As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raid the Tombs for [steam]!

• HalfazedninjaHalfazedninja Author of Jake Howard: Multiverse 101! Behind YouRegistered User regular
    Greetings from PAX South! Here's some quick things while I'm waiting in line for the Twitch party:

- Screencheat is pretty great
    - So it Tron Run/r
    - I got a free copy of ED: Horizons :biggrin:
    - Add Red Flags and Exploding Kittens to Tabletop Simulator

I'll check in again tomorrow :biggrin:

My debut novel, JAKE HOWARD: MULTIVERSE 101!
    Switch FC: SW-7588-7027-0113, Steam/PSN: Halfazedninja

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Fallout 4: Geordie Apocalypse. Imagine the bombs fell on the North-East of England instead of Boston...

NSFW, obviously (Fallout 4's typical gore, added language).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXIps2MpAO8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S9wl50PV4E

Jazz on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Jazz wrote: »
    Fallout 4: Geordie Apocalypse. Imagine the bombs fell on the North-East of England instead of Boston...

How would you tell?

• UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Whoops, paging Dr @Iolo ^

Why didn't you just edit your existing post? XD

Also congrats, super jealous as that game looks amazing.

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    UseR2006 wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »
    Whoops, paging Dr Iolo ^

Why didn't you just edit your existing post? XD

Also congrats, super jealous as that game looks amazing.

Editing posts with notifications doesn't ping to the notified, however quoting a notification does so Iolo will definitely see it now haha

steam_sig.png
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    Houn wrote: »
    an_alt wrote: »
    Where did this come from and why have I never heard of it?

This looks wild. And ultra cheesy. Cheesy is great.

Saying "this gun is amazing" is wildly underselling it

For a game named Bombshell I would expect a protagonist other than Kristen Stewart.

Wonder if the enemies sparkle in the daylight...

Someone hasn't seen American Ultra.

I was just poking fun at her best known role. Some of my friends got really into Twilight some years back so I thought I'd least try reading about it. Expecting Bella to be somewhere between Strong Female Character(tm) and complete Mary Sue, based on other favoured heroines, it turns out she was the complete opposite. No personality. Little agency. I took a pass on the franchise.

I just thought it was funny that a game named Bombshell with a gun-toting female lead happened to feature a main character with a passing resemblance to one of the more useless protagonists in recent memory.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    @UseR2006

Because notifications which are edited in after the fact don't alert the person they're pinging.

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I mean, Bombshell is getting shit reviews, and I don't know how the game portrays its lead heroine, but she actually looks better than I remember her looking in early footage. It's a goddamned low bar, but at least she's wearing clothes.

Now if only the game wasn't a legally distinct spinoff from a different deplorably boring and shitty franchise.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    I played and finished VC on the PS3 way back when. Loved it to death and was saddened to see the series continue on the PSP. I should probably get it on Steam just because. One less reason to keep the old PS3 around (although how would I play Blu-Rays and Suikoden?).

I keep my xbox 360 as a netflix player. Although with the steam link, hum. . .

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    It was originally a Duke Nukem fan game. Pretty sure Interceptor started on it before they even did their Rise of the Triad remake. 3D Realms had given it their blessing too. If I'm not wrong and thinking of some totally other different shit, this was before Gearbox entered the picture and bought the IP. So I think that's why Interceptor thought they were still in the clear as far as using Duke goes. Who knows what 3D Realms was thinking though.

• JazzJazz Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    It was originally a Duke Nukem fan game. Pretty sure Interceptor started on it before they even did their Rise of the Triad remake. 3D Realms had given it their blessing too. If I'm not wrong and thinking of some totally other different shit, this was before Gearbox entered the picture and bought the IP. So I think that's why Interceptor thought they were still in the clear as far as using Duke goes. Who knows what 3D Realms was thinking though.

They were thinking?

• FirebirdFirebird Harbinger....of.....~something. Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Not many showed up for tonight's FNG of Rocket League, which is a shame, but we did get a 2v2 going with @Sumanai, @Karoz, @TetraRay and myself.
    Playing various modes; including, Demolition, Moonball, Beach Ball, Pinball and Unlimited Boost modes.

