the manual.

Modem/Router:
-The modem and router have been power-cycled.
-The modem displays all indicators green.
-The router displays all indicators green.

Last I left it:

The ethernet connection was functional, but operating at an incredibly slow speed. Looking at the configuration, it was set to 10Mbps/Half Duplex, which is way slower than it should be. I set it to 100Mbps/Full Duplex, at which point it shut down and will not allow itself to be altered because "network cable is disconnected".

I'd appreciate any input, because frankly I'm at the end of my rope. The damn thing is plugged in, it has the right drivers, and it FRIGGING WORKED for an hour, if slowly!

Edit: Oh! Also the Asrock included "easy driver install" tool in the BIOS doesn't function, it says it can't establish an internet connection.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
durandal4532 on

• Options
    twmjrtwmjr Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    What make/model of router is it you're plugging into?

When you say it was at 10Mbps/Half, was that auto-negotiated? If not, there should be an auto-negotiation option -- select it and see if that helps.

twmjr on
  • Options
    It was auto-negotiated, it just confounded me because the wireless was 100Mbps, and that's what I'm paying for.

Router is a Netgear WNR2000v4, Modem is a Motorola Surfboard SB6121.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    Now, you say using the old SSD and HDD with Windows 7 installed. Did you do a fresh install of Windows 7, or did you just take the drive with Win7 out of the old box and put it into the new box?

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    I just took them out of the old box and put them in the new box.

• Options
    Ok. Well, Windows, starting with 7, has generally been pretty good with being able to move them to different hardware, but doing so has the potential to cause really strange behaviour with drivers and hardware and the like. Considering how strange of an issue this is it wouldn't surprise me at all if this is one of those cases where Windows is just not happy with literally every piece of hardware being changed. This is why everyone will generally recommend doing a new install of windows when you build a new computer.

If you have a spare hard drive laying around maybe try doing a windows install on that (unplug the existing hard drives to be sure you don't wipe them) and see if you run into the same issue.

But really, my recommendation would be to back up andy data from the Windows drive you want to keep and do a new install. Secondarily, while you're at it it would be a great time to do the free upgrade to Win10.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Hmmm!

Alright then, that's kind of where I was heading, not doing a clean install was the one major change from the last time I built one.

So I've got:
    -250GB SSD with Windows 7.
    -1TB HDD with a bunch of Steam games.
    -3TB HDD that's basically empty, the newest one.

Would it make sense to backup anything important on the current C:\ drive to my new big storage drive, then hit the button to get Windows 10?

Or would it be better to completely wipe the drive first?

• Options
    it has been a while since i've done the 10 upgrade but I believe in the upgrade you can tell it to "keep nothing" or something along that line. That's as good as a clean install.

if it doesn't give you that option, after you do the upgrade you can do a PC reset, which will basically wipe Win10 and give you a fresh win10 install.

• Options
    hsuhsu Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    I burned out my current motherboard's ethernet chip during a video card upgrade. Just plain forgot to disconnect the ethernet cable when inserting the new GPU, never touched the cable or motherboard, but that was enough to burn out the chip. I had to buy a PCIe ethernet card from my local Microcenter to get back online, as the rest of the motherboard worked just fine.

hsu on
    iTNdmYl.png
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    That is incredibly strange. I'm having trouble understanding what the mechanism for failure would even be.

• Options
    edited January 2016
    So I should probably update this!

Reinstalling Windows seemed to get shit to "acceptable", so it was likely a driver issue. Don't just swap in your hard drive to a complete set of brand-new parts with Windows installed and expect it to work as-is, kids!

However, I'm still getting 10mbps on the LAN and it'll occasionally not connect when I reboot sooo I finally just got a damn NIC.

Because they're $10, which means I really should have just immediately done that. Because my time is worth more than $10 an hour! Feeling pretty silly. I'll let the thread know when things are back to 100%, but my advice to anyone searching the internet for a solution is: just purchase a NIC with your parts. If you need it, that's lovely. If you don't, it was $10 out of a $1000 purchase and hey maybe you'll need it later.

Also hang on to an old-ass keyboard because holy shit working with BIOS/install stuff that sometimes refuses to recognize USB is infuriating.

Edit: in an unrelated but pretty funny issue, I accidentally installed and was running 32-bit windows for the past few days. I was getting 2 usable GB out of my 16GB of memory. Because I'm a genius. All wondering why Grim Dawn was stuttering. Re-installing correctly tonight.

durandal4532 on
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There was a apparently a memory leak issue with some Win10 Ethernet drivers a bit ago. A friend of mine was having issues with his until he updated.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    That is incredibly strange. I'm having trouble understanding what the mechanism for failure would even be.

ESD is a hell of a thing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Continuing updates! I got a NIC.

It was a PCI.

I only have PCIe slots. I did not do my due diligence there.

Soooo, with a big sale on at NewEgg I got a PCIe NIC, a USB Wireless dongle with nifty little popout antenna, and 50 feet of new Ethernet cable.

A combination of these things MUST work. I'll let you know which did next week.

• Options
    Solution!

It was the Motherboard:
    -The new NIC works consistently instead of dropping the connection, that's nice!

It was the cable, too:
    -The new cable gives me 100mbps instead of 10mbps, that's nice too!

The wireless dongle thing:
    -Looks silly as heck, but is currently giving me 144mbps, that's great!

All told replacing literally every component involved and adding a wireless dongle cost $48. I heartily recommend that if you are experiencing networking issues similar to what I was experiencing, you just do that. It's so much less annoying than trying to fix everything.