As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Converting Video Files to DVD?

Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club ChampionA fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
Hey guys, I'm having a hell of a time trying to figure this out. Is there a program out there that will convert and burn video files, such as webm, MPEG, MP4, AVI, etc. into a format that will play on a standard off-the-shelf DVD player? My mom wants to be able to do this because she'd like to burn them for her older friends who don't have access to or are really unfamiliar with computers.

As an example, I've used Firefox extensions to download Youtube videos into various formats like MPEG and AVI, and have tried to burn those onto DVDs using the default Windows 10 File Exporer, but it doesn't seem to work. I've also tried converting them via VLC but it doesn't look like the player supports the weird DVD-standard format with all the folders and random files everywhere.

Thanks!

• Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    I haven't done this in years but look up DVD authoring software in the googles. a quick search of "DVD authoring software" gives a lot of results, but none I can personally vouch for.

If Microsoft still makes Windows Movie Maker, that is the one I know of that works and is free from eons ago.

Also, yadda yadda yadda only do this for legal stuff yadda yadda yadda.

XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I used DVDflick way back when I had to burn a couple of discs for a similar reason. It's FOSS and worked well enough to create a ghetto DVD.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Thanks guys!

• Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    @Inquisitor77
    I use Freemake DVD Converter to convert from web formats into DVD's often. It's pretty straight forward and you can do most of your conversions in the single program.

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited January 2016
    Awesome, I'll add that to the list. These videos I get, I swear they're like recorded by handheld 1980's cameras in China or something. It's never a straightforward thing, so I'm sure I'll need like 27 programs when this is all said and done. Thanks!

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    NijaNija Registered User regular
    So, I do this a lot for work (downloading videos from the net and converting them for judges, attorney's and other counsel).
    Here are some helpful items:

Video DownloadHelper (Firefox add-on)
    Ant.com Video downloader (Firefox add-on)
    YTD Video Downloader (YouTube Download Video Downloader) [Stand alone installation)
    Cool VOB to WMV Converter
    Handbrake
    Audacity
    Gspot (this looks shady as hell and hasn't been updated since 2007 but it is very good at identifying codecs)
    http://gspot.headbands.com/

Enjoy!

Priest lvl 110 Warlock lvl 9x DK lvl 110 Paladin lvl 9x Rogue lvl 8x

Steam Me
  • Options
    Just following up that Freemake seems to have done the job. Yay! I'll keep this list of stuff handy though, as I'm sure I'll run into codecs and conversions that will require some ridiculous format supports.

Thanks again!