Sumi proved a worthy foe, and Tetra has shown a growing skill with the game, but Karoz.

Man, Karoz....
    His feelings of inadequacy towards his ability to hit a ball has transferred into bursts of violence towards his fellow man.
    Taking each and every turn to run over his opponents and making sure they explode in eternal Hellfire.

As though he was reliving Fury Road in mind; his world was fire and blood...
    Which was made all the more convenient as I was wearing a Mad Max skin.

It was fun, and often hilarious, so thanks guys!

Firebird on
    steam_sig.png

STEAM ID: Firebird
    XBOX Live: FirebirdLR
    Playstation: FirebirdXR
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Apparently it's duke 3d's 20th birthday. 3D realms might not be too impressive today, but they still created one of the greatest fps games to this day. I should play some duke this weekend.

Steam: offday
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Hello Steam Thread!

Wu6k8bY.jpg

It's time for the traditional Hobbit Birthday Celebration! Here are some games either I thought were fun, or I was told by some very smart people were fun. All end on Tuesday, on the day where we celebrate both the day of my birth and of course the resurrection of the Holy Groundhog.

Enter one! Enter them all! Help me celebrate my last year before I turn the big 40 in 2017 and slide into a midlife crisis and can't afford any giveaways because I'm too busy buying a sports car and/or motorcycle! (Open to Adventure Team members)

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

signature.png

• SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    It was fun indeed, a bunch of 2v2 with wacky modes. @Karoz was on a mission, while the three of us were (mostly) trying to hit the ball he was on full demolition mode, always looking for blood. :twisted:

camo_sig2.png
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    SkutSkut wrote: »

I was with it up until the bullet hell bosses. It was very close to getting added to the list. But just generally speaking, bullet hell is a big old nope.

I would have wanted this sort of anime game, mixing anthro girls and intense action, but why do these sorts of games start their trailers with cutscenes of the girls rather than gameplay......answered my own question, didn't I?

Sunless Sea

1 point of hull
    1 gallon of fuel reserve
    1 crate of supplies
    66 Terror
    1 crate of souls

Checks out.

edit: Bumped into a rock and died as I was typing that post.

RoyceSraphim on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Now if only the game wasn't a legally distinct spinoff from a different deplorably boring and shitty franchise.

I don't really know much about the console games, but if we're sticking to the PC games only you have three awesome games, one decent game, and one supremely mediocre game, so shut your piehole already.

• destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    Sumanai wrote: »
    It was fun indeed, a bunch of 2v2 with wacky modes. @Karoz was on a mission, while the three of us were (mostly) trying to hit the ball he was on full demolition mode, always looking for blood. :twisted:

I wish there were a different or second game night. I can't participate in Friday night games hardly ever.

steam_sig.png
  • an_altan_alt Registered User regular
    I mean, Bombshell is getting shit reviews, and I don't know how the game portrays its lead heroine, but she actually looks better than I remember her looking in early footage. It's a goddamned low bar, but at least she's wearing clothes.

I quite enjoy female main characters. I also enjoy science fiction. Unfortunately, it's incredibly rare that either is done well. A lack of clothing doesn't bother me, but a lack of personality does. It seems writers always play it so safe with female leads that they fall into a handful of archetypes.

A current favourite is Strong Female Character(tm) like Lightening in FF13. It was like she was designed by a committee given criteria that the game couldn't be criticised for sexism. They succeeded and I'm sure her favourite color is taupe. There's absolutely nothing interesting about her. If there was no conflict, she would probably be an accountant.

Then there's Abused Girl who had terrible things happen to her at a young age by various Bad People. She's young, tough, short haired, and angry at the world. She has a heart of gold under all the layers. At least she has some personality, but it's all a result of someone else's actions. Think Jack in Mass Effect, who is one of the better example of this type. Still, she couldn't be a badass of her own volition...

Of course, you have Quirky/Indie girl. Look at her! She's so spontaneous! So awkward! Yawn.

At least Quirky-Crazy Woman has some personality. She might even be a bad person. It's the craziness which gives the writers cover to actually give her a personality and some moral ambiguity to your Harley Quinn. This should be a fun aside, but it's probably my favourite category just because the others are so much worse.

I wish I could play a female Dr. House. A terrible human only allowed to keep her position because of her incredible skill. The dark sense of humour makes her slightly relatable. Imagine Mrs. Toni Soprano - a horrible person who alternates between touches of humanity and reminders of why you could never idealize her. Think of any character on the first three seasons of The Wire. Nobody is entirely good or bad. Most of them do have a choice, but they opt not to take it. What do all these potential characters have in common? They're all interesting, complicated, and most importantly compelling.

Hollywood understands that we like looking at gorgeous guys in great shape (though I could do without the stubble that's en vogue) and beautiful women also in great shape. I'm fine with that and I certainly don't mind watching attractive people. I just wish game writers would more often put some real personality into into the women we play.

Pony wrote:
    I think that the internet has been for years on the path to creating what is essentially an electronic Necronomicon: A collection of blasphemous unrealities so perverse that to even glimpse at its contents, if but for a moment, is to irrevocably forfeit a portion of your sanity.
    Xbox - PearlBlueS0ul, Steam
    If you ever need to talk to someone, feel free to message me. Yes, that includes you.
    It was fun indeed, a bunch of 2v2 with wacky modes. Karoz was on a mission, while the three of us were (mostly) trying to hit the ball he was on full demolition mode, always looking for blood. :twisted:

I wish there were a different or second game night. I can't participate in Friday night games hardly ever.

Second Rocket League game night? Just say when and where and I'll be there. Game nights can be whenever we want and there's people up for it. FNG is just the "official" one.

camo_sig2.png
  • DyasAlureDyasAlure SeattleRegistered User regular

I would be down for a different night. This coming week I have Mon, Tue, Wed off. I want to do tabletop stuff, but am down for a game I have.

My%20Steam.png?psid=1My%20Twitch%20-%20Mass%20Effect.png?psid=1=1My%20Youtube.png?psid=1
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular

I don't really know much about the console games, but if we're sticking to the PC games only you have three awesome games, one decent game, and one supremely mediocre game, so shut your piehole already.
    I'd say one awesome game. I haven't played manhattan project though, so I cant really say anything about that, but duke nukem 1 and 2 are just generic DOS platformers. and DOS platformers usually aren't that good. Keen being like, the one exception.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    Kalnaur wrote: »
    Aistan wrote: »
    signature.png

Ends Sunday at noon PST.

I never played the first TR.

*twitch*

I've never played any Tomb Raider.

I played a few minutes of the original on the PS1 (yuck!) and about an hour of the rerelease on Wii. So yeah, TR has not been impressive at all. I hear that the reboot was good, but in that cinematic Uncharted kind of way (another series I never played).

Tomb Raider has had a few reboots.

There were six or so games on the Saturn, PS1, DC and maybe PS2. The first was pretty cool for the time. They went downhill pretty quickly and did not age well at all. There is a small contingent of the internet that believes otherwise, but they are pants-on-head crazy.

Then Tomb Raider Legacy came out for Xbox/360/PS2/GC and revitalized the series. Notably it ditched the tank controls and a lot of the terrible grimdark crap that they'd done in the first six games. Remember, it was the 90s and grimdark was cool.

Anniversary followed that and was originally a PC/PS2/PSP game that got ported to Xbox 360 as DLC for Legacy. I didn't realize they'd done a Wii port, but I'm guessing it was done with all of the care normally given Wii ports. I cannot imagine that having been a good way to get acquainted. :)

Underworld followed THAT and was a really good game, as long as you don't have a thing about spiders because it has spiders the size of large dogs.

Lots of people call that the LAU trilogy. It brought the character back from having been more or less a punchline and made her relevant again.

Then came TR2013, which blew pretty much everyone's mind except for the people who still think that tank controls are awesome.

Side games: There were a pair of isometric-view puzzle action games, both called Lara Croft and the Something Of Something Or Other. I've only played the first, but it was really good, best played with a couch co-op partner.

Finally, there's a mobile game called Lara Croft GO which is turn based and again isometric view. It's fantastic and you can play it on Android/iOS/Windows Phone and also on Windows 10.

• BeryllineBerylline One Tiara to rule them all Registered User regular
    Oh my goodness. Please send help. I've apparently already put 29 hours into World's Dawn (a harvest moon clone), which came out on Monday. How is that even possible? :bigfrown: I don't think I left it running for a super long time while I was away from the computer. (Granted, I had two days off work during that time, but still...) On the plus side, I'll probably do everything there is to do before the end of February, when Stardew Valley comes out...

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    Played some Starward Rogue. It's pretty much Binding of Isaac: Mech Edition. So, you know, if twin stick bullet-hell shootin' bots is your thing, it's fun.

• CorsiniCorsini Registered User regular
    @Antoshka does not understand birthdays!
    aXazgKo.png
    Thank you for Prelogate. And happy birthday.

steam_sig.png
    Steam Badger A greasemonkey script for better gifting and peering
    Can more games just drop a single image explaining their HUD?

I'm enjoying Sunless Sea but should not have to experiment to realize that this is another version of my health meter.

edited January 2016
    Corsini wrote: »
    Antoshka does not understand birthdays!

I'll say...
    ekZ3UHh.png

That's not how this works, that's not how any of this works! Thank you @Antoshka and I hope you had a great day! <3

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Darkest Dungeon has been some of the most fun I've had with a game for quite a long time. Dear god it's hilarious watching my friends go insane in the dark.

Why yes, I always name my characters after my friends - don't you?

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    I had such a fun day playing SFV beta. It's much better than I thought it'd be. Solid and a definite improvement from IV. I went to a few tournaments early in IV's life to compete, but eventually gave it up as the game turned into something I wasn't interested in playing anymore (though I have watched thousands of hours of streams and really enjoy spectating it). We'll see what happens, but I may go to a tournament or two during SFV's lifetime.

Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • UseR2006UseR2006 MelbourneRegistered User regular
    pq5ymccmw8fj.jpg
    ctoyvbxstvns.jpg

@Antoshka is the best kind of monster.
    Also apparently it's a cardinal sin or something to not know about Valkyria Chronicles... so i've been sentenced to attend Pony Island :O

"I know you've been online.... There are lots of people that don't have that voice, that makes them ask themselves if what they make is shit or not." [img][/img]WJnjIS1.png
    steam_sig.png

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Firebird wrote: »
    Not many showed up for tonight's FNG of Rocket League, which is a shame, but we did get a 2v2 going with Sumanai, Karoz, TetraRay and myself.
    Playing various modes; including, Demolition, Moonball, Beach Ball, Pinball and Unlimited Boost modes.

Sumi proved a worthy foe, and Tetra has shown a growing skill with the game, but Karoz.

Man, Karoz....
    His feelings of inadequacy towards his ability to hit a ball has transferred into bursts of violence towards his fellow man.
    Taking each and every turn to run over his opponents and making sure they explode in eternal Hellfire.

As though he was reliving Fury Road in mind; his world was fire and blood...
    Which was made all the more convenient as I was wearing a Mad Max skin.

It was fun, and often hilarious, so thanks guys!
    It was fun indeed, a bunch of 2v2 with wacky modes. Karoz was on a mission, while the three of us were (mostly) trying to hit the ball he was on full demolition mode, always looking for blood. :twisted:

Heh, nice of you to say but I just felt like a jerk. Acting like one didn't help either.

My (originally non-jerk) line of thinking is I suck at driving and knocking around a ball is just beyond me. It's either a super whiff, bounces in the wrong direction, or I'm crashing into my teammate. So, why spend all that effort going after a ball traveling in three dimensions and being rather unpredictable when I can spend it on hitting mostly two dimensional travelling targets with much more predictable movements albeit much smaller than the ball? Recharging/infinite boost did not help my decision making.

Got me quite a few times back though.

I keep saying I'll try to behave better and then I don't. I'm really sorry about that.

Karoz on
  • ReverseCreationsReverseCreations Registered User regular
    incidentally enough, it did answer the question.
    leeqyd2wh8q8.jpg

Thanks @Antoshka Happy birthday you monster

1C54320038BDF735D2D088D168D6275F7F2FBE3C
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Pony Island is an immensely clever little game actually.

It's not what you might think it is based on the title.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    Ran out of fuel and slit my wrists to earn more.

Accidentally tossed my fuel overboard, not understanding it had to be in my hold to be loaded into the engine.

If your hold is full when you slit your wrists for fuel, you do not fuel up.

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote: »
    So guys my hunger for mystery games led a friend to recommend me Black Closet, an indie game on Steam, and....it's pretty great!

You are the student council president at a fancy all-girls private boarding school and your job is to prevent scandals from ruining the school's reputation by solving problems and menacing troublemakers. You're like half Veronica Mars and half Gestapo.

The game generates cases procedurally. A girl might have run away, or school supplies could be going missing, or someone is spreading gossip, or a g-g-ghost is haunting the dorm. And there are more serious problems, like drugs or suicide threats. Each species of problem has several subtypes - sometimes the suicidal girl is depressed about a breakup, sometimes about a test, other times she's the victim of malicious gossip from one of her friends or nother ome at all was at fault and it's all a big misunderstanding.

You send your Student Council minions to question witnesses, search crime scenes, tail suspects, harass troublemakers, and so forth. Your friends have stats that make each of them more likely to succeed at certain jobs, and those skills can be raised through experience. You can't take too many school days to work a case, though, or events will build to a disastrous climax (the billionaire alum's daughter fails her big test, someone ODs, the stolen selfies are posted online).

It actually works! I didn't think procedural mystery generation was possible, but this game cracks it by turning it into, effectively, a worker-placement puzzle. But the semantic content isn't just fluff; you have to pay attention to the text to figure out what you're doing. They aren't hopelessly divorced from one another.

There's also an overarching, non-procedural story involving you, your friends, death threats, and a conspiracy to destroy the school. And your friends can be chatted to and have their own stories and wuestlines (and romances).

I was super skeptical when my bro suggested this, because the screenshots made it look like anime lesbian high school porn simulator 3000, but it's a completely legit, addictive, and well-written little game so far. I recommend it!

~desc ~Elldren ~Shivahn ~surrealitycheck ~Pony ~MrAnthropy
    @Pixelated Pixie

edited January 2016
    Sunless Seas uninstalled, bought along with Arcen game titles next paycheck.......struggling not to download Bionic Dues again, must stab at backlog.

Any female wrestling games on steam?

Wow, imagine a wrestling game where your wrestling was backed by a dynamic political system like Mount and Blade: Warband's where you had people jumping ship and forming alliances all the type. A massive pecking order between four major wrestling factions.

edit:
    Pixie, please rank the various Hanako games for us, since cB557 brought up black closet.

RoyceSraphim on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Pony Island is an immensely clever little game actually.

It's not what you might think it is based on the title.

Is it actually a peninsula?

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Tomb Raider has had a few reboots.

There were six or so games on the Saturn, PS1, DC and maybe PS2. The first was pretty cool for the time. They went downhill pretty quickly and did not age well at all. There is a small contingent of the internet that believes otherwise, but they are pants-on-head crazy.

Then Tomb Raider Legacy came out for Xbox/360/PS2/GC and revitalized the series. Notably it ditched the tank controls and a lot of the terrible grimdark crap that they'd done in the first six games. Remember, it was the 90s and grimdark was cool.

Anniversary followed that and was originally a PC/PS2/PSP game that got ported to Xbox 360 as DLC for Legacy. I didn't realize they'd done a Wii port, but I'm guessing it was done with all of the care normally given Wii ports. I cannot imagine that having been a good way to get acquainted. :)

Underworld followed THAT and was a really good game, as long as you don't have a thing about spiders because it has spiders the size of large dogs.

Lots of people call that the LAU trilogy. It brought the character back from having been more or less a punchline and made her relevant again.

Then came TR2013, which blew pretty much everyone's mind except for the people who still think that tank controls are awesome.

Side games: There were a pair of isometric-view puzzle action games, both called Lara Croft and the Something Of Something Or Other. I've only played the first, but it was really good, best played with a couch co-op partner.

Finally, there's a mobile game called Lara Croft GO which is turn based and again isometric view. It's fantastic and you can play it on Android/iOS/Windows Phone and also on Windows 10.

You've posted equal parts shaky history and terrible opinions, let me clarify:

There were five games in the "original" Tomb Raider series (four main games, and a fifth game that had a bunch of "flashback" stories). The first game was released on the Saturn, the last two on the Dreamcast, and all five hit the PS1. Not sure where you got the "grimdark" idea from, but if you had played any of them you'd know that they all sort of followed the same pace - Lara Croft runs around exotic locales looking for something (the featured the standard mix of historical references and mysticism that is a staple of the explorer genre) and the story was always your typical Indiana Jones fare. I won't expand upon the early games too much except to say that if you loved the first Tomb Raider, than you were in luck, because each successive game in the original series was basically just "more Tomb Raider" but with new features and moves. Reviewers started to complain after a while that newer games in the series had gotten "stale", but would continue to give high scores to THPS games from the era that had the exact same style of progression between sequels because games journalists have always been awful.

After that there was Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness, a reboot that did actually go all grimdark. It didn't do too well commercially or in reviews. It tried a few new things like a "darker" story tone (murder!), more open levels (Parisian streets!), upgradable abilities for Lara (you pushed this thing, so now you can push heavier things!), and a second playable character (a mysterious mercenary with a magical Xena frisbee!), but it bombed for a reason - it was clunky, there were plenty of bugs, and the tone was out of place compared to what players were expecting after the previous games, and as a result the franchise was backburnered for a while.

Then, there was Tomb Raider Legend, the second reboot. After Legend was Tomb Raider Anniversary, a remake of the first Tomb Raider set in the Legend timeline. After that was Tomb Raider Underworld, which was a direct sequel to Legend. This "HD Trilogy" is a ton of fun to play through, and is a really solid entry point for people who want to check out earlier games in the franchise but aren't interested in trying the more difficult/less streamlined early games in the series. Legend did away with the tank controls of the original series in exchange for something less precise (but more realistic), and added a "support crew" for Lara to talk to while she was in the field. Anniversary brings you back to the theme of exploration/isolation that was a core part of the original game, although sadly many areas were truncated and some story elements were changed. Underworld was a bit rushed and gets a little soap opera-y toward the end but is still fun and finishes the story that ended with a cliffhanger in Legend.

Then, there was Tomb Raider 2013, the tenth game in the series and the third reboot. Now we have Rise of the Tomb Raider, a direct sequel to TR2013. Tomb Raider 2013 is still an absolutely awful Tomb Raider game (Uncharted is created and rips off the Tomb Raider franchise, now the Tomb Raider franchise rips off Uncharted... what a wild world we live in), but is probably one of the best action games released in the past decade. I haven't played Rise yet, but so far pretty much everyone I have heard talking about it has absolutely loved it (amusingly enough, they say it's pretty much exactly like TR2013, so we'll have to see if the new series falls prey to the "staleness" that pervaded the first one).

If you're interested in playing the older games in the series than the complete pack usually drops down to dirt cheap during the seasonal Steam sales, and you get a shiiiiitload of gaming for the fifteen-ish bucks they usually charge for it (although this will change if they start including Rise in it). The "Lara Croft and the..." games sometimes aren't included because "they're not Tomb Raider games" (they focus on linear co-op play instead of exploration and resource gathering), but they are a lot of fun to play with a partner and you can jump into them without any knowledge of earlier games in the series other than "Lara Croft is basically Indiana Jones with twice as many guns".

This discussion has been closed.